• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 60
Posts: 60   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 32217 times and has 59 replies Next Thread
scumhunter

Basic Shop Management Reply to this Post

Okay, I have a few people who want to start managing a shop or two and want me to help them. I HATE typing things out more than once when I don't have to. So here is a little tutorial of the nuts and bolts of managing a shop.

This won't tell you what numbers to use, but it will tell you how to use your managerial tools...

I. The managerial wheel. Here is the managers wheel. These are your basic manager tools.

1. Your help screen. Some basic information is here. Use it.
2. Inventory Management.
3. Commodity Trading.
4. Market Bidding.
5. Price Management.
6. Labour Force.
7. Order management.

II. Inventory Management.

Okay, when you click on the 'Inventory Management' button you will see the screen below.

1. These are the commodities. Name along with their picture.
2. The number of units of each commodity actually in the shop.
3. The combined weight of all units of that commodity in the shop.
4. The combined volume of all units of that particular commodity in the shop.
5. Amount to be transferred. If you are transfering goods out of the shop here is where you input the number of units of the commodity to be transferred.
6. The shop's coffers. The coffers function just like the coffers on a ship. As a manager you can withdraw or deposit to the coffers.

7. Transfer options. Here is where you choose the destination for any commodities you transfer out. You can move commodities to a shop or ship by typing in the name in the space provided or dropping in the deed by choosing 'Transfer by Deed' in the destination options. You can also choose to destroy commodities should you wish.

8. This is a readout of the total mass and volume of everything in the shop along with your maximum weight and volume amounts.

9. This shows any personal orders you have pending. Just like on a ship.

III. Commidity trading.

Commodity trading in a shop works exactly as onboard a ship. Buy and sell. Compare prices. This is a good screen to access to see what your competitors are paying for commodities and selling dock wares for.

IV. Market Bidding.

Bidding on market goods from a shop works exactly as if you were at the islands market and placing a bid there. The difference being that any delivered goods will be dropped into the shop's inventory as opposed to a ship's hold if you choose to have them delivered from the shop's interface.

V. Manage Prices.

This can be a very tricky screen. More than one person has screwed up their shop making a mistake here. When you click this button you will see a screen like below.

First off notice that there are two tabs on this screen. Commodities and Products. Let's look at Commodities first.

1. The name and picture of each commodity.
2. The number of units of each commodity on hand.
3. The 'buy price'. This will be the price that your shop will buy that particular commodity at. This amount is posted on the commodity trading screen at other shops and any ships trading at your island. Also notice the check box to the left of the price. If this box is not checked the price will not be posted and your shop will not buy any of that commodity until the box is checked off.

4. The 'sell price'. This is the price that your shop will sell off any units of the particular commodity at. Also notice the check box to the left of the price. If this box is not checked the price will not be posted and your shop will not sell any of that commodity until the box is checked off. This price should be higher than your buy price.

5. The 'use cost'. This is the cost that will be added to any finished product made at your shop that uses that particular commodity. Think of it as the 'Parts' cost of 'Parts and Labour' from a garage bill. You should make this cost higher than your buy price so that your shop will profit from the commodities use. Also notice the check box to the left of the cost. If this box is not checked off your shop will not make any product involving that commodity.

6. Min stock. This is the minimum stock you wish to keep on hand at all times. Selling off of this commodity will be cut off if the amount on hand goes below this amount.

7. Max stock. This is the maximum stock you wish to keep on hand of that commodity. Buying of this commodity will stop once the amount on hand reaches or surpasses this amount.

Va. Product Price Management

Under the second tab in price management is the following screen.

1. Name and picture of the particular product made by the shop.

2. Enabling. This will allow or disallow the selling of that particular product. Sometimes you may have the needed commodities but not want to sell the products made from it. This section allows this.

3. Price adjustment. This allows some extra price tweaking if you wish to increase or decrease the calculated price of a product.

General note: It is ALWAYS a good idea to check prices of commodities and products after you alter them to check against any mistakes you may have made.

VI. Manage Labour Force.

This screen allows you to manage your labour at the shop.

Notice that there are four tabs. They are:
1. This is your posted offer for labour at the shop. This is where you set the prices people see when they click on Help Wanted.
2. Charged rates.
3. Staff.
4. Managers. Only visible to the shop owner.

5. This is where you input the posted wage offer for basic, skilled and expert labour. If you change the values here they will NOT take effect until you push on the 'update' button.

VIa. Charged rates.

Only 1 item here. This is the amount that will be added into the cost of any finished product per hour of the specified type of labour needed. Again, any changes here will NOT take effect until the 'update' button is pushed.

VIb. Staff

Here is the staff screen.

1. The names of every pirate working at the shop.

2. The work history of a specified employee. The day the started working at the shop as well as their current pay rate. Employees are paid at the posted rate when they were hired. This amount will not change if you change the posted rate but only if they are fired and hire back on.

3. Push this to fire the specified pirate from the job. Often used when changing posted rates.

4. This is the overview of how many employees you have at the shop and the 'throughput' of the shop itself. Throughput is how many pirates per hour the shop can use the labour from. Multiplying it by 24 will give you your maximum hours per day or labour.

VIc. Managers
This screen is only accesible by owners. I include it here for new owners.

1. The names of your managers. You are allowed 5 managers at the most. Note: a shop owner has manager abilities and does NOT have to be on this list to manage their shop.

2. Delete. Select a manager and click this button to remove a pirate as a manager. This will not effect their employment status at the shop.

3. Add a manger. Type the pirate's name in the box and click on 'Add manager' to add them to your managerial staff. The pirate must be online for you to do this.

VII. Order management

Clicking on this button will bring up the screen below.

Not much to do here but some important information to watch.
1. Buyer. The name of the pirate who placed the order.
2. Description. What they ordered from you.
3. Quantity. How much they ordered from you.
4. Last worked on. Shows when your staff was last working on the order.

5. Available. You will see one of the things in this column. Ready means the order is done and waiting for the customer to pick it up. Abandoned meanse the order has been waiting over 30 days and is now yours to dispose of as you see fit and a time. A length of time in this column means the order is still being worked on and this is the orders ETA.

6. Escrow. This is the amount of poe being held in anticipation of the order's completion. You do not receive the money for an order until it is completed. So the poe paid by the customer must be held in case they decide to cancel before the order is completed.

7. The Deliver and Cancel buttons. Deliver allows you to receive any order you have placed yourself OR to take any abandoned orders. Cancel will cancel any personal order made by yourself.

8. The total funds in escrow. Shows the total amount being held back in anticipation of the completion of all uncompleted orders.

VIII. The Shoppe Tab

Under the 'Shoppe' tab, managers also get the following screen while in their shop. Some of this anyone can see. Some is just for a manager.

1. A list of the shop's managers.

2. The weekly tax amount along with when it is due and the button to pay it. Clicking on 'Pay now' sends the tax amount out of the shop's coffers immediately. Tax can be prepaid a maximum of 14 days in advance.

3. The shop news. Everyone sees this.
4. The edit news button. Clicking on this will allow you to alter the news message people see when the enter the shop. Editing the message is done just like editing crew news.

5. Pulls up the recent activity in the shop. The screen looks like this:

1. Time. When the particular activity occured.

2. Cash. This is the cash value, if any, of the activity. Red values cause poe to leave the shop's coffers. Green caused poe to come into them.

3. Message. A brief description of what happened.

4. This button will allow you to see further back into the past of the history of the shop.

5. Text Filter. Highly useful if you want to see what a particular manager has been doing or how often you bought or sold a particular item. The button to the left allows you to have multiple filters and to show them all. I, myself, have never used this so I cannot be 100% sure about that.

Well, thats pretty much it. Hope this helps. Please forgive any spelling errors. If you have more question ask me in game or you can email me at antir@telus.net

Despite this being a truly excellent guide, it needs to make do with being ?berthreaded for now. We need some sticky space! =) -Diamondblade.
----------------------------------------
Me Vs. Thor, or No **** there I was.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by scumhunter at Aug 25, 2004 6:52:05 PM]
[Aug 25, 2004 6:52:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.chia.net/scumhunter/ [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

Re: Basic Shop Management Reply to this Post

Is it just me or the images are dead?
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Aug 25, 2004 7:08:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
scumhunter

Apparently the server has gone down for a couple hours from about 3am PDT to around 5am PDT. They should be back up soon......I hope. I'm not that good with Photoshop so I would hate to see all that work wrecked....at least I have all the pics on my home comp.
[Aug 25, 2004 7:12:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.chia.net/scumhunter/ [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

Now that the images are up:

Ooo, nice. Fine tutorial. Thanks for your work in making this.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Aug 25, 2004 8:24:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

A worthy and much-needed update to Shopkeeping 101!

atteSmythe,
+++aaa!one would read again!

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Aug 26, 2004 2:11:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

I've got some stuff to add, since you didn't post shots from a shoppe that has a puzzle (the Distillery). There is more info on the Staff screen for those who do manage Distilleries.

When you click on an employee in the list, their wages will show. Anything that is in a grey font (as opposed to black) is a level of labor that employee cannot provide without puzzling because of their puzzle rating. If all 3 levels have turned grey, the employee has not played the puzzle in a week or more, and will not provide any labor until they come and puzzle.

(EDIT)I would post screens, but I'm not in a place where I can log in right now, so you'll just have to wait for me or someone else to post. Not much different from the picture of the Staff tab already posted though.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Aug 26, 2004 2:35:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
scumhunter

Ah, I don't have access to a distillery so I wasn't able to do that. A member of my flag owns one so I will get him to put me on the manager list and I will add that information to the tutorial. Thanks Thunderbird!

btw, sticky?
[Aug 26, 2004 4:50:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.chia.net/scumhunter/ [Link]  Go to top 
Linelor

I second the sticky. or at least stick it in the tutorial's area under shops :)

edit: changed a silly mistake
Senior Officer of the Red Dawn
Crew Mascot
[Aug 26, 2004 5:08:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Something I forgot to mention, though this might not be true anymore, but:

If you trade the shoppe deed to someone who is already a manager, their name will remain on the Managers list, taking up one of the 5 slots. However, their name won't be shown on the Managers list because they are the owner. Removing yourself from the Managers list (if you are there) will not affect your ability to manage the shoppe, since you still hold the deed.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
[Aug 26, 2004 5:35:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
scumhunter

edited
[Aug 26, 2004 7:21:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.chia.net/scumhunter/ [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Picture time!

If an employee isn't able to provide all levels of labor, you'll see something like this (Yes, I'm picking on Faile for this one):

If an employee is dormant (hasn't puzzled for a week), you'll see something like this:

Note that it is possible for an employee to be dormant on the day they took a job at your shoppe. This means they've not played the puzzle for more than a week (or at all, in some cases), and they didn't puzzle after taking the job.
[Aug 29, 2004 12:11:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quizzical

I'm against stickies in general, but I still think this thread should be stickied. Nice explanation of the basics.
There is no "i" in "complex numbers".
[Aug 29, 2004 12:26:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest
Orders Not Picked Up... Reply to this Post

I own a distillery stall, and have two questions. A person ordered 2 orders of 20 grog from my stall, and the work on them was completed on Sept 26, 2004. Now they still haven't picked the orders up since they were done. How long until they are considered abandoned and I can deliver them, thus taking them off of my orders screen? Also, is there any way to have orders that have been placed by myself and started, but that cannot be completed due to lack of expert labor from my queue? I need to get some expert distillers into my stall, but none are readily available and thus my work on later orders is slowed due to these other orders basically being "in the way". Is there any way to remove already started orders, or to just have them deleted from my batch queue? Thanks...
[Oct 26, 2004 3:44:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Varthlokkur

Re: Orders Not Picked Up... Reply to this Post

sherihall wrote: 
I own a distillery stall, and have two questions. A person ordered 2 orders of 20 grog from my stall, and the work on them was completed on Sept 26, 2004.

October 26th, time of order completion.

Can't help on the other bit.
Vistr of Innocent, of Crimson Tide
- Midnight, the grudge-holding ocean
[Oct 26, 2004 3:58:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    craigld [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest
So today then... Reply to this Post

Thanks... so basically anytime after the actual time on the clock... so if it was completed 4:30 PM on Oct 26th then after 4:30 today? Thanks!
[Oct 26, 2004 4:03:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
sedgewick

Here's something that people might be interested to know.
This would be how to calculate rent into your cost. This will only work if you have enough employees to use up all their time all the time. I use labor in units rather than hours to avoid confusion between real hours and labor hours.

Rent is for 7 days, so we need to calculate the rent per hour.
24 hours/day * 7 days/week = 128 hours/week.
p=poe
w=week
hr=hour
Let's say rent is 1700p. 1700(p/w) / 128(hr/w) = 13.3p/hr
Now let's say you have a small iron working stall that puts out 4 units of labor per hour.
13.3p/4units=3.3poe per unit labor
So! Therefore, You should increase the cost of labor atleast by 3 inorder to cover the cost the weekly rent.

Here is the formula:
R/(128*W)=rent cost per labor unit
R = Weekly rent
W= Labor output.

To be using up all the labor all the time will require 4 full time employees. Because each employee gets 24hr/day and you have 4hr*24hr=96units of labor per day

I think I maybe confused on how the labor output per hour works with shops, but this would definetally work if you produce only small cb and only use basic labor. It might be more complicated if the labor output is different than I think it is.
Always outnumbered never outgunned.
[Oct 29, 2004 3:12:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rastigi

I think its an either/or deal. My apoth stall won't produce basic labor if its already produced skilled labor for the hour.
Bubbablue,
SO of Bubba Gump Shrimpin' Co.
Vote Bubba for President in '08, cause Shrimpin' is Great!
Cleaver wrote: 
Anything else? Please don't say, 'Make everything FREEEEEE!!1!!'

[Oct 29, 2004 3:19:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

Well, this is the easiest (and best) to have it. What about the spreadsheets everyone does? Are there any updated public ones? Would be a useful 'resource' to have.
Nemesis wrote: 
You ruined my joke, Goth.
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 
Goth is right. *shudders*

[Nov 23, 2004 1:57:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Parrithead

Edit Managers Tab Reply to this Post

What happened to the Edit Managers tab? There is none on my IM shop on Papaya, which I just opened after the latest release
[Feb 14, 2005 10:49:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kaykordeath

What size stall?
tht guy hird me 2 b a om
[Feb 14, 2005 11:21:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Parrithead

Edit Managers Tab Reply to this Post

Tis the small stall. Discovered they're not allowed managers. Wish that was part of the startup yer own stall screen <hint hint>
[Feb 14, 2005 11:31:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Re: Edit Managers Tab Reply to this Post

Parrithead wrote: 
Tis the small stall. Discovered they're not allowed managers. Wish that was part of the startup yer own stall screen <hint hint>

Aye, there's quite a bit of information already but adding this in would be good. Ye can always upgrade yer stall to gain managers.
[Feb 14, 2005 12:25:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
lucky2bme

but Reply to this Post

But every time ye upgrade dont you have to pay that new rent fee?
and it doesnt even reset the rent clock...or whatever ye wanna call it
[Apr 7, 2005 5:13:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Agham

Thanks for the information, proved verry helpful, but there's still something I need to figure out (sorry if it's a newb question)

In case of an Ironworking shoppe/stall, how do I manage to have cannonballs automatically ready for sale (from ported ships)?.. Do I order them myself from the stall then put them in inventory?
Agham, a greenie all over again.
[Apr 9, 2005 10:41:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Agham wrote: 
In case of an Ironworking shoppe/stall, how do I manage to have cannonballs automatically ready for sale (from ported ships)?.. Do I order them myself from the stall then put them in inventory?

Aye.
[Apr 9, 2005 10:43:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

in terms of paying for rent upgrades to stalls, if you wait till almost the end of your week just before the rent is due, you'll waste less prepaid rent.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Apr 10, 2005 7:02:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
buddles

hi there,
Ive recently bought a weavery stall and have a question (probabably a stupid one) to ask you.

How is the work done on orders in my shoppe? does my staff actually have to be in the shoppe or just logged on?

Kind regards Buddles (owner of the legendary pink bandanna)
[May 10, 2005 8:41:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rappak

Nope. Since there is no puzzle for the weaveries, hours just get added on. People do not have to be there to have the hours applied.

Now I have a question. When ordered get abandoned, does canceling the order give me back the commods or does it just get rid of the sword entirely?
Rappak, memmer of the oceans.

Rappak- Ex-king of Something Powerful (Cobalt)/ex-Lord of Indestructible Fury, a caged free-bird forever.
Rappak- Officer in Easily Distracted (Midnight)/Mem helper in CT/Where am I?
[May 10, 2005 10:07:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vurogj

Ye can't cancel an order that has had any labour applied to it. Abandoned orders are ones that have remained uncollected a month after completion.
Older, crankier,
still haz da phat haiku skillz.
Tawnee on Midnight.
Apollo says, "Tawnee, I should have known you were involved."
[May 10, 2005 10:24:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    vurogj    vurojg [Link]  Go to top 
shagie

Rappak wrote: 
Nope. Since there is no puzzle for the weaveries, hours just get added on. People do not have to be there to have the hours applied.

Now I have a question. When ordered get abandoned, does canceling the order give me back the commods or does it just get rid of the sword entirely?

Cancling abandoned orders is something done in Virdian tailors fairly often - who wants to deliver junk and pay for it?

It does not give you back the commodites, it just kills it from the queue.
[May 10, 2005 10:32:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 60   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates