• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 67
Posts: 67   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11142 times and has 66 replies Next Thread
Hooha123

Re: Ice Release 10/10 - 10/13 Reply to this Post

That's the point - a good gunner can deal with a horrible board. A less-than-good one would abandon, and should suffer for doing so.

Yeah so you going to punish people who are not good gunners? some people need to learn to gun so you want it to be harder for them to do so. yeah really smart
----------------------------------------
Blondlady Of Colbalt
Blondlady of Ice
[Nov 1, 2008 10:56:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Grinfish

My point was that there are 4 guns per board, with the intent of you loading

All 4 of them initially;

Each gun emptied, as and when it is fired.

2 gun and hop is a technique that developed not because that was the intended gameplay, but because it was a good way to "work" the stats.
Whitewyvern. Distinctly Limey.
Retired, No regrets.
Unretired, still No regrets.
Available in Cerulean and Obsidian flavours.

Briggs wrote: 
StuManchu puts the "sensual" back in "Nonconsensual"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Grinfish at Nov 1, 2008 2:57:59 PM]
[Nov 1, 2008 2:57:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Issaica

My point was that there are 4 guns per board, with the intent of you loading

All 4 of them initially;

Each gun emptied, as and when it is fired.

2 gun and hop is a technique that developed not because that was the intended gameplay, but because it was a good way to "work" the stats.

IF this is so, how do you explain the high rank gunners keeping their rank when they do SMHs, Flotillas, and Blockades where even they will stay on the board to load all 4?
Mathieujg - Ice
Mathieujg - Cobalt
[Nov 1, 2008 7:12:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

IF this is so, how do you explain the high rank gunners keeping their rank when they do SMHs, Flotillas, and Blockades where even they will stay on the board to load all 4?

Because they are good puzzlers, and don't need to rely on a crutch to keep their standing up.

Also, AFAIK, the two-gun-twostep was popularized on big ships, when COs realized that manning every single gun station was a waste of jobbers.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Nov 1, 2008 7:46:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Tdeathblake

Quite often its quicker to abandon a station and get a fresh set than to fill those two difficult guns, especially when the navver is needing them filled. It's not just about stats, its about loading the guns
Tdeathblake (Thinks he's the main)
Homunculus (Knows he's the main)

Give a man a fish and he''ll eat for a day, give a fish a man and he''ll eat for weeks.

Homemade avatar
[Nov 2, 2008 1:41:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Grinfish

I don't know if you can all see it, but you're arguing precisely the reason gunning still doesn't quite work. There is a conflict of interest between the Gunning Puzzle and the Gunning Requirements of the player(s) - or at least, there SHOULD be, hence why Gunning is still in need of work. Ideally, the best situation should be that loading all 4 guns (then each gun as it empties) is the best way to play the puzzle, and the best way to load efficiently. An average ship should require each gun board to be manned. Hopping from one board to another should be an activity only practiced by very good gunners on an understaffed ship - after all, how many sailors, carpenters and bilgers benefit so significantly from switching to a different station of the same discipline mid-battle? Does that benefit the ship?

Gunning is still essentially b0rked, but the changes are a step in the right direction at least.
Whitewyvern. Distinctly Limey.
Retired, No regrets.
Unretired, still No regrets.
Available in Cerulean and Obsidian flavours.

Briggs wrote: 
StuManchu puts the "sensual" back in "Nonconsensual"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Grinfish at Nov 2, 2008 5:18:01 AM]
[Nov 2, 2008 5:17:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Re: Nothing to do with Ice testing anymore Reply to this Post

Grinfish is correct as usual, except in terminology, the 'Gunning Puzzle' is not so much a puzzle as a video game. My hat's off to video gamers who can pull Incredibles there, and they're always welcome on my ship. Because I can pull Incredible on any shipboard activity except guns, where I rate about a Fine.

And my plea to the developers is this: don't bother tweaking guns anymore. You have bigger fish to fry with Adventures and Cursed Islands. This kind of rehashed late-parrot-beating doesn't need to be in Ice Discussion anymore, so you might want to lock this thread before it gets seriously lolcatted into absurdity ;)
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Edit 1 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Nov 2, 2008 8:20:45 PM]
[Nov 2, 2008 8:20:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 67   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates