• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 30
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 13239 times and has 29 replies Next Thread
Flak_88

War Frig vs Grand Frig Reply to this Post

There seems to be nothing in the forums that address this subject. The War Frig and Grand Frig seem to have equal firepower. Other than additional bodies for a SF, does the Grand Frig have any other advantage over a War Frig, like perhaps taking more damage? This is assuming each is adequately manned.

I'm insane and one of these will be my first ship, and I aim to have one just because I can. Maybe some of you blockade veterans can enlighten me.
----------------------------------------
Flakcannon, on all English Oceans, except that imposter on Malachite.
Farming, cleaning up your poo, and making you drink it.
[Sep 7, 2004 8:42:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    habhabhabhab [Link]  Go to top 
AquaDrake

Re: War Frig vs Grand Frig Reply to this Post

WF gets three movement slots (i believe), GF gets two movement slots (I'm certain).

GF takes more damage.

GF has more gunning stations, so you reload your shots faster.

GF carries more people.

GF will have a tourney board, sometime, soon, some day

GF needs more people doing carp and bilge to maintain it.

GF can have even more people doing carp and bilge above the maintenence level, so they can recover from the smaller amounts of damage faster than a WF can.

GF's ramming ability is impressive :-).

Oh, and a GF can carry 4 sloops like a carrier plane :-)
(Where's that graphic image? How do you search for a graphic?)
Maybe "historical" dragons were pterosaurs?
http://www.livescience.com/animals/090107-pterosaur-flight.html

"No plain fanfold paper could hold that fractal Puff --
He grew so fast no plotting pack could shrink him far enough.&quot
[Sep 7, 2004 8:57:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
altmerman55

War firgates can move 3 tiles per turn while grand frigates can only move two, so that is a significant advantage. Other than that, grand frigates just have more ramming power I believe, so when you ram another ship with one it will cause more damage. Probably more guns also.

EDIT: And what Aquadrake said.
[size=10]Sheo says, "We're duking it out after this"
Peax says, "With great pleasure."
Feegle says, "You guys DO know that it's the arguing, and not the poe or blood, that convinces me to come along on your pillages, right?"

[Sep 7, 2004 8:58:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Sheo55 [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

The Influence Radius on a Grand Frigate is like a freaking huge guy.
[Sep 7, 2004 9:06:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Flak_88

Ok thanks, Aquadrake summed up what 2 hours of forum searches couldn't. Now just have to figure if 65k more and the inability to staff the Grand is worth it.

One more question, I've seen the above deck pictures, how many sloops fit below deck? :-)
Flakcannon, on all English Oceans, except that imposter on Malachite.
Farming, cleaning up your poo, and making you drink it.
[Sep 7, 2004 9:33:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    habhabhabhab [Link]  Go to top 
Vurogj

The ship sizes in pictures for ye. and page two has the GF carryin' 4 sloops picture.

EDIT : also found this list o' stations per ship size, which is kinda cute and useful.
Older, crankier,
still haz da phat haiku skillz.
Tawnee on Midnight.
Apollo says, "Tawnee, I should have known you were involved."
[Sep 7, 2004 10:22:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    vurogj    vurojg [Link]  Go to top 
Yawl

I no longer have access to either, but for when you're in port, I seem to also recall that the War Frig does not have a brawling table, while the Grand Frigate does.
Prometheus wrote: 
Brigands haven't changed. If they changed we would tell you. Brigands haven't changed. If they changed we would tell you. Brigands haven *bzzt* -wirr-

[Sep 9, 2004 5:20:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oorlian

And of course:

A Grand Frigate carries two and a half times as much cargo as a War Frigate.
I make my way across the sea, upon a mighty brig,
Searching for something lost to me: a pirate-worthy sig.
[Sep 9, 2004 5:35:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.kevan.org/brain.cgi?Oorlian    Oorlian [Link]  Go to top 
altmerman55

And twice as many bodies...I mean human beings.
[size=10]Sheo says, "We're duking it out after this"
Peax says, "With great pleasure."
Feegle says, "You guys DO know that it's the arguing, and not the poe or blood, that convinces me to come along on your pillages, right?"

[Sep 9, 2004 6:34:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Sheo55 [Link]  Go to top 
Oorlian

Odd. Both my War Frigate and Grand Frigate only have room for me, my gunner (Hi Inuki!) and 4 SF decoys...er...swabbies.
[Sep 9, 2004 6:42:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.kevan.org/brain.cgi?Oorlian    Oorlian [Link]  Go to top 
Whitefire

I personally would choose a WF over a GF any day. The 2 tokens per turn restrictions makes it a sitting duck and nullifies any advantages it might have.
[Sep 9, 2004 7:06:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oorlian

This probably moves into Game Design, but would allowing the GF to shoot triple shots make up for the disadvantage of having 2 moves/turn?

Fitzchivalry, aka StinkyMagoo, aka Dr Nooyan von Fock gets props for mentioning the idea to me, but it seems he only posts to take obtuse jabs at me.

edit: spelling
[Sep 9, 2004 7:40:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.kevan.org/brain.cgi?Oorlian    Oorlian [Link]  Go to top 
shagie

In pillages, you'd be taking the GF against another GF or WF so 2 vs 2 moves is still 'fair' and 2 vs 3 moves is awkward, but still doable. The key a vessel crewed to the point where it would overflow a war frigate. If you can't overflow a war frigate, its probably better to take the war frigate than a grand frigate.

In blockades, you would protect the GF with war brigs and cutters. A GF in a blockade is there for flag control or denial of a wide area. Just like in a modern navy you have a carrier group around a carrier to protect the carrier you would have some smaller ships around the grand frigate to help protect it in cases where it is out manuvered.
[Sep 9, 2004 8:04:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shagie

Oorlian wrote: 
This probably moves into Game Design, but would allowing the GF to shoot triple shots make up for the disadvantage of having 2 moves/turn?

Fitzchivalry, aka StinkyMagoo, aka Dr Nooyan von Fock gets props for mentioning the idea to me, but it seems he only posts to take obtuse jabs at me.

edit: spelling

Quite likely (-- the thread that is, I don't believe that tripple shot would make up for the lack of manuverability when a war brig could sail circles around you and stay away from your broadside) though since I can't split threads... I'd like to see a grand frigate be able to fire a single medium in the front (and/or aft?) (4 ball loadable - 2 shootable/round). Not significant against another large ship where you're facing broadsides but something enough to make small ships think twice about sailing too close in some situations.
[Sep 9, 2004 8:11:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Pillagingwise, I'd rather have a War Frigate. Blockadewise, I'd rather have a Grand Frigate (if you negate the body restrictions). That's to say, if I have a choice between a well manned War Frigate and a well manned Grand Frigate in a Blockade, I'd take the Grand Frigate by far.
[Sep 9, 2004 12:48:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

That said, if you had a choice between two well-manned War Frigates, and one well-manned Grand Frigate, which would you choose? ;)
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Sep 12, 2004 12:14:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Shur, make my day and tell me you meant to reference Boondock Saints with that?
[Sep 12, 2004 12:18:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Oorlian

54x wrote: 
That said, if you had a choice between two well-manned War Frigates, and one well-manned Grand Frigate, which would you choose? ;)

The Grand Frigate. It carries more commods than two War Frigates.

What? We're not doing a trade run? I don't understand...
[Sep 13, 2004 6:22:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.kevan.org/brain.cgi?Oorlian    Oorlian [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

54x wrote: 

That depends on who's Naving the other boat.

Devonin wrote: 

Shur, make my day and tell me you meant to reference Boondock Saints with that?

Why don't you make like a tree... and get the scupper out of here!
[Sep 13, 2004 7:05:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CaptGuybrush

Imagine the front of the Grand Frig opening up like in that James Bond movie and a sloop full of remote plastic explosives and lazers being piloted by Hades (who would just laugh at the explosion and resulting doom) just meandering out and crashing into an opposing Grand Frig.

/me drools
Lapen
Hubby of Starqt

"I am no longer a lawyer....I am now Keen, Eyebrow Raiser" - Keen, Attorney at Law
[Sep 17, 2004 2:07:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Shuranthae wrote: 
Pillagingwise, I'd rather have a War Frigate. Blockadewise, I'd rather have a Grand Frigate (if you negate the body restrictions). That's to say, if I have a choice between a well manned War Frigate and a well manned Grand Frigate in a Blockade, I'd take the Grand Frigate by far.

Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Sep 17, 2004 3:19:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

And btw, since a Grand Frigate only has 16 Bilge stations that caps it's optimizing crew at about 70-75. So it's more like three War Brigs or one War Frig and one War Brig instead of two War Frigs.
[Sep 18, 2004 2:16:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sr4delta

hey wait im about shure grand frigs can moove 3 times cuz i was on a pillage (jobing[dont u dare call me a poor jobber{i have a war brig}])

maby they changed it in a patch
im about positive on this

oh and btw im saving for a war frig too at 24k ^^
mistersmite,call me smite (please, calling someone mister just sounds dumb)
cobalt
[Feb 19, 2006 8:31:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    sr4delta [Link]  Go to top 
maadneet

Mind the bump.

It is possible that, at one time, they may have only had 2 movement spaces. (I'm not sure, I haven't been on Y!PP that long.) However, currently the max movmement tokens per turn does appear to be 3 now.
Maadneet on all oceans
[Feb 19, 2006 8:40:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/listrecentthreads [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

*Bump*

Some changes were made since those earlier posts.

GF's move was upped from two per turn to three per turn.
Good luck generating three tokens per turn on your sails.

They still only have double large shot, so their offensive firepower equals the WF.

They have the ability to carry twice as many people as needed, giving more bodied in SF.

At one point, AI Bots in fully loaded GF's were known to timeout before entering the puzzle. That may have been on older hardware.

EDIT: Of course I'm sniped.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Edit 1 times, last edit by BehindCurtai at Feb 19, 2006 8:43:50 PM]
[Feb 19, 2006 8:42:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
sr4delta

lol

good luck generating 3 tokens per turn

i guess ur right, sometimes i cant make 2 on a sloop lol
cobalt
[Feb 22, 2006 8:14:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    sr4delta [Link]  Go to top 
sr4delta

i just got a war frig and i did some of study on them on YPP

the only reasom Gfrigs are better is because of their SF capacity
defilatly not worth 60k more
they only take 5 more shots to sink and 3 more to max the SF
and its insane enugh getting tokens on a Wfrig i cant even imagine the sailors it would take on a Gfrig then again picking off sloops in a blockade is quite fun but u can do it just as fun with a Wfrig
/shout RAMMING SPEED >=D
cobalt
[Mar 15, 2006 6:52:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    sr4delta [Link]  Go to top 
cpt_matt_w

Grand frig also has more capacity so it would be more useful to merchants. But it kinda slow and you need alot of ppl to work it.
Duffy - Captain Of Griterio Sirenas and King Of Black Fortune

"Whats a pirate if he or she can't swim"
[Jul 24, 2007 3:14:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
UMbvelalVl

I have 2 reasons to say GF is much better than WF. One-- note this only applies for pillies-- the GF can hold twice as much a WF, and in this event that it get maxed and wf completely ok, the 157 ppl on GF with half a board equals a wf- about 75 ppl, of full boards.
Two-- i know this wasn't like this when u psotd-- now GF can also move 3 moves.
Viridian Ocean-Isaacmulhall
Malachite Ocean-Isaacmulhall
Bang! Howdy- Tactic Ian
[Jun 16, 2008 2:05:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vorky

Mind the near 1 year bump of another 1 year bump.

These days it is near impossible to get enough people to man a Grand Frigate even on the busiest ocean.
[Jun 16, 2008 3:02:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates