• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 58
Posts: 58   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 13123 times and has 57 replies Next Thread
Glaucus
OceanMaster

Puzzle Pirates Privation Poetry Parody Participatory - Results Posted! Reply to this Post

It seemed like a typical weekend. Gaea and I were all set to work the early shift on Sunday morning. But all was not well on the oceans. No matter how many times we hit the Refresh button; we were unable to connect to the pirate world.

Instead of a routine shift spent answering petitions and investigating complaints, we found ourselves locked out in the cold. We worried about the short and long term effects of YPP withdrawal. We hit the Refresh button some more. And then we realized that once things came back online, perhaps it would be therapeutic for people to be able to share their feelings and experiences about the outage. And if we were really clever, we could do it in a fun way and reward people for their creative outpourings. And lo, the Puzzle Pirates Privation Poetry Parody Participatory was born. Then we hit the Refresh button again.

Rules:

1. Find a poem that you like and want to parody. You will need to be able to provide a link to the poem itself or sufficient proof of its existence. A really good place to look for a poem is the Verse section of Bartleby; found here: http://www.bartleby.com/verse/

2. Compose a parody based on the poem you found. The poem should be about your experience on Sunday, or more generic Puzzle Pirate withdrawal if you like.

3. Post your parody in the entry thread, along with a link to the original poem and your pirate's name and ocean. 1 entry (poem) per pirate. Please also include your preferred prize priority.

4. The deadline for this event is 1 week from today, or 11:59:59 PM (pirate time) Tuesday September 9th

Prizes include:

-A specially named commemorative longship
-A free standard rename (your choice) for a small or medium ship. You provide the ship (sloop, cutter, dhow, longship, merchant brig, war brig, or baghlah), we'll do the rename.
-A grey and white parrot feather trinket for writing your next masterpiece
-A divehelm in the color of your choice (no black, gold, or atlantean) for that cool echo effect when you scream
-Fabulous furniture for funneling frustrations
- A tote bag to take with you on your forays into the big, scary world.

Oh, and you never know who might toss in a doll or something shiny if you write really good parodies about your suffering.

Please ask any questions in this thread and make sure to put your entry over here before the deadline!

Questions about the outage itself? Check out this thread: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=109357
----------------------------------------
Crotchetiness by Dexla.
[Edit 5 times, last edit by Gaea at Sep 21, 2008 2:00:47 PM]
[Sep 2, 2008 7:35:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ilyarus2004

Re: Puzzle Pirates Privation Poetry Parody Participatory - Deadline September 9th Reply to this Post

Atlantean Diving Helmet???
Ilya on most of the oceans,
Russian on Midnight.

Hypnos tells ye, "i burn u"

Avatars by Silverransom, Domokun, Shortyjack and Tilinka!
[Sep 2, 2008 9:24:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
practitioner

Re: Puzzle Pirates Privation Poetry Parody Participatory - Deadline September 9th Reply to this Post

Wow very nice thank you have placed my entry already. I wonder what the shiny thing could be, and to win a doll would be something really special. But just being able to have a little vent was a fantastic idea.
Delores of Emerald ocean.

Always yield to temptation, because it may not pass your way again.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
[Sep 2, 2008 10:21:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Glaucus
OceanMaster

If the Gorgonyx says that Atlantean stuff can only come from Atlantis, you listen to the Gorgonyx.
Crotchetiness by Dexla.
[Sep 2, 2008 11:15:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mrblack22

...god of the sea...think youd be able to control atlantis...if this changes your mind the only moral thing to do would be to give me an atlantean swash...if it doesnt still give me a swash (choose between the colors black and gold) for trying to pursuade the great god of the sea
[Edit 1 times, last edit by mrblack22 at Sep 3, 2008 3:55:55 AM]
[Sep 3, 2008 3:47:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
seb_long_uk

Fun!
Domokun
Avatar by the incredible Tilinka
[Sep 3, 2008 7:03:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    My other sloop is a Gold/Gold rename [Link]  Go to top 
Gaea
OceanMaster

Excellent news! After many bribes and much pleading (I sent an email and said "please"), I have managed to wrest (they said "yeah, sure!") an Official Puzzle Pirates Tote Bag from head office with which to further the noble cause of Parodying Poetry. This is not pixels; this is for you! Imagine all the things you could put in it: books, a laptop, curiously-shaped pebbles, small children...

To sum: We're adding a tote bag to the list of prizes. You may want to go and edit your entries (which are so far filling me with glee), specifically the order of prize preference to reflect this. :-)

-Gaea,
purloiner of packing-products for poetry parody prize purposes.
A Pirate says, "u know OMs are much nicer than i thought"
[Sep 3, 2008 3:46:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Frostburnx

The reference was to the color "Atlantean" as in you can't color your Diving helmet in black, gold or Atlantean :)

also HOORAY!

/em gets to writing!
Liliene on Cerulean
[Sep 4, 2008 7:14:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/taradavis [Link]  Go to top 
Ilyarus2004

The reference was to the color "Atlantean" as in you can't color your Diving helmet in black, gold or Atlantean :)

also HOORAY!

/em gets to writing!

He edited it used to be no black or gold.
Ilya on most of the oceans,
Russian on Midnight.

Hypnos tells ye, "i burn u"

Avatars by Silverransom, Domokun, Shortyjack and Tilinka!
[Sep 4, 2008 7:40:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Frostburnx

My parody has been posted! Huzzah!
Liliene on Cerulean
[Sep 5, 2008 9:18:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/taradavis [Link]  Go to top 
willowwoman3

Aww I wanted to do The Raven, ah well never mind hope you like my alternative
Nice Pirates don't curse...........I never said i was nice
[Sep 7, 2008 4:05:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gaea
OceanMaster

You can still do The Raven, if you like! We've got no problem with poem-duplication.
[Sep 7, 2008 4:57:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ray_Leo

Is there a preview of the tote bag? the size? the look? colour?
Sharkiez, Sage
My first comic
[Sep 8, 2008 1:51:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gordo036

Is there a preview of the tote bag? the size? the look? colour?

The tote bag can be seen here ;o)

Great fun on the event anyways, it was neat to take one of my favourite poets and pretend to be a piratey version of them for a verse or two!
Nuemenor

Auzziemoo officer chats, "quite a few lazers. im pretty sure not all of them are gunning or writing a book"
Freja says, "if you survive a week - you will be ready to help us scare the next new pirate half to death"
[Sep 8, 2008 2:44:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kgarrett1969

I have a question. Is the fabulous Furniture for funneling frustrations rare type furniture or furniture readily available for purchase from a furnisher? This really makes a pretty big difference in my prize preferance order should my Poetry Parody been found worthy of a prize.

Didn't really relize how my feelings would come you till I started writing. >.>
Hawkings
Captain & Tactitian of Odin's Demise
King of Morrowind
Citizen of Viridian

Apollo wrote, "Hawkings has changed my life. ;)"
[Sep 8, 2008 9:04:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
seb_long_uk

I have a question. Is the fabulous Furniture for funneling frustrations rare type furniture or furniture readily available for purchase from a furnisher? This really makes a pretty big difference in my prize preferance order should my Poetry Parody been found worthy of a prize.

Aye, question seconded. :D

While I'm at it: Are we allowed to make edits to the prize list at any time?
Domokun
[Edit 1 times, last edit by seb_long_uk at Sep 8, 2008 12:20:59 PM]
[Sep 8, 2008 12:19:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    My other sloop is a Gold/Gold rename [Link]  Go to top 
Frostburnx

/em gasps audibly

CRAZYONCOWS!! Ye be a pirate after me own heart! A wonderful poetic parody you did, and of a Lewis Carroll poem indeed! I am a HUGE fan of Carroll and especially everything he did involving Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, HUZZAH!
Liliene on Cerulean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Frostburnx at Sep 8, 2008 2:24:29 PM]
[Sep 8, 2008 2:22:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/taradavis [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

/em gasps audibly

CRAZYONCOWS!! Ye be a pirate after me own heart! A wonderful poetic parody you did, and of a Lewis Carroll poem indeed! I am a HUGE fan of Carroll and especially everything he did involving Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, HUZZAH!

/e sighs

From the start I had planned to do Jabberwocky. Now I must think of something else (I know it is still allowed to use the same poem but...)
Ah well
Pletoo of Sage
[Sep 8, 2008 5:47:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Frostburnx

aye I had almost done The Raven, but I picked another one :)
Liliene on Cerulean
[Sep 8, 2008 5:52:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/taradavis [Link]  Go to top 
Gaea
OceanMaster

Aye, question seconded. :D

While I'm at it: Are we allowed to make edits to the prize list at any time?

The furniture will be an assortment of purchaseable furniture of varying costliness, and you can edit any part of your post, including the prize preference priority, right up until the deadline.

- Gaea,
adores alliteration awesomely and amiably.
[Sep 8, 2008 6:43:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ddraigeneth

It seems The Raven is quite popular indeed! I also chose to seek out a new piece, simply in the interest of variety.

I enjoy Poe's work in general, but the flow and rhythm of The Raven is just so...wow. I took the time a couple of years ago to memorize it verse by verse...not much occasion to recite it, but I take slight pride in the accomplishment none-the-less.

At least I'd only completed one verse...

Once upon a morning dreary, while I woke up, vision bleary
Still my head was filled with dreams, and visions, as I'd lain
Alchemizing morning brew, adding cream, and sugar, too
Stirring, sitting back and sipping, warming up my brain
Sparks did fizzle as I sat there, waking up my brain
Stir the brew, and sip again

Gwiddon d'Sage - Making her own avatars since 2005
DeviantART

Is yer sword a foil?
[Sep 8, 2008 10:34:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ddraigeneth

Arctichopper wrote: 
yea im late too but pls accept this poem pls

the link:http://piracylife.wordpress.com/poems/

poem:

On Sunday, I met a pirate,
He really was quite mean.
The look of his face,
And his greasy embrace,
It made my face turn green!

A) http://www.kidsturncentral.com/topics/hobbies/kidspoems12.htm
B) Your link is to the poem you claim to have written, not to an original
C) The poem does not match the prompt in any way
D) The deadline was passed

Considering the avatar currently being used by this person was also stolen for a competition entry, I would question the validity of anything else he has submitted on these forums.

I hope such blatant, repeated thievery will not be ignored.
Gwiddon d'Sage - Making her own avatars since 2005
DeviantART

Is yer sword a foil?
[Sep 10, 2008 2:33:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kargach

No worries, I have no doubt that any entry after the deadline would not be considered for prizes, whether the entry was stolen or not. >8)
Kargach of the Midnight Ocean
Captain of the Champions of Valhalla, and occasionally good at forum contests
[Sep 10, 2008 4:20:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Frostburnx

what in the SCUPPERING HECK! That is the THIRD plagiarized event entry I have seen from this person in less than a month!!! How IRRITATING!

I don't like to be a drama llama, but seriously, I am thinking of posting a warning thread or something about this person, because it's honestly getting out of hand!
Liliene on Cerulean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Frostburnx at Sep 10, 2008 8:45:01 PM]
[Sep 10, 2008 8:44:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/taradavis [Link]  Go to top 
seb_long_uk

A simple forum ban for him would be nice.
Domokun
[Sep 11, 2008 6:42:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    My other sloop is a Gold/Gold rename [Link]  Go to top 
Crazyoncows

/em gasps audibly

Thanks =D
Yours is really good too, I remember looking at the entries before mine and thinking after reading yours, WOAH that's good! [:

I love poems ^__^.
Ror.

Apocryphal on Hunter, regardless of what it says on the avatar.
<3
[Sep 13, 2008 7:30:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Frostburnx

Yay! Thanks!
Liliene on Cerulean
[Sep 13, 2008 7:42:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/taradavis [Link]  Go to top 
joandart

what in the SCUPPERING HECK! That is the THIRD plagiarized event entry I have seen from this person in less than a month!!! How IRRITATING!

I don't like to be a drama llama, but seriously, I am thinking of posting a warning thread or something about this person, because it's honestly getting out of hand!

I don't think you are being over-dramatic at all! The people who cheat are essentially attempting to steal from everyone who actually put time, thought, and effort into creating something. That ruins the fun we're all trying to share here!
Herowena of Cerulean
Still Sleeping With The Fishes

[Sep 13, 2008 9:49:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Frostburnx

This isn't the thread for tarting, but I sent that kid a PM just to say HEY it's wrong to plagiarize and he should stop, and he had the nerve to write me back and claim it's all his work and that all those other people stole it from him. WTH!? UGH! I need to inquire as to if anyone has ever been banned from the event forums.

ugh, sorry, I will stop my tarting, just aggravating.
Liliene on Cerulean
[Sep 13, 2008 10:00:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/taradavis [Link]  Go to top 
RayvynRoze

I think you can probably submit the issue to Apollo or another OM (although Apollo is the OM of awesomeness as far a Mariner Musey events go, imho). I know people can be banned from the forums, but I'm not sure if they can be banned from particular sections of the forum. Seriously, try submitting a complaint cause after following up on the guy's submissions it's pretty obvious he just ganks material from the internet for most, if not all of his submissions.
Alethia on Midnight
Senior Officer
Tyr's Own

"One might say that there are occasions in which barrelstoppery is best combatted with bigger and better barrelstoppery."
[Sep 14, 2008 2:08:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 58   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates