• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 36
Posts: 36   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9563 times and has 35 replies Next Thread
CraftingProj

Round 3 Feedback for Danio - now open!

This thread is for feedback on the GCPP Danio puzzle. We will collect feedback for a few weeks (at least until January 4th). Remember that this is an unfinished prototype - there is no scoring, nor an end to the game.

How to Play

Play now!

Please try to share your thoughts on these areas:

* How easy was it to learn to play?
* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)
* Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun?
* Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle?
* Approximately how long do you typically play? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?
* Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun?
* What is your favorite part of the game?
* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?
* Which stack-populating method did you prefer, the random Freecell-like one or the semi-organized one?
* Would you enjoy the game more if you had the ability to move several pieces at a time from tower to tower, al la Freecell?

Please concentrate on whether the game is fun to play, and not on the quality of graphics, animations, sounds, etc. If this game is chosen for YPP, we will add all that.

Do not post suggestions for improvement to this thread. Those should go here instead.

Thread is open for feedback.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 4 times, last edit by CraftingProj at Dec 29, 2008 6:31:37 AM]
[Dec 2, 2008 8:29:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Happyharlot

Re: Round 3 Feedback for Danio - now open!

Wasn't too bad, did have to go back to directions a few times before I grasped it.

* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)
Could be kind of addicting. I did want to play more but it seems like it needs a bit more development, some sort of idea of scoring, time, ..something to let me know it recorded what I accomplished.

Yes.

Yes, could be explained as building shapes for furniture.

* Approximately how long do you typically play? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?
I didn't see any sort of time or scoring on this game, unless I didn't play it long enough, in which case, it was too long.

I enjoyed both.

I liked the strategey and planning in it.

* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?
Maybe

* Which stack-populating method did you prefer, the random Freecell-like one or the semi-organized one?
Hmm.. I liked both. Maybe freecell a little better.

* Would you enjoy the game more if you had the ability to move several pieces at a time from tower to tower, al la Freecell?
Perhaps, I would have to try it.
Cheers,
Happyharlot
Viridian and Ocean Wide, (Nanncy on Hunter)
Make a Playlist to Share with Your Fellow Pirates :)

[Dec 29, 2008 3:27:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sara_Sparrow

Moderately easy after reading the directions.

It could definitely be addicting.

If I could manage to get good at it, it would be.

Eh, it's a stretch.

I would prefer it to be shorter.

I don't know.

Can't think of anything specific.

I'm sure it could be.

Semi-organized.

Possibly.
Sarahsparrow of Cerulean
Captain of Barnacle for Brains
Lady of Riot

[Dec 29, 2008 5:55:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Luvessy

While I understand the pie-stacking concept, the lack of any feedback from the game left me feeling that I didn't understand the game goals.
I didn't understand what I needed to do well enough to judge the game. I hope there might be more explanation, as I'd like to try it out more.

Unable to judge.

I don't see the analogy for a furnishing puzzle. There may be ways to create it...sorting through materials to make furniture, for example...

I didn't really understand what I needed to do and whether I was doing it.

It would certainly be a different game. As a logic puzzle concept, I like that you only move on piece at a time.
--Mistymate

(Avatar by Sancha.)
[Dec 29, 2008 9:25:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

I had to read through a few times, but then I got the hang of it. The fact that there was no indication of having done anything right was a bit confusing.

* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)I kept wanting to go again, so for me I would say it was addictive.

* Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun?yes

It was a wonderful logic puzzle, but as it is, I don't see the correlation to a crafting puzzle as it is now.

I was never sure when it was over.

I found the entire game to be enjoyable, so I am not sure I could break it down into one specific thing.

I believe so.

Random

Not enjoyable, per se, but it seems more logical to me. Then again, I play Freecell alot, so that could be why I was expecting to be allowed to move groupings.
Jolyma

[Dec 29, 2008 9:32:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

but it seems like it needs a bit more development, some sort of idea of scoring, time, ..something to let me know it recorded what I accomplished.

I didn't understand what I needed to do well enough to judge the game. I hope there might be more explanation, as I'd like to try it out more.

I was never sure when it was over.

I appreciate the comments so far, but please remember that this is an unfinished prototype. JD was nice enough to devote a few hours to fixing up some problems that the original programmer left when he up and disappeared but this is still far from complete - namely, the game doesn't track your progress, record any kind of score, or even come to an end. Right now what you're evaluating is as advanced as the "Roll the dice and move your token" part of Monopoly.
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Dec 29, 2008 10:03:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
Arnora

Pretty easy with instructions.

I didn't have to force myself to play it, but I've seen more addictive. It has potential though, once scoring is implemented to add a sense of competitiveness.

I thought it was, for the most part.

It's a far stretch, but might work.

It's hard to answer this, since the game never tells you when a playing session is over. I think a requirement of 5-10 finished patterns per session seems appropriate.

I used the default, which seemed fairly balanced

Trying to create the different shape patterns

I think it would if the patterns kept getting more difficult.

random

It would make things move along quicker in some cases, so yes
Arnora on all Green oceans, but mainly Viridian

SO of Die By The Sword
Princess of Post Mortem
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Arnora at Dec 29, 2008 10:11:00 PM]
[Dec 29, 2008 10:09:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ppplushies

I didn't understand it quite well at first, so like usual I had to go to the Y!PPedia page.

The colours are nice, but it's not that addicting. I don't get bored playing it, but it isn't a puzzle I could sit down and do for an hour.

Yes.

Sort of, the colours and the shapes work, but you're not really building anything.

I found it to be a little too long.

I liked both.

I loved planning!

Depends on how many people enjoy the puzzle. It seems like the type of puzzle that a bunch of people would like, while other despise it. I'd say it'd be pretty hard though.

I liked the Freecell one better.

Yes.
Kadazzle
[Dec 29, 2008 10:10:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sharktailz

* How easy was it to learn to play? After reading the instructions over a few times it was very easy to understand the goal. I tried to wing it the very first time (as I usually attempt to do) but it was very difficult. It didn't give me any feedback whatsoever, making it hard to pick up whether I was doing the puzzle correctly.
* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle) Personally, there is none. Sadly enough, I feel that the puzzle is mildly boring. This emotion desperately effects my addiction level. I was becoming distracted with many other things while trying to gain experience for decent feedback. Hopefully this will change with major tweaks.
* Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun? Meh. It wasn't horrible, it wasn't completely thrilling.. I find rating it is easier than putting it into words on some cases, so the fun factor will receive a 4.2/10.
* Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle? Not completely. So far crafting puzzles stimulate a large quantity of thought process, and it upsets me to say that this does not. It is too simple. While we are on the subject, I cannot really see this as a furnishing puzzle. It reminds me more of lifting weights or measurements of some sort rather than building pieces of furniture.
* Approximately how long do you typically play? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right? The puzzle does not give enough feedback for me to critique this feature.
* Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun? From what I recall there was no changing of levels nor settings, therefor I do not have enough feedback for me to say.
* What is your favorite part of the game? N/A
* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players? Not at the moment. If the pattern difficulty thickened and perhaps the amount of time you have to accomplish the task, yes. Currently, no.
* Which stack-populating method did you prefer, the random Freecell-like one or the semi-organized one? The random freecell was much more interesting to me. It gave a little more difficulty than the semi-organized towers, which is always fun! :)
* Would you enjoy the game more if you had the ability to move several pieces at a time from tower to tower, al la Freecell? Absolutely! The one-piece-at-a-time was becoming dull and took what seemed like ages. The ability to move several pieces at a time would give me great pleasure.

Reading over my post I noticed that it may seem like I am bashing this puzzle. I would like to formally say that in no way did I mean any harm. Fiddler, Myran, you did a great job!
Sharktail, Sage. Avatar by Phillite!

Laptop done broked'd! PM me if you need anything.
[Dec 29, 2008 11:40:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://twitter.com/SharktailYPP [Link]  Go to top 
Loren_S

I'm not sure I have learned it yet.

Not very high. Especialy the lack of feedback is frustrating

If I get the point correctly it might be. The default/test settings are to hard to get the idea of the game

Not very well.

Some minutes and already too long. Again missing feedback might be a problem

Did not try different ones.

The towers of hanoi idea.

It seems complex enough for that. The lower end seems much more problematic to me.

Could not get much difference out of them. But might be my insufficient understanding of the game.

Could be.
CoatOSilver, Captain of Forget About It, Retired King of ©©©, Sage
[Dec 30, 2008 2:38:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kaoma

As you get no feedback it's very difficult to judge whether you understand the game
* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do?
(or somewhere in the middle)
not very addicting
not very much as the game did not give any feedback
maybe
difficult to judge when the game does not end
I only tried the starting distribution
Trying to get shapes
not sure
random
aye
Orchidee, on Cerulean and all other oceans

Don't call me Orc! I'm a flower not a beast
[Dec 30, 2008 3:14:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MrTeatime

Learning the game with the provided prototyp is hard, because there is no actual feedback about a legal clear and the right to reqeust a new task. E.g. Task "No green". Is it allowed to clear a tower consisting of one red piece? Actually the prototype allows clearing any tower for any task.

The Quick Guide offers possible structures, but it's not clear if these are mandatory structures or just examples. Does a cone have to contain 8 pieces or is a 4-piece-cone (e.g. 5 4 3 2) a legal cone?
Is a single 5-piece a legal diamond (with only one layer)?

The complete game could be addicting. Can't say it with the prototype.

Same as above. The game could be fun to play.

It somehow suits furnishing, but is a bit too abstract for that.

Since the prototype doesn't provide any feedback...can't tell.

I think that the randomly placed pieces offer a wider range to start. Because apparently the stacking restrictions do not apply to the starting setup. So it's possible to start with heavy big pieces. In the ordered setup you're stuck to build cones or cylinders. Hourglasses and Pyramids are hard to build with the required pieces at the bottom.

The approach is different compared to the already existing puzzles.

I think that the parameters offer enough possibilities to provide challenge for ult level players.

Definitely Freecell-like. See level settings.

Moving several pieces (i.e. automatically do the required steps) will speed up game play. Actually a solitaire like piece movement could also be fun.
Eldrick auf Opal
Leitender Offizier (Senior Officer) der Ghosts of Darkness
Priester des dunklen Lords El Pollo
[Dec 30, 2008 8:08:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    mrteatime2001    JonathanTeatime    22517701 [Link]  Go to top 
CurlyKidd

It wasn't too hard to pick up how to play, but I just didn't enjoy it. I also don't see the analogy here. I tried this a few times, but the lack of feedback from the game made it hard for me to tell if I was doing anything right really.
[Dec 30, 2008 9:51:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    tr1265 [Link]  Go to top 
randompanzy

Kinda hard to understand :(

Even though it was hard for me to get i did get addicted to learn how to play it.

Yes.

maybe It would be kinda a stretch though

Too long :(

Normal settings

Required alot of fun thinking

i dont think so

semi-organzied

No idea but if it can be put it i would like to try it :(
Randompanzy on every ocean mainly Viridian
SO of Puzzling Privateers
Royal of Imperial Madness

Tranquilized says, u kno yer notorious for lagging? xD

Donsmythe wrote: Welcome to Yohoho Puzzle Pirates Vista

[Dec 30, 2008 2:44:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.teamepsilon.net    phillip1904    GB Fayt    I'm a little kitty that goes MOO! :D [Link]  Go to top 
Anneogram

* How easy was it to learn to play? Fairly easy to understand the rules although I had to keep checking the colour sequence
* What is the addiction factor? I didnt enjoy it as it required too much thinking for me, not a game I wanted to play
* Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun? Not for me
* Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle? Not really
* Approximately how long do you typically play? I didnt want to take on the effort to complete, Nice puzzle but not something I wanted to solve
* Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun? Default settings were hard enough
* What is your favorite part of the game? Would benefit from more feedback when pattern achieved, that would become the Favourite bit
* If you played enough to get good at this game Could be made very challenging, but danger that very monotonous to solve
* Which stack-populating method did you prefer random Freecell-like
* Would you enjoy the game more if you had the ability to move several pieces at a time from tower to tower, al la Freecell? Yes this would improve the game
[Dec 30, 2008 4:47:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
perfectteen

How easy was it to learn to play?

I was really confused at first, and it took me a while even after I read the rules.

What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)

I played for a bit, but when I found that nothing was really happening, I gave up.

Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun?

This reminds me of a game that I played as a child, but beyond that I wasn't interested.

Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle?

This, to me, doesn't relate to furnishing at all.

Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?

It took me a few minutes to play until I gave up - I felt that it took to long to get any desired effects.

Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun?

The beginning was alright.

What is your favorite part of the game?

I liked making the 'orders' asked for.

If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?

Yes, but I don't think anyone would want to play for even longer at a harder level to do so.

Which stack-populating method did you prefer, the random Freecell-like one or the semi-organized one?

I liked playing the random Freecell one better because if was more interesting.

Would you enjoy the game more if you had the ability to move several pieces at a time from tower to tower, al la Freecell?

It would make it easier, and usually easier equals more fun when there's not much fun to begin with.

Nemesis broadcasts,

"The skellies are on the move. All hail Nemesis."

[Edit 2 times, last edit by perfectteen at Dec 30, 2008 4:59:23 PM]
[Dec 30, 2008 4:56:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gawynn

Most of the problems with this review are due to the incomplete nature of the demo. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to properly evaluate the puzzle when it's missing so many pieces... especially the scoring scheme. Without knowing what is good/bad/efficient/acceptable behavior, the addictive nature of the puzzle is severely hamstrung because there's no system to try and solve, which is much of the fun of a scored (vs. unscored, "simple" puzzle)

That said, I think the idea has lots of merit. In particularl, I love the idea (intentional or not) the idea of a puzzle which is based on completion (not efficiency)... ie: Not "Can you do this better", just "Can you do this at all?" That's something we've not seen in ANY other puzzle and something I think we should investigate more.

The UI is fidgety, but the strategy is relatively straight forward.

* What is the addiction factor?

Lots of potential, but at the moment the pacing interferes with the "flow", which makes it less addictive... and without the scoring scheme to provide a carrot and stick, there's much less addictive nature.

For hardcore puzzlers, this is fun at least at first. It may start to feel like busywork after a while but I don't know yet. One problem it does have is solvability... a little DP algorithm could play this game easily (the game tree is fairly narrow), which can manifest itself as a feeling of drudgery later on.

Not really, no. Piling things on top of each other isn't "building" or crafting. Towers of Hanoi is a combinatorics puzzle, and the fractal nature of the solution generating graph makes me think it would be more suited to other flavours of puzzle (Imagine a gunnery-esque puzzle where different materials on the ship's deck have to be rearranged to make the needed supplies available in the right place).

Impossible to judge without some kind of success/completion metric.

The basic settings provided sufficient interesting challenge.

The sense of juggling... the crux point where you need to squeak through to optimally get to multiple goals simultaneously.

The game as it stands is sufficiently to bring a core complexity which will satisfy various types of ultimate level players, but it would need some other "orthogonal challenges" like we see in most YPP puzzles (patterns in addition to colours, etc) to really keep ultimate level players enthralled and satisified with their own performances.

The freecell towers provide something of a false sense of accomplishment, because they (seemingly) reward people for solving the simple towers of hanoi problem just to deconvolve the starting game state... when in fact the true difficulty/challenge/purpose(?) of the puzzle is negotiating multiple target goals at once. Whether that's good or bad I don't know.

I don't think it would take anything away from the game, as the core challenges described above aren't circumvented, but that may not be true for all types/levels of puzzlers... needs more testing.

Overall:

To do it justice, the demo needs a lot of work... I realize that the puzzle designer isn't necessarily at fault here but there's no getting around it. Given the weak fit for flavour and the large amount of untapped potential, I'm inclined to say this puzzle should be "pushed back" for a future GCPP round. That way it can get the development time it needs to shine, on an RP area which is more appropriate.
[Dec 30, 2008 10:40:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmberLeo

I recognize that this is an unfinished prototype. I am not complaining that it is unfinished, but I do call out where the fact that it is unfinished makes it hard for me to evaluate, and I do my best to hazard an educated guess where applicable.

The basics are pretty familiar, so that was easy enough. Figuring out exactly what *kind* of stacks to make was a little more complicated. The patterns make sense, but how do they relate to the buttons along the bottom exactly? And how specifically to I need to match the patterns? Obviously the colors are modular, but I wasn't sure if there was a minimum height, if the increments had to always be + or - 1, etc.

Of course, it rather helps to read the instructions carefully, as they're written well enough.

* What is the addiction factor?
I basically have to force myself, for two reasons:

1) Towers of Hanoi is a busywork puzzle. Once you understand how to get lower pieces where they need to go, you're done with the majority of the thinking, and just have a lot of largely mindless repetition ahead. For me that's just not fun.

Now, this puzzle has layers of thought beyond mere Towers of Hanoi, but suffers from the mechanism. Sure, it's appropriate to actual crafting to have that level of mindless repetition, but maybe too literally. ;)

I agree with the suggestion that Freecell movement might resolve that, and still leave room for what makes this potentially interesting.

2) I'm having trouble imagining how the orders will actually relate to the rest of the game, so it's very hard for me to get addicted. Without the scoring mechanisms in place, I have no sense of accomplishment. Also, a lot of things are still manual that would be automatic in the completed game, which prevents me from settling in to the puzzle vision characteristic of addiction.

I can't say this ruins the potential for an addicting puzzle, it just makes it hard for me to get addicted now.

I honestly can't tell yet. I think perhaps it could be, yes. I doubt it would ever be my personal favorite, though, but I'm more of an Alchemistry and Shipwrightery puzzler, and I think this would appeal more to Distillers, perhaps, in that it's all about developing an intuitive grasp of the movement.

Hmm maybe about as well as Shipwrightery or Blacksmithing, such that game art makes all the difference. There's nothing about the current game art that conflicts with a crafting metaphor, so I'm sure it can work.

I'm not sure what the designer intends to be a single game, so I can't answer this directly. My impression is that timing isn't an issue, because it's definitely a many-orders-per-game kind of puzzle, so it can easily be fine-tuned to suit the needs of the game.

I like 4 holding places, but I may be basing that expectation on Freecell. With 2 I felt too limited. With 4 I only occasionally felt limited. With more, I wouldn't feel sufficiently limited. Hmm, I should go back and try 3, eh?

I definitely like more colors. Other than that, I didn't percieve much difference...

Oh! Well, if the patterns require +/- 1 incrementing, instead of just larger/smaller in general, it would be nicer to start with taller and more diverse stacks. If bigger gaps are acceptable, it's fine at default, I think.

Ultimately I think this one is a bit like Lockjaw in that there's a couple different directions it can take, depending on which way you set the variables - a slower, more complicated thinking game, or a smaller, less complicated, more fast-paced game.

Without knowing what mechanism will be used to instill a sense of accomplishment and a sense of urgency, it's hard to tell which settings are the most fun relative to those important factors.

Call me biased, but I really like the whole make-vertical-patterns-by-stacking-rainbow-pieces thing. I do have to resist the urge to simply sort them, though. I keep wanting to make towers that are all one color, or all one size, instead of matching the patterns. ;]

Hmm, I saw a difference when the stacks appeared, but I didn't notice much difference in how I played. I think it would make a huge difference if Freecell movement was implemented, though, at which point random or semi-random stacking would be needful.

Yes, I think I would enjoy it MUCH more. Well, at least if it moved all of the color I'm working on, not necessarily the whole stack, even if it follows the stacking rules.

And I don't think it would be any less of a puzzle. Freecell specifically doesn't remove the obligation of understanding how the movement must work (as opposed to traditional Solitaire, where you can just pick up the stack regardless of swap space), nor does it solve all possible problems, but at least it makes it so that it's only a manual problem when it's truly a puzzle, instead of being busywork.

--Ember--
Furnishing Project - Gilthead
Proposal: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/GCPP:Proposal-Gilthead
Thread: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=97545
Prototype: http://albert.best.vwh.net/gilthead/GiltHead.html
[Edit 1 times, last edit by EmberLeo at Jan 4, 2009 2:42:01 AM]
[Dec 30, 2008 10:50:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
spartantrian

I didn't have too much trouble with the basics, the quick tutorial page was fairly effective.
It wasn't great; I would have preferred to have been playing something else. I didn't feel particularly accomplished when I completed a pattern and therefore wasn't compelled to try for more.
It is neither the best nor worst game I've played. I do like the real life basis of this game but somehow something is lost. I suspect that it lies in the speed of execution. Once I've decided to do something it can take forever to execute and I get bored in that time as my brain doesn't really need to function.
I think it works quite nicely. Especially for the shape specific requirements. (ie. hourglass, cylinder)
I played each setting for about 15 min. It absolutely felt too long. This would be pretty easy to solve with a timing or scoring system though.
I didn't get too crazy with the settings, although I did like more stacks and colors better than fewer.
My favorite part was figuring out how I could make a single stack that would fill as many requirements as possible.
I could see so. The starting order could be changed and certain shapes are definitely harder to make. If bonuses depended on clearing several requirements with a single stack and the stacks got progressively harder than it could vary easily be challenging to elite players.
I preferred the organized stacks that used player rules. They seemed a bit easier to start with.
Oh absolutely. Stack moving is my BFF in freecell. Much of the busywork tedium would be eliminated, making the puzzle about flexing brains not my index finger.
Rowyerboat on Hunter
[Dec 31, 2008 2:33:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
camelama

Yup!
Isn't addicting at all for me, but that's probably because I loathe the logic puzzle of The Towers, as it's just so much 'busy work' moving things around. There's no real skill other than remembering what order you move the discs around in. But that's purely me and my hatred for the Towers logic game. :) :)

This game was fun, with the addition of colors shapes to build, not just "move all these discs to the other end and end up in the same order".

Not for me, but again, it's my problem with the Towers game this seems based off of.

Too long

I liked trying to make the differet shapes

Not sure, are there special pieces and risks and challenges that might be added...
I liked both for different reasons.

Yes, it would cut down on all the busy-work moving - but then, it wouldn't be as difficult, because you wouldn't have to keep track of as much stuff.
"Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving!"
-Auntie Mame
[Dec 31, 2008 6:54:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
puppy1254170

It was a little hard at first, so I had to refer to the instructions.
I had to pretty much force myself to play, mostly because I couldn't fully understand it...
A bit, yes.
*Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle?
I think it does, building shapes for furniture pieces.
It felt a little too long for me.
The freecell one
Being challenged into having certain shapes.
Yes.
Freecell
yes.

Missjessica on Sage.
Missjessica on Sage Emerald

Starting back up from square one. *Sigh*
[Jan 1, 2009 10:59:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ellopoppet

How easy was it to learn to play?
I can click and move things but as for understanding I am more lost now than I was when I played this game a week or so ago.

I have to force myself everytime

No, not for me. I think I need to be shown how it works, to fully get it. Youtube video in the plans?

For alch but I can't see anything other than that.

* Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?
I can't seem to finish a puzzle. So too long.

I was confused by even that. There is like 7 levels and two other options to pick from?

None yet. It reminds me of that toy pre-schoolers have.

Yeah
~Athens~ Hunter

Want to know who makes my avatars?
[Jan 1, 2009 6:07:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
antisilence

I didn't really understand it very well.

I had to pull myself away from the game.

It was very frustrating

No, I can't see it being one.

As the game is still a prototype and has no end I couldn't really say.

I was too confused =/

The freecell part I liked.

I think it would.

The freecell setting.

Yes.
Aeval - Malachite
Linnyani - Hunter (back and kicking bottom)

Piplicus says, "I heard whenever Emerson sings, all cats and dogs die anyway

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/SchwaWarrior/YPP/Card_Linnyani.png
[Jan 2, 2009 9:16:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Discojack

[quote]* How easy was it to learn to play?
It seems simple at first but damn it those controls are very hard to master. The hardest puzzle to learn to play effectively out of all the puzzles in testing. The combos were relatively simple to understand but too vague as to how they go towards scoring. (unfinished sort of says it I guess so pointing out the obvious but still)

The very challenging aspect of the game keeps the player trying over and over and after quite a few tries I still didn't feel as I could master it and wanted moar but got tired. Slightly easier or clearer manner of placing the peices and how they go together would make the game flow a bit more smoothly and make it more addictive.

Not at all. It's a game I loved to hate and I despise it to the core. Too complex, minuscule numbers, (no scoring and whatnot probably makes my opinion tad more hateful then it should be) Could be made fun with more leniant ways to stack things, a timer of some sort to keep the player on edge or just shiny stuff to make you think the game isn't as evil as it really is.
Overall a "meh" on the fun scale.

Nah. What I think of when I see this is those child toys which look excatly the same with rings of colors and all that stuff. Last thing on my mind is the idea I am making chairs and chests by stacking those things.

Making the shapes took a fair bit of brainz and time but it seems very versatile with space for multiple patterns and the many poles so it could probably be regulated to fit into the acceptable crafting puzzle session time.

They all seemed the same and all too hard to progress in. I always seemed to get stuck unbuilding and rebuilding into good shapes which sucked. More flow and allowance on movements would make it easier at the start and fun.

Did I say I hated this game well I'm gonna say it again.
"I hate it all" What I disliked the less though would have to be the challenge which comes from mixing the ordered patterns at the bottom into a single shape. Making it happen by building it was horrible but the potential is in there.

I could barely work the puzzle at the default or easy level whatever it was so it can definitely pose a challenge to ults and beyond for sure.
Freecell.

That would be a magor improvement for the fun bit cause tmost of the frutration comes from moving peices aorund one by one. Not sure if it would make it too easy though or more confusing then it already is. But yeah stack moving = improvement
When God gives you lemons
Find a new God!

Viprince
[Jan 3, 2009 12:32:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kittycool

After reading the instructions twice, I understood easily.

It's not my type of game, yet I have to admit I found it very addicting and kept coming back to play it.

Not really, I find it extremely plain and boring.

I couldn't really see it fit as any of the crafting puzzles.

I kept playing it in around 5-10 minutes sessions, after that it got too boring and I lsot my interest.

The standard ones.

I didn't really have any.

Yes, definitely.

I liked the random Frecell one.

It would make it much more enjoyable.
Kittyocool on Hunter
[Jan 3, 2009 11:03:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Easy.... after reading the instructions like a million times.

I had to force myself at the start, but then I just kept playing!

It sure is.

With a little more work to it, yes.

It doesn't give any feedback, but too long IMO.

Both to an extent.

Trying to do the most challenging forms as the hourglass for exmaple

Yes. More colors, more pieces, more fun, more difficult.

Freecell-like

No. The idea of the game is to plan how will you move your pieces.
Quitex, everywhere.

Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Jan 6, 2009 10:57:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
draco9

Dracon on midnight

-Easy to play, but the scoring factor isn't clear, as stacks can be cleared or patterns can be cleared, but there's no indication what is scoring.

-It's okay, it reminds me of the towers of Hanoi tho...

-Only to the extent that the towers of Hanoi are fun, you can only stack bricks so much..

-Not really, unless we have something that relates to Hanoi/Jenga.

* Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game?
Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?
-I'm not sure as there isn't a clear end to the round, so I don't know how long its taking me to clear a round.

-Stayed on the default settings

-The ability to make patterns?

-Mabey
Dracon, Captain of Revenge of Io on the Midnight Ocean
Queen of Deus ex Machina

[Jan 6, 2009 1:26:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.utdallas.edu/~tmh015200    senior_draco    talonsof10 [Link]  Go to top 
Perlandria

The movement was easy. The logic of what color and what size can go on something else is not. Am I locked out of heavier colors once I spectrum shift up? Is it that I have to have an orange 3 to support a red 1, not an orange 2? I don't know! The single piece movement got in the way of my learning curve 'cus I would be concentrating on shuffling and by the time I got the two pieces I though I was aiming for, I couldn't exactly remember why I thought they would fit and was very frustrated I couldn't color shift towards red by number shifting towards 1.

I have to force myself to play, specifically because of the Towers single piece movement.

I can't tell. I never got into it enough to say yes or no for sure.

Somewhat.

It feels too long because of my impatience with the movement. Is it actually too long? Probably not.

None

The pattern choices look interesting, if I could endure the movement enough to get there.

I am too frustrated to say.

Neither was better enough to make a difference.

YES! PLEASE!
Furnishing Puzzle Project:
Discussion: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=97545
Prototype: http://albert.best.vwh.net/gilthead/GiltHead.html
Proposal: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/GCPP:Proposal-Gilthead
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Perlandria at Jan 7, 2009 5:51:23 PM]
[Jan 7, 2009 5:50:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Irig    Perlandria [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

Am I locked out of heavier colors once I spectrum shift up?
Yup.

Is it that I have to have an orange 3 to support a red 1, not an orange 2?
Nope - an orange piece, no matter how big, can never support a red piece.

You can never place a heavier color on top of a lighter color. Ever. I'll add a blurb onto the quickstart reinforcing that.
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Jan 7, 2009 6:05:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
usalights

First kudos to the developer of this game for coming up with a concept that IS NOT a spinoff of another puzzle w/in PP. That's the good news.

* How easy was it to learn to play? eh middle of the road

* What is the addiction factor? there wasn't any for me.
Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle) I had to force myself to play this one.

Not really when you have to force yerself to play!

It could possibly for a weavery puzzle
* Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? About 10 min.
Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?
About right
Didn't find any of them exciting ehough to hold my interest to continue playing.

* What is your favorite part of the game? Don't have one

* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players? No, and maybe

Sorry mate :(
[Jan 7, 2009 8:16:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 36   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates