• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 32
Posts: 32   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 13299 times and has 31 replies Next Thread
Trogo1

Password for Pirate Deletion ~ update 8/27 Reply to this Post

I think that we should keep the password for pirate deletion, because if there's a mis-click, then everything'll be loose from your hands >.> and it provides verification to allow the pirate to think it over before entering the pass. And it *feels* more safe to enter pass before clicking to prevent deletion XD

Edit: Suggestions?
----------------------------------------
Trogo on Viridian.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Trogo1 at Aug 30, 2008 2:45:03 AM]
[Aug 30, 2008 2:39:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inschato

Re: Password for Pirate Deletion ~ update 8/27 Reply to this Post

There would have to be two misclicks, There is still a confirmation, just no password required. Though I do think we might as well still require the password. In the -rare- circumstance where you try to log on, see the "server is under heavy load" message, so you go afk for a couple minutes, and come back to find it's logged on, but all your characters are gone thanks to your lil bro/sis.
-Undisputed Overlord of the Emerald Ocean
[Aug 30, 2008 3:27:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Yes, there is still a confirmation button, so it does require two clicks, however I do agree, it feels safer to require a password. I think the optimal solution would be to make another checkbox in the options menu for "Require passwod for deletion" and make it global for the account.
Pletoo of Sage
[Aug 30, 2008 5:08:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

I think requiring you to type out the pirate's name before being able to click Delete would make more sense. What wouldn't be a bad idea is taking away the Delete buttons from below each pirate on the selection menu and putting a solo delete button somewhere else on that page.
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Aug 30, 2008 5:13:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nunny_45

Thats one of the things you want a password for 0_o, i bet one day ill accidentaly delete my pirate without realising it... (and yes it can happen, even with 2 buttons to go through)
Nunny
[Sep 2, 2008 5:26:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randompanzy

although if it happens if you tell the OM's they can return it for you so it isnt so bad

but i support the password being there as well it feels weird without it
Randompanzy from Viridian now sailing on Obsidian
SO of Lion's Roar
Titled Member of Placeholder
The views on my post are of my own and not my flag.

Tranquilized says, u kno yer notorious for lagging? xD

[Sep 3, 2008 3:06:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.teamepsilon.net    phillip1904    GB Fayt    I'm a little kitty that goes MOO! :D [Link]  Go to top 
Trogo1

although if it happens if you tell the OM's they can return it for you so it isnt so bad

I never knew that... but although, when you delete your pirate, your ships go up for grabs? i think? then once the OM's drag your dead pirate from Davy Jone's Locker your ships are goners >.>
Trogo on Viridian.
[Sep 3, 2008 8:24:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kierra214

I never knew that... but although, when you delete your pirate, your ships go up for grabs? i think? then once the OM's drag your dead pirate from Davy Jone's Locker your ships are goners >.>

Deleted pirates are held in a kind of limbo for 10 days during which their name cannot be taken by new pirates and they can still be resurrected by the OMs. Presumably, their ships are unavailable "for grabs" (and their stalls/houses/etc still exist) during this time as well, though I'm not sure if that has been tested.

Edit for spelling
Magrat
SO of Polish War Fog
Viridian
[Edit 2 times, last edit by kierra214 at Sep 3, 2008 8:47:39 AM]
[Sep 3, 2008 8:44:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Momma_Wolf

I sincerely do not want to be the one that *does* test this. Please put the password requirement back
Mommawolf, lurking on most oceans
Captain, Blackwolf Marauders of Midnight, now Cerulean
Queen, Victory Raiders of Midnight, now Cerulean

cmdrzoom said:

Anyone may demand answers of the gods.
Getting them is another matter.

[Sep 3, 2008 11:26:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Trogo1

I sincerely do not want to be the one that *does* test this. Please put the password requirement back

I don't think that anyone would want to test this... I second putting the pass back XD
Trogo on Viridian.
[Sep 5, 2008 5:12:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
katieinsane1

I just know that i can easily press 2 buttons by accident, especially if logging in a little worse for ware if you know what i mean *hiccups* <.<

I vote for the password back.....
Katiana, Everywhere
Captain of Ships Stuck in Port
Queen of Bragol Thalion
[Sep 5, 2008 5:16:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

I think requiring you to type out the pirate's name before being able to click Delete would make more sense.

I agree that making you type your pirates name in order to delete would be better than the password. You are used to typing your password on the login pages so your fingers can type it out of habit, but you are not used to typing in your pirate name. Right now, the pirate's name on the delete page is not over the pirate, like it is on the login page, and is easily overlooked.

What wouldn't be a bad idea is taking away the Delete buttons from below each pirate on the selection menu and putting a solo delete button somewhere else on that page.

I'm not as keen on this part, you don't normally hit those buttons on the bottom anyway, so I don't think it needs to be that much harder to hit the delete button.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Sep 5, 2008 5:29:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I'm not as keen on this part, you don't normally hit those buttons on the bottom anyway, so I don't think it needs to be that much harder to hit the delete button.

Actually I DO hit them often enough that being moved would be a good thing. When I am tired (and probably shouldn't be playing anyway) I sometimes just gravitate towards the button without really thinking about it (it is a button after all, not just a picture.)
Pletoo of Sage
[Sep 5, 2008 6:25:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Momma_Wolf

Perhaps a better way would be to totally remove the delete pirate button from the log in screen, and put it on your account page?

Yes, you'd have to intentionally go TO said page, but it would eliminate any accidental deletions from over work, over tired or overly celebrating, and would also prevent your little sister/brother or cat from hitting just the right combination of buttons.
Mommawolf, lurking on most oceans
Captain, Blackwolf Marauders of Midnight, now Cerulean
Queen, Victory Raiders of Midnight, now Cerulean

cmdrzoom said:

Anyone may demand answers of the gods.
Getting them is another matter.

[Sep 8, 2008 3:15:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Syrus322

I think requiring you to type out the pirate's name before being able to click Delete would make more sense.

I agree that making you type your pirates name in order to delete would be better than the password. You are used to typing your password on the login pages so your fingers can type it out of habit, but you are not used to typing in your pirate name. Right now, the pirate's name on the delete page is not over the pirate, like it is on the login page, and is easily overlooked.

i understand where u are going with this but the fact is if ur logged on maybe ur little brother or sister could delete it (it has happened to me before wen the password thing was in they knew my pass n presto no more me) but i vote the password thing and no username or pirate name one
[Sep 8, 2008 5:49:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

i understand where u are going with this but the fact is if ur logged on maybe ur little brother or sister could delete it (it has happened to me before wen the password thing was in they knew my pass n presto no more me) but i vote the password thing and no username or pirate name one

If, as in your case, someone else has your password, there is nothing you can do to stop them from deleting your pirate.

If you are already playing the game, you can't delete the pirate, since logging off requires you to re-enter your password

If you are on the "select a pirate" screen, you will eventually time out. I could see the timeout being much shorter than it is now, but I doubt many people walk away from the computer while on that screen.

Basically, the password adds very little protection from pirates being deleted maliciously. It does add a little bit of protection from accidental deletions, but I think entering the name would be much more effective protection from accidental deletions.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Sep 8, 2008 6:18:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Trogo1

All we need is to type something and it'll prevent misclicks XD But it's either pass or name of pirate or...?
Trogo on Viridian.
[Sep 8, 2008 8:37:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Master15S

All we need is to type something and it'll prevent misclicks XD But it's either pass or name of pirate or...?

The answer to a secret Question! (Question not on page, nor see-able from any page; you just have to remember your ANSWER. That would prevent ANY of it, unless your said little sibling was old enough to know your answer O.O then there is no hope XD)
PadmeMaster-- Only playing when she feels like it

I'm SICK of moving. Yay for one last move for a while!

[Sep 8, 2008 11:22:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Padmemaster.googlepages.com [Link]  Go to top 
Trogo1

The answer to a secret Question! (Question not on page, nor see-able from any page; you just have to remember your ANSWER. That would prevent ANY of it, unless your said little sibling was old enough to know your answer O.O then there is no hope XD)

Hell YEAH! Secret Q/A for each and different pirate XD that way there can be NO ACCIDENT xD
Trogo on Viridian.
[Sep 9, 2008 8:39:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
frogkissed11

There have been times where I was trying to delete an alt on the account, gone to the second page, and only after i hit delete there realized I'd clicked the wrong one. (which is very easy to do when the alts look similar) It was only having to enter my password in that gave me enough pause to realize it was not the correct alt. I'm sorry, but I don't *mind* having to put my password in a second time. I'm all for the added security. There are plenty of times, especially lately, where I will try to log on, and when I get the server down message, will walk away from the computer, leaving the client still up, with my password entered for the next try. I know I can't be alone in doing this. It would make it so easy for someone to click the log in button and delete.
JainaSolo, sheepish jedi
Blazeblade says, "you're talking to a SHEEP?"
[Sep 14, 2008 8:18:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

I am really quite curious as to the reasoning behind this change. It does seem a bit random to me, but I assume that either:
A) Some Ringer had made a slew of testing alts and was irritated at having to type a password to delete each one.
B) People were complaining who are not currently speaking up in gratitude.
C) One less drag on the server.
D) It was just another of those things that was done in preparation for something else that we mortals have not yet seen.

Personally, I prefer D, the mystery is intriguing. I still say, however, if it were A or B, the best route would be to give us an option to have it or not. If it is C or D we will have to wait and see.
Pletoo of Sage
[Sep 14, 2008 8:43:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Trogo1

option

I guess it's good to have an option... because some alt-filled-people would rather have some fast clicky clicks while their main accounts to have a confirmation. But who knows why the ringers changed it? I would've very much rather it be back to the "Password-required" status :)
Trogo on Viridian.
[Sep 15, 2008 9:14:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randompanzy

i just though about it it might of been done to help lower lag. as the server needs to check if the password is right before deletion.
Randompanzy from Viridian now sailing on Obsidian
SO of Lion's Roar
Titled Member of Placeholder
The views on my post are of my own and not my flag.

Tranquilized says, u kno yer notorious for lagging? xD

[Sep 18, 2008 5:58:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.teamepsilon.net    phillip1904    GB Fayt    I'm a little kitty that goes MOO! :D [Link]  Go to top 
Riz

For the relative infrequency that pirates are deleted, and a single column query on an indexed field (pirate id), the database overhead is so small as to be irrelevant. Based on the release notes, clearly the only rationale for this change is that it is redundant to have to enter your password again, since you just entered it to get to the pirate selection screen anyway. As with many others in this thread, I think this is a misguided "optimization", and I urge the devs to reconsider.
[Sep 18, 2008 7:04:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kanji_Kana

You must like shaming people with big words.
You could have said it alot easier, making the younger audience able to read your unnecesesarily long post. O.O
Ichirin no Hana is my favorite song. ^.^
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Kanji_Kana at Oct 23, 2008 11:26:18 AM]
[Oct 23, 2008 11:24:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Minding the bump.

I see nothing wrong with his wording. This is Ice Discussion, not New Player Forum, and we're expected to have some level of proficiency to help the devs test features.

Being that our audience, many times, are the devs themselves, they can understand long words perfectly well and it is an efficient way to get our point across.
Retired as of August 2015.
2 Timothy 4:7
[Oct 23, 2008 1:26:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Galene
OceanMaster

Deleted pirates are held in a kind of limbo for 10 days during which their name cannot be taken by new pirates and they can still be resurrected by the OMs. Presumably, their ships are unavailable "for grabs" (and their stalls/houses/etc still exist) during this time as well, though I'm not sure if that has been tested.Edit for spelling
Not all pirate deletions end up in this saved "limbo". You should always use caution when deleting. With that said, what happens if the pirate does go into holding?

The best way to explain what happens is to think of the deleted pirate as simply having been moved to another account temporarily. All their belongings remain on them. Deeds are not placed on market bidding tables. Furniture is not reclaimed or deleted. Absolutely nothing changes. We've simply moved the entire pirate to a temporary holding area for a few days. Once that time frame is over, the pirate is purged completely from the system and can not be recovered.

Please make sure if there are others around who might attempt to access your account, that you log out completely before you go AFK. There is worse they can do than delete your pirate. They could complete the log in process and do something that gets your account banned, which prevents you from ever getting a new account again.
Galene
(12:24:59 PM) Oceanus: Hahaha ur ded on teh grond
[Nov 4, 2008 11:53:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/galene/ [Link]  Go to top 
Mirkwood23

Please put the password back. I have done stupider things in just two clicks.
Bigwood
All Oceans

Sailor song YPP animation HI-RES
Thanks to Zacthedragon, please wait while loading
(Buying sloops with Eel in name)
[Nov 8, 2008 4:13:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
madzack2918

Yes, I know this is an old thread, but after accidently deleting a pirate, I felt the need to revive this discussion.

Please put the password back. I have done stupider things in just two clicks.

Omegaking of Emerald

Antix says, "Jesus was technically buried in a rock trap, and he came out alive. So I think it's a sign you have to rock trap."
Geologist says, "Wait, you're comparing Kory to Jesus?"

[Jul 10, 2009 10:45:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheRack

Time for a shift to Game Design?

But having just deleted a pirate, I was surprised how easy it was. A 5 second inconvenience doing something I do maybe once in 6 months is worth while safe guard to prevent me accidentally wipe out countless hours of YPP!
Cephalopod, on poker, wrote: 
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it isn't rigged.

Period. End of story.

[Jul 11, 2009 7:28:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 32   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates