• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 50
Posts: 50   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 12461 times and has 49 replies Next Thread
Whedonella

The New Year's Resolution of Black Sam Rogers [Results posted] Reply to this Post

Arr!  'Tis that time o' year again, mateys.  The spirit of holiday cheer is addling our brains and everyone, even hardened pirates, be musing on the matter o' betterin' themselves in some way.

They been doin' it fer centuries.  Making New Year's Resolutions, and breaking 'em.  I suppose some folks keeps 'em, but it's hard going into a headwind for most . . . which can lead to some very funny stories.

What:  Write the New Year's Resolution of the pirate Black Sam Rogers, and then chronicle Black Sam's success (or lack thereof) at maintaining this resolution as a series of journal/log entries.

Keep it between 500 and 1500 words.  It's a lot of leeway, mates.  Try to stay within it - one of the saddest things an event runner can have to do is disqualify a great entry.  I will be using this word counter and as a back up if the first counter says you are over or under I will double check with this word counter .

Language and subject matter should be suitable for forums.

Post in the Entry Thread.  Be sure to include yer pirate name and ocean, as well as a preferred order prize list, with the gender and colours ye would like, if ye should win the clothes.

Entries may be edited until the deadline.

This event is open to pirates from all oceans, but submissions must be in English.  One entry per person, please.

Deadline:  11:59:59 pm Pirate Time,  January 18th, 2009.  No exceptions.  A good resolution for ye may be "do not put off until tomorrow what ye can do today, and certainly don't put off until January 18th what ye could do before then"!

Prizes: 
  • A Tan Monkey (New Year's Resolutions may traditionally be about getting the monkey off yer back, but let's face it, most pirates would prefer to put one on)
  • An Ancient Calendar
  • Champagne Bottlenose, a renamed sloop (the wonderful Thalia, or another Opal ocean OM, will provide an equivalent rename should this be won on Opal)
  • A Complete Outfit, to commemorate all those landlubbers whose resolutions centre around weight and might need a new wardrobe.  A muffin hat, buccaneer jacket, long dress and fancy boots for ladies.  A tricorne, swashbuckler's jacket, pair o' pants, and fancy boots for men.  Colours of yer choosing except for black, gold, Atlantean or indigo.  Please specify colours and whether ye would like ladies' or men's clothes in yer entry post, otherwise I will go by the portrait on yer pirate page, if there isn't one ye takes yer chances! Mwah ha ha!
  • Pirate Flag (regular furniture item)
  • Choice of Black or Gold Starfish
  • Silver Starfish (well, okay it's actually Grey, but we can pretend!)
  • White Starfish
  • Sand Dollar

In Anticipation of a Few Questions:
Who is Black Sam?  Well, that's up to ye.  Sam could be short for Samuel or Samantha.  Black Sam could be a Pirate Captain, a lowly swabby or anything in between.  Keep the name, the character is yours to create.

Does the log have to be Black Sam's?  Um, well no actually.  It has to be in the form of a log and the entries or pieces of entries we see should concern themselves with Black Sam's progress, but could be from someone else's perspective should your Black Sam not be the journal or log keeping type.

What is a New Year's Resolution? Making a New Year's resolution is a tradition celebrated in many countries. On or around New Year's people commit to making a lifestyle change or set a goal for themselves for the coming year. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Year's_resolution for a longer explanation and some links.

Will spelling and grammar be judged?  Aye, but we be pirates, so our notions of good spelling and grammar may be a bit more fluid than some.  The main thing is that it should be readable, and consistent.  You are writing in the first person, in character (as Black Sam or an observer), so judges will take that into consideration.

And adding questions asked in the thread (these have been paraphrased so if you feel one in particular applies to your piece it may be worth scrolling through and reading the original query and answer as well):

Can the journals/logs begin prior to New Year's? Yes, so long as the main focus is on how the resolution turns out, rather than the events that lead up to the resolution.

Can entries use images as well as text? No, text only.

Does the story have to be told through one pirate's journal, or would it be permissible to switch the perspective to another journal? As long as the focus stays on Black Sam and how the resolution-keeping progresses multiple perspectives is fine.

Does our story HAVE to take place in 2008-2009? No, the journal/log can be from whenever your Black Sam lived.

Does it have to be Samantha or Samuel, or can it be any other name that could be shortened? The main character's name must be Black Sam. If you have another full name in mind that can be shortened to Sam that is fine.

When will the winners be announced and prizes awarded? The amount of time judges need to assess the entries will depend greatly on the number of entries received. I will try to assess this and include a forecast in my "closed for submissions" post when I can see how many entries we have. Prizes will be delivered by an OM sometime after I email them with a final prize list (which I will do immediately prior to posting the results). Prize delivery usually takes a few days.

Who will judge the entries? The judges are all professional writers or editors. All have been exposed to YPP but the extent of their involvement with the game varies.

Is there anything that you can share about the judging criteria? The criteria is here in the first post. The judges know what was asked for and will be determining a) if the entries meet the specified criteria and b) how good the piece of writing is.

Post other questions in this thread, and have fun writing!
----------------------------------------
Whedonella, Pirate of the Midnight Ocean
Senior Officer of Piracy by Design
Princess of Pandora's Box
[Edit 6 times, last edit by Whedonella at Jan 31, 2009 1:52:30 PM]
[Dec 27, 2008 8:32:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Estam

Re: The New Year's Resolution of Black Sam Rogers [Writing - deadline January 18th] Reply to this Post

No offense, mate, but let me be the first one to say this...

...I love this! <3<3<3
<-- My avatar no longer reads: Everyone Wants to be a Pirate Even Avatarless Forumer

...soli Deo gloria...
[Dec 28, 2008 7:19:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JSChromeboy

Re: The New Year's Resolution of Black Sam Rogers [Writing - deadline January 18th] Reply to this Post

I too look forward to entering this, awesome idea, totally man.

Greatness!
Asheme - Malachite/Viridian Oceans - (2009 - 2011)
Mastorakis - Meridian Ocean - (2013 - present) that is all.....
[Dec 28, 2008 8:22:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
volleygirl10

Squee! A lovely writing event ^^. One question though, do the journals/logs have to start at New Year's with the resolution, or will some pre-resolution background be nice too?

/e opens Microsoft Word and starts typing rapidly.... =P
Clarielle (or just Clarie ;-)
O of Earthbound
on the loverly Hunter Ocean ^.^

Avvie by the amazingly talented Chiichan =D
[Dec 28, 2008 10:35:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whedonella

Squee! A lovely writing event ^^. One question though, do the journals/logs have to start at New Year's with the resolution, or will some pre-resolution background be nice too?

Starting pre-New Year's is fine, but please bear in mind the word limit and the focus on how the resolution turns out. The resolution itself should not be the conclusion/"punchline" to the story.
[Dec 28, 2008 12:53:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
matthew2299

I bet it's just me... but that word counter seems kind of sketchy. First it said I had 1,527 words, I cut out about 20 and it said I had 1,300, added the twenty back and it said I had 1,305...
[Dec 31, 2008 11:02:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MasterTalek

I bet it's just me... but that word counter seems kind of sketchy. First it said I had 1,527 words, I cut out about 20 and it said I had 1,300, added the twenty back and it said I had 1,305...

what I would do is copy and paste the stories onto a Microsoft Word (2007) page, its the most reliable and 100% accurate on word counts :D
~Lordtalek of the Hunter Ocean
~Artorius of the Malachite Ocean

~Avatar by Ginseng of the Sage Ocean, now retired.
[Dec 31, 2008 2:10:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whedonella

Unfortunately, not everyone uses the same writing programs. This word counter is not perfect in that it counts punctuation and numbers a bit oddly, but it does explain how it counts those items, and is freely available to everyone who may wish to enter the event. I have tested it with text from Pages and TextEdit, and it has worked exactly as described.

To ensure fair word counts, I will also use this word counter on anything that is over or under the word limit and in danger of being disqualified: http://thecosmiccheese.googlepages.com/test.html This second count is likely to be higher, as my original word count tool does not count free-standing numbers which may appear in the dates of your journal entries (or elsewhere), while this counter does. Be warned, and as I suggested before consider aiming for middle ground.

If the two counters both say you're over: you're over.

The joy of word counters has brought up another minor concern: in entries with poor grammar/typos where two words are typed together (and are therefore considered one word by the counter), the word count will be added to manually as judges/readers pick up on the mistakes. Please proof-read carefully.

Edited because the cosmic cheese web-based word counter (that literally lists what it counts as each word, making editing and verifying counts quite easy) was suggested to me (thank ye, Jsweetie) and a tool that people can use themselves is preferable to the alternate plan of my using a private tool and hoping to catch people with PMs.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Whedonella at Jan 2, 2009 8:29:04 AM]
[Jan 1, 2009 12:36:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JSChromeboy

Ahoy, I have a quick question.

Is it allowed to use images in this story instead of just text? Meaning, that I would use text along with images, but also keep to word count.

I have some cool idea's I how I could and before I go ahead, I just wanted to be sure it was legal.

Thanks
[Edit 1 times, last edit by JSChromeboy at Jan 2, 2009 3:05:33 AM]
[Jan 2, 2009 3:04:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Azarin

Does the log have to be Black Sam's?  Um, well no actually.  It has to be in the form of a log and the entries or pieces of entries we see should concern themselves with Black Sam's progress, but could be from someone else's perspective should your Black Sam not be the journal or log keeping type.

Does the story have to be told through one single pirate's journal, or would it be permissible to switch the perspective to another journal, as long as the focus of the story remained on Black Sam and his resolution?
[Jan 2, 2009 6:16:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whedonella

Is it allowed to use images in this story instead of just text? Meaning, that I would use text along with images, but also keep to word count.

Text only for this event, please.

I appreciate that many people doodle or draw in their journals, but my judges have agreed to judge a writing event. Some of them may not feel qualified to judge art, or may not know how to compare a mixed entry to a completely text-based entry. I do love graphic novels and non-traditional writing that incorporates imagery/scribbles around the margins/etc ..., and will keep this in mind as I brainstorm events I may run in the future.

Does the story have to be told through one single pirate's journal, or would it be permissible to switch the perspective to another journal, as long as the focus of the story remained on Black Sam and his resolution?

As long as the focus stays on Black Sam and how the resolution-keeping progresses multiple perspectives is fine.
[Jan 2, 2009 7:58:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jezzebel

I know the submission deadline is the 18th, but can the log go past that time? My story follows Black Sam through the whole month of January, and the time is intrinsic to one aspect of the story.
Redjenny, Now merged with Health Nutz
Thebloggess wrote: 
A hug is like a strangle you haven't finished yet!

[Jan 2, 2009 12:03:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whedonella

I know the submission deadline is the 18th, but can the log go past that time? My story follows Black Sam through the whole month of January, and the time is intrinsic to one aspect of the story.

Absolutely, you can follow Black Sam as long as you like (and the word limit allows!).
[Jan 2, 2009 1:25:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Billigan

There are already some really great posts! Good luck to all contestants!
Billigan Of Sage Ocean
Senior Officer..Errr Captain.... Ummm Senior Officer Of Cry Havoc.

Tropicalgal's (former) Pet Prince of Dominant Storm.
[Jan 2, 2009 3:13:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Coolnight

so basically we just write to a journal as sammeh and speak some stuff about new years resolution?

=P
Eberge, Hunter Ocean
[Jan 2, 2009 7:27:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JSChromeboy

A few questions.

Does our story HAVE to take place in 2008-2009?

Does it have to be Samantha or Samuel, or can it be any other name that could be shortened?

Thanks.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by JSChromeboy at Jan 3, 2009 5:07:56 AM]
[Jan 2, 2009 10:40:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whedonella

Does our story HAVE to take place in 2008-2009?

It can take place whenever your Black Sam lived. Beyond the name and being (some aspect of) a pirate, the character is yours to create.

Does it have to be Samantha or Samuel, or can it be any other name that could be shortened?

The main character's name must be Black Sam. If you have another full name in mind that can be shortened to Sam that is fine.

so basically we just write to a journal as sammeh and speak some stuff about new years resolution?

Sorry it has taken me a bit to respond to this. I wasn't sure if it was rhetorical, but then who posts rhetorical questions in an events thread? (Oh wait, look at that - me apparently! lol)

Anyway ... technically the answer to your question is yes, but the emphasis makes me want to add a bit of clarification: the resolution and Black Sam's progress in keeping or breaking it should be the main focus of the journal entries used to make up the story. A journal chronicling all aspects of Black Sam's life with a bit about the resolution thrown in is unlikely to have the kind of narrative arc judges will be looking for.
[Jan 4, 2009 8:50:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scratchdat

Question- Can we have diary entries of different pirates in the same "story"? Like, let's say i have a diary entry by Black Sam on Dec. 31, and someone else has an entry on the same day. Is that allowed?
Flaffydaffyfaffydaf. Hm.. much too long. Just call meh Flaff ;)
I remain loyal to Hunter. That is all.
[Jan 4, 2009 5:01:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whedonella

Question- Can we have diary entries of different pirates in the same "story"? Like, let's say i have a diary entry by Black Sam on Dec. 31, and someone else has an entry on the same day. Is that allowed?

I understand the variation on the previous question, but the answer remains essentially the same: as long as the focus stays on Black Sam and how the resolution-keeping progresses multiple perspectives (even of the same day) is fine.
[Jan 5, 2009 7:32:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Xanther4

Hoy :D great idea here, i can't wait to get my story started :D.
Quick questions here and if i apologize if i missed something in the first post for I havn't been concentrating 100% on the thread.
1. Are multiple entry's allowed?
2. Are the prizes limitied to one ocean?
3. Is it just first place entries that get a prize? and if there are other winners, do they get their first choice of a prize or do they get one that hasn't been taken? Like if there were a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners, and they all wanted a monkey, would they all receive one?

That's all I have for now, i'm going off to get started! :)
Wipley of Emerald
Darkfaery's Avatar Goodness

Making the forums awkward and the game more stupid since 2008.

Anything
[Jan 7, 2009 6:01:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whedonella

1. Are multiple entry's allowed?
2. Are the prizes limitied to one ocean?
3. Is it just first place entries that get a prize? and if there are other winners, do they get their first choice of a prize or do they get one that hasn't been taken? Like if there were a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners, and they all wanted a monkey, would they all receive one?

Ye need to read the first post, me matey! lol But to make yer life a bit easier here goes:

1. No, one per person.
2. Prizes may be claimed on any ocean. The renamed sloop will have a different name if claimed on Opal.
3. The prize list is in the first post. Entrants may list their preferences, but only one of each prize will be awarded.

Please do read the first post, and try to avoid other questions answered there so this thread doesn't get cluttered with repeated information. Thank ye.
[Jan 7, 2009 7:27:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Billigan

Please do read the first post, and try to avoid other questions answered there so this thread doesn't get cluttered with repeated information. Thank ye.

Well I have read every post in this thread (and the entry thread), so it is now time for my silly questions.

1. Entry Deadline is January 18th, but when will the winners be announced and prizes awarded?

2. Who will judge the entries? OOO staff? Or do you have a player based judging panel?

3. Is there anything that you can share about the judging criteria?
Billigan Of Sage Ocean

[Jan 9, 2009 12:17:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whedonella

1. Entry Deadline is January 18th, but when will the winners be announced and prizes awarded?

There is a reason most event runners don't post this! The amount of time judges need to assess the entries will depend greatly on the number of entries received. At this point, my goal is approximately two weeks from the deadline. I will try to assess this and include a forecast in my "closed for submissions" post when I can see how many entries we have.

2. Who will judge the entries? OOO staff? Or do you have a player based judging panel?

The judges were chosen because they are all professional writers or editors. All have been exposed to YPP but the extent of their involvement with the game varies.

3. Is there anything that you can share about the judging criteria?

The criteria is there in the first post. This isn't a school assignment with percentages assigned to spelling, grammar, structure, language, etc ... The judges know what was asked for and will be determining if the entries meet the specified criteria and how good the piece of writing is.
[Jan 9, 2009 9:09:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Billigan

You're a charm Whedonella. Thanks for your response.
Billigan Of Sage Ocean

[Jan 9, 2009 4:47:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Deatharrows

It would be fun But I dont think I have much of a resolution haha not very creative :P But I think I'll Come up with something =)
Deatharrows
-Meridian Ocean
[Jan 9, 2009 10:47:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Azarin

It would be fun But I dont think I have much of a resolution haha not very creative :P But I think I'll Come up with something =)

This reminded me of the saying that in all the stories ever written, there are only three plots: a) boy meets girl b) boy fights enemy b) boy fights his own shortcomings. (Substitute genders as appropriate.) And personally I think that a) is just a combination of b) and c) for reasons too tedious to go into.

The point is that the resolution is probably the second least important choice you have to make in writing the story (the least important being which type of plot to use). I haven't started writing but I have the backbone of the story in my head, and my resolution is, I would say, the most obvious you could pick for a pirate. But what matters is everything after that point.
[Jan 10, 2009 5:54:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whedonella

Just wanted to remind everyone that the deadline is almost here, so finish those entries and get them posted! :)
[Jan 16, 2009 6:24:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

This was fun, Whedonella! Thanks for running the event.

Unfortunately I ran out of time to really fine tune my story. But my 7 year old nephew liked it and wanted me to write another chapter when I read it to him today. So I guess that counts as a win :-)

-- Fey
Feylind

Semi-retired Midnight Cerulean Event Addict
[Jan 18, 2009 10:38:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
Iltenor

Oh crap. Reply to this Post

OMG lol I got home from school and checked the time and SH#T I ran out of time, lol.

Man, that feels bad.
[Jan 18, 2009 11:54:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Minsiem

I second the "Oh crap." :P
I pasted my story in and added my name and prize preference, and somehow must have deleted the first three lines, though they aren't too important to my entry. I was waiting till the very last minute to hit "reply to post" for hopefully obvious reasons (heehee), and didn't notice the mistake till too late.

The thread doesn't say it's closed, but I imagine I would get disqualified if I attempt an edit. I can send the missing three lines if it's allowable. I don't want to post them here either since that might be a disqualifying offense as well. Heheh.
I enjoyed participating in this event, regardless of my silly mistake. :P
Thanks for the opportunity, and good luck to everyone!
Minsiem, Like A Fox
Nimbelina, Any Minute Now

I believe in a Higher Purple!

Erfan flag officer chats, "let's cade a popular forage island"

[Jan 19, 2009 12:27:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 50   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates