• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 49
Posts: 49   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6757 times and has 48 replies Next Thread
Amy_Wynd

Avatars for Sale <3 Reply to this Post

Someone said I should make a buisness out of making avatars...I figured, Why not! So, Yeah...I'm selling avatars. xD

I don't really know what I should charge though. Maybe you guys could help? I'll post examples and y'all can tell me what you think they're worth?

Currently the prices are 1k for an avvie in black and white, 2k for one in color, or 2.5k for both. At the moment I'm only accepting payment on Sage, Viridian, and Cobalt. Unless all you non-Sage or Viridian dublooners wanna pay it in dubs (1-2) which would end up being more...But...I would love you all the more for it. <3

Ezamples:

(what's with people and wavy hair? >.>)

If you want me to make you one I'll need you to give me a link to one of yer portraits. I pretty much just copy what's on there with a few minor tweaks but...If you want I can change the clothes (Or at least try to xD) and/ or the facial expression.. And um...Yeah..That's about it. Let me know what you think. x]
----------------------------------------
Genuine on the Sage Ocean.
Senior Officer of the crew Drunken Lullabies.
Lady of the flag Good Riddance.
I feel so loved. <3
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Amy_Wynd at Nov 13, 2008 1:49:17 PM]
[Nov 9, 2008 6:16:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
blackshot101

Re: Avatars for Sale <3 Reply to this Post

I'd pay 10k. >.>
Banhammered on the Viridian ocean
Captain of the crew:
Epic Fail

^^
[Nov 9, 2008 6:17:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Amy_Wynd

lol, seriously? xD
I feel so loved. <3
[Nov 9, 2008 6:29:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
blackshot101

lol, seriously? xD

Yep, but might i suggest some color?
Banhammered on the Viridian ocean
Captain of the crew:
Epic Fail

^^
[Nov 9, 2008 6:35:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Amy_Wynd

Its a good suggestion for someone who can actually color -- But probably not for me. :P

I'll give it a try if you want though.
I feel so loved. <3
[Nov 9, 2008 6:54:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lamoxlamae

As they stand, I'd say you could easily get 2k for them. It's very simple black and white work with a few flaws and a smudgy white background. With color and proper cleaning after scanning, I'd say 5k, easy, maybe more depending on the coloring style, the crispness of the colors and how ornate it is.

10k seems on the high end to me.
Lamoxlamae of Midnight
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Lamoxlamae at Nov 9, 2008 8:00:32 PM]
[Nov 9, 2008 7:59:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Amy_Wynd

Hm...Alright. Do you possibly have any tips on cleaning it? I am horrible with the picture editing junk. And I'll get some colored examples up in a little while... Turns out I only have crayons at the moment.
I feel so loved. <3
[Nov 9, 2008 8:56:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kirppu1

I'll get some colored examples up in a little while... Turns out I only have crayons at the moment.

If you decide to color your avatars, you should do it on computer.. it'll look tons better :)

Some tips on cleaning and coloring scetches:
- The clearer your linework is, the easier it is to color it. That means no pencil coloring before scanning. Inking and erasing pencil marks is also recommended.
- After scanning, select the outlines with a magic wand tool (or select the white areas and inverse selection)
- cut/copy and paste your linework to a new layer
- create a new layer under the linework layer and fill it with white: that way the original scanned picture won't be disturbing you and you have a solid background
- erase everything you don't like in your linework layer (clean it up)
- create separate layers for coloring under the linework layer

If you don't have a program with layers and magic wand tool, you can download a free one, for example paint.net

I think your drawings look nice and you have lots of potential! :)
The only thing that disturbs me a little is that the "round" faces aren't quite round.. I know it's not easy to draw freehand circles, but it's worth practicing!
~Kirppu on the Meridian ocean~
Current avatar by Mangouste!
[Nov 10, 2008 10:50:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Amy_Wynd

Some tips on cleaning and coloring scetches:
- The clearer your linework is, the easier it is to color it. That means no pencil coloring before scanning. Inking and erasing pencil marks is also recommended.
- After scanning, select the outlines with a magic wand tool (or select the white areas and inverse selection)
- cut/copy and paste your linework to a new layer
- create a new layer under the linework layer and fill it with white: that way the original scanned picture won't be disturbing you and you have a solid background
- erase everything you don't like in your linework layer (clean it up)
- create separate layers for coloring under the linework layer

If you don't have a program with layers and magic wand tool, you can download a free one, for example paint.net

I'm completely computer illiterate when it comes to stuff like this... but I'll give it a shot!

The only thing that disturbs me a little is that the "round" faces aren't quite round.. I know it's not easy to draw freehand circles, but it's worth practicing!

Okie, I'll work at getting my circles more circle-y. x]

And thank ye, thank ye, thank ye all for helping me out.
I feel so loved. <3
[Nov 10, 2008 11:52:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MubblyMan

I like the individual style, for the avatars currently i would pay 4-6k

If you wanted to earn the extra bit more i would suggest scanning it and rubbing out the smudges in an image editor.
[Nov 10, 2008 12:11:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BeHeader89

Aye, I agree with the above posts. Adding some color and details, and making the lines having a more crisp look could boost the price up to 5 ~ 10k.

I highly recommend using color, if not do a gradation of tones on the black and white. I've been doing an art class for the past week, just trying to touch up on former tones and viewpoint perspective drawings. Using a pencil going from dark, dark gray, to light gray, and finally a white would even the look out. If you aren't agreeing with the darker tones just tone it down to a light gray and white.

Using smudge sticks if possible would be a good thing, these little clever things. I forgot the name of them, or the company I just call them smudge sticks. Using a stick going over pencil markings evening out the tones and giving it a smudged but clean look.
Hunter Ocean: Intervention or Cewt.
[Nov 10, 2008 12:13:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sirwinston

2 - 3k.
Pretty nice, but could use some work, especially some of the things others mentioned.
Otherwise I like them a lot, nice start! :)
BloodyBill on the Cerulean Ocean (of Cobalt origin).
[Nov 10, 2008 2:21:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Bloodybill [Link]  Go to top 
Amy_Wynd

...if not do a gradation of tones on the black and white.

I thought I was? lol

Using smudge sticks if possible would be a good thing, these little clever things. I forgot the name of them, or the company I just call them smudge sticks. Using a stick going over pencil markings evening out the tones and giving it a smudged but clean look.

Oh! I forgot about those things! I think they're called tortillions. I have one somewhere...I'll use it next time.

Anyway...Here's one I did for a contest:

The outline ^

And after I colored it with my super duper crayons because I can't get to Kirppu's link... *hint hint*

(I told you I can't color. xD)

On a side note: Does anyone want a free one? First one to post gets a free one so I can try all these nifty things out.
I feel so loved. <3
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Amy_Wynd at Nov 10, 2008 8:09:36 PM]
[Nov 10, 2008 2:26:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cambiata

Here is another program that you could maybe try: Sumo

This one is fun because you don't have to download anything but it has alot of the layer options that programs like Gimp and Photoshop have.

My suggestions for coloring these is not to delete the white part but to copy the layer and set the new layer to Multiply. This will make the white part of the drawing see through so you can put a coloring layer behind it and not worry about cutting anything out. It also lets you keep some of the shading that you do with your pencils. I know I didnt explain that well... I will maybe attempt a better explanation later when I have more time <3
Cambiata,
~Currently pillaging the Obsidian Ocean~
from the Viridian (now Meridian) ocean

[Nov 10, 2008 3:26:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://cambiata.deviantart.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
sirwinston

I forgot to save it to .png, but otherwise it should be alright. Took me over an hour to do this on paint, but I thought I'd show you an idea of how to color things :D
[Nov 10, 2008 6:18:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Bloodybill [Link]  Go to top 
Amy_Wynd

My suggestions for coloring these is not to delete the white part but to copy the layer and set the new layer to Multiply. This will make the white part of the drawing see through so you can put a coloring layer behind it and not worry about cutting anything out. It also lets you keep some of the shading that you do with your pencils. I know I didnt explain that well... I will maybe attempt a better explanation later when I have more time <3

Um...I kinda got that, but...Not really. lol, I generally need to be told in baby terms to understand things though... Its one of my many fine qualities.

I forgot to save it to .png, but otherwise it should be alright. Took me over an hour to do this on paint, but I thought I'd show you an idea of how to color things :D

Awesome! Thank you! I really appreciate it! ^^
I feel so loved. <3
[Nov 10, 2008 8:15:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cambiata

I will try and keep this to image links since I went and did a tutorial for anyone who is interested. This is seriously one of the simplest ways to color something you scanned into your computer. Also did it on the Sumo art program so anyone who has the will can try it out. I didn't show to much how I colored it as that would have made me take a whole bunch more screen shots and I was getting lazy.

1. This picture is just the general program. I opened your lovely picture and zoomed in a lot.

2. Next I went up and selected the layers and created myself a couple new ones. the green is highlighting the duplicate layer which I used to make a second layer that is an exact copy of the original and the purple is highlighting the place where you create a new blank layer on which you will do your coloring.

3. This one is the important one. The copy you made of the origina indicated by my green circle should go on top of all your other layers and you need to click where it says 'normal' and change this to multiply (make sure you have the right layer selected or it wont work ;). Then go and select the blank layer you created and start your coloring.

For this I just colored on the one layer. I added a little shading to the skin but if you do more shading with the pencil it will show up over your flat color and you wont really need to do any shading even. This technique keeps away the white dots that sometimes show up in line art which always makes it look more professional.

5. I added some color in the background as well to make it stand out a little. Again just make another layer behind the color layer and go at it.

The finished product. Make sure on this program when you save to have .jpg after the file name or it wont save correctly (I just did it the first time I saved and almost couldn't figure out what I had done.. >.>) I cant seem to figure out how to change this to png format but it saves pretty well as a jpg so no worries :)

Edit.. HA I fail at getting the right pictures with the right number... >.>
Cambiata,

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Cambiata at Nov 10, 2008 8:55:22 PM]
[Nov 10, 2008 8:44:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://cambiata.deviantart.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Amy_Wynd

oooo your awesome! xD lol, I'm gonna have to make my computer erm...Friend...Install Sumo since it looks so shiny.

But this is what I came up with with the paint program Kirppu suggested --

(I'm suppose to thank Fry for getting it up and running for me..)

Also, technically, you're the first person to post since I asked if anyone wanted a free one.. So if you want one I'll make it! I just need a link to one of yer portraits and if you want something else added in let me know...And I'll try. xD Thankie again. <3
I feel so loved. <3
[Nov 10, 2008 9:13:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cambiata

Hehe SURE. And just a note you don't have to download Sumo at all. It just opens in your window and your ready to go. <3

Linkie to my wiki which has linkies to my portraits. You can pick your fav <3
Cambiata,

[Nov 10, 2008 9:53:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://cambiata.deviantart.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Amy_Wynd

lol, but there are so many. How will I ever choose?

-- 5 minutes later --

Ah-hah! I've got it! I won't! You will! Inadvertantly! (I don't think I spelled that right. >.>)

Pick a number between 1 and 11. Then pick a number between 1-5 and then finally pick a number between 1-3.

~ My methods are my own. ~
I feel so loved. <3
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Amy_Wynd at Nov 10, 2008 10:48:02 PM]
[Nov 10, 2008 10:45:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cambiata

How about... 2,10 and 4.

I mixed themup on purpouse :P
Cambiata,

[Nov 11, 2008 6:38:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://cambiata.deviantart.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Amy_Wynd

How about... 2,10 and 4.

I mixed themup on purpouse :P

What a scallawag! <3

Here ya go:

Thanks again for all you're help!

Edit: I also have the uncolored version as well -- if you'd rather have that.
I feel so loved. <3
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Amy_Wynd at Nov 11, 2008 9:06:26 PM]
[Nov 11, 2008 9:03:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cambiata

awww so CUTE!!! I would lurve to see the uncolored version as well. <3
Cambiata,

[Nov 12, 2008 7:39:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://cambiata.deviantart.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Amy_Wynd

I was feeling lazy this morning so I didn't fix it up or anything to make it look nicer. x] I mean...I can if you want me to -- just probably not today.

Also, price-wise, I was thinking 1k for the black and white and 2k for colored. That sound fair?
(This isn't necessarily a question directed at Cambiata; anyone can answer.)
I feel so loved. <3
[Nov 12, 2008 8:53:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sirwinston

I'll take a colored one for 2k, please.
See current avatar for facial features/skin colors (black hair, goatee, spiky-style hair, tan skin) I'd like it of me with my new Lime bodied/Tan feathered parrot please. Pose is up to you :) I'd like my clothes to be Lime/Tan to match the parrot as well :)
[Nov 12, 2008 1:39:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Bloodybill [Link]  Go to top 
shortnmouthy

I'll take one of each, these are absolutely adorable, here is a link to my portrait here and i would like the same facial expressions. I can pay on Cobalt :P
Shortntarty on Obsidian
Makes a mean chili and brownies.

Jackpot tells ye, "mala is gayer than elton john's boa collection.
[Nov 13, 2008 12:03:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Amy_Wynd

Here's Sirwinston's:

And I'll get started on your's, Shortnmouthy, as soon as I can. ^.^
I feel so loved. <3
[Nov 13, 2008 3:28:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kirppu1

Wow you're doing good!
Next thing to try would be some shadows and background color :)

An easy way to experiment with shadows without the possibility of ruining your picture is to create a transparent layer and paint with black (or other dark colour) on it.
Let's say we want some more shadows on this picture here:

Create a new layer for the shadows. I usually place my shadow layers right below the outline layer, but it's your own choice really..

Adjust the opacity of the layer in "Layer properties" so that you can see through it.

Paint the shadows with a dark color and possibly blur a little..

..and adjust the opacity of the layer again to get the shawods lighter/darker whatever looks better.

If you want the shadows to be darker at some spot, just create multiple shadow layers.

I know there are many other ways to do the shading, but this is kind of easy to understand and start with :D
~Kirppu on the Meridian ocean~
Current avatar by Mangouste!
[Nov 15, 2008 3:25:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Amy_Wynd

lol, I'm too lazy to try and do a background. But I did try shadows! xD

Anyway...

-- and --

I hope ye like!
I feel so loved. <3
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Amy_Wynd at Nov 17, 2008 12:20:04 PM]
[Nov 17, 2008 12:02:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
grizzlyly

Oh! i want 1, i can pay on sage and heres a portrait Here Only thing is i have a patch now and would love to have it in the avatar <3
Kickhead on Hunter

Kickie forced Clotho to walk the plank.
Clotho has left the vessel.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by grizzlyly at Nov 20, 2008 9:27:49 AM]
[Nov 20, 2008 9:26:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 49   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates