• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 23
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4957 times and has 22 replies Next Thread
SeattleBrian

Ice production Reply to this Post

I used to enjoy popping in on ice every once in a while and testing out new stuff. But it is getting to become a chore to maintain my pirates on Ice. Commodity spawning used to be ramped up a little extra on ice, so people could get stuff fast to test out building new ships, clothes, furniture, etc. Now production appears to be like a normal ocean, which is a pain. It also seems that brigand payout has been going lower and lower. When Lizthegrey maintained the ocean, it seemed to be an area for actually testing, now it just seems like a normal ocean that just gets releases first. I'd like to see Ice go back to being a place where new features can be tested quickly.
[Oct 21, 2008 3:57:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ellopoppet

Re: Ice production Reply to this Post

Agreed, time to wipe ice and start fresh!
----------------------------------------
~Athens~ Hunter

Want to know who makes my avatars?
[Oct 21, 2008 4:03:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hooha123

Wiping ice is not the way to go, i would say mabye make it less time to produce stuff on the ocean, or something like that.
Blondlady Of Colbalt
Blondlady of Ice
[Oct 21, 2008 5:30:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IceSpeed

To tell you the truth, I don't think I would mind a wipe.
Gameplay on Midnight ( and most oceans )
Gleeful and Taio on Sage
Buoyant on Malachite
Gleeful on Ice
[Oct 21, 2008 9:17:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Issaica

To tell you the truth, I don't think I would mind a wipe.

I wouldn't either. Maybe they could make Atlantis on Ice more suitable, instead of basically what we get on production oceans.
Mathieujg - Ice
Mathieujg - Cobalt
[Oct 21, 2008 10:21:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Cleaver wrote: 
Although we hope that players will establish a vibrant, if small, community and economy on Ice, it will be subject to instability and it may be necessary to perform wipes. We will try to avoid such, but be warned that they may happen.

Wiping Ice when there is no real reason to do so (the situation in the OP is hardly a reason) goes against Cleaver's quote here. This gives me the impression that Ice will not be wiped unless it is unavoidable (bug causes the economy to go haywire, for instance). Seeing as the last wipe was done to eliminate the effects of doubloons on the economy, I don't think Ice will be wiped just because people want it wiped.

Also, I just did a barbarian battle on Ice. Green ship, labeled Imperial but the labels mislead on Ice. 1221 poe payout. This is about on par with my typical experience.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Thunderbird at Oct 21, 2008 11:15:27 PM]
[Oct 21, 2008 11:00:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Trogo1

1. Islands have bugs on them making them unsuitable to be blockaded on
2. Put testing ideas into Ice, (like the ones in the Game Design), remove, configure, or add them into production oceans after they're all tweaked.
3. Open more islands :D
Trogo on Viridian.
[Oct 23, 2008 8:26:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mennik

Put testing ideas into Ice, (like the ones in the Game Design), remove, configure, or add them into production oceans after they're all tweaked.

lol its not so easy to create something they already work ful time and more then 1 month what would it be whit all the ideas then :p
mennik-sage/ice
needle-ice
and nick-man4 on all other communitys
[Oct 23, 2008 10:29:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Trogo1

If they don't have time to make new stuffs then what's the point of Ice?
Trogo on Viridian.
[Oct 23, 2008 6:08:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
grizzlyly

Lol, their always working on something new mate so you can chill
Kickhead on Hunter

Kickie forced Clotho to walk the plank.
Clotho has left the vessel.

[Oct 24, 2008 3:42:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hooha123

or they could just be working on fixxing things.
Blondlady Of Colbalt
Blondlady of Ice
[Oct 24, 2008 7:10:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SeattleBrian

My point isn't that people need to be able to make more labor/hour on ice. I've never found labor to be a problem on Ice, just call all your friends from another ocean to come take a job and idle work for you. The problem is getting enough of the commodities to make new furniture/clothes/etc in the 1 day or so it takes for new things on Ice to go live. Perhaps if things could be tested faster on Ice, we wouldn't be having all these quick bug fixes 2 hours after a production release.
[Oct 25, 2008 12:02:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

If Ice gets wiped, I want my rename to stay with me. At the end the trade was legitimate!!! :'(
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Oct 25, 2008 5:01:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Commodity spawning used to be ramped up a little extra on ice, so people could get stuff fast to test out building new ships, clothes, furniture, etc. Now production appears to be like a normal ocean, which is a pain.

Last time I paid attention, the common's had a "target value" of about half the normal, and uncommons and rares at about 1/10th normal. This means that if you offered "normal ocean" rates for commodities, they would respond very, very quickly.

The nature of dynamic spawn means that the stable point of commodities being supplied as fast as they are consumed will be reached. If Ice seems to have the same commodity production rate as normal oceans, it is because people are offering the target values for the items.

As always, if you want more, spend more.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Oct 25, 2008 9:41:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
SeattleBrian

Last time I paid attention, the common's had a "target value" of about half the normal, and uncommons and rares at about 1/10th normal. This means that if you offered "normal ocean" rates for commodities, they would respond very, very quickly.

That is my point, the "target value" now seems to be the same as production oceans, and not the 1/10th normal.
[Oct 26, 2008 3:30:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

And your evidence would be, what?
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Oct 26, 2008 3:32:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
tkp42

Did someone mention wipe?

Do eet. I'll miss teh Crookshankses, but Ice just isn't worth my time any more.
Tonya+nator
Claiming poker ruined the game since 2006
[Oct 27, 2008 4:45:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://ice.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/pirate.wm?target=Tonyanator [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

And your evidence would be, what?

Lets look at Shatterstone's demand:

Sugar: 1750@7-8
Hemp: 2200@6
Iron: 800@11, ~9000@10 (yeish!)
Wood: >1300@23, ~3000@22

So "commons" are at full price, and higher demand than I've seen on ice.

Minerals:
Lorandite: 160@1106 (wtf??)
Leushite: 130@1000
Tell: 1600@14
Chalc: 400@432
Papa: 150@608
Masu: 280@616

Papa and Lorandite look low priced, but very high demand (bottom of price curve).
Leushite looks a little low in price, but not by much.
Masu is about half of what I'd expect, and again a very high demand

This demand is crazy -- it's like normal ocean stocking. You don't get this demand unless you're at the bottom of the price curve, stocking up for the next two months worth of demand, and with demand like that, and slowing supply, I'm expecting to see prices skyrocket in the next week.

Heck, there's 200 gold nuggets being demanded. Where's the foraging armies?
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Nov 2, 2008 9:06:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Re: Ice revenues Reply to this Post

Thanks for the due diligence on the demand question.

But let's talk about revenue. It still remains to be seen if booty payouts are really as bad as claimed. I can usually swish around for three battles and make bank while people beg to get me into a poker table.

The tournament fountains sure have been dry lately. It used to be, what, every hour we'd get 2000 eights? It kept me logged in for the better part of a day, just waiting to hop into tiny contests. My carousing stats are rock-bottom, so I have no chance of winning those in a production ocean.

But, as usual, the best way to a steady income is labor. Cobalt, Midnight, I'm talking to you. Go to Ice, take three jobs, and stay un-dormant. You will have tons of money in pocket because shoppes tend to pay generously, and have high demand. Doublooners, all you need is one month to take jobs. Then let your subscription lapse, if you wish. You can keep those jobs by staying active; puzzle once every ten days if needed.

With dynamic spawning, there should be no obstacle to filling orders fast, as long as you're willing and able to pay more.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Edit 1 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Nov 3, 2008 4:14:26 AM]
[Nov 3, 2008 3:54:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

If they don't have time to make new stuffs then what's the point of Ice?

The point is to test features on a smaller scale before releasing them to the full scale, not somewhere to play scientist guess and check with GD ideas (at least half of which are dumb). Most, if not all, features that hit Ice are ready for production oceans.

They have time to make new features, they just take a while. Also, as has been echoed many times, fixing existing issues is more important than cranking out new content.
[removed by SOPA]
[Nov 4, 2008 5:29:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
2cucry

So Like most of us who like to drop in from time to time to test things out on Ice (not to be confused as ICE, so I was told). Some players actually make the Ice ocean their home, and are "put out" that pirates from other oceans come to "Ice" to check things out. I had a really good chuckle, as a pirate in paticular who is the head monarch of a flag explained to me as if I were a greenie that they don't want us on "their" ocean. Which of course made me cry in laughter. In any case I lost my head and jumped on greeter chat to see if anyone was testing the new updates. Wow!!! Seriously, LOL I've been on greeter chat in other oceans but Ice (not to be confused as ICE) lol it was really interesting to say the least. If anything the players that play on "Ice" are very entertaining. Thank you for tears streaming down my eyes laughing so hard.

So I hope some day sooner then later "Ice" does get wiped so actual testers can actually do just that TEST.... LMAO let the flaming begin.....
Anderson

Captain of the crew The Bluenoser's
Admiral of the Navy

Matrix says

"if you really wanna be loved try beat andy in ANYTHING, please were running out of ideas"

[Nov 6, 2008 12:20:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hooha123

well greeter on ice is used to talk over all the ocean and we just have fun little talks over it, we are not upset that you all are comming to our ocean its nice to get more then 1 ships filled lol. What we are saying is we dont like it how people like you come to ice and think you own the place.
Blondlady Of Colbalt
Blondlady of Ice
[Nov 6, 2008 3:38:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
2cucry

well greeter on ice is used to talk over all the ocean and we just have fun little talks over it, we are not upset that you all are comming to our ocean its nice to get more then 1 ships filled lol. What we are saying is we dont like it how people like you come to ice and think you own the place.

Seriously.. LMAO Ice is for testing Purposes, We come to Ice to test future mechanisms that will be introduced in Game. We don't come to ice to degrade people and talk about how we're better then anyone else in the ocean and that our ocean is better this ocean etc. The MAJORITY of People do go to Ice for T E S T I N G. :)

VOTED # 1 Jerk Several Years ago and Proud of it!!!!!!
Anderson

Captain of the crew The Bluenoser's
Admiral of the Navy

Matrix says

"if you really wanna be loved try beat andy in ANYTHING, please were running out of ideas"

[Nov 6, 2008 4:14:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates