• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 94
Posts: 94   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 28826 times and has 93 replies Next Thread
Prometheus
OceanMaster

Avatar Revolutions - [Winners Posted] Reply to this Post

Avast! Two years is far too long to wait for a sequel and as much as we enjoy our current avatars it's time for some new blood and fresh faces. This is your chance to have your name and artwork added to the current roster of player-created avatars.

What are the rules?

• You will have until October 3rd at 11:59 PM Pacific to post your entries.

• All artwork must be original. This means no screen shots, no collages using found media and no filters on pictures or other work that is not 100% yours. Repurposing previous Y!PP fan art or avatars that you have made before for entry into this event is allowable as long as it is still all your work.

• Your avatars will need to fit into the forum size and format guidelines. Maximum file size is 60kb and image size must be less or equal to 150x150 pixels. You are free to use .jpg, .png or .gif formats.

• You are free to enter as many avatars as you like in as many of the categories as you like but please only post once to the entry thread. Any additional entries can be edited into your entry post. Any edits or additions past the entry deadline will lead to disqualification.

• To give you some help starting we will be judging in four categories: Pirates, Scenery, Puzzles and Miscellaneous. When creating your avatar you should have one of these categories in mind.

For reference, here are the category descriptions:
    Pirates - fairly obvious, your standard portrait-like avatar. This can include any piratey animals, but any image that has its main focus on a pirate belongs in this category.
    Scenery - Landscapes and the like. Still lifes and portrait background concepts would work equally well here.
    Puzzles - Your interpretation of either a pirate performing one of the puzzles or how that puzzle fits into the YPP world. Please use a YPP puzzle as the main focus in these images.
    Miscellaneous - Anything that does not fit into the other three categories. Doesn't fit well into the above categories? Put it here.

How do I enter?

• To enter simply post in the entry thread, providing the following information in your post:

* Your Pirate Name (Your avatar will be credited to this name)
    * Your Ocean
    * Your Entry Image (naturally!)
    * Your Entry's Title and Category (Please only choose one per entry)

What are the prizes?

• The top three winning avatars in each category will be added to the current lineup of avatars and will potentially be seen by every forum reading member of the community. Pretty awesome, no? In addition, winners will receive a Prometheus Egg as well as a trinket in-game to commemorate their accomplishment.
  • Runners up will win a Prometheus Egg and a Portrait Easel. They will also get a trinket to mark their accomplishment.

How is this event being judged?

• Once the deadline has passed, judging will be done by myself and special guest star Nemo.
  • While technical skill is important we will be placing emphasis on creativity, uniqueness and relevance to Puzzle Pirates. Basically, good and unique ideas will have an edge over photoshop proficiency.
  • Animated avatars will be allowed... however a special note: The best avatars add to a post, they don't distract from it. Animated avatars will be held to a higher standard than still avatars and preference will be shown to a subtle use of animation as opposed to a kaleidoscope of color.

I have another question...

Feel free to ask in this thread!

As this is an artistic event the point is not only to win but to improve your artistic skill. If you would like to ask for/provide critiques and comments on entries, offer tips on specific image editing programs, help in any other way or even to ask for assistance for yourself please do post.

Special thanks to Fiddler for running the previous avatar contest, event format and category descriptions.

9/14: Updated prizes

Entries to this contest must be submitted (by Friday October 3rd at 11:59PM Pacific) to this thread in The Mariner's Muse.

Results Post
----------------------------------------
[Edit 5 times, last edit by Prometheus at Oct 17, 2008 2:29:21 PM]
[Sep 11, 2008 7:41:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
Shorty_Jack

Re: Avatar Revolutions Reply to this Post

What are the prizes?

• The top three winning avatars in each category will be added to the current lineup of avatars and will potentially be seen by every forum reading member of the community. Pretty awesome, no? In addition, winners will receive a trinket in-game to commemorate their accomplishment.

• Runners up will win not one but two random items from my vast inventory which may include (but not limited to!) OM eggs, portraits or furniture. They will also get a trinket to mark their accomplishment.

• Huh. If someone is chosen as one of the winning avatars can they turn in the trinket for the chance of an OM egg? Just curious.
    Shortyjack of the Midnight Ocean
    [Sep 11, 2008 8:06:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    silversleak [Link]  Go to top 
    Patetch

Ooh how fun :)

I know it will be quite challenging making generic avatars (at least for me.) Rather than ones for specific people or occasions.

This probably isn't necessary for this sort of event, since it is all handmade and size can / should be set ahead of time but here is a very simple avatar cropping site.

EDIT:

Huh. If someone is chosen as one of the winning avatars can they turn in the trinket for the chance of an OM egg? Just curious.
    Heehee I was just thinking that runner up prizes sounded better too, but I am sure that the winner's trinket will be awesome :)
    Pletoo of Sage
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by Patetch at Sep 11, 2008 8:17:46 PM]
    [Sep 11, 2008 8:15:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Benzene265

The word "Revolution" has me thinking "Blonde and Well-tanned". Well, there goes generic. >.>
    A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
    Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
    [Sep 11, 2008 8:26:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
    Tennveil

Sweet! I wasn't around for the first one. This is one event I can't not enter! Now to find time between Calculus, Physics, and painting my backpack...

Handy link for avatar tips.

The first few posts have a lot of nice links. The rest of the thread has various tips in between.
    [Sep 11, 2008 9:03:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Squashbuckle

Are these avatars for player use (like the monkey on the laptop) or OM use?

Is cut-and-paste art utilizing game images ok?
    Polly
    Hunter
    Captain of Flocktarts

[Sep 11, 2008 11:36:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    P1P3L1N3

In response to Polly's question:

Prometheus' OP wrote: 
  • All artwork must be original. This means no screen shots, no collages using found media and no filters on pictures or other work that is not 100% yours. Repurposing previous Y!PP fan art or avatars that you have made before for entry into this event is allowable as long as it is still all your work.

• So technically the only way you could use in-game art is if you were an OOO artist.

Your other question I can't answer due to the distinct lack of blue in my name colour. :P
    Pipeline of Viridian
    [Sep 12, 2008 12:43:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    seb_long_uk

What a wonderful idea; I wish I'd thought of it... :P

I'm going to suggest that technical help is kept to the Discussion thread for Avatars:

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=100142

And new artists are directed to the Tips and Tricks to Entering Events wiki page

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Tips_and_Tricks_for_Entering_Events

Please feel free to put these in the original event post.
    Domokun
    Avatar by the incredible Tilinka
    [Sep 12, 2008 2:43:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    My other sloop is a Gold/Gold rename [Link]  Go to top 
    Shorty_Jack

The top three winning avatars in each category will be added to the current lineup of avatars....

I'm guessing that means they will be for player use for people that currently do not have an avatar (like the monkey on the laptop).
    [Sep 12, 2008 3:05:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    silversleak [Link]  Go to top 
    micklauer

Shorty J wrote: 

What are the prizes?

• The top three winning avatars in each category will be added to the current lineup of avatars and will potentially be seen by every forum reading member of the community. Pretty awesome, no? In addition, winners will receive a trinket in-game to commemorate their accomplishment.

• Runners up will win not one but two random items from my vast inventory which may include (but not limited to!) OM eggs, portraits or furniture. They will also get a trinket to mark their accomplishment.

• Huh. If someone is chosen as one of the winning avatars can they turn in the trinket for the chance of an OM DOLL? Just curious.

Fixed.
    Devout follower of Apollo
    d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
    [Sep 12, 2008 7:13:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Patetch

I am just curious - are all the current selections of stock avatars the result of previous contests? There is quite a variety of styles there and I was wondering if they were all winners or if somehow people managed to get theirs in the list.
    Pletoo of Sage
    [Sep 12, 2008 7:19:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    marco_161091

What are the prizes?

• What if the person is retired/deleted his pirate/banned etc.

Can he give the prize to anyone else?? Or maybe make another forum event to give the prize off to the winner?
    Benzene265 said

I can't see anyone naming their pirate Ghyslaine, but I certainly hope that if there is a Japanese Rhodin someday, he or she remains blonde and well-tanned.

[Sep 12, 2008 9:44:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    marco_161091 [Link]  Go to top 
    Prometheus
    OceanMaster

Ah, my apologies for being unclear. Yes, the winning avatars will be added to the forum's default selection of avatars, available for anybody to use.

I am just curious - are all the current selections of stock avatars the result of previous contests? There is quite a variety of styles there and I was wondering if they were all winners or if somehow people managed to get theirs in the list.

Yep, they're all from the Avatars Reloaded forum event.

-Pro
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by Prometheus at Sep 12, 2008 10:51:05 AM]
    [Sep 12, 2008 10:50:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
    Patetch

Oh - thanks for the link, Pro - I was looking for it. Looking at that event, I see that

artists were divided into two divisions, amateur and professional

Is that the case again here?
    /e definitely considers herself an amateur.

EDIT: Oh wow! I just looked through the previous entry thread - some really great stuff there. I'm looking forward to some awesome entries this time around as well.
    Pletoo of Sage
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by Patetch at Sep 12, 2008 11:23:35 AM]
    [Sep 12, 2008 11:10:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Karkinous

When Can we start to put our entries up?
    What do you call 1000 dead lawyers at the buttom of the sea? - A start =P

IlXll on Malachite and Senior Officer of Breaking Point.
    Champerado on Sage and Pirate of Privateers.
    [Sep 13, 2008 2:00:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Shorty_Jack

When Can we start to put our entries up?

Considering others have already entered in the entry thread, you are allowed to post in the entry thread. If you mean making it your own avatar, I don't think this contest would prevent you from doing that.
    [Sep 13, 2008 6:34:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    silversleak [Link]  Go to top 
    Frostburnx

ooOOooOO!

Here is an off question:

I currently run an avatar shoppe with my sister, Lennore, so we, together, make each avatar. Is this allowed for the entries? May more than one person work on the same avatar? Or only one person per avatar?
    Liliene on Cerulean
    [Sep 13, 2008 9:56:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/taradavis [Link]  Go to top 
    Cheiron2

My artistic ability is limited at best, but I can take pictures. Is it allowed for me to take pictures of different things and photoshop them together into an image?

I'm not saying take a picture of a boat and then a person and combine them, but maybe a butterfly's wings and a rabbit's ears, and tree branch, ext. and turn it into an avatar.
    Cheiron of the Cobalt
    [Sep 13, 2008 9:50:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    PMega

Hmm... being a runner-up seems more desirable than being a winner given that they get items and a trinket and the victors just the trinket... >_>
    Travidar on the Viridian Ocean
    Author of Puzzled Pirates
    [Sep 14, 2008 12:20:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Benzene265

Hmm... being a runner-up seems more desirable than being a winner given that they get items and a trinket and the victors just the trinket... >_>

The big prize is being able to point to that avatar and say, "See that monkey-with-a-laptop that all the banned newbs are picking to complain with on the forums? All me." >.> Since the majority of the entrants are going to be avatar artists, the free advertising is the kind of prize they want.
    A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
    Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
    [Sep 14, 2008 6:25:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
    Prometheus
    OceanMaster

Patetch wrote: 

Is that the case again here?
    /e definitely considers herself an amateur.

Not this time, no :)

I currently run an avatar shoppe with my sister, Lennore, so we, together, make each avatar. Is this allowed for the entries? May more than one person work on the same avatar? Or only one person per avatar?

This event is for individual entries. If that is how you usually work you can collaborate with your sister however with the understanding that only one prize will be given and only one pirate will be named in the avatar selection.

Given that, I would actually suggest as a fun alternative that you and your sister try your hands at making an avatar separately and see what you come up with. This is a great chance to strike out and try something new.

My artistic ability is limited at best, but I can take pictures. Is it allowed for me to take pictures of different things and photoshop them together into an image?

Pff.. Taking pictures well is incredibly artistic, don't sell yourself short. :) The format of the entry in terms of medium isn't restricted, however, if you choose to go this route I'm going to need to ask you to have your unedited source images available and when reasonable and appropriate, have a little slip of paper with your pirate name on it to show that it is indeed your photographs.

And a small announcement: Due to some initial confusion over the prizes I've gone ahead and made a small change. Both winners and runners up will receive a Prometheus Egg. You can find the updated prize list in the first post.
    [Sep 14, 2008 11:43:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
    Frostburnx

YAY EGG!
    Liliene on Cerulean
    [Sep 15, 2008 8:28:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/taradavis [Link]  Go to top 
    CrustyBoyLin

is there a good "avatar" creator site or sites I can use if not where do I go to create an "avatar"
    I'm only wearing Black until they invent something darker.
    [Sep 15, 2008 5:11:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    fulcher466 [Link]  Go to top 
    seb_long_uk

is there a good "avatar" creator site or sites I can use if not where do I go to create an "avatar"

Click the Familiar link in my signature. Read the webpage it directs you to.
    Domokun
    Avatar by the incredible Tilinka
    [Sep 15, 2008 6:27:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    My other sloop is a Gold/Gold rename [Link]  Go to top 
    simanc

Hi duno if anyone can help me but i have design a aviator but when i try to add it to my thread all im geting is a blue square with a question mark.

the file is only a 50kb jpeg format so i dont understand why it want load can anyone help me??
    [Sep 15, 2008 8:04:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Mitchellb4

• You are free to use .jpg, .png or .gif formats.

k...i was just wondering what jpg,png and gif are???
    cheers ,mitchellb4

Crossdeck on viridian ocean
  • [Sep 16, 2008 12:21:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Shorty_Jack

Hi duno if anyone can help me but i have design a aviator but when i try to add it to my thread all im geting is a blue square with a question mark.

the file is only a 50kb jpeg format so i dont understand why it want load can anyone help me??

To post a picture you need to upload to a web server of some type like Photobucket.

You are free to use .jpg, .png or .gif formats.

k...i was just wondering what jpg,png and gif are???
    cheers ,mitchellb4

Crossdeck on viridian ocean

Jpg, png, and gif are file formats. When you view a file name it will say the name then format. Such as:
    Crossdeckavatarentry.jpg
    In order to save your work in the appropriate format (most default to jpg so there is no need to worry), when using save as change the save file type as: jpg or png. Use a gif format if it has animation.

Also, I've noticed this in the entry thread. There are a ton of great entries already! Some, however, are over the maximum size limit of 150x150 pixels. It'd be a shame for one to not place if their size is wrong, so check your work! :D
    [Sep 16, 2008 4:07:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    silversleak [Link]  Go to top 
    lilymoon

Also, I've noticed this in the entry thread. There are a ton of great entries already! Some, however, are over the maximum size limit of 150x150 pixels. It'd be a shame for one to not place if their size is wrong, so check your work! :D

A good way to double check your work is to right click on your image and click on properties (using Firefox or Internet Explorer browsers). This will give you your file size and picture dimensions (as well as show you if you've saved it as a jpg, gif, png).

60000 bytes = 60 KB (FYI :) ) which is the max. file size (try using an Image Optimizer to shrink those file sizes; there are a lot of free trial use at download.com)

Good luck mates! They are all really cute!
    Faeree ~ Illustrious Wanderer on all oceans ~
    Apollo wrote: 
    (Is it wrong that I'm now just a tiny bit in love with Faeree's brother?)

[Sep 16, 2008 8:27:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Faeree [Link]  Go to top 
    Kadrag

Am I allowed to draw my avatar and scan it?
    [Sep 18, 2008 10:36:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Porsair

yes i have the same question as kadraq
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by Porsair at Sep 18, 2008 12:01:26 PM]
    [Sep 18, 2008 11:59:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Posts: 94   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
    [Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates