• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 41
Posts: 41   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10781 times and has 40 replies Next Thread
CraftingProj

Round 3 Feedback for Mariggle - now open!

This thread is for feedback on the GCPP Mariggle puzzle. We will collect feedback for a few weeks (at least until January 4th). Note that a sequel of sorts, Snapper , is also available for testing. Please try them both before commenting.

Play now!

Please try to share your thoughts on these areas:

* How easy was it to learn to play?
* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)
* Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun?
* Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle?
* Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?
* Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun?
* What is your favorite part of the game?
* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?

Please concentrate on whether the game is fun to play, and not on the quality of graphics, animations, sounds, etc. If this game is chosen for YPP, we will add all that.

Note that this is an unfinished prototype and may not fully reflect the final design of the puzzle.

Do not post suggestions for improvement to this thread. Those should go here instead.

Thread now open!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by CraftingProj at Dec 22, 2008 10:35:03 AM]
[Dec 2, 2008 8:29:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
puppy1254170

Re: Round 3 Feedback for Mariggle - now open!

For me, a little hard.
What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)
Somewhere in the middle
I guess it could be for some, but for me it just wasn't
I don't see how it would, so no.
* Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?
just about right, it doesn't take long.
I didn't have favorite settings, really.
I didn't have a favorite part.
* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?
I don't see how, so I would say no.

Missjessica of Sage

This feedback is not intended in any way to upset the creator
Missjessica on Sage Emerald

Starting back up from square one. *Sigh*
[Dec 22, 2008 8:51:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sara_Sparrow

After playing the Snapper one, it was easy to catch on to.

* What is the addiction factor?
I had to force myself to play.

I didn't really think so.

It'd be a stretch.

Too long.

Not really any of them.

Don't really have one.

I'm sure it could.
Sarahsparrow of Cerulean
Captain of Barnacle for Brains
Lady of Riot

[Dec 22, 2008 9:31:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
camelama

Not easy at all for me, the words just didn't make sense with what I was presented with.
* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)
No addiction factor. Had to force myself.

No.

Not for me.

Too long, but I wasn't having fun, so maybe it's fine for others.

Didn't really find any fun settings/level.

Didn't really have one.

* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players? I guess so, not really sure.
"Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving!"
-Auntie Mame
[Dec 22, 2008 10:12:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Discojack

I found it harder then snapper because of the limitation on what the player as to acheive, I also needed to check up on constantly on what shapes i had to make which wasn't easy to remember.

What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)
The will to acheive the more complex shapes had me try a few times but the lack of a way to clear the unused peices killed my interest fast.

Like Snapper it needs more zaz in terms of special tokens, diversity of peices and combos but trying to get those intricate shapes correct was certainly enterntaining.

It fits furniture making perfectly, in fact too perfectly, I don't see it working because it would imply all furniture peices are made of crates and tables which is too inacurate to be beleivable.

Feels just about right for a crafting puzzle if the effort is put into it to acheive the high scoring peices.

There really weren't any difficulty settings besides the frequency of each peices which I didn't find was a good way to gauge difficulty because it limits what the player can do too much.

I liked the idea of stacking peices to make complex constructions.

Some sort of potential but it really needs more sort of combos in order to have difficulty settings and all that good stuff. But I could see it yes.
When God gives you lemons
Find a new God!

Viprince
[Dec 22, 2008 11:07:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Loren_S

This one is hard to judge as it still is a very raw prototype.

Quite easy

The current prototype is not very appealing. Be it due to a lack of list of availiable shapes, or so far unbalanced piecefrequency.
But I see potential here

Not yet now. But as it is similar to sf I can imagine it to develop.

yes

about 5 min. It felt to long, but its mainly due to missing motivation in the current setup.

I did not find suitable settings yet.

building combos

Very likely. I think there is a lot of potential in the concept. (But it is the concept of swordfight, so not realy new)
CoatOSilver, Captain of Forget About It, Retired King of ©©©, Sage
[Dec 23, 2008 12:24:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmberLeo

Learning the basic mechanisms was easy. Having to memorize the exact shapes because there is no other way to score was hard.

* What is the addiction factor?
None. I could never finish a game, I either got so frustrated with it, or filled the board because there's no way to recover from mistakes.

I keep thinking it *should* be. The basic concept is great, but I can't get through this execution enough to be sure.

Sort of - I feel like I'm building model furniture out of toothpics rather than real furniture parts, but I suspect that could be fixed in the art.

At the very least, some settings that involve all the pieces possible.

The concept itself. It reminds me of the kind of toothpick puzzles or tangrams that I love.

I definitely never got that good. I have to assume it would indeed be challenging on the way, but there really needs to be some kind of mistake-forgiveness implemented for it to work in a Puzzle Pirates setting.

--Ember--
Furnishing Project - Gilthead
Proposal: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/GCPP:Proposal-Gilthead
Thread: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=97545
Prototype: http://albert.best.vwh.net/gilthead/GiltHead.html
[Dec 23, 2008 12:54:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kaoma

hard, I really had problems to find the page where is written what I have to do
none for me had to force myself
no
not very much
feels too long
I had no fun with this
I had none
you have to remember the shapes and the rest is luck for me, so no
Orchidee, on Cerulean and all other oceans

Don't call me Orc! I'm a flower not a beast
[Dec 23, 2008 2:26:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Luvessy

I tried playing without reading instructions, and it was quite difficult and unintuitive to figure out the goal. After reading the instructions and understanding what parts had to fit together, the gameplay idea was easy.

Not very addictive for me. A bit dull.

On the most basic level (just corners), the game is too easy and dull. It is also frustrating to make one mistake and then be unable to correct for it later. (I tried to build too large a combo and had a piece wrong.)

Tempo-wise, it does, although 20 completed pieces is probably too long. I can understand that it is trying to build furniture, so that makes some sense.

Because of being frustrated by the dullness of building only crates or the "stuckness" of making an irreversible mistake, it feels too long.

Trying to build combos.

It could, particularly if the frequency values changed behind the scenes and for difficulty levels. A cross-between the 3/4/5 pieces of shipwright and the frequency of pieces in carpentry.
--Mistymate

(Avatar by Sancha.)
[Dec 24, 2008 2:10:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Arnora

I got the hang of it pretty quickly. It was annoying to have to keep looking up the different pieces of furniture you can build though. Maybe you could put in little diagrams on the side of the board as a reminder?

relatively low, but that might be because of the graphics.

Not really, but again part of that is because of the graphics. I think it has the potential to be a lot more fun. It would also be less frustrating if you could work in some way to make it more forgiving of mistakes. Like a way of clearing a misplaced piece. Or joker pieces that could be substituted for all of the other pieces. The wikipedia implies that clearing pieces are supposed to be available but they don't seem to be in the current version.

Yes

It feels quite long because it's not really fun. Especially since you're wasting time going back and forth to the wiki to check the shapes you can make. 20 pieces is probably too much even once that's fixed.

An intermediate difficulty. The lowest ones were too boringly easy and in the highest ones I'd booch because I couldn't get the right pieces and there's not any way to get rid of pieces you've misplaced

That you're building actual pieces of furniture, unlike in a lot of the other proposed puzzles.

Since you can try and build bigger and bigger combos it could probably stay challenging. Not to mention the constant risk of booching because you've made an uncorrectable mistake in the higher levels.
Arnora on all Green oceans, but mainly Viridian

SO of Die By The Sword
Princess of Post Mortem
[Dec 24, 2008 6:08:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Grurmio

Actually easy cause I've already played the other games that seem like this one, the problem is that I just don't know what are the complex figures I can do.

Nope, i think there was no addiction factor since I can cover a way to fill spaces and get those points in easy game, but it is the same thing. In harder levels I just can't do nothing, but yet it still the same.

Actually, i think it was fun even if I booched, the problem is that is just the same stuff always.

May work. But I think it need to tells what are those furniture stuff we can make in harder levels.

Well, in 5 minutes or less you can finnish the level 1, the other ones I just can't play. In this case it's ok cause it would be boring if that's the whole game, good it's for new players.

The level 1, which I can actually score points.

When I booch it!

Probably yes, but as it is now I think everyone will soon be bored to score good.
[Dec 25, 2008 6:39:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://gongo.my-place.us/ [Link]  Go to top 
kittycool

As I played Snapper first, it took me no time at all. If I hadn't, it would have taken me a while probably.

It wasn't addicting at all.

No.

It could work with furnishing I guess.

Just about right.

I didn't have any.

Making combos I guess.

Yes.
Kittyocool on Hunter
[Dec 26, 2008 9:33:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Anneogram

* How easy was it to learn to play? Need to have shapes to make visible on the screen. Once you know what to do it is fairly easy to play (but not easy to accomplish)
* What is the addiction factor? Low, without been able to see what pieces will be coming in the next few turns, it seemed too random when you have to create specific shapes
* Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun? No for the reason given above
* Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle? Yes the analogy is good
* Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun? Didnt find fun in current format
* What is your favorite part of the game? I think the analogy is good, need to preview pieces to come to be better prepared to play as a skillful game
* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players? dont know
[Dec 26, 2008 2:04:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randompanzy

kinda hard, but just adding instructions can fix that

force myself to play it :(

not for me really i was lost :s

no.

about right

didnt enjoy the puzzle so no favorite setting

didnt enjoy the puzzle so no favorite part

no i dont know how it possable could :s
Randompanzy on every ocean mainly Viridian
SO of Puzzling Privateers
Royal of Imperial Madness

Tranquilized says, u kno yer notorious for lagging? xD

Donsmythe wrote: Welcome to Yohoho Puzzle Pirates Vista

[Edit 1 times, last edit by randompanzy at Dec 28, 2008 8:25:40 AM]
[Dec 28, 2008 8:25:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.teamepsilon.net    phillip1904    GB Fayt    I'm a little kitty that goes MOO! :D [Link]  Go to top 
Yarrie5

* How easy was it to learn to play?The game was quite easy, which i find a good thing.

* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)I would play it if theres nothing else to do.

* Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun?Well it's fun but not that much so I play it every minute.

* Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle?I think it does a bit.

* Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?About right.

* Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun?They were all similar so all of them the same.

* What is your favorite part of the game?There is not favourite part.

* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?I'm sure it would.
Yarrie On cobalt

Call me yaz!
[Dec 29, 2008 12:48:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Perlandria

Mouse movement was easy. Changing piece generation was easy. Figuring out what patterns would actually clear? I still don't have that.

I do not addict to Tetris. I am OK at it (see Sailing stat) but things falling down and disappearing is not an addicting thing for me. I understand it gets LOTS of other people though.

No, it is frustrating to only have some shapes clear and not other rectangles. And there isn't a shape guide on the prototype page.

Absolutely. Lots of things have boxy outlines.

My frustration over what enclosed regular rectangles would and would not clear made it so I rarely finished a game. I have no idea.

No +, there is no way to recover from starting with a + in Mariggle.

The way the score goes negative if you mess around.

Yes.
Furnishing Puzzle Project:
Discussion: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=97545
Prototype: http://albert.best.vwh.net/gilthead/GiltHead.html
Proposal: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/GCPP:Proposal-Gilthead
[Dec 29, 2008 1:33:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Irig    Perlandria [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Yes it was easy to learn to play. The concept of the game is simple and it is not hard to get the hang of it.
It is not addictive at all.
When it decides to give you the right pieces, yes. heh.
Yes it does.
Too long. Twenty clears takes a lot of time.
The one with half of the pieces. Having just the simpler piece was boring, all of them was a nightmare.
Making sure you don't booch it.
No.
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Dec 29, 2008 2:34:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Happyharlot

This was the only puzzle that wouldn't let me play. This happened with some of the others, but seems to be fixed on those. Any suggestions?
Cheers,
Happyharlot
Viridian and Ocean Wide, (Nanncy on Hunter)
Make a Playlist to Share with Your Fellow Pirates :)

[Dec 29, 2008 3:58:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sharktailz

* How easy was it to learn to play? Very easy, actually. I caught on to the concept swiftly. I have to admit, I was a bit shaky at first, but after a minute or so of trying to get the hang of it I did.
* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle): Not so addicting for me. I can't see myself playing this hours on end like I can with some of the other designs in this project. I had to force myself a bit to make sure the job was done, which was saddening to me. It is a great concept, it really is, but it definitely needs a bit of an upgrade.
* Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun? All addiction factors aside, I feel that it is. Not completely thrilling, but yes, fun. Adding a bit more complexity would definitely broaden my excitement.
* Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle? I can see this puzzle more as a piracy puzzle more than a crafting puzzle. There isn't much thought to it. It's quick, easy to do; it would fit in very nicely with the current piracy puzzles.
* Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right? The time it takes to clear 20 blocks a little too excessive. It was very frustrating having to clear that many sections. It is fine when it is far into the puzzle, but as a start-off it just does not work. 5-10 would be a good start, perhaps growing more and more as the game gets more difficult.
* Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun? I really enjoyed setting all the tile frequencies at a ratio of "2" or more (keeping them all even). It was really fun!
* What is your favorite part of the game? That's very difficult to say. At the moment I do not have an answer for this question.
* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players? No, it does not. There really isn't much to it. It's very basic and simple. Unless the difficulty is changed, the puzzle will not provide a challenge to those players on an "Ultimate" level.
Sharktail, Sage. Avatar by Phillite!

Laptop done broked'd! PM me if you need anything.
[Dec 29, 2008 5:38:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://twitter.com/SharktailYPP [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

This was the only puzzle that wouldn't let me play. This happened with some of the others, but seems to be fixed on those. Any suggestions?

Is there an error message that shows up in the status bar? If so, could you please post it here?
Tanonev on all oceans; currently exploring Meridian.
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Dec 29, 2008 6:20:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
Happyharlot

Is there an error message that shows up in the status bar? If so, could you please post it here?

No, error message, there is just a black outlined box where the puzzle should be and a tiny red x in the upper left corner of the box which I did try to right click but didn't show the game or anything. It is a blank white page with the blue links to the forums above the box.
Cheers,
Happyharlot

[Dec 29, 2008 7:00:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

I'm guessing you have Java 5 instead of Java 6. I've uploaded a Java 5 version instead; please retry the puzzle (you may have to exit your browser and/or clear your cache).
Tanonev on all oceans; currently exploring Meridian.
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Dec 29, 2008 7:18:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

Once I went to the wiki proposal page, it was easy to pick up

For me, there was no addiction factor. I played it, but it isn't an idea that would keep me coming back.

It was fun at first, but then I didn't find it truly challenging.

It does.

It felt about right to me.

I'm not sure I could point to one thing that stood out.

* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?What I found difficult was memorizing the shapes to make. Once I did that, I didn't feel it was difficult enough for ult level puzzlers.
Jolyma

[Dec 29, 2008 8:41:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Happyharlot

It worked Thanks!

Pretty easy.

I think was normal amount, not keeping me up till 4 am, but would play it again.

Yes it was fun.

Definitely, I really liked that about this one that the different shapes look like the items being built. I would definintely have pictures of the items you are supposed to make next to the actual game though, at least for begginers. I had to copy them down to play the puzzle.

Felt like a good amount of time.

Well, first when it only droped the one shape, was not as much fun, more shapes were better.

see analogy question

Yes.
Cheers,
Happyharlot

[Dec 29, 2008 9:34:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ppplushies

Yes it was easy to learn to play. The idea and concept was kept very simple, making it easier to understand.

I don't find it very addictive, and I forced myself to play it a couple times in order to full understand it.

When you get some nice pieces, and the game plays nice, yes.

Yes it does.

It takes too long. If you dropped it down to 15 clears or maybe even 10, it would make the game be much more fun.

The lowest level. I kind of just got bored, and tried to find good strategies.

None of it was really fun. But once I forced myself to try and think of strategies, it got a little better.

No.
Kadazzle
[Dec 29, 2008 10:04:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CurlyKidd

I thought this was very easy to pick up. A lack of presets made it hard to try and test the higher levels however. I thought it was too easy and not very addictive or fun, sadly. I'm not sure about the analogy. Perhaps this is going too literal (you're making a chest or a crate or a ...) and that's why? Time-wise, this seemed a bit tedious at the low level where you just get crates, but I think it's OK otherwise. I wanted to like it when I read the "you're making a crate or a chair or a ..." but after trying, no, it just wasn't the fun I wanted.
[Dec 30, 2008 9:36:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    tr1265 [Link]  Go to top 
tahiral

It was easy to grasp the game
Somewhere in the middle
It wasnt somthing i would play contiously like the other puzzles
I don't see how it would, so no.
just about right, it doesn't take long.
I didn't have favorite settings, really.
I didn't have a favorite part it was kinda dull
No it wouldnt cause its the same patterns
If i Forget to mention:

Pirate : Ddevil
Ocean : Sage

find me on the game if u wana sell
[Dec 30, 2008 2:33:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
perfectteen

How easy was it to learn to play?

Simple in the beginning.

I didn't like playing this at all.

Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun?

I got bored before the first minute passed.

Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle?

I don't really see the analogy. Making simple shapes doesn't seem like much of a furnishing puzzle.

Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?

I couldn't finish the game because of the lack of interest I had in it.

Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun?

To be honest, none of them.

What is your favorite part of the game?

The pieces dropping down reminded me of Tetris, so that was interesting.

If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?

Probably - depends on what they have to do in the advanced levels of the puzzle.

Nemesis broadcasts,

"The skellies are on the move. All hail Nemesis."

[Edit 1 times, last edit by perfectteen at Dec 30, 2008 4:42:33 PM]
[Dec 30, 2008 4:42:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ellopoppet

Just like tetris so not too bad.

It was ok, once graphics and such are added in I am sure it'll be better. Nothing to look at atm.

It was ok, but nothing I would run back too.

No, but again graphics are everything.

About right, though I never finish with a high score.

I didn't have favorite settings to say.

Blowing up the boxes.

I never did that great but it's just like tetris and that game becomes very hard the higher up to you. So yes I think it would be hard enough for ults.
~Athens~ Hunter

Want to know who makes my avatars?
[Jan 1, 2009 5:12:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
antisilence

Very easy.

I had to force myself.

I'm sorry, really did not find it fun at all.

I can't see it.

Too long.

N/A

I can't see it being challenging.
Aeval - Malachite
Linnyani - Hunter (back and kicking bottom)

Piplicus says, "I heard whenever Emerson sings, all cats and dogs die anyway

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/SchwaWarrior/YPP/Card_Linnyani.png
[Jan 2, 2009 8:50:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 41   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates