• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 86
Posts: 86   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 21400 times and has 85 replies Next Thread
Apollo
OceanMaster

Create Seasonal Winter Trinkets for the game! (Winners Announced) Reply to this Post

The aim of this event is to introduce player-created seasonal trinkets that will be available for sale at the Palace Shoppe over the winter holiday period .

Trinket Size
The final trinket size must be 36 pixels wide by 39 pixels high.
Do not provide any image of your design larger than this.
You will need to host your image on an external site so that you can post the image.

Background
The background should be transparent (or plain white if you do not know how to produce a transparent background).

Content
The trinket may represent anything seasonal - it could be something based on winter weather, or something representing Christsmas or other wintertime festivals, or something generically seasonal. The content must be appropriate to the game.

Colors
You can design your trinket to come in a single color variation, or in a range of colors, as many of the trinkets do. If you wish to have the trinket available in multiple colors, please provide two versions of it, in different colors, so it is clear which elements of the trinket change with the color choice.

Style
You will want to design the trinket so that the artwork is compatible in style to the trinkets already in the game. Take a look at the YPPedia trinket page for an overview of the trinkets already available.
It should be obvious, but no animation!

Availability
The intention for these trinkets is that the winning entries will be available for purchase in the Palace Shoppe. However, it is also plausible that one could be made available as a seasonal event prize, either for tournaments or for other in-game and forum events. If you have a particular wish for your trinket to be an event prize, please say so in your entry post - we cannot guarantee this, however.

Prizes
Trinkets! Other in-game prizes! (No familiars!)

Judging
The judging for this event will produce a list of contest winners - probably between 10 and 15 winners, depending on the number of entries. Each of these winners will receive a trinket and another in-game prize. Note that being a contest winner does not yet mean that your trinket has been chosen to be made available in the game. This list of contest winners will go into the next stage of evaluation.

Further Evaluation
The contest winners will be passed to the game's talented arrrtists and developers for further evaluation. It is this group who will identify the short list of trinkets that they would like to develop for inclusion in the game. They may wish to edit or adapt the trinket design to 'tweak' the design or to make it fit better with other in-game art. They may ask the player artist to make changes, or they may make changes themselves. The final decision on which trinkets are introduced to the game, and on the final design used, rests with these Ringers. Note that trinkets will only be introduced to the game if there are designs considered suitable - the expectation is to introduce 1-3 player-designed trinkets, but they reserve the right to include none, or more.

Number of entries
Each player may make just ONE entry post, and this post may include up to TWO designs.

How to enter, and deadline
Post your entry in the Entry Thread.
Include your pirate name and ocean.
Include your design as an image in the post (see link in next post) - not as a link.
If you intend the trinket to be available in multiple colors, include two versions of the trinket in different colors so that it is clear which pieces of the design change with each color choice.
The deadline is 11:59:59 game time on Tuesday 25th November 2008.

For additional links, and for additional questions and answers, please see the next post.

Good luck, and have fun!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Apollo at Dec 1, 2008 5:39:15 PM]
[Nov 11, 2008 1:55:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Re: Create Seasonal Winter Trinkets for the game! Reply to this Post

Additional information, and collation of relevant questions and answers.

Links:
Entry thread (again!)
Trinket page (again)
Standard color options
How to post an image on the forum
Reminder on how to reply to a post
Tips and tricks for entering events

Questions and answers: (to be edited as required)
Do the winners get their trinket? Yes, the designers of the trinkets that make it into the game will get a copy of their trinket.

Do entries need to be new and original for this contest? Yes, please. Entries should be all your own work, and should be created specifically for this contest.

Can you have a particular PART of a trinket change, such as a Snowflake with a changeable letter or number? It would have to be done as multiple trinkets, as when you select colors, the basic trinket shape stays the same. I'm not sure if it's possible, but if you have a blindingly good idea, show me one or two different letters or numbers, and it's down to the developers if they would want to go down that route. Overall, I think it's not likely they'd go with it, but you never know!

Will the name(s) we give our trinket(s) affect the outcome of one's score? I can't see a situation where it would. As long as your name explains what it is, as long as it's not offensive, and as long as you know that the name could be changed... I'm not intending that they will judge this on the name.

We get a say in the colours and availability of the trinkets if they win, but what about their inscribability. If any trinkets are added into the game, could we inscribe them or not? I would expect any of these trinkets to be inscribable.

Is it "only" two color variations or "at least" two color variations? Well, I only need to see two color versions posted - simply to show which parts change. If you want to post more, it won't disqualify the entry, but it's not going to get you any extra credit!

Can you design a trinket similar to one that has been available in the past? You can if you wish. I'd suggest that you make it sufficiently different to the previous one, though, even if the subject is similar.

Question from in-game - Does it have to relate to Christmas? Certainly not - it can relate to any seasonal theme.
[Edit 9 times, last edit by Apollo at Nov 18, 2008 1:17:41 PM]
[Nov 11, 2008 2:02:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
ikketje

Re: Create Seasonal Winter Trinkets for the game! (deadline 25 November 2008) Reply to this Post

Apollo wrote: 
Christsmas

Sorry, I'm stupid, but just could not resist >_>

Nice event!
Ikke on Meridian and Emerald
Veerle on Cerulean

~Avatar by Velternal
[Nov 11, 2008 5:06:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
seb_long_uk

An event with intent to implement! Yus!

Tips and tricks for entering events

*hugs Apollo*
Domokun
Avatar by the incredible Tilinka
[Nov 11, 2008 6:28:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    My other sloop is a Gold/Gold rename [Link]  Go to top 
Dougerarg

Are you surprised Domokun? You're tricks and tips for entering contests are very helpful. =)

Oh- and SWEET. I'm totally entering this!
Scervy of Hunter
Omnis on Sage

Retired YPP player. Miss all my old pals from long ago
[Nov 11, 2008 6:48:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Azagh

Do the winners get their trinket?
Azagh of the Viridian 2006- 2015

MIA - Smirnoff (tan octo), Outgoing Stickleback (first ship), Time bandit (Favorite ship), Northwestern, Glenfiddich & Buffalo Trace (my shoppes) and my Galene doll won in the indy 50.0
[Nov 11, 2008 8:52:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

Do entries need to be new and original for this contest?

(I figure the answer is yes, but there were a couple trinkets entered in my "Ice Queen" event last winter that I would love to see in-game... so I thought I'd ask.)

-- Fey
Feylind

Semi-retired Midnight Cerulean Event Addict
[Nov 11, 2008 12:48:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
Scarletskull

Re: Create Seasonal Winter Trinkets for the game! (deadline 25 November 2008) Reply to this Post

I have never attempted to enter a contest before, so I have a question. My computer is kind of old, and I have a ball mouse. Should I attempt to draw something in MS Paint? Or would it be alright to try something by hand take it somewhere I can scan it then use a image editer to crop and resize it?

P.S. Thank you guys for all you do. P-D
[Nov 11, 2008 4:35:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
seb_long_uk

I have never attempted to enter a contest before, so I have a question. My computer is kind of old, and I have a ball mouse. Should I attempt to draw something in MS Paint? Or would it be alright to try something by hand take it somewhere I can scan it then use a image editer to crop and resize it?

P.S. Thank you guys for all you do. P-D

For this event - something which would easily be considered 'pixel'-art' - you will not suffer any significant disadvantage by using MSpaint. I, for one, (as someone who has, extremely modestly, won a few art contests) will be using MSpaint for at least some, if not all of the process.
Domokun
Avatar by the incredible Tilinka
[Nov 11, 2008 4:49:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    My other sloop is a Gold/Gold rename [Link]  Go to top 
super_kong41

O_o yays a player create item~

Here comes Snowball on a Cane~
Siruis on Malachite, Viridian, Sage
Amparojack on Cobalt
Malachite = BAD

Currently playing Cobalt
[Nov 11, 2008 6:17:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kaalvoet

I'm trying to graduate in a month and prolly wont have any time to enter this, which makes me very sad cuz this looks like fun ^.^

You make the best events. <3

Ps. *HUGS.*
The Infamous Feline Pirate
Kitt on Cobalt

Rehio says, "Yes, O Mistress"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Kaalvoet at Nov 11, 2008 9:36:16 PM]
[Nov 11, 2008 9:31:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    PinkxLimonade [Link]  Go to top 
Chastener

Blatant plagiarism makes me a sad panda. Claiming that you worked hard for an image that someone else made is just horrid.

SOURCE: http://www.iconarchive.com/show/winter-holiday-icons-by-icondrawer/xmas-tree-icon.html

To everyone else who is planning on cheating, seriously, it's just 36x39 pixels. You can make it on MSPaint. Whatever happened to originality and hard work?

:'(

P.S. Good luck on yer graduation Kaalvoet :D
[Nov 12, 2008 10:14:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mobettagc

Hejo

Virdian

http://www.iconarchive.com/show/winter-holiday-icons-by-icondrawer/xmas-tree-icon.html

Hope i Win ,Worked 2 Hours For it

Yes. This is illegal, you may not have known that because this is a game, but taking other work and claiming as your own is illegal and can get you banned for it. It is a serious concept. You can use the picture as an inspiration, but you can't copy paste it ans use as your own.
Mobettagc of Sage Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Mobettagc at Nov 12, 2008 12:56:16 PM]
[Nov 12, 2008 12:54:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dougerarg

Apparently the guy spent 2 hours copying and pasting and reformatting... how sad. lol.
Scervy of Hunter
Omnis on Sage

Retired YPP player. Miss all my old pals from long ago
[Nov 12, 2008 5:30:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

You can tell by my entry that I was so excited to start that I didn't read beyond the size requirement. >.> Does providing a red/lime/violet image help or hinder efforts to get it in game?
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Nov 12, 2008 6:11:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
sirwinston

Do not post entries in this thread. Please use the entry thread linked in the first post. Read the rules for limitations on number of designs.

Stocking with Stripes.img]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh126/arrsome/Stocking1-1.png[/img]
Stocking with Glitter Stars.img]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh126/arrsome/Stocking2.png[/img]
Standard Stocking.img]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh126/arrsome/Stocking3.png[/img]
Stocking with Gold Cuff instead of White.img]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh126/arrsome/Stocking4.png[/img]
Stocking with Selectable Colors.img]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh126/arrsome/Stocking5.png[/img]
Stocking with Holly.img]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh126/arrsome/Stocking6.png[/img]
Stocking with Color Selectable Holly.img]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh126/arrsome/Stocking8.png[/img]
Stocking with Stripes and Holly.img]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh126/arrsome/Stocking7.png[/img]
Stocking with Glitter Stars and Color Selectable Holly.img]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh126/arrsome/Stocking9.png[/img]
Stocking with Selectable Colors and Glitter Stars.img]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh126/arrsome/Stocking10.png[/img]
Stocking with Glitter Stars and Holly.img]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh126/arrsome/Stocking11.png[/img]
Stocking with Gold Bells.img]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh126/arrsome/Stocking12.png[/img]
Stocking with Silver Bells.img]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh126/arrsome/Stocking13.png[/img]
Stocking with Bronze Bells.img]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh126/arrsome/Stocking14.png[/img]

BloodyBill on the Cerulean Ocean (of Cobalt origin).
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Apollo at Nov 13, 2008 12:05:52 AM]
[Nov 12, 2008 7:44:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Bloodybill [Link]  Go to top 
Master15S

Sirwinston,

1) Try saving in PNG format to preserve transparency and THEN hosting your image(s)

and

2) Post entries in the Entry Thread linked to in Apollo's post.

Thank you

EDIT: I had a question I forgot to ask >.< Can you have a particular PART of a trinket change, such as a Snowflake with a changeable letter or number? Just curious cuz I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing (other than my skate entry... we are allowed two ^_^)

EDIT again: EEK! I had another question that I didn't know where to ask, so an OM ran thread works for me >.< When is the next portrait background contest?

Sorry if this is way the wrong place to ask, but I wasn't sure WHERE to ask, ya know?
Padme
PadmeMaster-- Only playing when she feels like it

I'm SICK of moving. Yay for one last move for a while!

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Master15S at Nov 12, 2008 8:18:23 PM]
[Nov 12, 2008 8:13:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Padmemaster.googlepages.com [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

EDIT: I had a question I forgot to ask >.< Can you have a particular PART of a trinket change, such as a Snowflake with a changeable letter or number? Just curious cuz I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing (other than my skate entry... we are allowed two ^_^)

Yes. You post multiple examples of the same trinket that show which part changes color.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Nov 12, 2008 9:11:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
micklauer

Did I mention I'm a devout follower of Apollo.

Everyday is a holiday with Apollo around.

CHEERS!

Kp
Devout follower of Apollo
d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
[Nov 13, 2008 6:46:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Master15S

Yes. You post multiple examples of the same trinket that show which part changes color.

I don't mean just color, I mean design too... Sorry I wasn't clear (I was tired)

[Nov 13, 2008 8:50:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Padmemaster.googlepages.com [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

From an earlier post of Apollo:

Can you have a particular PART of a trinket change, such as a Snowflake with a changeable letter or number? It would have to be done as multiple trinkets, as when you select colors, the basic trinket shape stays the same. I'm not sure if it's possible, but if you have a blindingly good idea, show me one or two different letters or numbers, and it's down to the developers if they would want to go down that route. Overall, I think it's not likely they'd go with it, but you never know!

Guppyzra of the Imaginary Ocean.
Founder and Coordinator of Fight Circle

In the Name Of... ~carpe noctem
[Nov 13, 2008 11:21:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Master15S

From an earlier post of Apollo:

Thanks ^_^

[Nov 13, 2008 12:26:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Padmemaster.googlepages.com [Link]  Go to top 
sirwinston

<snip>
Me apologies, I've been having trouble with my Internet Explorer since the last scan, and everything was screwed up. When I lost my first post in the entry thread, I re-entered this instead and posted then logged in the confusion. Sorry about that. I'll repost in the entry thread.
BloodyBill on the Cerulean Ocean (of Cobalt origin).
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Apollo at Nov 13, 2008 1:28:44 PM]
[Nov 13, 2008 1:00:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Bloodybill [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

In case I didn't make it clear in my first and second posts, I'm answering questions in the second post so that extra information or clarifications are all together.
[Nov 13, 2008 1:29:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Sharktailz

Question! Will the name(s) we give our trinket(s) effect the outcome of one's score?
Sharktail, Sage. Avatar by Phillite!

Laptop done broked'd! PM me if you need anything.
[Nov 13, 2008 4:20:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://twitter.com/SharktailYPP [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Sharktail's DingDong Bells and Dexla's Mistletoe thingy of doom gets my vote. Wicked awesome.
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Nov 14, 2008 6:40:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

We get a say in the colours and availability of the trinkets if they win, but what about their inscribability. If any trinkets are added into the game, could we inscribe them or not?
Guppyzra of the Imaginary Ocean.
Founder and Coordinator of Fight Circle

In the Name Of... ~carpe noctem
[Nov 16, 2008 4:47:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mobettagc

I am seeing a lot of good ones. I'm excited. Can't wait to see which one (or ones) win! :)
Mobettagc of Sage Emerald
[Nov 16, 2008 5:54:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

I am seeing a lot of good ones. I'm excited. Can't wait to see which one (or ones) win! :)
Yes, they're wonderful! There are several that I'd love to see in the game already!
[Nov 16, 2008 10:17:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
micklauer

Errr...so I'm seeing lots of entries that no longer follow the rule to submit only one extra color variation simply to show the look...has that been changed?

As in, can I show all the color variations I have availble??

<3

kp
Devout follower of Apollo
d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
[Nov 16, 2008 10:26:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 86   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates