• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 36
Posts: 36   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9814 times and has 35 replies Next Thread
CraftingProj

Round 3 Feedback for Shad - now open!

This thread is for feedback on the GCPP Shad puzzle. We will collect feedback for a few weeks (at least until January 4th).

Play now!

Please try to share your thoughts on these areas:

* How easy was it to learn to play?
* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)
* Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun?
* Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle?
* Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?
* Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun?
* What is your favorite part of the game?
* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?

Please concentrate on whether the game is fun to play, and not on the quality of graphics, animations, sounds, etc. If this game is chosen for YPP, we will add all that.

Do not post suggestions for improvement to this thread. Those should go here instead.

Thread is open for feedback.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by CraftingProj at Dec 29, 2008 6:31:14 AM]
[Dec 28, 2008 1:38:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kaoma

Re: Round 3 Feedback for Shad - now open!

easy after I found out how to get primary colors that are not on the board
* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)
it is addicting for me
I liked it very much
aye but more for weavery
* Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?
right
are there levels?
make all pieces in all colors at once
* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?
aye, if you get some restrictions in like a maximum of moves or something like that
Orchidee, on Cerulean and all other oceans

Don't call me Orc! I'm a flower not a beast
[Dec 29, 2008 3:51:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Happyharlot

How easy was it to learn to play?
Mmm...not really, I still don't think I totally understand everything yet.

Could be, I think once I would figure it out a little better (changing the color) I would be more addicted.

Same as above. I love the concept and I think it seems really exciting. I like the similarity to "foraging" which is one of my faves.

Yes I think it could, I liked the "filling orders" part.

This seemed long, but again maybe with more practice I would get better and it wouldn't take so long for me.

I really couldn't get past the first setting, wasn't sure about how to set it higher.

Again I like the forage like feature, and I like the color mixing, just didn't totally grasp it yet.

Sure.
Cheers,
Happyharlot
Viridian and Ocean Wide, (Nanncy on Hunter)
Make a Playlist to Share with Your Fellow Pirates :)

[Dec 29, 2008 3:56:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sara_Sparrow

Very.

I found it somewhat addicting.

I thought so.

It could.

Not too long. It felt about right.

Was there more than one?

It seemed familiar in a way.

Probably.
Sarahsparrow of Cerulean
Captain of Barnacle for Brains
Lady of Riot

[Dec 29, 2008 6:08:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Arnora

I admit that my first reaction upon seeing the board was something along the lines of "dear god!" But it ended up being easier to understand than I thought.

It definitely kept my attention. Not enough to call it addictive just yet, but with some neat graphics and a bit more time playing it has potential to get there.

It was for me.

Not for furnishing at all. But it would make an excellent tailoring or weaving puzzle.

It felt fairly short to me.

I only tried the default.

setting things up so that I can finish all the orders with one cut

I'm sure it would if you forced ult players to make larger and more complicated combos
Arnora on all Green oceans, but mainly Viridian

SO of Die By The Sword
Princess of Post Mortem
[Dec 29, 2008 9:33:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sharktailz

* How easy was it to learn to play? Difficult! I am with Happyharlot - I'm not totally sure that I have figured everything out yet. I read the rules, I tried very hardly to comprehend the goal, but I am still stuck.
* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle) Seeing as I do not understand what the objective is, I have to score this addiction level very low. I didn't have to force myself to play (I enjoyed grouping the different colors together and swapping them around, so that really kept me in there). Overall, perhaps 3.7/10.
* Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun? Fairly. Maybe when I finally understand the rules (yes, I have brought up that I do not know the rules again! Last time, I swear...) it could be fun, but not highly at the moment. I can't see myself playing this just because - maybe if some needed labor is involved.
* Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle? I am on the fence... the swapping of pieces is very similar to current piracy puzzles, and it would really blend in quite well.
* Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right? Success! After trying a good number of times during a short "feedback break" I grasped how to play the puzzle! Normally it takes me around 8-10 minutes. Although I feel this is a satisfying amount of time, I would prefer this to be a tad shorter. It felt like it dragged on. I could definitely become swifter with more and more activity, but at the moment it takes me longer than I can handle after a few rounds.
* Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun? I left it at the normal settings. Didn't want to tamper! It was difficult enough.
* What is your favorite part of the game? Having to build up the pieces to a certain extent was really fun - especially when you need a piece on the other side of the board and you have to find a way to get it through a wall of another color without altering its state!
* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players? Yes, definitely. It is very hard, even at the first level. It would surely provide a challenge to those "Ult" level players!
Sharktail, Sage. Avatar by Phillite!

Laptop done broked'd! PM me if you need anything.
[Dec 29, 2008 9:48:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://twitter.com/SharktailYPP [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

It took a few times to grasp the concept.

I found it fascinating. I would keep playing, but I am not sure it's a full blown addiction.

I would say it is more intriguing. I enjoy it though, so yes, I guess fun could be the word.

It strikes me more for weaving but it does work.

At first I felt it was rather long, but then I realized I didn't have to do all of the numbers at once. It got better from there.

I don't recall seeing how to change settings, but I like how unique the set up was, even though the rotation made me think of foraging.

I think it will be very challenging for ults. I do think it may be frustrating for the basic labor players though. Perhaps with clearer instructions, or an easier setting.
Jolyma

[Dec 29, 2008 9:56:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ppplushies

No. It was probably the hardest to learn how to play, and one of the most confusing.

I kinda forced myself to keep playing, The problem was the it was too hard for me to score well right off the bat, so it got a little boring.

Same as above.

It does, but you're not really making anything, just painting.

It seemed too long. Wasn't sure if it was time based, but if it was... well, I fail.

Didn't know there were higher settings >.> Hell, if there's higher settings then a bunch of twisty-things, 5 (or 6?) colours, then this puzzle is impossible >.>

Trying to win.

No, there'd be too little of a competition pool. So many people would swarm the puzzle, but would only score low while other people would constantly do well. There would only be 1-3 top players.
Kadazzle
[Dec 29, 2008 10:22:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Loren_S

moderately. especialy the special pieces proved difficult. Interface can be cleaned up quite a bit. It took a while till I figured out what the orders were and such.

High.

Its fun and combines foraging, bilging and alchemie. The current pieces are a b it confusing and should be changed

Its clearly a weaving puzzle atm. With different graphics it suites well to furnishing also.

10-15 minutes but I played it fast with little prethinking. On high levels it has the potential of dragging out for ages (like alchemie). High levels will probably be much too long to be fun. Some timing element like SY or bilge might solve that.

Just tried the default one. Easier, with less pieces and a bit faster paced might be better. But as crafting puzzle not overly timesensitive

Rainbow and stiches... once I figured that out

Yes. But likely the high level needs some work in balancing. It currently has probably too many options (the other extrem to blacksmithing which has too few in the high end IMHO).
CoatOSilver, Captain of Forget About It, Retired King of ©©©, Sage
[Dec 30, 2008 5:31:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MrTeatime

I had problems understanding game play. But that was, because in every start there was a rainbow piece already connecting different shapes.

Scoring is a bit odd. I started a game and took a lot of moves to build a large group of different colors and ended up with Perfect furnishing^9 and -1149 points. Of course it is a good idea punishing many moves, but calling it "Perfect" and awarding a big minus is not logical.

Its addiction is similar to alchemy. I like to play some games and at some point I have enough.

It is fun to play, but I cannot really get into the work I am doing. (see next)

The analogy works for furnishing, but does not feel completely right. Even before I looked at the YPPedia page I had the feeling that the puzzle would suit weaving better.

The time is about right, maybe a bit too long. But I get the same feeling in alchemy ;)

The starting setup is a good mix. Like another game of the GCPP last week or the week before it is hard to tweak the settings without getting too hard or too easy.

Finding an optimal solution to fulfill many orders in less moves.

I think that there is a limit for the parameters. Beyond that limit the game will become unplayable. So at that point the game cannot get harder. But since the pieces are randomly generated there is no precedure to learn.
Eldrick auf Opal
Leitender Offizier (Senior Officer) der Ghosts of Darkness
Priester des dunklen Lords El Pollo
[Dec 30, 2008 9:45:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    mrteatime2001    JonathanTeatime    22517701 [Link]  Go to top 
CurlyKidd

I was able to pick up how to play the game pretty quickly. It was fun and somewhat addictive even. But I think the analogy works better for weavery was it was first designed rather than furniture. The time it took per game seemed about right, and I enjoyed trying to get as many colors setup per try as I could. I think it could even be a challenge at the high level.
[Dec 30, 2008 10:08:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    tr1265 [Link]  Go to top 
randompanzy

[quote]How easy was it to learn to play?
Easy to play but you have no idea what to do more instructions would be awesome

Pretty adicting

yes! it is like alchistry with a twist.

Yes!

too long but with instructions it would be just right

Basic settings

i like the mix of foraging and alchistry it is kinda cool

yes!
Randompanzy on every ocean mainly Viridian
SO of Puzzling Privateers
Royal of Imperial Madness

Tranquilized says, u kno yer notorious for lagging? xD

Donsmythe wrote: Welcome to Yohoho Puzzle Pirates Vista

[Dec 30, 2008 3:04:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.teamepsilon.net    phillip1904    GB Fayt    I'm a little kitty that goes MOO! :D [Link]  Go to top 
perfectteen

It's so confusing to learn - I still don't get it.

What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)

It seems like an interesting puzzle, but if I don't understand how to play I won't try.

Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun?

I imagine that it would be if I understood it more.

Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle?

It remind me too much of Foraging and Alchemy - even with the relation to those two crafting puzzles, it doesn't seem like much of Furnishing puzzle to me.

Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?

I think it takes a bit too long to finish.

Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun?

If there are more, I couldn't get past the first setting.

What is your favorite part of the game?

The colour mixing is interesting.

If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?

For sure. I don't think I could get past respected with the amount of knowledge I have in this game.

Nemesis broadcasts,

"The skellies are on the move. All hail Nemesis."

[Edit 1 times, last edit by perfectteen at Dec 30, 2008 5:10:20 PM]
[Dec 30, 2008 5:09:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Anneogram

* How easy was it to learn to play? Havent fully learnt what was going on, especially with the special pieces like the rainbow piece (I also think there were special pieces I managed to ignore)

* What is the addiction factor? Even when I didnt have a clue what was going on, I did enjoy playing it, quite addictive

* Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun? It was fun for me

* Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle? Very good analogy for an Egyptian crafting puzzle if there was a job sorting hieroglyphic pieces. Weaving is the most logical of the possibilities.

10-15 minutes, about right, it kept my attention but need to understand what all the special pieces do and the impact on scoring. I scored a very good score but more from luck than planning

Need to understand the special pieces to understand the skill level Im playing at.

* What is your favorite part of the game? I enjoyed the general style of game

* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players? Possibly, my scoring was achieved by luck rather than skill which so it might not be a challenge for Ults.
[Dec 30, 2008 5:40:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmberLeo

Not too bad. It took a few tries, and some futzing, but the basic movement isn't complicated, and the relationship between the shapes and colors along the bottom is straight forward. The movement is even easier to remember now that we have Foraging up. I remember playing this before that, though, so they still get credit for the creative idea. ;)

My one point of confusion is that the color mixing has to be memorized. I get the math when I stop to ponder, but it's severely counter-intuitive. Purple and Green don't make Blue in either pigment or dye/ink, and Green is primary in light, so adding half measures of red and blue would just get you paler Green. That said, if the color mixing was more like Alchemistry, you'd probably be ok. I don't mean to belabor the point, except that for me it looms quite large (no pun intended). There might still be a problem for the color blind? Especially since the symbols distinctly do NOT correlate with the colors.

Speaking of the symbols - I know this can be corrected with art, but it's still a learning-curve/functionality question: It took me a while to get past "Squiggles, and... Ziggles?" and into clearly and quickly seeing which symbols were which. Even now, I have trouble figuring out what the combined pieces are combining.

So it would help a great deal if they were something overtly familiar, like basic polygons, gem shapes, astrological symbols, runes, etc. Whatever they are, they can combine as long as they're always the same height, but being a little less complicated and random-looking would make them much easier to parse during gameplay.

* What is the addiction factor?
Alas, it's actually far more addicting than it is fun. I can sit clicking on this for far, far too long without noticing time passing.

Yes, I do find it fun.

I find that I have no idea how my actions will relate to scoring when I'm done, but I'm not sure I care, so I'm not sure the aspects I find fun are what result in good scores. Since I have similar problems with Alchemistry, which remains my favorite crafting game, this is not necessarily a bad thing.

For weaving, yes, which to be fair is what was originally intended.

For Furnishing? Hmm, I don't know. Maybe I'm making plywood, or inlaid veneers? No, I'm cutting chunks, so that doesn't make sense...

Alas, I think the design actively interferes with finding an appropriate Furnishing gloss, but with good art anything is possible, I guess.

* Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game?
I am still not so good at measuring time, but the length doesn't feel out of place. It feels a little bit long, but like I'd speed up with practice, which is good, no?

I'm not sure what settings to test, and random settings beget random opinions. That said, the base settings seem plenty fun enough to me.

Ironically, I like that the bonus pieces hinder as much as they help. Instead of feeling like there are bailouts posted all over the board, I feel like there are strategic pieces I have to use with consideration.

I'm not clear what the white squares do, though...

I don't know - I suspect it will depend on exactly how scoring works between players. I don't think it will be any more interesting for them than it is at excellent, so much as that they will be able to compete with each other for high scores indefinitely without experiencing anything new.

--Ember--
Furnishing Project - Gilthead
Proposal: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/GCPP:Proposal-Gilthead
Thread: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=97545
Prototype: http://albert.best.vwh.net/gilthead/GiltHead.html
[Edit 3 times, last edit by EmberLeo at Dec 30, 2008 11:58:50 PM]
[Dec 30, 2008 11:40:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gawynn

Testing Information:

Played for two sessions of about half an hour each; about 10-15 games. Maximum score was 9.9 (approx 1050 points on 110 moves), average score ranged from about 5-7 I think.

The basic game was easy to figure out, even without instructions. The more advanced pieces weren't obvious, but once figured out they're easy to play with. The strategy of the game isn't very complex, so no problems there.

Weak to moderate. The game feels too similar to other puzzles, but the features and tricks are too contrived.. also, success is too sparse and fleeting. The result is that it doesn't flow well and doesn't keep the hits coming.

So-so. Most of the fun comes from the pin and rainbow pieces... deciding where to join globs of patterns to maximize use of the special pieces. Other than that, it's just brute force which isn't fun.

Perhaps, but not the carpentry or weaving they've portrayed it as. Similarity to other puzzles doesn't help in this case.. instead of feeling like other crafting puzzles (manipulation) it feels like bilging or foraging, which are "persistance"-style puzzles.. (hacking away or pumping away).

About 3-5 minutes, but it depends on how long choose to spend thinking. One thing I like about this puzzle (as I've said for other prototypes) is that it's a move-based, non-timed puzzle. That said, Shad doesn't really have a lot of reward for pensive, careful planning.

Only played the standard settings. There's a lot of possible settings here so there may be better arrangements (either fewer colours or fewer columns, to make it harder to avoid collisions and easier to get globs) but they'd need to be provided in the demo as "presets".

As above, the pin and rainbow pieces. These change the game from brute force sorting to a more strategic interlocking of pattern globs.

I didn't get that good at the game, but I don't think so... the puzzle's difficulty is pretty static and I don't see a lot of potential for increasing that without changing the fundamentals.

Overall, I like the thinking nature of the puzzle but the extras feel contrived and it feels too much like other puzzles without being a good fit for crafting. Good start, but too raw from a game theory perspective.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Gawynn at Dec 31, 2008 10:48:41 AM]
[Dec 31, 2008 10:45:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kittycool

On my first game, I had no idea what I was doing, then on my second game I had a sketchy idea of the rules. After that, I understood perfectly.

I found it very addicting.

Yes, I enjoyed playing it.

I thought it fit better as weaving than as furnishing, but it worked for furnishing too.

I thought it was just about right.

I liked the standard settings.

The special pieces, they made it more fun.

Not really, after a few games, I was just getting about the same score again and again.
Kittyocool on Hunter
[Dec 31, 2008 11:45:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
camelama

Not easy at all - where are the instructions? I still feel like I'm missing a giant chunk of whattheheck-ness about the game

Had to force myself, doesn't tempt me at all.

Not for me, sorry. :(

No, to me it seems more like a puzzle for making electronics components. It reminded me of electronic flow chart symbols and such.

Felt too long.

THere are levels?!

Making multiple colors

Not sure, since I don't know the rules, I don't really know what the goals are or what challenging levels might add in
"Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving!"
-Auntie Mame
[Dec 31, 2008 6:45:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
puppy1254170

After a while, it was easy.
Somewhere in the middle.
yes.
In a way it does.
just about right.
The default settings, as always :)
I like putting together as many pieces as possible.
I think it would, yes.

Missjessica of Sage.
Missjessica on Sage Emerald

Starting back up from square one. *Sigh*
[Jan 1, 2009 11:18:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Giemz

quite hard, a lot of special pieces and a lot of possible combiations of them makes it hard to learn how to use them effectivly

it is fun and addictive, though after a long game you dont really have the "need" for another one

yep :)

kinda

it takes a few minutes for casual play, and some time longer for power play so it is good

seeing half of the board colored :)

it doesnt have a top level to beat so you can always be better, it will do just fine

i got this in aprox 15 mins of playing, though i would like to know if thats good or exelent or whatevah
Thirteen Piece
Perfect Furnishing!
Five colors!
Total cut score: 1014
Perfect Furnishing!^5
Four colors!
Total cut score: 1088
Masterful Weaving!
Final Score: 2102 points / 163 moves = 12.8957055214723

Fair Winds
Barbarosa of Malachite
Mostly retired - burned out at the moment.
[Jan 1, 2009 2:54:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ellopoppet

Not too bad, but the sure amount of rows and such made me want to shut down the puzzle once I saw it. I went from getting 180 points to -90 with no understanding how it happened.

In the middle I would say.

If it had less blocks and rows I might like it. As of now it's not fun.

No, looks like Alch... mixed with greek.

Right in the middle.

I just played the default, I had issues with just that.

I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Yeah
~Athens~ Hunter

Want to know who makes my avatars?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ellopoppet at Jan 1, 2009 6:14:33 PM]
[Jan 1, 2009 5:53:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Luvessy

I had no trouble. I read through the instructions once, played with the pieces in the game...the way the pieces act makes sense to me. A few people commented on the color combinations...I didn't find this to be a large problem. I thought of it as a color wheel and getting the color inbetween the two mixing...so orange and green give you yellow. I seem to be one of a few thinking this way though.

Medium...a good pass the time puzzle that I can loose track of once I start playing, but probably would not become one of my favorite puzzles. (For what it's worth, I'm not a big fan of alchemy either.)

I think the gameplay is intriguing. My goal was always to try to clear the entire puzzle at one time, rather than in smaller steps. I didn't spend a lot of time figuring out how scoring works, but I suspect that this was not efficient, as I had so many moves. Still, for me, this way of playing was a fun challenge that kept me unaware of the time.

Sure. I don't know that the current graphics work for furnishing in particular, but I know these can be adjusted. I worry a little about color blindness because of the large set of colors used.

I was not bothered by how long it took me to finish a puzzling session. This is not a game I'd play if I were in a rush.

I played the basic default settings.

Trying to clear all the colors at once.

Possibly. I suspect that scoring differential will be what sets players apart, which is somewhat different from the idea of a "challenge".
--Mistymate

(Avatar by Sancha.)
[Jan 2, 2009 9:17:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
antisilence

It was pretty easy to figure out.

I was very addicted to this.

I really enjoyed playing it.

It would make a great weaving puzzle.

Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?

I felt the game could have been a smidge longer.

I only played the default but that was fun.

I liked the pretty rainbows :)

With tweaks I can see this being very challenging for ult players.
Aeval - Malachite
Linnyani - Hunter (back and kicking bottom)

Piplicus says, "I heard whenever Emerson sings, all cats and dogs die anyway

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/SchwaWarrior/YPP/Card_Linnyani.png
[Jan 2, 2009 9:45:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Discojack

A bit confusing at first but by the second game I had an understanding of the basics. Some sort of in-game tutorial just to point out the aim of the game would have been nice. It got a little confusing when learning about using groups and group sizes whilst handling the numbers at the bottom though.

It is challenging to set up your moves so your groups don't get messed up as you build new ones and kept me trying for quite awhile. Although the symbols were a bit too similar and that got me tired of the game after bout a dozen tries. Bigger peices or more easily distinguishable shapes please.

It is good fun as your worst enemy in the game is in fact you as you can easily sabotage yourself which kept me amused.

It would be great for weaving which seems to be the original idea behind it but I have trouble seeing it as a furnishing puzzle. Furniture making oriented peices and maybe wood/metal/material color patterns rather then rainbow colors could make it stick.

It felt just a bit short. Building the complex multi-group and making the order numbers stick could take me awhile but nothing close to if I did this in the current crafting puzzles.

I didn't fool around with the settings that much but I did do hypothetical set ups to see how secondary colors would work and whatnot and found that to be more fun. Sort of like when you get to color mixing in alchemisty as it gets your noggin workin a little more. Having ALL the columns at the bottom be colored makes it a little messy thoug an attempt at reduction or whatever with them could make it a little easier for combos n kill the clutter.

I like the specials. Rainbows are da bomb in terms of help but they can be sucha pain tos et up so it doesn't hurt your other groups, was fun to make em fit in. Sciscors not so much but you need a clear thing. The pin was cool as you could have some more strategy for less moves and whatnot which I found to be the coolest special and let skill take over the mind numbing moving around of all the peices.

This could definitely seperate the pirates from the land-lubbers. Colors and group sizes and all that stuff could easily be flexed to scale a wide range of difficulties and you would still have the orders to fool around with.

Extra note: The orders at the bottom are a pain to read as you have
a) too many different numbers
b) too small and blue one expecially is hard to see.
Better way to deal with orders and display and this game is a winner in my book :)
When God gives you lemons
Find a new God!

Viprince
[Jan 2, 2009 11:43:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Starsunny

- I haven't really learned it, But I got Bingo, Think I got game play, but am not sure.

I'm sure if I got it, it will be be high, I played and liked what I can do with the spreading of the color.

-I can defiendtly see it being addicting.

-I belive so.

-Not long at all.

-Hum... not sure, but defalt was fun.

-The weird shapes.

-I'm sure it would.
arg...
[Jan 3, 2009 10:30:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Yes! I remember playing this one a while back and I absolutely adore it.

Really addictive, IMO.

Yes! coloring and mixing pieces and DNA fusion stuff is fun!

As the artwork points, it works more for Weavery, but I can see it for furnisher too.

About time.

Wait, are there more settings?

The mixing pieces to get your color combo higher

Yes!
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Current governs Ice's Fort Royal
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Jan 6, 2009 11:01:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Luther8

Luckylad on Midnight

Easy more or less.

Medium for me
Yes
Yes I think it does for weaving.
Once i caught on about the numbers remaining i pinned it down to 5 minutes I think.

Yes.
Luckylad of Midnight
[Jan 6, 2009 1:36:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
draco9

Dracon on midnight

-Relatively easy, but the scoring factor is not very obvious.
-Somewhere in the middle.

-Maybe, it feels like a combination of the foraging puzzle and alchemy.

-possibly weaving

-Not sure as there is not a clear end to the round that I can tell.

-Played on the default level as best as I can tell.

-The ability to switch the pieces around similar to foraging.

-maybe, especially if it remains unclear how to score efficiently.
Dracon, Captain of Revenge of Io on the Midnight Ocean
Queen of Deus ex Machina

[Jan 6, 2009 3:01:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.utdallas.edu/~tmh015200    senior_draco    talonsof10 [Link]  Go to top 
Perlandria

I feel REALLY REALLY bad I didn't enjoy this game more. So much of that had to do with my dyslexia that even the best game in the world would have been lukewarm to me.

That said...

In that it moves like bilge/TH/Foraging (especially foraging which I know it predates) - Easy! That purple and green make blue thing? That was a WT!? moment.

I did so poorly I had to force myself to play. But part of why I did poorly is that I am dyslexic on right and left rotation games like this, so I would frequently waste 3 moves backing up to what I wanted to do. There is a reason I don't duty nav much. :D

No, for the dyslexic reason. I LOVE that in Alchemy I can rotate all the way around to the left and it counts the same as one rotation to the right. I wish more of the rotating pieces puzzles would have that. C'est la oh well! But also, how can it be a negative score when I luck into a starting board that has a lot of stuff and I don't move at all? *head desk* Although I am very grateful to the coders that they updated the prototype to go in the direction foraging rotates. Having one game rotate one way and the other rotate opposite would make my head explode.

No, but I trust PP artists. it doesn't NOT work, it just isn't obviously a furnishing puzzle.

Ummm I couldn't get out of a negative to tell...?

I didn't find a setting that worked for me.

Yea rainbows! Yea pins! Boooooo scissors.

Probably.

In general, please may I beg to NOT have another rotation puzzle? I can't be the only dyslexic out there having this problem and so far the crafting puzzles have been very friendly that way.
Furnishing Puzzle Project:
Discussion: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=97545
Prototype: http://albert.best.vwh.net/gilthead/GiltHead.html
Proposal: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/GCPP:Proposal-Gilthead
[Jan 7, 2009 6:24:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Irig    Perlandria [Link]  Go to top 
usalights

I'm going to pass on the questions and say I'm going to pass on this prototype also. It is a spinoff of bilge as is the foraging puzzle. I want something that isn't related to any other puzzle. My apologies to the developer but ye need to be more creative not just come up w/a spinoff of an existing puzzle.
[Jan 7, 2009 7:57:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 36   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates