• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 68
Posts: 68   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 15862 times and has 67 replies Next Thread
CraftingProj

Round 3 Feedback for Gilthead - now open!

This thread is for feedback on the GCPP Gilthead puzzle. We will collect feedback for a few weeks (at least until January 4th).

Play now!

Please try to share your thoughts on these areas:

* How easy was it to learn to play?
* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)
* Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun?
* Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle?
* Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?
* Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun?
* What is your favorite part of the game?
* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?

Please concentrate on whether the game is fun to play, and not on the quality of graphics, animations, sounds, etc. If this game is chosen for YPP, we will add all that.

Do not post suggestions for improvement to this thread. Those should go here instead.

Thread is open for feedback.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by CraftingProj at Dec 14, 2008 9:12:28 PM]
[Dec 2, 2008 8:29:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nouveau

Re: Round 3 Feedback for Gilthead - now open!

How easy was it to learn to play?

I read the directions once...played it once..read them again and it was all clear very quickly.

* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)

Um...I have it bookmarked and it's kind of a "go to" quick puzzle for me when I don't have time to log on to YPP. So yeah, it's addictive.

Yes. I am still challenged but it's relaxing to me because it's not tied into the stats on my pirate page. :)

Sure. Furniture legs are on all types of items.

* Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?

Five minutes or so. Maybe a bit short for the actual game...but it's nice to have time-factor variety in crafting puzzles. That's why I like blacksmithing: short and sweet. And alchem: long and challenging.

The regular non-greenie is the most fun.

Seeing 'excellent!' scroll down my screen at the very end. :)

* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?

Probably. Maybe with a few more subtle challange tweaks. I'm not ult at anything in game though so who knows? An ult player, I guess. lol.
-Flortoo of Viridan
[Edit 1 times, last edit by nouveau at Dec 25, 2008 10:08:18 PM]
[Dec 14, 2008 11:04:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bartholemu4

conceptually very easy to learn how to play - however - I think the scoring rules need to be expanded and explained better.
because there seems to be multiple levels of scoring possiblity, the addiction level is higher, there are additional "feats" to be accomplished beyond completing a round. In other words, you can choose to complete a round using the most efficient strategy or you can choose to go for even higher scoring combos.
Game play is fun - however the graphics need to be substantially cleaned up to work in the Y!PP world. I personally found the screen to be fairly cluttered and hard to watch.
Of all the game presented I think this game most closely matches the "idea" of building furiture, even if you are only building tables.
sic hoc adfixium in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et ni mis propinquus ades.

...Still waiting for my free cheese ...
[Dec 15, 2008 8:33:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
spinbad

Pretty easy, especially when I stopped using the greenie level and could actually see the special pieces in the instructions
Pretty good. The pieces going by make you wish you were a tad bit faster on the uptake. I think I would spend a substantial amount of time honing my accuracy.
It is. The RNG is indeed a cruel master.
Yes...except for the river. Change it to a rolling belt and I am down with it.
More carefully crafted boards took longer and dared the rat at almost every turn. Cranking out "basic" labor should be easy to accomplish in just a couple of minutes.
I liked the standard settings
Watching the river with a full bench, the rat on its second peek, and that last empty space to give you perfect pattern and color matching.
I think if the speed of the scrolling river were a variable based on skill then yes.
A Nefarious Miscreant
It's not an Avatar, it's an AvaTart
Truvie wrote: 
Just remember...Ignorance can be cured with education. Stupid is forever!

[Dec 15, 2008 10:56:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

It was rather straightforward in how to play

I was fascinated by trying to get perfect columns and rows while trying to avoid the rat.

Oh definitely.

yes

*Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?
It was a comfortable amount of time per game.

The rat 'nom'ing. It made me laugh out loud.

I believe it will. You really have to snag the right pieces when they appear, or face the wrath of the rat.
Jolyma

[Dec 15, 2008 11:48:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sharktailz

* How easy was it to learn to play? Very easy. As usual, I was quite horrible at the beginning, but once I caught on I was on fire.
* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle): I thought this puzzle was very addicting! I did not have to force myself to play at all. If it were implemented into the game, it would definitely be on my top five puzzle list. :-)
* Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun? Absolutely! What's not to love?
* Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle? As I've mentioned in other puzzle feedback threads, any puzzle that really makes me think and takes me a wide chunk of time to complete is a great crafting puzzle to me.
* Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right? On normal it took me three minutes or so (might have been more. Time flies when you are having fun!). This could definitely be stretched out more, though I love me a fast paced puzzle! The timing is great.
* Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun? Greenie was fun, but normal is ten times better. So, so fun!
* What is your favorite part of the game? I really adore the number of color and shape variations there are to choose from, and the speed of the river makes it intense! I love it!
* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players? Definitely. Make higher pieces more rare and speed up the river and you could have a real nail-biting challenge on your hands.
Sharktail, Sage. Avatar by Phillite!

Laptop done broked'd! PM me if you need anything.
[Dec 15, 2008 12:14:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://twitter.com/SharktailYPP [Link]  Go to top 
ellopoppet

[quote]* How easy was it to learn to play?
Super easy once I caught on.
Love this game, out of all of the games I have played in this event so far this is the best.
Very much so.
Aye, everything but the river bit. Perfect fit.
A tad on the short side for me.
Greenie and Mid range.
Matching everything up, the over all feel of the game is what makes it worth playing.
Very much so, once you get to the harder levels it becomes rather hard to keep matching.
~Athens~ Hunter

Want to know who makes my avatars?
[Dec 15, 2008 1:58:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
camelama

Very easy. Wondered what the heck "knotholes" were, as I wasn't ever seeing those or the special pieces - then realized I'd hit 'greenie' and maybe they only showed up in advanced levels - yup. There they were.

Just ... one ... more ... game ...

SO addictive for me.

Yes!

Definitely. Very good carp analogy.

Forgot to watch the time levels, I was having so much fun!! Felt just right.

Normal setting.

"Nice legs!" - tee hee. Loved trying to make each leg a single color and yet strong enough.

I think with the belt (not a river) speed, and different piece challenges, and the rat, it could be challenging.
"Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving!"
-Auntie Mame
[Dec 15, 2008 1:59:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sara_Sparrow

Yes.

* What is the addiction factor?
I found it quite addicting.

I thought so

I believe it could.

Not very long. It felt pretty good.

All.

Don't have one in particular.

Possibly.
Sarahsparrow of Cerulean
Captain of Barnacle for Brains
Lady of Riot

[Dec 15, 2008 2:49:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chada500

So heeere we go.....

-Seeing a lot of people saying how easy they thought it was makes me feel dumb as I could not get a clue how to play and had to mess around a little to figure it out in the game, but hey that's just me. =P

-I actually did have to push myself for a little while to get a hang of it, but it actually wasn't that bad by the time I was finished.

-Ummm, I found it a little on the dull side. It seemed pretty simple even with the combos and things you can make, although the style of game is pretty fun IMO.

-Makes plenty of sense to me with the building pieces and stuff. Enough said.

-Took me about 4 minutes on normal setting once I got it and was concentrating on my score. Seemed like an average time for a crafting puzzle so yah...

-Not much to choose from, but the normal setting seemed by far better than greenie with combos and such.

-I've stated it before that I like more fast paced games, and the moving pieces constantly keep you on your toes.

Again, I never felt too good at this but the combos and such you can get would always leave an ultimate trying to do better.
Viridianmast says, "Ak the OM's are trying to sink me =P"
Dlonelyone says," Just tell them you're alone and you're trying to get across, they're pretty nice.
"Gaia tells you," Hold still while I smash you into the wall!! XD
[Dec 15, 2008 8:35:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randompanzy

[quote]* How easy was it to learn to play?
Easy to learn

it was okay not too addicting to me though though i did enjoy playing it a few times

yes

Yes

I think it is a good amount of time took me about 3-4 min to get a good game.

The greeny game was more fun to me.

Trying to match all the colors and peices together :)

Yes i think it can be.
Randompanzy on every ocean mainly Viridian
SO of Puzzling Privateers
Royal of Imperial Madness

Tranquilized says, u kno yer notorious for lagging? xD

Donsmythe wrote: Welcome to Yohoho Puzzle Pirates Vista

[Dec 15, 2008 10:18:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.teamepsilon.net    phillip1904    GB Fayt    I'm a little kitty that goes MOO! :D [Link]  Go to top 
MrTeatime

Basic gameplay is easy to learn. With each game you learn which tiles create combos.

I don't want to play it for hours. But I think I would play some games regularly.

Playing is fun. But it's hard to get to know all kinds of combos.

In my opinion a perfect fit for furnishing.

Building 3 tables is about right maybe a bit short.

The game should provide a certain challenge. Building tables by just picking the next piece on the river is way to easy. But it's also annoying when the needed color or piece doesn't show up for a long time.

Trying to get as many combos as possible.

Since the pieces appear randomly pure experience in a game won't help if the required pieces don't show up.
Eldrick auf Opal
Leitender Offizier (Senior Officer) der Ghosts of Darkness
Priester des dunklen Lords El Pollo
[Dec 16, 2008 9:37:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    mrteatime2001    JonathanTeatime    22517701 [Link]  Go to top 
puppy1254170

I see people saying easy, but I didn't get the game.
I had to force myself to play, I didn't get what to do and just went with placing skinny pieces on both sides, which didnt work...
I, personally, did not find it fun.
I guess it does, I can see how these represent the table legs...
I don't really know because I got bored and just stoped playing after about 5 minutes, which to me is too long.
none.
I don't have a favorite part.
Yes, I would think so.

-Missjessica of Sage

This feedback is NOT in any way intended to offend the creator.
Missjessica on Sage Emerald

Starting back up from square one. *Sigh*
[Dec 16, 2008 2:35:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Perlandria

This feedback is NOT in any way intended to offend the creator.

None taken! :D Please don't worry. (and I am very sure Ember and Chien are okay too. Feedback is more valuable than our egos.)
Furnishing Puzzle Project:
Discussion: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=97545
Prototype: http://albert.best.vwh.net/gilthead/GiltHead.html
Proposal: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/GCPP:Proposal-Gilthead
[Dec 16, 2008 3:17:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Irig    Perlandria [Link]  Go to top 
EmberLeo

No, I'm not offended at all. Games are never fun if you don't know how to play them!

I am, however, wondering if there is some way I can improve the instructions so you can get it better. It's not built into the code, but it's part of the prototype page, so I don't know if I'm allowed to update the *instructions* or not.

--Ember--
Furnishing Project - Gilthead
Thread: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=97545
[Dec 16, 2008 3:27:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

I believe changes to instructions and fixes for bugs are still fine. Only changes to features are disallowed during the code freeze stage.
Tanonev on all oceans; currently exploring Meridian.
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Dec 16, 2008 4:16:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
EmberLeo

Ah! Very helpful, thank you.

--Ember--
Thread: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=97545
[Dec 16, 2008 4:21:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Master15S

I found this game a while back and love it. The instructions are clear enough that I can figure out things (like the fish)
I randomly play this game anyway, but the only part that keeps me from doing it more is the lack of play again button. I read above and know your not allowed to change that, though =)
YES!
It is crafting, therefore, yes.
About 5 minutes per each frame, so about 13 minutes for all three.. It is perfect!
Normal players =D I used to try the greenie version, but that is too easy.. Normal is better.
The last part, where it says the different names for your legs ^_^
Yes, because try as I might, I can't pass poor. ^_^ So it'll always be a challenging puzzle.

Padme
PadmeMaster-- Only playing when she feels like it

I'm SICK of moving. Yay for one last move for a while!

[Dec 17, 2008 6:51:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Padmemaster.googlepages.com [Link]  Go to top 
yasinath

* How easy was it to learn to play? very easy.
this was my favorite so far. I played this several times, and would probably keep playing but I want to test all the puzzles.
yes.
it's very item-specific. It might be good if there was a way to make it broader in application, like have different shapes to complete for different furniture objects. Also, the "river" aspect is a little random. I like having to "catch" pieces as they go by, but fishing table legs out of a river doesn't make sense when applied to any reality about building furniture.
The default of two or three tables per round seemed too short. I tried five and that was better.
5 tables, with a faster river speed and advanced colors and shapes, with all bonuses applied.
the strategy of focusing on color vs shape, and trying to balance both against the rats.
yes
[Dec 18, 2008 12:00:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    groundlingchild [Link]  Go to top 
Loren_S

Not sure that I have learnd it.

Don't think I need to come back

It has some potential. With a good introduction it and learningcurve it might be fun

yes

5-10 min. Much of it is waiting for some pieces to come by. Then its timecritical to take them. Not bad but for a crafting puzzle the timefactor should be less

As I did not realy get the point i can't say.

Did not get the point

Might have a good balance between luck and strategie. But as I did not play enough I can't realy say
CoatOSilver, Captain of Forget About It, Retired King of ©©©, Sage
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Loren_S at Dec 18, 2008 6:37:26 AM]
[Dec 18, 2008 6:36:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pn55406

It was easy to learn

* What is the addiction factor?
I found it to be a little addicting.

yes/no

yes

I felt it to be the about right or too long in time.

I thought they where all ok.

The different tiles. I think that they could be better designed though.

I think it would!

It would be cool if there could be a training page that you start with first. That you can skip if you have already gone though it.

I hope this helps with your makeing of the puzzle. : )

Cheers, Blakbead
Blakbead of the Meridian
-----------------------------------------------------
Avatar brought to you by Cattrin
[Edit 1 times, last edit by pn55406 at Jan 7, 2009 6:30:17 PM]
[Dec 18, 2008 7:48:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Isa_pepsi

Weeeee a test!

- Well, at the start it was difficult, but is easy to learn.

- It tempts me!

- Yes, very fun.

- Yep.

- About right

- Easy xP

- Thin pieces, stronger.

- Yeeeeeeeeees :D
Beks, on the Viridian Ocean.

Lives in Cottage at Sakejima Island.
[Dec 18, 2008 6:11:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmberLeo

* What is your favorite part of the game? - Thin pieces, stronger.

I'm not sure what you mean by that? Thin pieces are weaker...? Are you just saying you like the strength aspect as part of the game?

--Ember--
[Dec 18, 2008 6:16:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
devastation6

How easy was it to learn to play? THis puzzle was very easy to learnt to play
I would say that its not addicting although i did play it several times so i could get incred didnt manage that one
THis game waspretty fun
* Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle? Sure
It actualyl feels a little long
* Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun? Normal game?
* What is your favorite part of the game? ohhhh pretty colors!
* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players? yep
Devastation

Devastating all oceans
[Dec 18, 2008 10:35:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aleashia530

This was a fun game and I thought I was doing well but at the end it said POOR.....
[Dec 18, 2008 10:38:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Anneogram

* How easy was it to learn to play? Very easy to play
* What is the addiction factor? Ok, problem was I didnt get into the strategy element other than grabbing colours in same columns and avoiding knotted pieces
* Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun? OK, will be more fun if I had got to stage of strategy rather than just grabbing colours I wanted
Yes, conveyer belt better analogy than river
* Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? bit quick, speed of grabbing seemed to be my overiding factor
Depends how long you can wait for piece is most important factor
speed factor overides the strategy part
[Dec 19, 2008 3:53:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ellopoppet

Edit I some how posted twice!
~Athens~ Hunter

Want to know who makes my avatars?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ellopoppet at Jan 1, 2009 6:18:55 PM]
[Dec 19, 2008 4:15:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kaoma

easy
very addictive
YES!!!
aye for furniture
right
normal game with speed 3
trying to get a perfect set
aye
Orchidee, on Cerulean and all other oceans

Don't call me Orc! I'm a flower not a beast
[Edit 1 times, last edit by kaoma at Dec 20, 2008 8:55:10 AM]
[Dec 20, 2008 8:22:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Loonytonks

Instructions that are on the page with the prototype confused me somewhat but after reading the yppedia page I got it easy.

* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle
Its soo addicting! Curse you, I will never do my spanish coursework now. X D
Yes

Yes, the idea of balancing quality of finished product with time taken before the rat arrives really reminds me of real crafting. River seems slightly random, conveyor belt would probably fit better, it could be mouse powered like in apocarathy(sp?)

About right, feels like it takes about the same time as crafting puzzles already in the game.

1 blueprint, rat 10+10+10=30, full shape and colour and default river speed.

All of it> XD

Yes because harder settings still make it to hard for me now.
Promethious on Sage, Yes I cant spell and happened to pick an OM name.

Officer of Atlantean Explorers.
[Dec 20, 2008 12:44:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RTreu

Once I realised there was a bench to put things in, it was easy.

I can hardly stop playing it, it's great.

Aye, got me to concentrate and that's fun for me.

If I rushed it I could do it in 3 mins... But getting a perfect game with all 3 rounds with 4 columns of the same colour and all the rows the same shape took me quite a while. It'd be the right length in my opinion if it had only 1 round instead of 3

At the end of the rounds when it went through it's scoring phase, all the hard work paying off.

Yeah, it'd be harder to get it perfect if the belt moved slower, or alot quicker.

-Mrpegleg
Mrpegleg on the Midnight ocean.
[Dec 20, 2008 10:37:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 68   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates