• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 663 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
Male Guest
Trading woes Reply to this Post

A minor problem I noticed with the trading mechanics is that stores can advertise that they will buy much more of something than they can actually hold. So I'm stuck here with a hull full of cargo only to find out that I can't actually sell it, or else I'll have to end up taking a horrible loss. From what I've seen, trading is already a less than efficient way to make money. Most of the profit margins are so thin that you're better off just going out pillaging. Especially considering the risk of being attacked and losing some of your cargo, as well as the off chance that someone else will beat you into port with the same type of goods, as well as the money you lose on the rum you have to buy just to go from island to island.

I'm sure some of the economics will get changed to make trading more profitable/desirable. But this is one game engine fix that would fix a rather annoying (to me at this moment, at least. :) ) problem.

-Toxy
[Jul 31, 2003 5:46:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Hanzii

Re: Trading woes Reply to this Post

To quote Garf: Booched!

All these issues are adressed elsewhere in the forum.

And you're right that it's a problem when shoppes advertise they'll buy more than they can hold - that's why Nemo promised to put it on THE LIST.
(which is long, so have patience)

here's a few other trading threads:
http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=935

http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=794
----------------------------------------
Hanzii - shipbuilder (retired), Turtle
[Jul 31, 2003 6:07:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.lauring.net [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

My mistake. I did a quick search through the recent threads and didn't see anything related to trading so I figured I'd just start a new topic. At any rate... what am I supposed to do with my ship full of cargo? I can't find any place to sell it right now, even if I sell for a loss. Am I just stuck with it?

-Toxy
[Jul 31, 2003 6:28:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Hanzii

The short answer: Yes!

The longer one: The game offers no tools to help you. No dumpster. No intership transfers (to put in the hold of a larger ship - which are never used anyway - if you have it) and no storage spaces.

But...
What the game lacks, the players have in spades. As these boards ar witness to, even with the influx of players, there's a lot of oldies willing to help.
Get hold of a shopowner, that would normally take whatever it is you're stuck with - you can probably find a solution and make a deal.
And if you tell us, what it is, we might even help you out here.
Hanzii - shipbuilder (retired), Turtle
[Jul 31, 2003 7:29:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.lauring.net [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Aye, where are ye stuck, and with what?
[Jul 31, 2003 11:43:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

It was just a bunch of sugar cane, which I should have realized I would be able to get rid of once free rum night was over and the shops started producing alcahol again. It was just frustrating not being able to do much trading because my hold was so full. And that was after realizing that one store at alpha was selling for less than another was buying. So I didn't have to sail to another island to buy it in the first place. heh

-Toxy
[Aug 1, 2003 2:35:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Bring your cane to Gaea. We could always use more.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Aug 1, 2003 6:24:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates