• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 71
Posts: 71   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 15517 times and has 70 replies Next Thread
CraftingProj

Round 3 Feedback for Loosejaw - now open!

This thread is for feedback on the GCPP Loosejaw puzzle. We will collect feedback for a few weeks (at least until January 4th).

How to Play

Play now!

Please try to share your thoughts on these areas:

* How easy was it to learn to play?
* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)
* Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun?
* Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle?
* Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?
* Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun?
* What is your favorite part of the game?
* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?

Please concentrate on whether the game is fun to play, and not on the quality of graphics, animations, sounds, etc. If this game is chosen for YPP, we will add all that.

Do not post suggestions for improvement to this thread. Those should go here instead.

Thread is open for feedback.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 3 times, last edit by CraftingProj at Dec 15, 2008 4:21:39 AM]
[Nov 30, 2008 1:31:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gaia214

Re: Round 3 Feedback for Losejaw - now open!

* How easy was it to learn to play? I found it very easy
* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)I found it fairly boring, no offense to the makers.
* Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun?Again not really =(
* Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle? It would work, well i would think it wouldXD
* Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right? first game took me around 15 minutes then my others were around 10 minutes, I find this too long
* Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun? Any thing with a fast speed
* What is your favorite part of the game? None
* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players? I think at first it will but then it will, but will get easy after.

I give the game a 5/10- Only because my little sister enjoyed it
mroddx On malachite
[Edit 1 times, last edit by gaia214 at Dec 8, 2008 12:09:11 PM]
[Dec 8, 2008 12:06:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Yes. I've played this specific one for quite some time and I like it. I think this one really focuses on what a good crafting puzzle must be: efficiency while being fast: The orders are needed to be done quick!
* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)
Somewhere in the middle. I enjoy the game a *lot* so I can easily play and play and play nonstop, but when I need to stop playing I can just quit without thinking "just 5 more minutes!"
Oh yes, it is fun. the fact that there are bigger pieces, smaller pieces, and how will I move it, here and there, Oh no it got stuck! etc.etc makes it very enjoyable
Yes, See above.
* Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?
I feel it is fine. You can go on without being burnt or just getting bored and the amount is long enough for you to enjoy it.
All of them, but the least colors with a faster.... spawn thing was way more fun than more colors with a lower speed.
The strategy part on how to make every piece of the board being able to be cleared. I find this game to be great. I love it.
* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?
If the ultimate level will being a faster spawn with more colors, yes definitively hard but not challenging enough. It is just a matter of get a hang on the game, then every piece will fall in their place... literally.
Quitex, everywhere.

Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Dec 8, 2008 12:29:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
puppy1254170

It was fairly easy, and it helped to have clear instructions along with the game.
After I got the hang of it, I was tempted to keep playing. In no way did I have to force myself to keep on going.
I thought it was enjoyable.
I would say it does.
It took me about 10 minutes to finish the 25 pieces, which is kind of alright, but almost too long.
I found the medium speed to be fun, the high speed was challenging and the slow was just pointless waiting for the belt to move. For the colors, I liked having 4 of them. As for teh furniture size, I prefered 5 or 4.
I liked the challenge of having to clear the pieces out with all the other extras in the way.
I would think more colors at a higher speed would be the challenge.

-Missjessica on sage.
Missjessica on Sage Emerald

Starting back up from square one. *Sigh*
[Dec 8, 2008 1:10:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cardea

* How easy was it to learn to play? Very easy to learn

* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle) I didn't feel an addiction building, I actually started getting bored.

* Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun? Not nearly as fun as some of the other games. I thought this would be a step-up from carpentry, and I'm disappointed that it isn't.

* Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle? I guess. Maybe it would have been more fun to form certain shapes with the blocks.

* Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right? I like to spend 10-15 min on a puzzle. I think this game takes too long.

* Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun? I had the most fun with the conveyor belt at the highest setting.

* What is your favorite part of the game? Keeping pace with the speed of the game.

* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players? I didn't find it very challenging.
~ Cardea of Hunter ~
[Dec 8, 2008 1:53:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
aaapatti

This is a good idea was well designed. However, it does lack excitement.....It may need to be tweeked somehow with dangers or something. Mebee if you had to design certain patterns or something...this could go even as far as having to design the patterns of the particular furniture order you are filling.

----It was very easy....almost too easy

----I dont know how addicted I would get to it without it having
modifications done first.

-----It could be fun...it just needs more excitement or features.

----Yes

-----It didnt take too long. It feels about right if I am relating
the length of time to the crafting puzzles we already have.

----- I didnt experiment with too many different settings, but I
the conveyor speed for me would have to be fairy fast for
it to be a challenge.

----I like the concept.

----Although I think it might be a little redundant & boring, I
suppose if it were set on the highest settings, it could
provide enough of a challenge.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by aaapatti at Dec 8, 2008 2:07:21 PM]
[Dec 8, 2008 1:56:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
spinbad

It was pretty easy. It took a couple of tries to figure out what to do with the special (upholstery) pieces as well as how to make double/triples ect.
* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle) I think it is very addicting. The conveyor speed gives you that Oh Barnacle factor that makes you feel the pressure when you want to slide that last piece in for a bigger combo.
Very much so. Spatial thinkers are going to have a blast with this.
Hammering pieces together to get a piece of furniture...doesn't get much more straight forward than that.
About right. I like having the conveyor there to keep the game moving along.
The 5 color just above middle speed was a blast. I will probably edge it up more the next time just to see if I can keep up.
Trying to get that last stack wedged in so it would fall just right and make a huge combo.
Definitely.
A Nefarious Miscreant
It's not an Avatar, it's an AvaTart
Truvie wrote: 
Just remember...Ignorance can be cured with education. Stupid is forever!

[Dec 8, 2008 2:11:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
anithradia

It was very easy. Even the upholstery pieces, which weren't mentioned in the instructions, as I recall, were very straightforward.

Somewhere in the middle, for me. I could definitely play it a lot more.

I enjoyed it. I appreciated how different it was from all of the other puzzles in the game

I think it was appropriate. I wish there were some less horizontal pieces, though.

It took me about eight minutes per game. I wish it took a bit less time. Though I also spent quite a while staring at the pieces on the conveyor belt wishing them to move.

I only played it on the lowest level

I liked stacking things up really high and then breaking them so I didn't have to start my hammering with all pieces aligned.

I think so. If the different ways to play were added on, as in normal games, as time went on (faster conveyor built, more pieces to make furniture, etc.), it definitely would.
Vess on Sage
SO of the Mystical Shadows
Lady of Fearless Privateers
[Dec 8, 2008 2:39:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
perfectteen

How easy was it to learn to play?
I usually don't read the rules for a game before I play so that would explain why I was somewhat confused as to why anything less than 5 pieces wouldn't connect as a combo.
What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)
I didn't like this game at first, but when I finally understood it I actually liked it a lot - I kept coming back to play it and was actually thinking about his game during one of my exams.
Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun?
Yes. With the time it takes to finish, it flies by pretty fast because of how enjoyable it is.
Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle?
It would fit in the time frame that a 'labour hour' would be and it also fits the act of furnishing well.
Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?
It takes me about 7 minutes to finish a game, but I think it's fine. Alchemy takes longer and I enjoy that - as long as the puzzle is enjoyable, clocking in at under 10 minutes is great.
Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun?
I liked playing with most of the pieces and slightly faster than usual so I could move and think faster.
What is your favorite part of the game?
I like sliding the pieces and putting them where I want them as well as hammering away with my mallet as quickly as I could when my puzzle started getting blocked up.
If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?
With the faster piece droppings as well as the variety of pieces there are, making it to Ult would prove slightly challenging.

Nemesis broadcasts,

"The skellies are on the move. All hail Nemesis."

[Edit 1 times, last edit by perfectteen at Dec 8, 2008 4:04:23 PM]
[Dec 8, 2008 4:03:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bootyboo2

very easy

For me it was like any other puzzle - I kept playing it over and over to try to figure it out and get better at it - I think I'd get bored with it once I got to gm or leg, though.

it's okay

yes, absolutely

took me an average of 10 minutes - it seemed about right.

the only factor that really threw me off was speed - upping colors or number of pieces didn't really provide a challenge, but when I upped the speed, I had real trouble and enjoyed it more.

trying to beat the clock

eventually I think you'd top out on it - similar to shipbuilding or foraging - once you figure out what is needed it sort of loses it's charm.
Bootyboo
Midnight

Real men wear kilts!
[Dec 8, 2008 4:10:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ajc128

Alexc from the hunter ocean.

It was very easy.
Its fun but not addicting.
Yes.
Yes.
I finished at 8 minutes the 3 times i played so its alittle long.
5 colors at about medium speeds.
The simpleness it's very easy and fun.
* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?O YA!Six or seven colors at a fast rate comeing out and falling would be a challange.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ajc128 at Dec 9, 2008 4:46:12 AM]
[Dec 8, 2008 5:12:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sara_Sparrow

After a couple read-throughs of the directions, pretty easy.

* What is the addiction factor?
I found it rather addicting.

I think so.

Very much so.

* Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game?
It could stand to be shorter.

Not quite sure.

The game overall.

It could be.
Sarahsparrow of Cerulean
Captain of Barnacle for Brains
Lady of Riot

[Dec 8, 2008 5:43:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sharktailz

* How easy was it to learn to play? Swiftly easy. I caught on almost immediately after the beginning of gameplay, even without reading the instructions.
* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)? I found it very addicting. In fact, I had to almost pull myself away from the puzzle to pay attention to the tournament that had just begun. I can see myself playing this frequently if implemented :)
* Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun? Oh, yes!
* Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle? It fits flawlessly.
* Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right? Each game on its default settings takes me about 8 or 9 minutes. Although I wouldn't mind to see it shortened a pinch, I also wouldn't hate to see it not tweaked at all. I am satisfied.
* Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun? I love a challenge at a quick pace, so I most enjoy tuning the settings to six colors and altering the conveyor speed anywhere from 0.5-1.0.
* What is your favorite part of the game? Besides the entire concept, the hammer. I adore the way you can build and build your pieces and combos until you decide to hammer them up and finish the job.
* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players? Yes. I find attempting to hammer large combos away while new pieces continue to drop incredibly difficult, and with a bit more intensity added on to this it could definitely be a great challenge to pirates on an "Ultimate" level.
Sharktail, Sage. Avatar by Phillite!

Laptop done broked'd! PM me if you need anything.
[Dec 8, 2008 6:40:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://twitter.com/SharktailYPP [Link]  Go to top 
Baseballchck

This puzzle was really easy to learn. I liked it.

What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do?
I thought it was fairly addictive, I did want to play again when I was done.

I would/will play this puzzle again. It was fun.

Yeah, it works well for a furnishing stall.

Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?
It took me about 4 minutes to complete, not too long, not too short.

The lowest setting, because it made it easier for large combos.

I like that it is fairly simple to play.

If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?
I think so, because the belt could move faster and there could be more colors, which would make combos a bit harder, and scoring a bit harder.
Meyissa, Senior Officer and Ambassador of the crew The Professionals on the Viridian Ocean

Lady of the flag Riddlemakers!

Married to Ghostpyrate
[Dec 8, 2008 7:21:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mmphotographyweb.com [Link]  Go to top 
Perlandria

Yup! Super easy. The only quibble is having to reach for the hammer.
Somewhere in the middle. The annoyance from having to reach for the hammer, and the stickiness to my mouse movement when the piece is highlighted green (why green!?) was destroying my mellow.
I was way too frustrated by a piece I didn't notice was still *&^&^%&^%$&^*(*&*&^%&%$ highlighted moving and dropping down a hole to have fun.
Pretty good. It has a solid dimensionality that I like.
Bless whoever coded the timer in. They were 5 minute games, even with me swearing. and the timing felt good.
4 Colors, 6 pieces. That the bonus pieces are small and can be wedged in anywhere and used to bridge areas or give flexibility is more important with larger groups.
I don't have a favorite part.
I don't know.

Edit in to add: I would have to put the hammer back to reset it. It was sometimes hard to see what I had selected. And it was annoying to have to rehammer every selection to turn it off. In the long run, I can see having fine control over what group I clear is good, but when I can't SEE to stop a group I am working on and quickly clear the group the conveyor just dropped on me it breaks being addicted. I wish hitting the first piece again cleared the whole selection, which would still let me change my mind on which way to go on my 4th piece.
Edit in to add: Did I just see a HWFO as a scoring display after a bunch of Vegas, or do I need to lay off the lemonade? 'Cus if so, Heeeeeeeee!
Furnishing Puzzle Project:
Discussion: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=97545
Prototype: http://albert.best.vwh.net/gilthead/GiltHead.html
Proposal: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/GCPP:Proposal-Gilthead
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Perlandria at Dec 8, 2008 8:52:54 PM]
[Dec 8, 2008 7:34:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Irig    Perlandria [Link]  Go to top 
ppplushies

Like usual, I went to the Y!PPedia page and looked at the instructions. After that it was pretty straight forward; move the pieces around and try to build the biggest combo possible.

For me, I believe that this game was very addicting. It seemed to me to be a mix of Carpentry and Sword Fighting, which happen to be two of my favourite puzzles! I kept playing even after I was done writing this (Well, I still am playing it) because I found it very enjoyable to play.

For me, it was fun, but I don't think many players would think it's fun or give it enough time to "get into it". Here, I can set the conveyor belt up to full speed right away, but in game my assumption is that you'd have to start off with a slow conveyor belt, which to me is boring.

Yeppers! It is very straight-forward with the goal, and the analogy works fine; you're using pieces to build furniture!

It took me around 7-12 minutes to finish a game. For me, that's the perfect time!

I played on the highest conveyor belt setting, anf tried to get as many vegas' as possible. Essentially, I found this more fun because it requires you to think and act quicky, which I love.

Building combos of course! Just like Carpentry and Swordfighting, it requires quick-thinking to build big combos to maximize your score.

Yep! All crafting puzzles are challenging, but I believe this one will be more challenging then most. I believe most people will go to slow and build too small and won't get a high rank. I believe many people have the chance to exel at this though, because it seems like a pretty simple strategy to get good at the puzzle.

Extra Comments: I love how the puzzle represents aspects of Carpentry and Swordfighting; two of the most commonly played puzzles. To me though, it seemed rather "dumbed down". Not that it was enjoyable, but I believe that it is missing a more complex aspect of the puzzle. Maybe if you had to make 5 piece shapes? I'm not sure, but it seemed rather too easy to do really well on.
Kadazzle
[Dec 8, 2008 8:46:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmberLeo

Fairly easy. I didn't really read the rules, because it's mostly self-evident how to play. It only took a moment to understand that 5 was the minimum, but I found myself confused that larger groupings weren't working. Learning what to do with the little special pieces took longer.
Just addicting enough to keep me going indefinitely if I have nothing specific to do. Not addicting enough to make me late for school ;)
Yes. I quite like this game.
I think the analogy is fine for Carpentry (obviously taken) Furnishing, or Building, yes.
I rather expected it to keep going indefinitely. It feels more like a duty puzzle to me in that sense. Otherwise I'd say it's a bit too long. I settled in for a while only to be startled when the game ended for no obvious reason.
I'll have to come back to this - I don't remember the differences at the moment.

Edited to add: Okay, I definitely like it more with more colors. It's more challenging that way.

And the default speed for the conveyor belt is just slow enough to make the game tedious (though the spacebar helps). So yeah, it's a bit twitchier, but the sense of urgency makes the game a lot more interesting, and the wild cards a lot more necessary.

I think it would be better to go for more colors than for too much speed. 4 Colors and really fast is perhaps the same level of difficult as much slower with 6 colors, but in a way that is less interesting, not more.

Still, this game does indeed get addicting when the urgency is added in.

I suppose the spacial, tetris aspect is my favorite part of this game just as it is with this game category.
My one concern is that the only way to keep this challenging is to make it more twitchy, rather than more complex. But I suppose Carpentry has the same issues and is totally addicting.

Edited to add: I do find I keep expecting different bits of upholstery to be differing kinds of wild cards. I know that's an art factor, but it seems like there should be effects other than "use this anywhere" to make things more interesting. Somebody suggested single-click to make all N around you go with, and right clicking or shift+clicking to select specific pieces when there's more options and you want to be picky.

I'm wondering if the option of having a single click where if you click on just the upholstered piece it takes the nearest N pieces with it regardless of color might be a nifty bonus? *shrugs* Just brainstorming.

It still feels more like a duty puzzle than a crafting puzzle to me, but the closest feel in a crafting puzzle is probably Distilling, not in terms of metaphor, but in terms of pacing.

--Ember--
Furnishing Project - Gilthead
Thread: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=97545
[Edit 4 times, last edit by EmberLeo at Dec 13, 2008 3:17:05 PM]
[Dec 8, 2008 10:25:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MisterTeem

- Pretty easy for the basics. Need to learn a few tricks to mouse/pointer control to distinguish between "throwing" and "placing" a piece.

It's not bad. The mouse/pointer control may annoy me enough that I won't play it as often. (I get annoyed with the distilling puzzle for similar reasons.)

Yes. It is fun. Not sure how fun it would be to get really good at it, though.

It works.

Looks like I spent about 10 min. on each attempt set to 4 colors/6 squares. It seemed a tad long. Especially because it was hard to read the indicators telling you how far along you were.

4 colors/6 squares was good. Didn't get a chance to try 5 colors. Standard speed was fine but I could see it being fun if it was set faster.

Fitting in the color pieces.

Don't know--I don't play at that level.

You didn't ask what was my least favorite part of the game. Reaching for that hammer and putting it back was annoying, especially when I missed the square it was supposed to go into ETA: Boy there should really be a keyboard shortcut for changing between moving and hammering.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by MisterTeem at Dec 9, 2008 8:14:58 AM]
[Dec 8, 2008 10:35:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shiekan

Very easy.

What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)
I don't think it's very addictive.. It gets boring after a while

Yes it's fun

I think so

It took me 6-10 minutes.. It felt a bit to long

Not sure yet

To fit the pierces together.. kinda like carp.

Well I havent playd it all that much so can't really say.
Mootsie on Sage ocean
[Dec 8, 2008 11:28:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wubbajan

- It takes some getting used to, like they say try, try again. I got it and had fun. I liked this game.

- I would probably get addicted to this, but as far as I could tell it was a bit repetitive. I didn't play it for aaaggeesss. It reminds me of tetris.

- I like being able to make the game faster and slower, the building, and of course it makes you think! =)

- Yes, you are building/crafting after all.

Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?

- Felt about right to me.

- I liked all the ones I tried.

- Playing the fastest setting and seeing how well I could do. It gets tricky. I like to make combos too.

- I'm not sure.

Wubbajan - Viridian Ocean, Kingdom of Heaven WOOT!
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Wubbajan at Dec 9, 2008 12:01:04 AM]
[Dec 8, 2008 11:41:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MrTeatime

- Game play is easy to learn and understand.

- The challenge in this puzzle is the unstoppable conveyor. With higher speed the game gets stressy.

- It's fun to play with a slow conveyor. With a fast conveyor it gets annoying.

- analogy works for assembling pieces. But I'm missing some kind of plan. A real furnisher wouldn't just hammer some pieces together. A customers wants something specific which requires certain parts.

- The first game seemed to take very long though I only took 10 minutes.

- I don't like fast games. So I prefer a slower conveyor setting. More colors is good, if you have time to plan you moves. Same with needed amount of pieces.

- Trying to place pieces so the next pieces will fall in a useful position.

- Depends on what an Ult level player expects as challenge. Just being fast can be challenging, but not every player likes this kind of challenge.
Eldrick auf Opal
Leitender Offizier (Senior Officer) der Ghosts of Darkness
Priester des dunklen Lords El Pollo
[Dec 9, 2008 8:02:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    mrteatime2001    JonathanTeatime    22517701 [Link]  Go to top 
Gawynn

Details: Played for about 30-40 minutes; about half on the default settings and then on a variety of settings. Don't remember my highest score, but I believe it involved two vegas+ chains on the 5 colour, 6-piece version.

Rules: Straight forward

UI: Fairly simple, except for the details of dragging the blocks. Figuring out that you could drag a block "over" a gap was a bit odd.

Strategy: Again, nothing too complex. Figuring out how to stack blocks and eliminate pieces so that other blocks rejoined took a little work, but not really taxing.

* What is the addiction factor?

Moderate. It flows ok, and it feels like there's ok room for improvement (on my part) at each step, but it feels a bit too fidgety... it's paced like Distilling, but without the smoothness. Didn't have to force myself to play it, but I'd probably play other crafts instead much of the time.

The addiction factor would strongly benefit from an "Automatically select the nearest X connected blocks" option; the finicky clicking on all the appropriate boxes doesn't really add anything in most cases, and is a significant drawback. Allowing "Shift-Clicking" on specific blocks when you want to control the collapse would be a better approach.

Reasonably fun, but not great. At lower difficulties (5 piece furniture) it's too easy... at higher levels, it gets more challenging but somehow doesn't feel more rewarding.

Yes, in that sense it's excellent.

5-10 minutes. Feels about right.

5 colours, 6 piece combos was about the right level... 7 piece combos were extremely difficult to stay ahead of, and more than 5 colours got too crowded too quickly. 4c/6p felt like a good beginner/intro level.

Getting longer chains usually required coalescing disparate groups of pieces from multiple colours, which was good fun.

Possibly, but I don't know if there's a level difficulty which is hard enough for Ult players without being too hard. The puzzle settings really felt like they had an exponential difficulty increase... tuning it for very-difficult-but-expert challenge may prove impossible.

Summary: Solid, but not great. Very original in some senses (theme), but also feels like a repeat in some others (tempo, strategy). I did like how the aesthetic is similar to Carpentry while being a very different puzzle.
[Dec 9, 2008 9:39:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
planetllou

It took a few minutes to get the jist of how things work.

You get absorbed but it wasnt as gripping as other puzzles.
The game was uncontinuous and tedious at times.

I dont know what you mean by analogy in this context.

11mins which is way to long,I like games to be quick and snappy,Like the other crafting puzzles.

I played around with them, I just find not much could make this game fun and attractive.

To be honest none of it,it was dull and boring due to the fact the movement of peices was limited.

I couldnt say as I have never been good at any puzzles.
Musclepunch,
Scowling on hunter,
Frowning on sage,
Trying to get past the ch*at f i *lter o..n c@rimmson.

Depressed noob, suckish stats but a weavery shop and some WFs :D
[Edit 1 times, last edit by planetllou at Dec 9, 2008 10:52:53 AM]
[Dec 9, 2008 10:50:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Trevorius

Very easy.

There's no real urge to play again, because I feel like I've seen everything the game has to offer. I had to force myself to play a few more times at different settings, because it didn't feel like it would be any more interesting.

From 1 (it's work) to 10 (I'll miss an entire day and not realize) I give it a 5. It's not bad, but I don't get a zing out of it either.

Definitely. The theme is very builder-ish without losing the puzzle.

Between 5-10 minutes, depending on the speed and that feels about right.

6 colors, medium speed, size 3 was fast-paced without being overwhelming. Bigger size with slower speed made it more strategic, but it got a bit boring.

Sliding the pieces around. It's very smooth and intuitive, and I felt like I could "fling" the pieces around the board, which was fun.

Possibly, but only due to the twitch factor. The game itself doesn't really change. My personal preference is for the crafting puzzles to be more slow-paced and mental, but this puzzle doesn't really lend itself to that beyond the basic strategy.
Trevorius - Mostly retired, now with more inn-tart!
Cobalt Cerulean Ocean
Mostly lurking since 5/15/04
[Dec 9, 2008 11:14:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://raiders.tbobjohnson.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Iceweb6

I really liked this game.
[Dec 9, 2008 11:19:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Iceweb6

this game was easy to learn and fun!! Good puzzle!!!
[Dec 9, 2008 11:20:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HotDawgJCJ

This is pretty fun. I wasn't able to figure out what to do with the upholstery pieces, but enjoyed the rest of the puzzle.
[Dec 9, 2008 11:50:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Perlandria

This is pretty fun. I wasn't able to figure out what to do with the upholstery pieces, but enjoyed the rest of the puzzle.

They are a wildcard. You can add them to anything. A little like the gold pieces in Shipwrightery.
It is more fun with the upholstry. Try again?
Furnishing Puzzle Project:
Discussion: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=97545
[Dec 9, 2008 11:53:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Irig    Perlandria [Link]  Go to top 
Ynahteb

Trivially easy.

After forcing myself to play it many times to get my orders finished I could probably become addicted to it. Was definitely not initially addicted however. I found the first try with the factory settings painfully dull. Once I sped it up and added more colors it was somewhat more entertaining, but not really addicting.

Same as above really, I don't find it all that enjoyable, it doesn't really require any thought whatsoever, but I could see it being addicting after a while

Definitely crafty, not sure how puzzly. It's not really clear how scoring is based, but it seems to be more of a click-quickly game, than a think-it-through puzzle.

First run was 8-9 minutes, which seemed painfully long because the pieces were moving so slowly and most of the time all I was doing was waiting for them to drop. I don't know if this was just my imagination, but it seemed like at the beginning of the level the pieces would come really quickly and then sort of even out to whatever pace it was set at. I feel like if anything it would make more sense for it to act opposite to that. Start out slowly and gradually increase in speed as you get into it. Once I sped up my pieces games were more like 5 minutes, which was a decent amount of time to keep me from getting too bored.

6 colors, size 4, little faster than average speed.

It's completely mindless, which can be good at times.

The speed might create a challenge if it increases with rank, but I don't feel like it would ever be very stimulating on a deeper level than that.
Squee!
[Dec 9, 2008 12:40:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ellopoppet

Hoya, I just tried out your game and the largest issue I has was grabbing the hammer and highlighting the pieces. I am on a laptop with a touch pad. I used the right click to move the pieces, why can't the left click just auto grab the hammer? It would be much faster than moving up on the touch pad to grab it then having to return it afterwards.

* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do?

I loved the idea, but trying to grab and return the hammer in a rush made it unplayable for me after three or so tries.

Yes, very.

Almost, some of the pieces need to changed to other items than just wood given how broad a furnishers is.

Feels about right to me, but I dislike large long drawn out puzzles.

I only played it at default and like it there.

It's not the blige puzzle re-worked!
~Athens~ Hunter

Want to know who makes my avatars?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ellopoppet at Dec 9, 2008 3:42:09 PM]
[Dec 9, 2008 3:35:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 71   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates