• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 23
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5891 times and has 22 replies Next Thread
JCorrado

Questions from a new officer Reply to this Post

Ahoy! Thank ye for taking the time to look at this, and thank ye even more if ye take the time to respond.

Question #1: I've noticed that there are 3 types of cannonballs, and I assume that large shots do more damage than smaller ones. Can any ship fire any cannon? Or do only larger ships get to fire larger cannon?

Question #2: If I wanted to put a bid in on a commodity at a Market, and I don't have a shop or warehouse there- do I need to leave a ship to hold the goods until the bid is fulfilled, or do I just need to show up with a ship at some point after my bid is completed? And if the latter, is there a point after which the good get lost from neglect?

Question #3: I know there are several different Archipelagos. Is there any sort of difficulty attached to them? I.E.- are the fights harder in Ruby than they are at Diamond?

Question #4: A sloop gets 4 swabbies if'n you don't have other players on board (or if the other players are green). Do other ships get more swabbies, or is it kind of pathetic and pointless to solo on a War Brig? ("Germy George, you handle the twenty guns; Cheery Charlie, you handle the thirty bilge pumps; Ludicrous Louie, you run the sails, and I'll take the hammer.")

Thank ye again!
Johncorsair
Stumbling Officer of Alpha Gigi
----------------------------------------
Johncorsair.

Watch this sig file for future signatures!
[Aug 31, 2004 10:55:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dorel

Re: Questions from a new officer Reply to this Post

JCorrado wrote: 
Question #1: I've noticed that there are 3 types of cannonballs, and I assume that large shots do more damage than smaller ones. Can any ship fire any cannon? Or do only larger ships get to fire larger cannon?

Aye, different sizes of shot do different amount of damage, but you can't load any type of shot on any ship. The type of shot used by each ship is :
Small cbs : sloop, cutter
Medium cbs : Merchant Brig, War Brig
Large cbs : Merchant Galleon, War Frigate, Grand Frigate

Question #2: If I wanted to put a bid in on a commodity at a Market, and I don't have a shop or warehouse there- do I need to leave a ship to hold the goods until the bid is fulfilled, or do I just need to show up with a ship at some point after my bid is completed? And if the latter, is there a point after which the good get lost from neglect?

I'm afraid I can't answer that one, but I'm sure someone else will be able to.

Question #3: I know there are several different Archipelagos. Is there any sort of difficulty attached to them? I.E.- are the fights harder in Ruby than they are at Diamond?

There are differences in difficulty in the brigands, but these are associated to the routes, and not the archipelagos. However, archs like Ruby have a lot of difficult routes, hence making it a difficult arch.

Question #4: A sloop gets 4 swabbies if'n you don't have other players on board (or if the other players are green). Do other ships get more swabbies, or is it kind of pathetic and pointless to solo on a War Brig? ("Germy George, you handle the twenty guns; Cheery Charlie, you handle the thirty bilge pumps; Ludicrous Louie, you run the sails, and I'll take the hammer.")

You only get three swabbies on a sloop, four on any other ship. This makes soloing on anything else except a sloop difficult to do. Plus, swabbies can't load guns.
Hermes wrote: 
Gather round, folks, for the Ballad of Dorel the Invulnerable!
silverkitty wrote: 
The ocean is dangerous, bring a lifejacket.

[Aug 31, 2004 11:10:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    CeeJayDorel [Link]  Go to top 
ivazquez

JCorrado wrote: 

You can bring a ship around after the bid is filled. I've never seen an order decay though.
Indeed wrote: 
You people are like hare krishnas. What do i have to do , beat you over the head?

[Aug 31, 2004 11:14:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jasandrea

JCorrado wrote: 

Larger ships fire larger cannon. Specifically, sloops and cutters fire small. Brigs, merchant and war, fire medium. Galleons, and frigates, war and grand, fire large.

You need only return your ship to that port when you want to deliver your order. You can bid for more goods than you space for, as well, and when you deliver the order, it'll only give you what you have room for at the time, and leave the rest in the market to be picked up later.

Ruby is the hardest of the archs, but individual routes within archs have different ratings. The best source of information on which is which is Diamondblade's map of the midnight ocean, stickied at the top of this forum.

Larger ships get slightly more swabbies but not enough to make it possible to run the ships effectively with only swabbies. You can move larger ships with swabbies, but you fear for your goods if you have a full hold. If you have access to larger ships, you can see how many swabbies they'll receive by stepping aboard and posting a quick job offer then taking it down. You'll get the swabbies without attracting job applicants.
Jacquilynne
Elder Cod of The Yo-Ho Yo-Yos, Looterati
Ruby Arch: Where the brigands are Ultimate and the players used to be.
[Aug 31, 2004 11:16:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacquilynne [Link]  Go to top 
JCorrado

Wow! Thanks to all for the quick replies and the bountiful info!
Johncorsair.

[Aug 31, 2004 11:34:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fanon

You need only return your ship to that port when you want to deliver your order. You can bid for more goods than you space for, as well, and when you deliver the order, it'll only give you what you have room for at the time, and leave the rest in the market to be picked up later.

Slight detail (it was implicit / assumed, but I'll mention it anyways), it doesn't need to be your ship... it can be any ship that you can access the hold on. So if you're an officer, you can deliver a bid to any ship in your crew, regardless of whether you personally own the ship or not. Only time actually owning the ship is important (apart from the pride factor) is when memorising routes.

While bids don't decay right now, I believe it is something that might be coming in the future (try a search on market decay or commodity decay). Right now, the market offers unlimited storage in the form of filled, un-delivered bid tickets, which is somewhat of an exploit =)

Larger ships get slightly more swabbies

They do? I always thought you could only get 4 swabbies max (3 for sloops & cutters), and the only difference on larger ships is that more people can come aboard before swabbies start leaving?

And yeah, solo'ing a sloop isn't too hard, and solo'ing a cutter is still OK (just much harder to get up to full speed). But it's usually impractical to solo anything bigger...
[Sep 1, 2004 12:28:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jasandrea

fanon wrote: 

Only time actually owning the ship is important (apart from the pride factor) is when memorising routes.

Err, huh? How is owning the ship important to memorizing routes?

Larger ships get slightly more swabbies

They do? I always thought you could only get 4 swabbies max (3 for sloops & cutters), and the only difference on larger ships is that more people can come aboard before swabbies start leaving?

Err, huh? How is four not slightly more than three?
Jacquilynne
[Sep 1, 2004 12:40:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacquilynne [Link]  Go to top 
cdalman

fanon wrote: 
Only time actually owning the ship is important (apart from the pride factor) is when memorising routes.

You can mem routes anytime you are navigating. It doesn't matter if is is your ship, your crews ship, or a ship that you are randomly jobbing on. Anytime you play the navigation puzzle, it counts towards memming.

To the original poster, everyone else has answered your questions. If you have any more, feel free to post and they will be answered quite quickly!

CHeers!
Klank on Midnight
Steel Magnolias
Liberty Hull

Proud owner of the war brig Kraken's Tear

" You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be misquoted, then used against you. "
[Sep 1, 2004 12:46:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fanon

You can mem routes anytime you are navigating. It doesn't matter if is is your ship, your crews ship, or a ship that you are randomly jobbing on. Anytime you play the navigation puzzle, it counts towards memming.

Really? I was told, once upon a time, that you need to own the ship... and usually I sail my own ship anyways, so I've never memmed from sailing a crew ship. Gonna have to try this out...

Err, huh? How is four not slightly more than three?

OK, fair enough. =)
Mis-interpreted that to mean the number of swabbies scale according to ship size, ie sloops get 3, cutters 4, brigs 5, frigs 6... which they don't =)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by fanon at Sep 1, 2004 1:24:39 AM]
[Sep 1, 2004 1:24:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cdalman

fanon wrote: 

Really? I was told, once upon a time, that you need to own the ship... and usually I sail my own ship anyways, so I've never memmed from sailing a crew ship. Gonna have to try this out...

Aye it does work. I was an OIT and then an officer for a week before I purchased my own ship. By the time I had it, I had already memmed most of Emerald on other crewmates ships. =)
Klank on Midnight
Steel Magnolias
Liberty Hull

" You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be misquoted, then used against you. "
[Sep 1, 2004 1:49:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
thoren

jasandrea wrote: 

I can't address the second part of this about leaving any excess to be picked up later, but I'd like to point out that you don't need to return the same ship to port. You can go to the market bidding section of the hold menu and drag the bid tickets into your inventory. Then you can fill it from any vessel.

I believe, though I haven't tried it, that you'd probably be able to do it from a stall or shop as well.
Trilse
[size=7]Mostly Retired SO of Extremely Happy Pirates
[size=7]Mostly Retired ex-Lord of Water Sleeps
[size=9]Callahans : Mmmmm... Spicy!
[Sep 1, 2004 1:53:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fanon

Yep, all that matters is the bid ticket. It can be in the ship's hold, in a stall/shoppe's hold, on your person... You can deliver a ticket that someone else left in the hold... You can trade tickets with someone else...

All that matters is that you have the ticket (or can access to the ticket, ie it's in the hold) and a place to deliver it to (that you can access the hold on - a crew ship or a stall/shoppe you own or manage).
[Sep 1, 2004 2:13:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vurogj

The thing about owning the ship ye are usin' to memm. Ye only need to be on yer own ship if ye are tryin' to memm a route from another pirates memory, and they aren't an officer in yer crew. Then ye trade them the deed, they chart fer ye, and trade ye the deed back again. This is because jobbers can't chart routes.

There are many trustworthy mates out there who will do this fer ye, try the [Philanthropy] Memorization Assistance thread in the Bazaar forum.
Older, crankier,
still haz da phat haiku skillz.
Tawnee on Midnight.
Apollo says, "Tawnee, I should have known you were involved."
[Sep 1, 2004 3:35:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    vurogj    vurojg [Link]  Go to top 
dr4b

Yeah -- officers in a crew and above can chart OR the owner of a ship can always chart.

As for the bid tickets, one semi-important thing to remember (for some) is that skellies can take your bid tickets away as part of their "Ye'll be knowin' if I win, I'll be takin' yer ____" bounty. So that's one reason to leave them on a ship in the market port -- though make sure your crew knows not to sail them away (or to leave another ship there for you!)

I like to think of bid tickets almost like stock options :) Except they don't really work that way unless they're filled, I suppose.
Janthina, proprietor of Turban Outfitters on Jorvik.
Deadly, when I gather materials
Never engage any less than Imperials.

[Sep 1, 2004 5:09:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cdalman

Another great use for moving bid tickets, is if you work in a stall/shoppe where there is more then one active manager.

In the few stalls that I manage, it is great to have someone bid at a market place when they find a good deal, and then bring the bid ticket back to the stall. It makes it very easy for all the managers to help with stocking the stall/shoppe.

Although, this is not an issue if all the managers are in the same crew . . . .
Klank on Midnight
Steel Magnolias
Liberty Hull

[Sep 1, 2004 5:20:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JCorrado

Okay, another question, this time on foraging:

I know that foraging uses an hour of work time.
Does it use an hour of *future* work time, or an hour of unused *previous* work time? That is, if I worked 8 of the last 24 hours, and go forage 16 times, am I still considered free to work, or will it be 16 hours before I can work anywhere?

I just started a stall and found a route to a good island to forage on, and I don't want to go foraging if it means my stall suffers from lack of work.
Johncorsair.

[Sep 3, 2004 1:06:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jasandrea

It uses an hour of future time.
Jacquilynne
[Sep 3, 2004 1:19:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacquilynne [Link]  Go to top 
joshdick

Future.
Pirate name: Heisenberg
[Sep 3, 2004 1:19:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ShotputBlue

Your next 16 labor hours would go toward paying back the deficit from when you foraged. You'd still be able to forage or play the distilling puzzle (which would count as work), but doing that would take more future hours and put you that much further in debt.

So if you were to forage 16 times then wait an hour, your debt would be down to 15 hours. Foraging or distilling would put you back up to 16.
[Sep 3, 2004 1:40:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Ruby is the hardest of the archs, but individual routes within archs have different ratings. The best source of information on which is which is Diamondblade's map of the midnight ocean, stickied at the top of this forum.

As far as I know, Diamond is slightly easier, and Emerald is the most "even" of all the archs. Apart from that, it varies from route to route.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Sep 6, 2004 7:16:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
JCorrado

Arrr. Another question!

I just started up an iron monger's shop on Byrne. Is there any way to see the amount of wages owed but not picked up? I'd hate to be bankrupted by a worker who doesn't pick up his wages for two weeks, and right now it seems the only way to keep track of how much I owe in wages is to correlate the e-mails of who worked what hours vs. shop records of who has come in to pick up wages.

Thank ye again!
John Corsair
(Owner of Johncorsair's Ironmongering Stall on Byrne, where we have the best price on cannoballs, and guarantee that they will almost never explode within the cannon themselves. Honest! [size=9]Guarantee not an actual binding contract.)
Johncorsair.

[Sep 7, 2004 1:14:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mlik

Workers are paid when they do the work for you. The money is taken out of escrow or your coffers if there's not enough in escrow. If there's not enough money in the coffers or escrow, no work will be done.
Mlik, playing the Forum Game.
Play Diplomacy!
Xephin tells you, "Viva le Revolution!"
[Sep 7, 2004 1:39:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    _dharmy_    dharmy0    2654008 [Link]  Go to top 
AquaDrake

In other words, you never have to worry about a late wage earner picking up wages -- you'll never take an unexpected hit to the coffers.
Maybe "historical" dragons were pterosaurs?
http://www.livescience.com/animals/090107-pterosaur-flight.html

"No plain fanfold paper could hold that fractal Puff --
He grew so fast no plotting pack could shrink him far enough.&quot
[Sep 7, 2004 6:39:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates