• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 32
Posts: 32   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4215 times and has 31 replies Next Thread
ZSA004

What is the DEAL with Cnossos population?

Seriously. Not complaining, but would like some insight as to why my population exploded from 475-ish to over 1500 in a mere 48 hours. I was under the impression that non-subbers don't add to the total. Has that been changed, or am I just awesome at attracting people? Again, not complaining persay, but I think this is a decent question.
----------------------------------------
Iskra says, "You're the sweetest pirate I've seen in the the whole ocean"
[Aug 27, 2004 6:20:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    ZSA004 [Link]  Go to top 
Markoman

Re: What is the DEAL with Cnossos population?

After winning my first broadcast tourney on Cnossos, I moved there!

But seriously, I doubt it was because my fan club moved there as well...
Markozeta
[Aug 27, 2004 6:38:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
Hampster

Maybe everyone suddenly got obsessed with the Greek theme because of the olympics.

They'll be gone in a week.

~Kivo
Kivo - for the lady, sir?
Her sugar daddy would.
[Aug 27, 2004 9:18:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
damienroc

Might have started spawning greenies. That's what caused a huge spike in the Jorvik and Spring populations.
Shuranthae wrote: 
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!

[Aug 27, 2004 11:25:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://damienroc.sandwich.net    AryaTheFaceless [Link]  Go to top 
Rubby

ZSA004 wrote: 
I was under the impression that non-subbers don't add to the total.

Inactive players (not logged in for 10 or more days, or at least I think it's 10) get dropped from the total population. Non-subscribers still count.
[Aug 28, 2004 3:28:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ZSA004

Ah, interesting.
[Aug 28, 2004 7:04:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    ZSA004 [Link]  Go to top 
Tedv

I asked Nemo why they weren't spawning greenies about 2 days ago and he was surprised they weren't. Guess he fixed that.

Look on the bright side though-- more greenies on Cnossos means more traffic to Cnossos shops. I'm thrilled.
[Aug 28, 2004 7:29:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ZSA004

Oh it is definately a good thing, just surprised me quite a bit.
[Aug 28, 2004 10:54:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    ZSA004 [Link]  Go to top 
funnybones

Judging by a number o' greenies I found put into port at Cnossos, I'd say that they most certaintly have given it a greeny spawn.
The Dread Pirates Robinson & Barthes, LLC

The poor complain; they always do. But that's just idle chatter.
Our system brings rewards to all. At least, to all who matter.

[Aug 28, 2004 1:20:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BotHunter

yes non subscribers count toward residents and they do not drop off for 30 days after thier last loging.

this is what i complained about once at spring as greenie spawning raised my weekly taxes as they are considered residents.

Just so ye know thats what i was told by cleaver as well.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piggerina

The population of Cnossos rose from 500 to 1500 in 48 hours, and now stands at 1551.

The population of Winter Solstice has halved to 1485 over the past month (not accounted for by MA's colonisation of Park, which had a population of 52 yesterday).

This must be a result of dev intervention, and I too should like to know what the situation is and the reasons for this action. It has important implications for taxation on both islands.

Neither Artemis nor Poseidon can explain it.

Hogwash
(who visits these forums only when there is no alternative)
Hogwash on the Midnight Ocean
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quizzical

Greenies that spawn on Jorvik, Spring, or Cnossos don't spawn on Winter Solstice. Simple enough.
There is no "i" in "complex numbers".
Piggerina

Quizzical, I appreciate your contribution, but I should like to see this from the mouth of the devs. I should also have expected to see an increase in the population of Oyster and a decrease in Turtle and Alpha if this is the case.

Hogwash
Nemo
Artist

We haven't done anything to Winter.
[Aug 28, 2004 5:00:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piggerina

The inscrutable Nemo says:

We haven't done anything to Winter.

Then Winter certainly is dying on its feet.

And Cnossos? *Beam*
[Aug 28, 2004 5:07:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quizzical

Here's a more detailed explanation, then. Most of the population on any high population island is new players who spawned there. Before there were six islands that greenies spawned on. Now there are at least nine. Hence if the player base size remains constant, each such island gets only 2/3 as many players. Note that the population of all the other previous high populations has fallen sharply as well.
There is no "i" in "complex numbers".
[Aug 28, 2004 5:27:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ZSA004

Is this where I insert maniacal laughter?

/me puts on his evil cloak.

Mwahahaha....?
[Aug 28, 2004 5:31:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    ZSA004 [Link]  Go to top 
Piggerina

Oops. That wasn't Nemo. That was Quizzical again. Who IS that guy?

Hogwash
[Aug 28, 2004 5:34:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BotHunter

What I think he is saying is if the other islands population is going down and one is going up, then people are relocating....
[Aug 28, 2004 11:02:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NinjaGuy

The populations of a lot of islands was lowered a few weeks ago. I was under the impression they had done another mass greenie pirate removal, like they did a long time ago, around the time when property tax was added.
Ninjaguy - Captain of the Mad Mutineers, Prince of the Midnight Armada
[Aug 29, 2004 12:11:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.midnightarmada.com    Istealpants21    Istealpants21 [Link]  Go to top 
Piggerina

We can all speculate. I have just as many theories as anyone else... I just want the definitive answer from the people who actually know. :D

Hogwash
[Aug 29, 2004 1:34:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Xoonky_90

i check greenies in Diamond archipelago often by writing /gwho
and i've seen some differences on them , alpha as allways has the most greenies there , but now cnossos is the second , turtle had a decrease!!
Everything happens for a reason...
[Aug 29, 2004 5:14:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

NinjaGuy wrote: 
The populations of a lot of islands was lowered a few weeks ago. I was under the impression they had done another mass greenie pirate removal, like they did a long time ago, around the time when property tax was added.

Unsubscribed pirates are purged relative to their last logon, not in mass blocks.
[Aug 29, 2004 9:14:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Obie

Piggerina wrote: 
Oops. That wasn't Nemo. That was Quizzical again. Who IS that guy?

Hogwash

He is Thanos ;p

err...umm...yeah...
Obie
Argonaut wrote: 
I'm glad brown will become easier to get. I think it's very important to wear brown pants while sailing in Ruby.

[Aug 30, 2004 12:48:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NinjaGuy

Nemo wrote: 
NinjaGuy wrote: 

Unsubscribed pirates are purged relative to their last logon, not in mass blocks.

Ah, ok... I ran out of greenie accounts a long time ago, so I wouldn't know. I just remember a long time ago seeing the Alpha population fall by leaps and bounds once, along with all the other islands to lesser degrees, so I had kind of figured it was done in mass sprees.
[Aug 30, 2004 1:24:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.midnightarmada.com    Istealpants21    Istealpants21 [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

I'm thinking there was a mass deletion, which set them up to put a system in place where it happens after x amount of time.
[Aug 30, 2004 1:27:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
funnybones

NinjaGuy wrote: 
Nemo wrote: 
NinjaGuy wrote: 

Ah, ok... I ran out of greenie accounts a long time ago, so I wouldn't know. I just remember a long time ago seeing the Alpha population fall by leaps and bounds once, along with all the other islands to lesser degrees, so I had kind of figured it was done in mass sprees.

Was it ever at 7,000?

I swear it was 7,000 when I started playing, late January (didn't subscribe for a while)

[Aug 30, 2004 2:40:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NinjaGuy

I think it was over 10000 for a bit before the giant drop, but it may be my mind playing tricks on me. I also remember seeing it at 100 (I spawned on Winter in Midnight and jumped to Alpha), and 1000, and it's a well known fact Pirates can't count, so who knows.
[Aug 30, 2004 4:43:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.midnightarmada.com    Istealpants21    Istealpants21 [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

I also saw the 8000-12000 range on all 6 colonized islands when I started.

I just assumed that it included the "little people" that are not pirates, that go about their normal daily business and aren't in the game.

Although, perhaps it really counted every greenie ever spawned.
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Aug 30, 2004 7:52:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
funnybones

Yes!!!! I'm not crazy!! Whippy!

[Aug 30, 2004 8:16:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 32   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates