• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 9
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4007 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
JCorrado

What ships are good for soloing? Reply to this Post

Obviously, a sloop is great for soloing- one player and three bots can run it for speed or sturdyness (depending on whether you do 2 sails 1 carp/bilge or 1 sail 1 carp 1 bilge), so it works for trading and fighting.

But, for trading, a sloop can only carry so much cargo. A cutter can carry approximately twice as much- but how effectively can one person and bots run it? And is it even feasible to run a merchant brig solo?

And for fighting- is there any reason to run a cutter solo rather than a sloop? Does the larger ship attract stronger enemies, and therefore stronger payouts? And while a war brig gets you medium cannonshot, is it even in the realm of non-Ultimate players to keep a warbrig afloat with just bots?

Thanks!
John Corsair
----------------------------------------
Johncorsair.

Watch this sig file for future signatures!
[Sep 21, 2004 12:28:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
silverkitty

Re: What ships are good for soloing? Reply to this Post

http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=9024
[size=9]Avatar by Peter Pan
[Sep 21, 2004 12:31:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

Soloing an empty brig. Incredible fun, and I consistently can max the brigands in sloops that I spawn by ramming them. Two good rams usually does the trick. And it's pure profit - 400 PoE per battle :)
[Sep 21, 2004 2:25:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

I scuppering can't wait until Ship Decay.
[Sep 21, 2004 2:38:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jasandrea

A lot of what you can solo depends on skills. For any intra-archipelago trade run shorter than about 8 leagues, I find I can pretty much do two runs in a sloop faster than one in a cutter, because of the vastly fewer times that I get engaged in a sloop. But you can solo a cutter, and on longer runs it would make sense to do so.

Soloing larger ships is depends on what you want to do with them. Since the change in brigand spawn sizes (which I expect the developers to change back or to something else entirely pretty soon), I can turn a pretty good profit soloing war brigs, war frigates and grand frigates using ramming instead of shooting, but it's not actually much fun, so I don't do it unless I need to move the ships somewhere else. I don't see a noticeable increase in the value of the booty you receive on larger ships, but you use a lot less cannon so the profit comes out higher.
Jacquilynne
Elder Cod of The Yo-Ho Yo-Yos, Looterati
Ruby Arch: Where the brigands are Ultimate and the players used to be.
[Sep 21, 2004 2:42:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacquilynne [Link]  Go to top 
Quizzical

To keep a war brig afloat solo is easy, and a merchant brig entirely doable. To keep damage and bilge down and get a lot of tokens is not doable solo. Of course, if you can fight off brigands just fine using only your eight starting tokens and not getting any more during the battle, you can solo a grand frigate.
There is no "i" in "complex numbers".
[Sep 21, 2004 4:05:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JCorrado

Thanks, everyone, for their replies!
Johncorsair.

Watch this sig file for future signatures!
[Sep 21, 2004 5:52:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Diagonti

If you are ultimate at sailing, you can use a cutter as well as a sloop. Last night one of my crew mates and I left byne for Turtle at the same time. We each got in one battle. He was in a sloop with another player and 2 bots, I was in a cutter with 3 bots. I beat him in to Turtle.

Solo'ing big ships is very slow if you are trying to cover distance. Sloops (and Cutters if you are a good enoguh sailor) cover the ground pretty quickly.
Jaenelle
Captain of Simply Pirates

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Raining Cats and Grog distillery on Cranberry,
Hiring at 29/30/35, full queue since 5/24/05.
Looking for a "Simple" Merchant Galleon
[Sep 21, 2004 6:03:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheSerpent

I once had to sail a Merch Brig solo from Park to Winter, chock full of wood - Park was uncolonized at the time.

I lost one fight, but the ship arrived in good order, albeit slowly!
Serpent
Midnight: Less Chaotic nowadays
Cobalt: Captain of Universal Exports
--
Where's me buccaneers? Under me buccan'at.
Where's me corsairs? Never you mind.
[Sep 21, 2004 6:17:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates