• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 52
Posts: 52   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 39828 times and has 51 replies Next Thread
SonnyZ

Sonnyz's Distilling Tutorials Reply to this Post

Alright, I think this is my first post here, or at least close to it.
But don't confuse that with me being new to the forums here, albeit only about 6 months that I have been here.

I have, over time, moved my way through the puzzles, as most probably every pirate does, and falls in love with each puzzle as they go, then after a while they get a few bad puzzles, so then "hate" said puzzle, and move on to a new one.
Anyways, after a while, you have tried every puzzle, and in some cases achieved decent rankings among each puzzle.
But in the end, I think we all have a favourite puzzle, or at least narrowed down to only a couple of our most favourites.

I, personally, have taken a liking to Distilling.
Although I have videos and screenshots of decent achievements in each of the puzzles (eg. A perfect Bilge Vegas, a 3-pattern Sailing Vegas, MP14 in carp, etc)
I found distilling to be a puzzle where each step in my improvement and ability was worth the most satisfaction.
For example, in sailing you learn to break a 4-column on top of a pattern to make every pattern a double, that is what I call a strategic improvement in ability.
Well in distilling, the improvement comes by learning new ways to move the pieces, and although on reflection I believe Gunnery may contain a similar level of satisfaction through improvement, I feel I would be most correct by saying that Distilling, is the one puzzle where the most improvement can be made, out of all the puzzles. A bold statement some would argue.

I think Quintalis's video of his CC13 was what set the ball rolling.
I was learning to distill, clicking each bubble at a time, then thought I would look to see tips and tricks on the forums, and my mind boggled at the amazement of Quintalis' ability to move the pieces, and so off I went, dragging pieces for the first time.
The thing that kept me playing the game was the fact that after every few goes, I had a little more experience about how to get around certain obstacles and challenges, and could apply that experience in future distilling puzzles.

Anyway, as my rank improved, I moved to Jorvik to get a better guide of my position (as opposed to Alpha). When I did my first "CC13" I went back to Quintalis' video and I could understand about 75% of his moves.
Obviously improvements to be done. When I achieved a "CC14" I felt I had reached a level which surely would have been above and beyond what I had seen about 1 month prior.

And here we are. I am satisfied that I deserve my title as Oceanwide #2. (I'm coming for you Faulkston :P)

And so in recognition of my success, I felt a more thorough tutorial of distilling was required.

I offer to you all, two tutorials.
I hope by my efforts I have set a new level for tutorials, both in their ability to send across their message, and in their technological prowess.

I will have 2 mirrors for my files, but the 2nd mirror won't be up until tomorrow.
And without further ado, here are the details of my Distilling Tutorials.
Please feel free to leave feedback here, they are literally my first movies and my first tutorials, I have noticed some grammatical errors throughout the two videos, but felt they were insignificant enough to not bother with fixing.

Sonnyz's Distilling Tutorial #1 (~12mb)
A simple run through on a CC12 with commentary and some guidelines about why I made the moves I did.

Mirror 1 @ IINet http://members.iinet.net.au/~sonnyz/Sonny_Dist_1.wmv
Mirror 2 @ Bullet Internet http://dug.com.au/misc/Sonny_Dist_1.wmv

Sonnyz's Distilling Tutorial #2 (~18mb)
A detailed commentary on 12 particular tips to help you improve at Distilling, and work towards common CC12's.

Mirror 1 @ IINet http://members.iinet.net.au/~sonnyz/Sonny_Dist_2.wmv
Mirror 2 @ Bullet Internet http://dug.com.au/misc/Sonny_Dist_2.wmv
----------------------------------------
Now sailing the Viridan Ocean...

My YPPedia Page
http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/User:SonnyZ

#1 Oceanwide Distiller (Once Upon A Time).
[Sep 22, 2004 1:53:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Re: Sonnyz's Distilling Tutorials Reply to this Post

Nice work! Very interesting.
[Sep 22, 2004 2:08:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
TheRug

That was absolutely amazing. I've been hovering at around CC^4 or 5, but I can tell that the racetrack and walking pieces across the board together will really help with that - both are problems that I've run into a couple times. I'll try with these new moves and let you know how it goes.

-Rugsby
-Rugsby, formerly of Midnight and now of HunterEmerald

no .sig, no .plan, no .clue
[Sep 22, 2004 2:37:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

From the first 30 seconds i saw on it..... nice.

Trying to download them now. What I noticed is that I play quite a bit differently to Sonnyz. If someone can tell me how to make one of those movies, and make it low frame rate and the like, i'm sure i can rig one up :-).

Anyway, i'll get you back for overtaking me in the ocean top 10! :-P

Oh well, you deserve a top 10 place with the CC14..... but i'll overtake you again soon ;-)

And i'll edit again when I download the vids

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[Sep 22, 2004 2:45:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
stefsorceror

problems Reply to this Post

each time I try the first one my computer immediately stops working and with the 2nd I only see Section1:, you explaining and a lot of noise of shifting pieces...= ( what's wrong?
Tibiaking. Member of TTB, SN. Too cool to have a quote in my signature.

Disclaimer: None of my posts are ment to be offensive. Any tarting about the offensiveness of my posts will be ingored.
[Sep 22, 2004 3:02:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Sometimes I really hate that puzzle.
[Sep 22, 2004 3:19:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
azleaneo

Shuranthae wrote: 

I'm sorry that I am laughing. Did you notice that after you finished that last CC or when you were setting up the next one?
My distilling always looks like neopolitian ice cream so I am gonna check these video work. /e preys it will read the .wmv
Translation = "Broken Heart",
Kokorobosoi Midnight Ocean Refugee
Cerulean Ocean
[Sep 22, 2004 4:12:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
silverkitty

how do I hire this guy to narrate? er

mostly, I still have troubles with the beginning. I look at the "this is what ye do once ye have cc^6" stuff and say "neato" but never get there. I end up with these horrible bands of whites that can't move stretched across the screen and before I know it, half of them are burnt.

there was a little more in sonny's help about the early stuff... but the example at the beginning of tutorial 2 was like 6 whites towards the right with fairly free movement. whereas I typically end up with a partial column of whites on the second column to start with and have 15 whites to move out of the first 3 rows asap and arrrrgh
[size=9]Avatar by Peter Pan
[Sep 22, 2004 6:15:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

Shuranthae wrote: 

Seconded. That's happened to me about 4 times now

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[Sep 23, 2004 1:22:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
Jer

I tried making something like this a long, long time ago, but my voice is absolutely horrible. Splendid narration.
[size=9]I'm Jericho.
[Sep 23, 2004 3:06:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.pp-nest.net/ [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

Amazing work. Great narration and videos.
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Sep 23, 2004 12:02:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
Smolder

Ive got to say that this is the best tutorial i have ever seen. Even though i still dont distill at all, it was really fun and informative to watch you kick booty.
-Harding
[Sep 23, 2004 12:04:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SonnyZ

Piplicus_BNO wrote: 

Trying to download them now. What I noticed is that I play quite a bit differently to Sonnyz. If someone can tell me how to make one of those movies, and make it low frame rate and the like, i'm sure i can rig one up :-).

If you have Windows XP, use Windows Movie Maker.
It is basically Camtasia Studio (I expect MS bought their development).
You can control a decent amount of aspects of the encoding in there, you can always re-encode it using something like TMPEG if you feel the need.

stefsorceror wrote: 
each time I try the first one my computer immediately stops working and with the 2nd I only see Section1:, you explaining and a lot of noise of shifting pieces...= ( what's wrong?

Since it was made in Windows Movie Maker, it is made using Windows Media Format. Any of the Windows Media Player's will play it.

But, I suggest you check out Media Player Classic, a very powerful and user-friendly Media Player which is open source.
You can find it here : http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=82303&package_id=84358

My YPPedia Page

[Sep 23, 2004 2:13:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stefsorceror

I'm using media player... I'm on another computer now and downloading it hoping it's working now =/

Disclaimer: None of my posts are ment to be offensive. Any tarting about the offensiveness of my posts will be ingored.
[Sep 23, 2004 3:01:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stefsorceror

really nice tutorials I really learned something from it = )

[Sep 24, 2004 12:25:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DevineHL2

Thanks for the tutorials. It finally clicked that I don't have to swap the white with brown one by one, I can just drag the brown. (and you'd think i'd realize that knowing that you can drag the black and white around.) Oh well, sometimes I'm just silly. But thanks again! I'm going to go back and take notes now. :-D
--A Folkie for all oceans (but mostly Malachite these days)
[Sep 24, 2004 12:56:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    f0lkie [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

SonnyZ wrote: 
Piplicus_BNO wrote: 

If you have Windows XP, use Windows Movie Maker.
It is basically Camtasia Studio (I expect MS bought their development).
You can control a decent amount of aspects of the encoding in there, you can always re-encode it using something like TMPEG if you feel the need.

stefsorceror wrote: 

Since it was made in Windows Movie Maker, it is made using Windows Media Format. Any of the Windows Media Player's will play it.

But, I suggest you check out Media Player Classic, a very powerful and user-friendly Media Player which is open source.
You can find it here : http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=82303&package_id=84358

And how do you stop it from trying to record your webcam than the screen?

Like a bad penny.
[Sep 24, 2004 1:44:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
SonnyZ

Piplicus_BNO wrote: 
And how do you stop it from trying to record your webcam than the screen?

Ok, this is how you do it:

You fire up Camtasia Studio.
It will start with the Wizard (or Go File -> Wizard)
Hit Start a New Project by recording the screen, then the Wizard starts.
Choose "Specific Window" and choose Audio on or off, then hit Next.
Hit "Select Window" and you can then choose whichever window you wish, it will highlight it. It is very accurate and you can have it record any window at all, by this I mean not just the YPP window, but each individual sub-window as well. I personally get it to show everything from YPP except the Titlebar. Hit Next.
Then choose the recording source. It can be Wave Mix for the sound that comes out of your speakers, or Microphone for ... umm, using the Microphone.
Next screen I chose not to turn off hardware acceleration, since it doesn't really affect my machine by recording.
And that's about it.

My suggestion is to use Camtasia to do the recording only. It can create the video, you then use Windows Movie Maker to edit it.

My YPPedia Page

[Sep 24, 2004 9:00:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

Absoloutly the best I've seen so far in a tutorial video yet. Whereas I've been slowly getting better at distilling, I think it was Quintalis's video that put me up to the Renowned I am now, and with this, and learning certain strategies, I do believe I can actually get up to GM or Legendary, maybe even an ultimate.

Now, let's see it in action ;)

Thanks for the superb video mate.
Nemesis wrote: 
You ruined my joke, Goth.
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 
Goth is right. *shudders*

[Sep 24, 2004 1:54:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

Here's Mr. Dimwit again with another stupid question.

Ok, i set up my video last night (it lagged the hell out the puter, so only got a CC^10). Where can i host it (for free)?

Thanks agaiin for the help with this sonnyz - i'm trying to make a few for my crew

Like a bad penny.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
rimbaud

I just wanted to thank SonnyZ for making the best tutorial video EVER.

This helped me so much when looking at Quintalis's video just made me sick to my stomach.

I showed the video to my g/f, (who doesn't even play Y!PP), just so she could hear SonnyZ's voice. I've been practicing to lose my southern drawl and get a good accent, to no avail.

Back on the subject though, I think that Sonny should develop videos for all of the puzzles.

And thats all I have to say about that.
Senior Officer of the Crew "Torch Em All"
[Sep 26, 2004 12:39:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SonnyZ

Piplicus_BNO wrote: 
Here's Mr. Dimwit again with another stupid question.

Ok, i set up my video last night (it lagged the hell out the puter, so only got a CC^10). Where can i host it (for free)?

Thanks agaiin for the help with this sonnyz - i'm trying to make a few for my crew

I believe you will find a few free places to host files for free.
I think geocities will suit some people.
http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/learn2/HowItWorks4_Free.html
They only offer 15mb, perhaps that is enough ?

Also, a google search came up with this list of sites :
http://dir.yahoo.com/Business_and_Economy/Shopping_and_Services/Communication_and_Information_Management/Internet_and_World_Wide_Web/Personal_Information_Management/File_Hosting/

And http://www.galacnet.com/ has 10mb free hosting.

Also, there is another thread somewhere with a link for free file hosting, have a search.

My YPPedia Page

[Sep 27, 2004 7:03:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

Thanks Sonnyz!

Like a bad penny.
[Sep 28, 2004 1:01:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
daveeldredge

wow . . . Reply to this Post

This post is probably dead, but I still have to say how much those videos helped. Thanks a bunch!
[Oct 14, 2004 5:07:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oozle2

Wow... I havent looked at other tutorials because i got them all prety quick but distilling was the one that i could never do... Before i saw this the best i could get was a CC1... after seeing this, the first thing i got was a cc5. THANKS A LOT.
[Nov 21, 2004 11:40:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PabloJonston

Absolutely incredible. I've always hated the distilling puzzle but have recently been getting into it. This will be a great help. Masterfly done
Taeglin - Sailmaster - Loose Cannons

I work in retail, sarcasm is implied
[Nov 22, 2004 3:18:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kat_attack

>10 Reply to this Post

I watched these vids a while ago, and indeed, they turned me from a 4-5 cc to a 8-9 cc. But I am completely stuck. I know that without posting a vid of my own, it will be hard for you to critique my puzzling. Has anyone else peaked out around 8? I am a very consistent 8/4. I often 9/3. For those of you that stalled at this level, what did you do?

BTW....did a 10cc once.......got to damned excited to take a screenie.
Katattacksme, Boochin Katfish
Ironguts says, "You're standing in greatness has gone up and is now Ultimate in your own mind."
-----> Fun browser game when not pirating! Clicky Clicky <-
[Nov 24, 2004 11:11:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.boochinkatfish.com [Link]  Go to top 
Markoman

I once did an 11. But my average these days is 7/6. (It's 13 now, right?)
Markozeta
[Nov 24, 2004 11:13:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
kat_attack

Markoman wrote: 
I once did an 11. But my average these days is 7/6. (It's 13 now, right?)

Katattacksme, Boochin Katfish
Ironguts says, "You're standing in greatness has gone up and is now Ultimate in your own mind."
-----> Fun browser game when not pirating! Clicky Clicky <-
[Nov 24, 2004 11:30:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.boochinkatfish.com [Link]  Go to top 
Vurogj

I know the feeling exactly Kat. I was stuck doing 7-11 CCs for ages.

The solution? They released a new puzzle. After a couple of weeks playing alchem lots, I went back to distill, watched the vids again, and had CC^12 within a week. A couple more since have proved it wasn't a total fluke.

Sorry, I've got no other explanation for how it happened.
Older, crankier,
still haz da phat haiku skillz.
Tawnee on Midnight.
Apollo says, "Tawnee, I should have known you were involved."
[Nov 24, 2004 10:04:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    vurogj    vurojg [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 52   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates