• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 13
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5292 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
PuffiePiffin

Most populated dubloon ocean, and what happened to piratey roleplay? Reply to this Post

Ahoy,

As someone who's played Puzzle Pirates on and off over about a year, I see very, very few who play speaking like this:

"Ahoy thar, come aboard my fine vessel! We be bringing in some booty, today, arr! Man them sails ya barnacle befare that ship comes a'blastin us down to the rock bottom, arr!"
Or in other words "Piraty Talk/Roleplay"

Why is it so uncommon in a game where it seems very encouraged and the game is about pirates. Are there populated roleplaying guilds at all?

And whats the most populated dubloon ocean?

P. Piffins

Arr!
----------------------------------------
Arr! Ya peculiar jellyfish!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by PuffiePiffin at Dec 14, 2008 5:56:12 AM]
[Dec 14, 2008 5:39:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TuucciZ

Re: Most populated dubloon ocean, and what happened to piratey roleplay? Reply to this Post

Roleplaying used to be quite popular, but people just don't care anymore because of all the bad English people speak. Some people can't even understand you when you try to be all pirate-like. I do not recall any active roleplaying crew or flag by name, either, though I'm quite sure there are some.

I be someone who might be interested in speaking good ol' piratey lingo. I be no good at it, but it be fun nonetheless! I can be found every now an' then having a little chatter with them docktarts of Sage. Who knows, maybe I be sailin' with me mates about to steal yer well-earned booty! Avast!
Tuuc on Sage. Yes, I'm back.
Nemo wrote: 
I would like to send my heartfelt thanks to everyone who didn't post in this thread.

[Dec 14, 2008 7:55:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whedonella

Re: Most populated dubloon ocean, and what happened to piratey roleplay? Reply to this Post

And whats the most populated dubloon ocean?

Avast ye, mate, the ocean status page will tell ye how many pirates are on each ocean at present. By taking a gander at them frequent-like ye can see fer yerself which ocean is most populous. (I'd wager Hunter or Viridian, meself) O course, this only tells ye which oceans see more traffic, not which ocean has the most registered players. But then why concern yerself with scallywags what never log in?

Besides the reasons TuucciZ mentions, I suspect the above paragraph suggests some of the reasons RP begins to break down. Many crews favor ahoy to hello, and use ye, yar, aye, etc . . . but we need to use enough language that deals with the more technical aspects of playing a game (servers, log ins, d/cs, reboot, reclient, etc . . .) that hardcore roleplay is difficult to maintain. It just sounds weird, to me anyway, whereas speaking more or less normally with the odd tech/game/pirate word thrown in becomes a rather interesting patois.

Good luck finding a RP crew if yer looking for one!
Whedonella, Pirate of the Midnight Ocean
Senior Officer of Piracy by Design
Princess of Pandora's Box
[Dec 14, 2008 11:01:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nunny_45

Its hard to roleplay when most of the things pirates did is either 1: Not Capable of being done 2: requires you to ask politely if you can bash thier heads in with a stick, were if they turn down thiers nothing you can do about it.

Oh and for the record this is an MMO game not a MMORPG, so it tends to swing more to the chatty side of things rather then the roleplaying action part.
Nunny
[Dec 15, 2008 2:39:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheRack

There are crews and flags out there, but it does involve hunting around.

If your looking for one, try the appropriate seeking crew threads in the oceans parley of your choice.
Cephalopod, on poker, wrote: 
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it isn't rigged.

Period. End of story.

[Dec 15, 2008 3:40:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
blaze1513

i think virdian is the most active/has the most ppl
Mrblaze
Kiadude flag broadcasts, "Punish me baby"
Kiadude flag broadcasts, "Oh wow booch."
[Dec 15, 2008 7:01:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Greasewood

Re: What happened to piratey roleplay? Reply to this Post

The Marooned Marauders (Midnight Ocean) are not a role-playing crew, but Smashbeard, Gwennie, and Bertram are reiliably in character.

-- Greasewood, the guy who plays Bertram
[Dec 16, 2008 2:24:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

Hard enough to find people these days who speak proper English, let alone piratey English.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Dec 27, 2008 1:58:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SaviourS

According to my shot , yet probably true research upon sea monster hunts , Yarr has been replaced with 'rawr' and Ahoy mate has been replaced with 'hugs'.
Saviour, Meridian
[Dec 28, 2008 1:42:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StuManchu

Piratey roleplay is being forced on people by the devs though!

"Yer hearty, X, has logged on."

"X tells ye,"

It's annoying.
Was once Stuyvesant

Redistribute your wealth, or we'll redistribute your blood.
[Dec 28, 2008 9:17:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
OdorOfFrodo

Bastards.
Ecavatar by Ecastasy!
Talisker wrote: 
Obviously this calls for dressing up as Karl Marx.

[Dec 28, 2008 10:01:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sibr39

Not all pirates (if we are going to be officiously pedantic - and I am) spoke some bastardised version of West Country vernacular (all that arrr!, harr! and yarr! crap).

Having said that, Ahoy is infinitely preferable to "Licks", which was my most recent greeting when boarding a vessel.

"Licks"?

/e wanders off in bewilderment.
Sibrseadog

Lord of Sea Change

Ozymandias said:

Look upon my works ye Mighty and despair.

[Dec 29, 2008 6:25:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ladykyriel

I don't find it annoying, I find it amusing.

I don't know off the top of my head of any crews that do strict role play. Like some have said, there are individuals who keep in character. It's also possible to have a character and stay in character even if you're the only one doing it. I know.

Also, don't underestimate the power of Mariner's Muse. You can post back story there...character history and redescribe things as they would have happened to your character. For instance: You're in a blockade and the avatar loses an eye. What exactly happened to lose the eye? Were you hit by a piece of flying debris, did gun powerder get in your eye, etc? Feel free to write about it so long as you don't get too graphic. Does your pirate love another pirate? Note that I said pirate...I'm not getting into the sticky mine-field (topic) of the players falling in love, which has happened. Feel free to write about that, too. Call each other dear, etc.

Finally, thow in the occasional piratey phrase. I've found:

/e grips her sword tightly, waiting on the enemy ship to arrive.
/e grabs hold as the sound of cannonfire fills the air and the hull shakes from impact.
/e slips brass knuckes over her fingers as the barbarians board her vessel.

And my all time favorite (been using it for nearly three years now)

/e lets out a rebel yell!

Okay...I'm falling into lecture mode. I'll stop now before I get started again.
Is no longer kidnapped and counting down the days when she can be kidnapped again!
[Jan 2, 2009 4:48:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates