• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 74
Posts: 74   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 18508 times and has 73 replies Next Thread
CraftingProj

Round 3 Feedback for Fredi - now open!

This thread is for feedback on the GCPP Fredi puzzle. We will collect feedback for a few weeks (at least until January 4th).

Play now!

Please try to share your thoughts on these areas:

* How easy was it to learn to play?
* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)
* Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun?
* Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle?
* Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?
* Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun?
* What is your favorite part of the game?
* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?
* Was there any level that you had difficulty distinguishing colors?
** Levels 1-3 use red / yellow / orange
** 4-6 use blue / yellow / green
** 7-8 use blue / red / white/ purple / pink / light blue (8 also has light purple)
* Did you generally try to clear one pattern at a time or did you try to do multiple clears?
* Did you go for perfect matches or settle for "close enough"?

Please concentrate on whether the game is fun to play, and not on the quality of graphics, animations, sounds, etc. If this game is chosen for YPP, we will add all that.

Do not post suggestions for improvement to this thread. Those should go here instead.

Thread is open for feedback.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 5 times, last edit by CraftingProj at Dec 8, 2008 8:52:54 AM]
[Nov 30, 2008 1:23:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Re: Round 3 Feedback for Fredi - now open!

Nope. I had a hard time to get that the patters that we were trying to make were the ones in the upper side of the screen. When I understood that, then it was way easier to play.
* What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)
I guess I had to force myself to play it. Maybe just because it was hard for me to get the goal of the game. I will keep playing it for more decent feedback later.
It is definitely mentally challenging, which translates into fun for me! (a migraine as a side effect but no fun comes without pain! :D )
Yes, pretty much fills the task for a crafting puzzle: Furnishing and painting the furniture.
* Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?
In the first levels, I'd say from one to three, it is about time. In the hardest ones I feel that it takes too long to complete!
The first three levels I suppose. Being simpler patterns, I got to play with mixing paint and flipping pieces without overdoing it.
Strategy. Know what piece to plaint at what time so you don't mess up.
* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?
Oh yes, sure it will. If this game gets implemented the way it is right now, the only puzzle that would be harder than this is Distilling. Definitively a big challenge.
** 7-8 use blue / red / white/ purple / pink / light blue (8 also has light purple)

Nope, none of them.
* Did you generally try to clear one pattern at a time or did you try to do multiple clears? Two clears the most, but in the easiest levels (one two and three) I tried to do the three at the same time.
Perfect matches. Close enough only when I was DONE and my head hurt.
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Current governs Ice's Fort Royal
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Quitex at Dec 8, 2008 12:02:51 PM]
[Dec 8, 2008 11:57:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I had a hard time to get that the patters that we were trying to make were the ones in the upper side of the screen.

I have actually heard folks say this before, but I really don't know how to go about making it clearer. they are labeled as patterns on the instruction page, and when the game starts, I don't see anything else that I would think of as patterns to follow unless maybe the reference chart is confusing? Any suggestions to help clarify this would be great.

Does this example help any?

Pletoo of Sage
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Patetch at Dec 8, 2008 3:28:47 PM]
[Dec 8, 2008 1:36:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
puppy1254170

It was difficult to figure out. I had to watch the video under Images on the YPPedia to learn how to play because the written directions weren't clear enough.
I had to mostly force myself to keep playing.
Once you get the hang of it it becomes somewhat fun, but for the first 5 minutes or so it's pretty boring.
*Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle?
I guess in a way it does.
*Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?
In the first few levels, it took little time, 5 minutes tops. in the higher levels, it took a much longer time.
I don't now about fun, but easy and enjoyable I would say 1-3
I didn't like the game much, but I did enjoy the challenge it brought to think about the pieces your using.
I would say yes. It's a challenging game.

No. They were all pretty clear.
* Did you generally try to clear one pattern at a time or did you try to do multiple clears?
I would paint new patters while I waited for the otehrs to dry up.
I went for perfect matches. Close enough was for the ones which had minor mistakes but were done.

-Misjessica on Sage.

This feedback is not intended to offend the designer of the game.

Missjessica on Sage Emerald

Starting back up from square one. *Sigh*
[Dec 8, 2008 1:40:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
spinbad

It seemed pretty interesting to me on the first level. On level 2 I am having problems getting the pattern to rotate. The instructions say to press X or C for rotating and Z for flipping. The pattern lets me flip it once and then freezes while I can't get the pattern to rotate at all. I think it has a lot of potential, but I have trouble getting past the frustration of not having the controls work. If the easier levels intend to lock the patterns in and not let them rotate then please place that into the documentation. I will write back once I get through some of the upper levels.
A Nefarious Miscreant
It's not an Avatar, it's an AvaTart
Truvie wrote: 
Just remember...Ignorance can be cured with education. Stupid is forever!

[Dec 8, 2008 1:40:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
perfectteen

How easy was it to learn to play?
Somewhat easy. I didn't understand what the stencils were for at first - I just started placing the final piece continuously on the board because it worked - but after reading the rules I got it.
What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)
I kind of wanted to play it, but it wasn't very addicting - I did have to force myself to try all the levels in the end.
Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun?
I found it mostly boring and very tedious at times.
Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle?
I don't think this works very well for a crafting puzzle - it reminds me of carp but a lot longer and with more of a headache.
Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?
I found that the game took too long to play - that's not something I want from a crafting puzzle.
Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun?
The first three levels were fun to experiment with, but after that the only fun parts were mixing the colours - everything else was just annoying.
What is your favorite part of the game?
I liked using the stencils to mix the colours in the proper places, but only for the first few levels.
If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?
I think that it would be too difficult to get even a Master with the amount of time required to finish a level - no one would have enough patience to finish the later levels.
Was there any level that you had difficulty distinguishing colors?

The colours were understandable, but they could be more defined - the light colours were a bit pale and I feel that the shades should be different.
Did you generally try to clear one pattern at a time or did you try to do multiple clears?
Because of the time it takes to make a pattern (in the harder levels, anyways) I did one by one - it was too hard to do more than one.
Did you go for perfect matches or settle for "close enough"?
Close enough worked well enough for me. I found that there was a bit of a lag in the game when I tried to match the final piece over what I made causing it to capture it only in part, but I guess that'll be ironed out if this game is chosen as the final product.

Nemesis broadcasts,

"The skellies are on the move. All hail Nemesis."

[Edit 1 times, last edit by perfectteen at Dec 8, 2008 3:35:21 PM]
[Dec 8, 2008 3:34:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sara_Sparrow

It took me quite a few times going back to the directions before I was able to get anywhere.

* What is the addiction factor?
In the middle but edging toward forcing.

I wasn't having a ball, no.

Yes, but it seems like it would be more appropriate a puzzle for using the paintbrush, not making furniture.

Too long once you get past the first couple levels.

Level 3.

The patterns seem to get rather complex. It could be a challenge for those who like it.

I believe so.

I did not get to 7-8 but when orange is wet it looks a bit too much like red.

One at a time.

Easier patterns I matched, more complex I settled.
Sarahsparrow of Cerulean
Captain of Barnacle for Brains
Lady of Riot

[Dec 8, 2008 5:12:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gawynn

Details:

I played for about an hour, finishing one puzzle on each of levels 1-4, then skipping to levels 6 (2-3 puzzles) and 8 (four puzzles). Average score in the upper levels was 90ish, top score was 104 I think.

The interface was relatively easy to learn, although there are a few significant bugs in the demo which made it seem more confusing (not relevant to the gameplay or final implementation, but they make the testing less accurate). Figuring out what merits a good score took a little longer, but wasn't bad. Figuring out the rules for when paint dries was fairly counterintuitive.

As far as gameplay goes, the logic of how to do well was too easy at the low levels, but levels 6-8 were sufficiently challenging. The puzzle is based on an old IQ test puzzle, so it's not surprising that it can be hard...

* What is the addiction factor?

Solid. Early on, it wan't really holding me.. but once I got up to levels 6+ it had some serious "Moresome" factor... I was learning tricks as I went (where to space patterns in the board to avoid the edges, which make some pieces less useful, and capitalize on "left over paint" from other patterns). I'd say 4/5 for addiction factor.

For me, yes very... but I'm a thinker-type puzzler. I love Ironworking and Alchemy for example and I'd be thrilled to see another puzzle which rewards thinking and planning. (For comparison, Distilling has a huge "twitch" factor, Shipwriting is primarily difficult because of the time constraint, and most of the shipboard games like SF, Gunning, Sailing, etc reward quick-thinking -- not that I have any problem with that, but more of a mix would be good :)

For furniture construction, no... but for painting/detailing yeah I think it's a good fit.

Low levels, a minute tops... higher levels I spent up to 20 minutes
on one puzzle. Felt about right at that level, for this kind of puzzle.

The harder the better, but 6+ were reasonably interesting. I'd be hoping for a level 9 and 10.

The mental "click" when you realize how to create a certain subpattern, or when you figure out how to connect two patterns in adjacent squares to save a stencil.

I believe so, but I'm not certain. It's tricky enough at the outset, but might become boring after a few weeks of playing. On the plus side, the patterns, colours, etc could be scaled up almost without bounds so there should be a lot of room to make it more difficult. The underlying mechanism is certainly challenging enough.

No, and I suffer from moderate red-green colourblindness. Appropriate mouseovers would solve that in any case.

After I'd played it 4-5 times to get the feel for it, FD!5 was always the goal and was usually possible.

I assumed perfect matches were required.

Overall, I'd say it's a really solid game... good fun in a novel way.
[Dec 8, 2008 5:34:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Timmel2

it was ok to play have to think abit
the addiction factor is not really there but it is fun
for a crafting puzzle i think it would be more fitting in tailors
[Dec 8, 2008 5:59:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Perlandria

I never did get the rag to work right. That I kept forgetting to lay the background color down first is my own fault. :D Mixing the wet paint is the best challenge in this.
Because the games are so short, I had to force myself. I think if it had more of a shipwrightery thing where I could get so clever I messed myself up while trying to do fill the screen and then do a bunch of clears, that would have addicted me more.
It's okay. Meh. But bear in mind this is Monday night and I am eating dinner as I do this so I think lots of things would be MEH right now.
It doesn't fail completely. I grew up with rattan, handjoined wood, lashed bamboo, solid chunks of redwood so such a surface level idea is okay, but weird.
Until about Level 5 it was too short.
Level 4, if I could make more patterns.
Stashing extra stencils on the area to get more choices. That gets confusing thought.
Absolutely.
No.
I love the multiple clears!
I tried to get as perfect as possible. I appreciate that I can get rid of a problem area with a close enough, but sometimes it messed me up because I wasn't careful with my mouse placement and I took the wrong part.
Furnishing Puzzle Project:
Discussion: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=97545
Prototype: http://albert.best.vwh.net/gilthead/GiltHead.html
Proposal: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/GCPP:Proposal-Gilthead
[Dec 8, 2008 7:08:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Irig    Perlandria [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

It seemed pretty interesting to me on the first level. On level 2 I am having problems getting the pattern to rotate. The instructions say to press X or C for rotating and Z for flipping. The pattern lets me flip it once and then freezes while I can't get the pattern to rotate at all. I think it has a lot of potential, but I have trouble getting past the frustration of not having the controls work. If the easier levels intend to lock the patterns in and not let them rotate then please place that into the documentation. I will write back once I get through some of the upper levels.

Applets tend to have serious issues with mixing mouse and keyboard input (I've seen Puzzle Pirates Adventures lock me out of using the keyboard for swordfighting). I'd strongly recommend using the mouse controls instead. It's also possible that some browsers are more keyboard-friendly than others, though which ones are more so seems to be arbitrary...
Tanonev on all oceans; currently exploring Meridian.
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Dec 8, 2008 7:11:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I have noticed that I don't have any problems with the mouse control unless I open another tab, then when I come back to the game I can't rotate.

However, it is indeed supposed to allow for rotation and flipping. If you are experiencing problems with it, we would appreciate more details.

Thanks all for the feedback so far, it would appear that I need to make things clearer. I will see what I can do.

I am glad to see that some of you have discovered little strategies such as using left over paint and sharing stencils.
Pletoo of Sage
[Dec 8, 2008 7:29:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ppplushies

I didn't quite understand how to play the puzzle for the first 1-2 games I played, but after that I was a breeze!

YUS! Addiction indeed. I loved the puzzle and the idea. Other then Blacksmithing, this is one of the only (potential) crafting puzzles that really drawed me in and for me wanting to play it over and over again!

At the beginning it gets a tad annoying, but once I re-read the instructions, look at the Y!PPedia page and look at Patetch's lovely image, it got to be loads of fun.

Of course! Like every crafting puzzle it's about building specific objects. Mixing the potions in Alchemy, Hammering the swords in Blacksmithing, etc. Maybe on the higher levels the stencils could represent furniture in the game?

Once I got a hang of the early levels, level 1-3 got done quickly. 4-8 take more time though. If I read it correctly, scoring is not based on time, so I tried to take as much time as possible.

I found that level 5-6 are the most fun because I could try out new techniques on here making these levels more fun to play on. The higher levels are me essentially using the techniques I learned from level 5-6 and using them.

I'm not sure how to really answer this question. Over-all, the game is fun, but the best part for me is mixing the paint. Sometime it's confusing, but if you get good at using the stencils and the paint, mixing the paint can be really fun to just do that on its own. The colours not hurting your eyes are a plus too!

Yes. Most crafting puzzles are always challenging to pirates because of doub oceans, they seem rather concealed because you have to buy badges. Like Distilling, I believe there will only be a top 4 few who will always be at the top of the leaderboard.

Level 7-8 was the only level I had problem distinguishing colours on. At first, it looked simple so I tried to rush it and coincidentally screwed up. Later, I took my time and did well!

I only went for 2 clears at a time. Anymore and I thought my brain would explode.

I tried to go for perfect matches, but occasionally messed up or got tired and went for "close enough".

Love the game, Patetch, but miss the puppets :(
Kadazzle
[Dec 8, 2008 8:16:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EmberLeo

Not as easy as some of the others, but I figured it out. My one concern was that I found myself getting confused as to which part of the stencil was open and which was blocked even while I was fairly far into a game.
I want to be addicted. It seems like it's just up my ally. But the function of the stencils and the awkwardness of the interface was just enough to keep me paying attention to how to make a move instead of focusing on which moves to make.
I can't tell if it's a design flaw in the concept or just in execution.
Not as fun as I keep expecting. I've returned to this puzzle several times hoping it was just my mood or headspace getting in the way, but the results stay the same.
Not for furnishing. More for something involving painting or colored cloth, perhaps.
I have no concrete sense of time. I found these games to be a little on the short side, but not extremely so.
The easiest, simply because it was the least frustrating.
I do enjoy the concept, and I enjoy the use of colors. It's one of the things I appreciate about Alchemistry as well.
I don't think I ever got good at it.
No, but then I have an extremely acute sense of color.
Once I realized I could, I would clear all possible patterns at once. In this sense the game reminds me of Shipwrightery.
Perfect matches. Perhaps I'd get better faster if I was less of a perfectionist? Edited to add: I've tried with less than perfect matches now. I admit, I'm unclear on how close to perfect I should try to be to get a decent score. It's not as obvious as it is with Carpentry where it's piece by piece. The same move can make any number of difference appear in this game. If it's supposed to be pink, and I got red down, but the white not, is that scored differently than if I got no color or a wrong color there? Is it counted by 8th of a square wrong? Etc.

--Ember--
Furnishing Project - Gilthead
Proposal: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/GCPP:Proposal-Gilthead
Thread: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=97545
Prototype: http://albert.best.vwh.net/gilthead/GiltHead.html
[Edit 1 times, last edit by EmberLeo at Dec 13, 2008 7:26:51 PM]
[Dec 8, 2008 10:33:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wubbajan

-Not as hard as I thought it would be when I first glanced at it. The stencil was hard to see.

- I think I could addicted to this just like carp and shipwrighting!

- It makes you think, so yes!

- yes

* Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game?
Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?

- It felt about right. The first time I played I was like 'Oh, it's over'

- They were all pretty good.

- When it gets harder and harder. More colours, more patterns, it keeps you interested.

- Yes, I think so.

- Not that I recall.

- Multiple of course! =)

- I usually try for perfect matches, just like masterpiece in carp...

Wubbajan - Viridian Ocean, SO of Kingdom of Heaven! RECOGNIZE!
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Wubbajan at Dec 8, 2008 11:03:14 PM]
[Dec 8, 2008 10:57:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shiekan

It was very hard to lern.

Well at first it was frustration and i wanted to quit.. But once u get how to play it, then it can be addictive

Yes.

Yes but perhaps not for furnishing.

Not sure how long it took but it felt about right.

* Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun? The first few levels.

Havent decided.

Yes I think so.

** 7-8 use blue / red / white/ purple / pink / light blue (8 also has
light purple)
Nope.

One at a time.

Close enough lol.
Mootsie on Sage ocean
[Dec 8, 2008 11:06:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MrTeatime

- The concept was easy to understand. I confused painted and save areas of stencils in the start

- It's a game that requires a lot of thought. It's fun to play for a while but at some point gets exhausting. I wouldn't play it for hours in a row, but on a regular basis.

- Yes. See previous question.

- I think that the game could be used for furnishing. But painting walls and ships would fit better in my opinion (if there were a puzzle for that)

- I think the time for one level is something between "just right" and "a bit too short"

- I had most fun with levels of medium difficulty. Lower levels' solutions are just straight forward, higher levels' too demanding.

- Finding the correct combination of patterns

- With randomly created patterns there will always be a challenge even for Ult level players.

- Didn't have any problems distinguishing the colors.

- With few stencils I did one pattern at a time. With more stencils and hence not having the needed one right now, I was forced to work on more patterns and kept doing that.

- I went for perfect matches. Partly because I once missclicked and got whacked. So I thought only perfect matches were accepted.
Eldrick auf Opal
Leitender Offizier (Senior Officer) der Ghosts of Darkness
Priester des dunklen Lords El Pollo
[Dec 9, 2008 7:19:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    mrteatime2001    JonathanTeatime    22517701 [Link]  Go to top 
MisterTeem

Not very long at all, once I figured out how the stencils moved. Also, keyboard shortcuts didn't seem to work for me--I really prefer them (z, x, c) to using the mouse wheel. Since, like, I don't use a mouse. :-D

It was so-so, but I only played up to level 5. I could see getting to a good level at this came and maintaining it.

Well, yes and no. Once I got the hang of it, it was good. Better than carpentry, not as much fun as shipwrightery, the closest two games I can think of.

Yes, I think it does. Would love to see this with piratey artwork.

It was either longer or shorter than I thought it would be--that's because the feedback on how many patterns you had to make was confusing. All of a sudden: "All finished!" Huh? Okay. I see three patterns to go, still. Then there would be other games, at higher levels, that seemed to drag on. Better visual feedback would definitely help.

I played several at level 4 and 5. Those were cool. Didn't have time to try higher. Lower ones were simple...but, shouldn't they be?

Figuring out the stencil that is just right to be able to mix paint before it dries. That started to get hard at level 5--three color combos must be really challening.

Not sure, don't play at that level.

No.

I tried to do multiples, as in, finish two or three of the displayed ones, then clear them out.

Oh, I tried to match as closely as possible. That's part of the fun.
[Dec 9, 2008 8:09:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ynahteb

How easy was it to learn to play?
I had no trouble figuring out how to play in general from the beginning, although it wasn't immediately obvious exactly how the stencils worked.
Since the beginning level only really had 1 stencil, I sort of assumed that all the stencils I needed would always be available rather than acting as randomly generated pieces. This confused me a lot as I got into later levels and started to realize what was happening.
Then I got really confused when I accidentally discovered you could place multiple stencils at a time. Since they can't overlap and only one can be filled in at a time, I'm not really sure what the benefit of this is. It only seemed to irritate me when I would accidentally click on another stencil and no longer be able to move my previous one.

What is the addiction factor? Do you have to force yourself to play it a few more times in order to give decent feedback, or does it tempt you to keep playing when you have other things to do? (or somewhere in the middle)
It was definitely not addicting the first time through, mainly because I had to think a good bit to figure out the best way to do certain patterns. Once I got used to the general idea of the patterns and how to use the stencils it was somewhat more addicting, but I don't see myself ever really getting hooked on this puzzle. (I could see the alchem freaks really getting into it though).

Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun?
Overall, yes. Levels 1-3 where trivially easy, such that when I got to Level 4 I was feeling too lazy to figure out how to make anything complicated. Once I forced myself to complete the level and figure out how to make the weird patterns though it became fun.

Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle?
It does indeed feel quite crafty.

Approximately how long does it take you to play a typical game? Does this time feel too long, too short, or about right?
I didn't time myself, but in general, levels 1-3 where way too short. I remember being shocked that it was over so soon. I would suggest maybe starting the easier levels with more required patterns (8 instead of 5, perhaps) for completion and decreasing the requirement as the patterns themselves get more complex. The later levels seemed to require a suitable amount of time/effort to complete.

Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun?
I probably most enjoyed the mid-range levels. Interesting enough patterns to keep me entertained, but without all super color mixing that makes me have to think too much.

What is your favorite part of the game?
I thoroughly enjoyed being able to take my time and think about what to do. I'm a carp addict, so I get my share of quick pattern recognition, it's nice to have a more relaxing puzzle with more complex patterns to think about.

If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players?
I feel like the variability and complexity of the patterns will allow it to remain challenging, but I'm not super confident in my ability to judge that from the amount of time I've spent playing it thus far.

Was there any level that you had difficulty distinguishing colors?

Light purple/purple looked a bit difficult to distinguish in the key, but i never had them show up in the actual puzzle, so I can't be sure. Other than that, everything was quite clear.

Did you generally try to clear one pattern at a time or did you try to do multiple clears?
For about the first half of the levels I would do at least two patterns at a time. Once the patterns got more difficult I typically focused on one pattern and would begin working on a second (or third if necessary) if I had to wait for a particular stencil to show up.

Did you go for perfect matches or settle for "close enough"?
I only did close enough matches accidentally, either by misplacing the pattern (one column over on either side), or by not noticing that I forgot to clear that box in the corner.
Squee!
[Dec 9, 2008 11:09:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Iceweb6

I Think the Game is so so !
[Dec 9, 2008 11:18:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HotDawgJCJ

There must be something that I am missing. I just didnt' enjoy it. I get how you mix the colors and lay the stencils down, but then what?
[Dec 9, 2008 11:27:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rhulenn

I quite like this puzzle. It's very different from most of the others in the game so far, which is excellent. What about having some paint already down on some levels?
The cloth is useful; perhaps it would be good to have it work like a wet cloth - on wet paint, it removes it; on dry paint, it puts it back to wet paint (this could be helpful for forming blends in certain spots, but would make it harder to erase dry paint; I think this would be better overall).

It's relatively easy to learn to play, although it took me a while to figure out that I could rotate the stencils, haha ^_^

The harder levels are discouraging with the tougher stencils; they're quite daunting. I hope the rewards for doing such hard stencils would be worth the time and effort it would take to make them properly.

I find it fun to work out the patterns, even when they're a bit tough.

This analogy works for painting nearly anything, so I'm not sure what it's best for... But it certainly works for a crafting puzzle. I like it quite a bit for its originality, but I'm not sure how clear the connection is to crafting.

It feels like it might take just a little too long at the higher levels to play; it's too fast at the lower levels though, I think. Levels 3 to 5 are about right for timing. These three levels are also the most fun in my opinion. Level 6 would be better if it had 3 colors and slightly easier patterns with the 3 colors, and maybe 4 colors and fewer stencils on the 8th level.

My favorite part of the game is blending the colors; I'd like to see more opportunities to do that.

I definitely feel this would give a challenge for Ultimate players. It all depends on the marking scale, of course.

I think that it would be better to use yellow instead of white for the third color - "light blue" looks too much like regular blue.
It would also be nice if the levels had random selections between red, yellow, and blue when there's only two colors (so sometimes you get red and yellow, sometimes red and blue, and sometimes yellow and blue) instead of always using the same colors for the same levels.

In the earlier levels, I tried for multiple clears, but later on I felt more comfortable working one large pattern in the middle so I had room to work around the edges where it gets tricky.

I always went for perfect matches; perhaps this is due to my perfectionist nature. "Close enough" is tricky... How far off is close enough? It's too hard to tell. In fact, I think that it would be better if perfect matches were required, and the patterns were just slightly easier.
[Dec 9, 2008 8:51:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Rhulenn wrote: 
I quite like this puzzle. It's very different from most of the others in the game so far, which is excellent. What about having some paint already down on some levels?
Thank you. A very interesting idea that bears thinking about.

Rhulenn wrote: 
The cloth is useful; perhaps it would be good to have it work like a wet cloth - on wet paint, it removes it; on dry paint, it puts it back to wet paint (this could be helpful for forming blends in certain spots, but would make it harder to erase dry paint; I think this would be better overall).
This actually was the original plan for the cloth but it ended up being quite confusing and I found myself messing up more often than not. It is much better to have only one function.
Rhulenn wrote: 
I think that it would be better to use yellow instead of white for the third color - "light blue" looks too much like regular blue.
It would also be nice if the levels had random selections between red, yellow, and blue when there's only two colors (so sometimes you get red and yellow, sometimes red and blue, and sometimes yellow and blue) instead of always using the same colors for the same levels.
The colors were chosen for the sake of those who have color blindness. My research showed me that green, red, and orange all take on shades of brown. Although I could find a shade of green that was distinguishable from orange or red, I could not find a combination that did not make red and orange too similar. I found it necessary to prevent green from appearing in the same puzzle as either red or orange, which is why I used white in the higher levels. It is also why I limited the colors possible on each level.
Alchemistry actually has a system in place to help distinguish the colors, but the same system would not work as well here.

Ynahteb wrote: 
I got really confused when I accidentally discovered you could place multiple stencils at a time. Since they can't overlap and only one can be filled in at a time, I'm not really sure what the benefit of this is.
Placing more than one on the grid at a time is quite useful when you are working on multiple patterns or if the stencils available are just not what you need (so toss a few on the board in an out of the way spot and hope for something better to come along.)
In fact it is actually better to paint as many as you can before switching back to placing stencils or clearing patterns

Ynahteb wrote: 
I would suggest maybe starting the easier levels with more required patterns (8 instead of 5, perhaps) for completion and decreasing the requirement as the patterns themselves get more complex. The later levels seemed to require a suitable amount of time/effort to complete.
Agreed, I do recall having multiple conversations about how many would need to be completed each turn, but I don't recall the exact reason why we settled on 5 for each level. I am thinking that maybe 8 to complete on levels 1-3, 6 on levels 4-6, and 4 on levels 7-8 might be a better balance.

Ynahteb wrote: 
I probably most enjoyed the mid-range levels. Interesting enough patterns to keep me entertained, but without all super color mixing that makes me have to think too much.
I'll admit, level 6 is my personal favorite, for the same reason. I do like to play level 7 sometimes for an extra challenge, and will occasionally venture to 8 when I am feeling particularly alert.

I have seen a few comments about the interface being complicated and the instructions not being clear. I really could use some suggestions here as they seem pretty straight forward to me, however this and scoring are areas that Three Rings would adapt if the proposal was selected.

Thanks for all the feedback so far!
Pletoo of Sage
[Dec 10, 2008 1:24:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bartholemu4

The first few level seemed easy enough but the addition of the diagonel options greatly increased the difficulty level - I think this will be a game like dnav or distilling - either you get it and can make incredible scores or you play it long enough to get the broad trophy and are done
See above - I think there may be some level of addition from the drive to "master" it, but I don't think that will apply to most players
Meh -
I think it works, but it would be better if ther was more rhyme and reason to the pattern sets rather than seemingly random patterns

I really don't know about this since I am just starting YPP

not for me - very clear
Both - seemed about an equal strategy - at higher levels it may be necessary due to the randomness of available stencils
prefect matches seem to be the point of this game
sic hoc adfixium in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et ni mis propinquus ades.

...Still waiting for my free cheese ...
[Dec 10, 2008 8:20:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Christophax

1. It was not easy to learn how to play. There were way too many aspects to this. Controls weren't even clearly introduced to the player.
2. I had to force myself to even try to get my head around it. The addiction factor was absent.
3. Lacking some fun factor there.
4. Can work as an analogy.
5. It takes way too long to first understand it and then to play it. Controls are yet again very thick and slow to respond - there was a lag between my mouse movements and the movements of whatever I was trying to move.
6. On easy setting, it was possible, but on level 8, the sluggishness of the controls were starting to cripple the game.
7. Finishing the game and checking my score was quite satisfying, although getting the right pattern in the first place was electrifying.
8. What is the challenge for Ult level players anyway? To get ult of the ult? It might be a challenge to get there, but once someone has understood the game enough, it will be easy to them.
9. One should bear in mind that colour blind players do exist and too many colours may be very confusing. Yes, some colours that make orange doesn't seem very orange but peachy to me, hence the use of colours should bear great consideration on colour perspective of players.
10. I try to build several at the time and then clear. I think players should be awarded extra points for multiple good clears.
11. Perfectionist! Of course I want them to be perfect, but sluggish response from the Java gives rise to misclicks.

Overall:
- Fun can be perspective, I dislike too much colour coordinated puzzles.
- Great idea for a new puzzle.
[Dec 10, 2008 12:09:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Okay, I've played it more during the last day and I am so totally in love with this thing.

Nope. I had a hard time to get that the patters that we were trying to make were the ones in the upper side of the screen. When I understood that, then it was way easier to play. Now, after playing it a little more, the game is easier to get and I absolutely love it.
I guess I had to force myself to play it. Maybe just because it was hard for me to get the goal of the game. I will keep playing it for more decent feedback later. Now, I am totally addicted.
YES!
Yes, pretty much fills the task for a crafting puzzle: Furnishing and painting the furniture.
In the first levels, I'd say from one to three, it is about time. In the hardest ones I feel that it takes too long to complete!
The first three six levels I suppose. Being simpler patterns, I got to play with mixing paint and flipping pieces without overdoing it.
Strategy. Know what piece to plaint at what time so you don't mess up.
Oh yes, sure it will. If this game gets implemented the way it is right now, the only puzzle that would be harder than this is Distilling. Definitively a big challenge.

Nope, none of them.
* Did you generally try to clear one pattern at a time or did you try to do multiple clears? Two clears the most, but in the easiest levels (one two and three) I tried to do the three at the same time.
Perfect matches. Close enough only when I was DONE and my head hurt.

And for fun: Ended level 8 and this were my scores:

Level 8 started.
Patterns created with 5 stencils, no more than 2 small.
Click on a pattern, stencil, or paint can once to select it,
again to deselect it.
To rotate a stencil, use the mouse wheel or press X and C.
To flip a stencil, right-click or press Z.
Wet paint is represented by partially filled regions.
Finely Detailed!
Pattern cleared! Value: 510 points
target = 510, p = 30, s = 5, c = 12, d = 30, a = 12, w = 0
Finely Detailed!^2
Pattern cleared! Value: 324 points
target = 270, p = 27, s = 5, c = 5, d = 27, a = 5, w = 0
Finely Detailed!^3
Pattern cleared! Value: 588 points
target = 420, p = 30, s = 5, c = 9, d = 30, a = 9, w = 0
Finely Detailed!^4
Pattern cleared! Value: 537 points
target = 336, p = 21, s = 5, c = 11, d = 21, a = 11, w = 0
Finely Detailed!^5
Pattern cleared! Value: 514 points
target = 286, p = 22, s = 5, c = 8, d = 22, a = 8, w = 0
All done! Final score: 71

Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Current governs Ice's Fort Royal
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Quitex at Dec 10, 2008 2:27:35 PM]
[Dec 10, 2008 1:54:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Anneogram

* How easy was it to learn to play? Took me a long time to work out what I had to do (the animations in this thread definitely helped explain)
* What is the addiction factor? Low for me, at lower levels not a challenge to do, but at higher levels I really had to think and plan what I was going to do which was too much like hard work. For me the style of game is wrong for Puzzle Pirates
* Separate from the addiction, is playing the game fun? Clever puzzle, but not the style of game I would like to play within puzzle pirates
* Does the analogy work for a crafting puzzle? Yes
Didnt try the harder levels as it seemed like it would take too long and not fun.
* Which level or settings did you find to be the most fun? 4-5 as low levels to easy and higher levels too much to do
* What is your favorite part of the game? None
* If you played enough to get good at this game, will it provide a challenge for Ult level players? Levels can be made very challenging, but might not be engaging enough to make people undertake that challenge
* Did you generally try to clear one pattern at a time or did you try to do multiple clears? 1 at time
* Did you go for perfect matches or settle for "close enough"? perfect

I had problems rotating stencils with the keyboard but OK with the mouse
[Dec 10, 2008 3:09:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Random notes:

We have updated the quick start image as well as giving more direct instructions in the output box, hopefully it will help.

I am puzzled by the comments saying the game has too much lag or the controls don't work. I have a very slow computer that complains about many things and yet I have not experienced any problems. Is it possibly browser related?

There are several factors figured in for scoring such as complexity of the design, accuracy, and efficiency.

Please remember that should this game be chosen, Three Rings will adapt both the interface and scoring to Y!PP standards, please remember to focus on the concept itself.

The new image and instructions (you may have to restart the browser to see the updates in the game applet itself.

Objective: Use the stencils from the toolbox at the bottom of the board and paint to make five patterns (3 at a time are visible at the top of the board.)

Step one: Stencil placement.
  • Decide which pattern(s) you will be working on.
  • Place stencil(s) on the grid, they can not overlap. (Click to select, again to deselect.)
  • To rotate a stencil, use the mouse wheel or press X and C.
  • To flip a stencil, right-click or press Z.
  • A stencil can be picked up and repositioned unless something else has been selected.
Note: keyboard controls do not work with all browsers.

Step Two: Painting.
  • Select a color and click in the stencil areas to paint. (Remember, the paint will fill the inner area, not the darkened parts.)
  • Wet paint is represented by partially filled regions.
  • Wet paint can be mixed the next turn by adding another stencil and painting a new color.
  • The rag can be used with a stencil to clear away a section of unwanted paint.

Repeat until you are satisfied with the design you have made.

Clear designs by clicking on the pattern and matching the outline to your work. This should be done during the stencil placement phase.

Tips:
  • Perfection is not required but earns a bonus.
  • Efficiency is rewarded. Try to do consecutive similar tasks (ie:painting several stencils)
  • Try to use leftover painted areas.
  • There is not a penalty for unpainted stencils on the grid.
  • The rag is very useful when you don't have the exact stencil.
    Pletoo of Sage
[Dec 10, 2008 8:55:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

At first, I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do. I was thinking we had to make the stencils and place them where the squares on the reference board went.

Now, with the new helps in this thread, I am finding I am liking this game. I was always good at Tangrams, and the more I play it, the more I like it, so I would say that for me there is an addiction factor.

I didn't have any issues with the colors, and while it was challenging in the higher levels, I tried to get perfect matches, and multiple patterns at once.

Rotating seems to be kind of picky still though. Not sure if that's something in the game, or just me.
Jolyma

[Dec 10, 2008 10:02:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
YelllerBeard

* How easy was it to learn to play?Written directions seemed a bit obscure but took just a little bit to understand the writen directions once I started playing
Mostly found myself thinking, ok that's enough. Then I played a bit more and decided, boy I will never get that time back.
Not really. Controls seemed to unweildly to achieve a fun enviroment.
The analogy seems ok just didn't achieve the goal.
Took longer then I would normally spend on a puzzle. Definatley longer then I would spend if it was live.
Lower levels seemed too boring. Upper levels too annoying.
Stopping
Not sure. I would not try that much
no
multiple
Tried for perfect mostly
Yelerbeard
Captain of the War Pigs
Curmudgeon of the Sea
[Dec 11, 2008 2:12:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 74   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates