• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 30
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8008 times and has 29 replies Next Thread
meeper50

Observations On Cursed Isles

Rumble/SF
The 1-v-1?s are NOT very hard. You Start off with about 1/3 Damage, But Zombie?s Rarely send Attacks.

Ship COmbat-
We have Rafts!, which do Hardly any Damage, and Sink in 1 Hit. Sinister Sloops, and Cutlist Cutters, Seem the same as their Non-Zombiefide COmpanions.
The Citadel, is an Island!

Citidel-
The Island, You fight Rumble with ZOmbies, then forage, then fight Cutlists, with SF, then you forage. Thats as far as we got in our baglah. You Have Zombies, and a Witch Doctor, with a Tiki type Mask.
And yes, it is a Walkaround island.

Fog-
Green Fog, When you go in, you get a Message ?The Crew Inhales Noxious Gas, and begins to lose fine motor skills?

Misc.-
WHen you bring in a Large Ship (Baglah and Bigger) You Do NOT Spawn in a Safe ZOne. But you also do not spawn in the middle. We Spawned in a Nook/Cranny, with Gas all around us.

Items-

Will Be Updated Later.
----------------------------------------

da_ripper says "And they also deleted my marijuana price thread that was required for educational purposes."

[Edit 4 times, last edit by meeper50 at Nov 4, 2008 7:03:40 PM]
[Nov 4, 2008 6:33:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Octobeard

Re: Observations On Cursed Isles

We have Rafts!, which do Hardly any Damage, and Sink in 1 Hit.

I think these are what carry the zombie attackers, from the release notes.

The Citadel, is an Island!

As in, walk around on land, Island? If so, this is totally awesome.

WHen you rae in a Large Ship (Baglah and Bigger) You Do NOT Spawn in a Safe ZOne.

So you can bring in a GF, but you get dumped into the center of the board? Even more awesome.
PogoBeta wrote: 
NO GODMOGGING

[Nov 4, 2008 6:47:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LubJenneh

We did a fray with 4 of us vs 6 of them and wrecked them, none of our players died.
Verlool
[Nov 4, 2008 7:00:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LubJenneh

As in, walk around on land, Island? If so, this is totally awesome.

Yes, and you can forage on it and that's how you get chests and such. Well first you go into a fray, and if you win you can forage, and after that according to Jolyma it asks you if you want to keep fighting or you want to leave, and we decided to keep fighting and got a SF fray this time. We got to forage afterwards but then left right after.
Verlool
[Nov 4, 2008 7:01:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LubJenneh

A Video Of The Cursed Isles
Verlool
[Nov 4, 2008 7:50:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
yaypuzzlez

A Video Of The Cursed Isles

Thank you.
I am Capberry | Rumbleboy.

Retired.
[Nov 4, 2008 7:55:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
alksy3

few questions

When you sink a raft/cutter/sloop, can you treasure haul their wrecks?

Does the gas move around?

Did you REALLY get 600k on a dhow? That's insane.
Bandwagon-Sage

Joccai wrote: 
if you weren't such a ploodiling greifwanderer

[Nov 4, 2008 8:02:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LubJenneh

When you sink a raft/cutter/sloop, can you treasure haul their wrecks?

Not the rafts, but the cutters and sloops you can.

Does the gas move around?

Yes

All booty is exaggerated on Ice, but yes he did,
Verlool
[Nov 4, 2008 8:06:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IceSpeed

What kind of rewards are the chests containing? Im curious to know...
Gameplay on Midnight ( and most oceans )
Gleeful and Taio on Sage
Buoyant on Malachite
Gleeful on Ice
[Nov 4, 2008 8:31:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LubJenneh

What kind of rewards are the chests containing? Im curious to know...

Same as Atlantis, except because of Ice more PoE.
Verlool
[Nov 4, 2008 8:43:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IceSpeed

Hmm, I think we should all keep playing till we get some karks going over here :P
Gameplay on Midnight ( and most oceans )
Gleeful and Taio on Sage
Buoyant on Malachite
Gleeful on Ice
[Nov 4, 2008 8:46:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jolyma

All officers in the crew have access to the Stay (and fight) or Leave (with foraged booty) buttons. If one pushes leave, everyone is ordered back to the ship, even if others push stay. Not sure I like that random officers can do that, but, demotion can fix that.

You leave the island in the same shape you go in. So if you have no moves, and have damage when you go in, you can be surrounded and DITW when you come out, then bye bye ship.

Rafts touch you and sink, but, the witches come on board. One small shot will sink the rafts. They come from the land surrounded by arrows.

I am just overwhelmed with awesomeness right now. I will be testing more tomorrow.
Jolyma

[Nov 4, 2008 9:30:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ikketje

Something about the island I haven't seen mentioned yet: We did 4 frays on the island and lost the last one (they DO get harder). As far as I could tell, we didn't lose any treasure because of it, on the contrary: I looked at the chests when the battle was still going and once back on the ship after the lost fray, there were a few more.

Need follow-up on this. To me it wasn't very clear how exactly we got the chests, some came from winning frays, others from foraging. I would love to have seen a DutyReport of some sort to see how many chests were contributed by each person, and how many by frays.
Ikke on Meridian and Emerald
Veerle on Cerulean

~Avatar by Velternal
[Nov 5, 2008 1:00:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

I had thought that the chests received at the end of a fray were all those we'd foraged since the last fray. But yes, some sort of a DR (rather than the "session not rated" message) would be nice =)
[Nov 5, 2008 1:20:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ikketje

I had thought that the chests received at the end of a fray were all those we'd foraged since the last fray. But yes, some sort of a DR (rather than the "session not rated" message) would be nice =)

You might be right, but I'm not sure, so I went digging in chatlogs:

First battle rumble [won]: nothing

2nd battle SF [won]:
[03:29:45] Ye have taken aboard 3 Lockers!
[03:29:45] Ye have taken aboard 41 Chests!

3rd battle rumble [won]:
[03:36:29] Ye have taken aboard 1 Treasure boxs!
[03:36:29] Ye have taken aboard 9 Lockers!
[03:36:29] Ye have taken aboard 33 Chests!

4th battle SF [I think we lost, we WERE losing badly but I stopped watching]
[03:45:30] Ye have taken aboard 3 Lockers!
[03:45:30] Ye have taken aboard 9 Chests!

Winning nothing over first fray matches your theory, that you only receive the chests you foraged (since the forage puzzle comes after the fray). But what happened at the last fray doesn't make sense to me in that scenario... you still get your chests even if you lose the fray (allthough there's not many chests for that forage-session, if you compare to the one prior to that; maybe because the loss we only received a portion of what we actually foraged?). What's the point of the frays if you wouldn't lose something, somehow... At first we thought we were gonna lose everything we got.
Ikke on Meridian and Emerald
Veerle on Cerulean

~Avatar by Velternal
[Nov 5, 2008 4:18:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Estam

Seriously, will somebody tell me what are there to be excited about the Cursed Isles?
<-- My avatar no longer reads: Everyone Wants to be a Pirate Even Avatarless Forumer

...soli Deo gloria...
[Nov 5, 2008 4:20:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

A multi-ship environment with punctuated "other activity" where you don't need to use a frigate to survive. Bye bye Atlantis, it was fun, but I hated having to be on those giant ships.
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Nov 5, 2008 4:42:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

That 600k on a dhow was due to a bug. At one point last night, everything froze up, the turn hour glass stopped draining, ships stopped moving etc. On our ship, we were stuck out in the water and ran up over 21 move tokens of each kind (70+ total), the other ship got lucky and was stuck in foraging.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Nov 5, 2008 5:28:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Siggy

Would it be a safe assumption that the new maneuver token comes with 9 more trophies?
Sig

Owner: Sig Supply Network

What happens when you beat whiny sword fighters with overpowered trash swords...

Imcolorblind auto-responds, "sig hacks sf :) try and see".

[Nov 5, 2008 5:36:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    JPINFV [Link]  Go to top 
Maialiana

Has anyone tried to see what happens when two ships are on the same Cursed Isle at the same time? Is it possible to join forces in the frays?

I'm glad to see that having the ship overtaken with zombies doesn't mean doom for the ship like it often does in Atlantis. Please don't change that!

I'm also guessing that the best strategy at the moment is to pretend yer on a merchant run, and completely avoid the fog, rafts and other ships as much as possible, run for the isle. Make sure ye have enough sail tokens built up before ye enter the isle, and then avoid everything again on yer way out.

XXX greeter chats, "wat is this chat for than anyway"
YYYY greeter chats, "idk its just that theres 1 rule and that we arnt alowd to chat in

[Nov 5, 2008 6:53:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hai=/=Hi, Hai=Yes [Link]  Go to top 
jlh0605

Would it be a safe assumption that the new maneuver token comes with 9 more trophies?

Could someone please explain more about the new maneuver token to me please? (I can't play Ice because I'm a poor college student.. :P)
~Jamesh on Emerald

Galene tells ye, "You are awesome."
[Nov 5, 2008 7:26:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Loren_S

Could someone detail on the benefits of cursed isles, atlantis and floatillas (maybe BK-blockades) in comparison?

My current impression is that CIs have everything that atlantis has but more. Especialy the missing loadtime for bigships is missing, so what aspect of atlantis will keep that part of the game active?

Same question for floatillas, which at least have the benefit of no badge.
And same for BK-blockades that have the multi (player) ship aspect.

Another question:
What happens if you enter the island multibletimes? I understand it does not go away if you exit?
Even if: Does the fray-difficulty start at the lowest again or where you left off?
CoatOSilver, Captain of Forget About It, Retired King of ©©©, Sage
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Loren_S at Nov 5, 2008 7:36:06 AM]
[Nov 5, 2008 7:30:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Adarx

Also, are the cursed Islands sinking or non-sinking? I assume it is sinking, but just to be sure can someone confirm this?
Bananajoe on the Emerald ocean !
[Nov 5, 2008 8:51:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
treepirate88

Has anyone tried to see what happens when two ships are on the same Cursed Isle at the same time? Is it possible to join forces in the frays?

I'm also guessing that the best strategy at the moment is to pretend yer on a merchant run, and completely avoid the fog, rafts and other ships as much as possible, run for the isle. Make sure ye have enough sail tokens built up before ye enter the isle, and then avoid everything again on yer way out.

Each ship gets it's own 4th dimension if you will. They get their own island.

And yes, it does seem like it will be more or less a merchant run of sorts. The board really isn't for moving around and trying to sink ships. Although the one caveat is that whoever you have on your ship better be good at rumble and swordfighting. The better they are, the more chests you can get.
Expendable - Malachite
Lock it up.
Apollo says, "Expendable, I will now spank you with extreme prejudice"
[Nov 5, 2008 9:01:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hermes
Developer

Need follow-up on this. To me it wasn't very clear how exactly we got the chests, some came from winning frays, others from foraging. I would love to have seen a DutyReport of some sort to see how many chests were contributed by each person, and how many by frays.

You earn chests from each round of foraging, which are then put at risk in the very next fray. From your own example...

3rd battle rumble [won]:

Note how much more you got in the previous round than you did in the one you lost. You're correct, however, that this isn't displayed clearly at the moment: some sort of duty report or other scoreboard is on our list.

Also, are the cursed Islands sinking or non-sinking? I assume it is sinking, but just to be sure can someone confirm this?

They are a Sea Monster zone, and thus sinking.
[Nov 5, 2008 9:04:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
JStuntgamer

Just a thought:

When Cursed Isles gets released on production oceans, will the forage part count as labor?
Tarsius

Accordin' t' Admiralty Law, piracy be th' UNLAWFUL seizure of a vessel and/or its cargo upon the high seas. We all be just honest mariners engagin' in a bit o' commerce raidin' and salvage. :D
[Nov 5, 2008 9:56:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gaftes

You earn chests from each round of foraging, which are then put at risk in the very next fray. From your own example...

3rd battle rumble [won]:

Note how much more you got in the previous round than you did in the one you lost. You're correct, however, that this isn't displayed clearly at the moment: some sort of duty report or other scoreboard is on our list.

They are a Sea Monster zone, and thus sinking.

Ye but then why would you ever choose to leave the island?
If you still get chests from losing there is no penalty for staying and losing.

Which would mean you just stay til you lose and sail out.
[Nov 5, 2008 10:11:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hermes
Developer

Ye but then why would you ever choose to leave the island?
If you still get chests from losing there is no penalty for staying and losing.

You'd end up with more chests by choosing to leave at the right time, instead of staying and losing. Losing a fray costs you chests. Choosing to retreat is the same as 'cashing out'.
[Nov 5, 2008 10:21:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Losing a fray costs you chests.

RLY? :O
Didn't knew that :(

Oh and also, sinking costs you chests too.
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Nov 5, 2008 10:29:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hermes
Developer

Good feedback here, mates, but I'm going to direct traffic over to here for now. Har!
[Nov 5, 2008 10:52:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates