• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 42
Posts: 42   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 13681 times and has 41 replies Next Thread
seb_long_uk

Monkey Ship page Reply to this Post

Ahoys!

There is a great deal of confusion about the Monkey Ships, and while there is (at the moment) not a great deal known about them, updating the wiki page should be a first priority, so that confuzzled pirates can be directed there. Might I also suggest a disambiguation with the familiar 'Monkey' page?

Sources of use:

Hephaestus greeter chats, "Essentially, if you are floating a ship full of fruit, and especially if you're floating two ships with fruit on, and attacking each other to avoid combat with anyone else, then you'll get monkeyed."

http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/spyglass/entry/a_little_monkey_business

and the ICE discussion thread.
----------------------------------------
Domokun
Avatar by the incredible Tilinka
[Aug 28, 2008 4:50:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    My other sloop is a Gold/Gold rename [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Re: Monkey Ship page Reply to this Post

Here are two more statements from official-types :P

here :
Arcturus wrote: 
Rampaging Monkeys - These guys are in many ways NOT like El Pollo Diablo. First, they're intended to be beatable, in the right circumstances. Go fighting the monkeys with a full ship and you should have a reasonable chance. Take them on by yourself on your Grand Frigate full of fruit and you'll have more trouble. Obviously, we'll be continuing to adjust their difficulty to achieve that balance.

and here:
Hypnos wrote: 
The monkey boat is not to discourage or replace PvP by any means. Obviously we'll need to tweak settings to get things right, but to clarify: the ship is meant to be fun for people that set out to find it, and to deter people from floating understaffed vessels

Pletoo of Sage
[Aug 28, 2008 9:50:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cephalopod
Developer

Monkey Ships

Just to weigh in on the single most important bit here, the correct term is "Monkey Boat" since it sounds so much more awesome. Bonus points for correctly spelling it "Munkee Bote", or better yet, also capitalizing it properly as "MUNKEE BOTE"
[Aug 28, 2008 9:53:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
s_shutters

I attempted to hunt the elusive MUNKEE BOTE today.

(as a guide i was using gunnermoch's experiences on the ice ocean)

I used 2 sloops, one crammed full of coconuts, the other with a meager supply of rum and cbs.

the coconut ship had 3 other pirates and a bot.

the other just my solo officer alt.

both ships deport, solo ship attackes the coconut, both disengage.

no monkeys.

floated a while... brigand came along, solo ship re-engaged coconut ship to avoid battle..... brigands got the solo ship.... grrr

waited for battle to be over.... floated... barbarianss came...

re-engaged same way... barbs got the conocut ship.... double grr.

gave up.

where did i phail with all this munkee business? discuss.
Steven on Meridian
[Edit 1 times, last edit by s_shutters at Aug 28, 2008 4:00:53 PM]
[Aug 28, 2008 3:59:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inschato

I think BOTH ships are supposed to have fruit on them, s_shutters.
-Undisputed Overlord of the Emerald Ocean
[Aug 28, 2008 4:01:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
s_shutters

Well, as i understand it, only the heavier laden ship will get the monkeys from gunnermooch's tests.

But that's a thought, they may have changed that since he did that.
Steven on Meridian
[Aug 29, 2008 9:04:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StoRmr

The trouble is, that because they're new and sound cool, everyone wants to pilly against monkeys, and of course not all of them know even how to go up against monkeys. If they do work out how, they'll probably just end up spending all their PoE just getting fruit so they can try to face monkeys. But, if they don't face the monkeys...........well then they just wasted peoples time and their money for nothing.
Chaosburner/Doomslayer

No Ocean in particular, most likely hunter

Otherpirate says: "oh whanidotimfrlsnmpsswrd"

Chaosburner says: "can you talk common sense please?"

Otherpirate says: "sorry, i can't understand yo
[Aug 30, 2008 10:28:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

I foraged for my fruit - more fun that way. I still didn't manage to encounter the monkey boat, though, even though my ships attacked each other eight times...
[Aug 30, 2008 5:56:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
KrustyRusty

i had those seimens attack me and all i had onboard at the time was rum,shot and 5 gems ,i though eww kewl a pvp but not to be just a shop full of monkeys
CaptainSly
Captain of Soul Asylum
King of United Fury
[Sep 1, 2008 8:01:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gunnermooch

Well, as i understand it, only the heavier laden ship will get the monkeys from gunnermooch's tests.

But that's a thought, they may have changed that since he did that.

Just won this trophy on Hunter and only one vessel had fruit aboard it. We attacked my alts sloop about 3-4 times before we got the "MUNKEE BOTE", we were using a cutter with 3 main characters on it. The sloop had 4-5 alt pirates just to even up the might ring a little as we wanted the "MUNKEE BOTE" and not a slaughter by the blackship.

Edit: the sloop that helped us get the MUNKEE BOTE only started out with 50 units of rum, no shot or fruit.
Dalnoth wrote: He was going on an on about some Cybersex with a 13 year old accusation, however I immediately dismissed the claim based on the fact that slimbottom can't even type one whole sentence coherently let alone have cybersex.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by gunnermooch at Sep 2, 2008 11:46:55 AM]
[Sep 2, 2008 11:45:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
skiffygrrl

Well, peeps, just a bit of added information for y'all.

MONKEY SHIPS AREN'T RESTRICTED TO SLOOPS! (all caps intended :P)

Although Viridian is my main where I operate mostly, I was moving a load of fruit on sage earlier, soloing a MB. In hindsight, I should have loaded extra rum, but my bad, I didn't.

I apparently got targeted by a ship that was out monkey hunting, but I'm the one got the monk instead, a MB called the Adventurous Huckleberry.

So, are all you monkey hunters going to go out now and try different size ships with loads of fruit in order to determine the names of the different size monkey ships?

Have at it!!!
Adrianalidah and variants everywhere
Gwynhwyfahr in a few places

Current avatar courtesy of a game glitch, Halloween 2008
[Edit 2 times, last edit by skiffygrrl at Sep 4, 2008 6:14:35 AM]
[Sep 4, 2008 6:10:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.sff.net/people/a.gormley    skiffygrrl [Link]  Go to top 
seb_long_uk

Erm.. what made you think they were? They were designed to stop the double floating exploit, which doesn't hapen too often with sloops anyway, because of the small hold.

I'd say it was more likely that they weren't specifically designed for sloops at all, but for the obvious Merch ships, then the others added as an afterthought/added fun-factor.
Domokun
[Sep 5, 2008 4:03:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    My other sloop is a Gold/Gold rename [Link]  Go to top 
skiffygrrl

Erm.. what made you think they were? They were designed to stop the double floating exploit, which doesn't hapen too often with sloops anyway, because of the small hold.

I'd say it was more likely that they weren't specifically designed for sloops at all, but for the obvious Merch ships, then the others added as an afterthought/added fun-factor.

I never really thought the monkeys were limited to sloops, but the wiki states that the MUNKEE BOTE (note my now-corrected nomenclature) is a sloop, here: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Monkey_boat. So, whoever updates the wiki should correct this.

And, I thought it would also be cool to report the name of the monkey Merchant Brig, and eventually see a list of the names of all sizes of monkey boats out there.

And, yes, I knew the monkeys were added to discourage double-floating, which I heartily applaud.

[Sep 5, 2008 7:01:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.sff.net/people/a.gormley    skiffygrrl [Link]  Go to top 
gunnermooch

The name of the Cutter that we battled with us was named "Itinerant Pomegranate" so the first line of the wiki that states "The monkey boat, also known as the Petulant Kumquat" is wrong.

The spawn so far seems to be ship for ship. If you are on a Grand Frigate and they are forced on to you then you shall battle a Grand Frigate and the same goes for the rest. I've only tested this a few times and so far it seem to be correct.
Dalnoth wrote: He was going on an on about some Cybersex with a 13 year old accusation, however I immediately dismissed the claim based on the fact that slimbottom can't even type one whole sentence coherently let alone have cybersex.
[Sep 5, 2008 7:30:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
skiffygrrl

So, here's a list of ship types, with names inserted where known. Feel free to copy and edit

Sloop: Petulant Kumquat
Cutter: Itinerant Pomegranate
Dhow: ???
Baghlah: ???
Merchant Brig: Adventurous Huckleberry
War Brig: ???
Xebec: ???
Merchant Galleon: ???
War Frig: ???
Grand Frig: ???

I'm sure they all exist out there, all yellow-named and fruity :)

[Sep 5, 2008 8:19:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.sff.net/people/a.gormley    skiffygrrl [Link]  Go to top 
gunnermooch

So, here's a list of ship types, with names inserted where known. Feel free to copy and edit

Dhow: ???
Baghlah: ???
War Brig: Dogged Rhubarb
Xebec: ???
Merchant Galleon: ???
War Frig: ???
Grand Frig: ???

I'll get the rest now.
[Sep 5, 2008 10:05:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gunnermooch

Dhow: Resplendent Peach
Baghlah: Succulent Pear
Longship: Appealing Orange
War Brig: Dogged Rhubarb
Xebec: Overbearing Pineapple
Merchant Galleon: Vainglorious Plum
War Frig: Determined Pumpkin
Grand Frig: Juicy Watermelon

I'll get the rest now.

Updated and I added the Longship :P

Any chance someone can add these to the wiki? I want to go back to watching my film :P
[Edit 1 times, last edit by gunnermooch at Sep 5, 2008 1:47:10 PM]
[Sep 5, 2008 1:46:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gunnermooch

Forgot the image of the Melon!

[Sep 5, 2008 1:52:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
skiffygrrl

Bless you!

That's quite a list, and you, sir, are a peach :)

Oh, and thanks for adding the longship. I figured I was forgetting something, and, oddly, I own one :D

[Edit 1 times, last edit by skiffygrrl at Sep 5, 2008 2:26:35 PM]
[Sep 5, 2008 2:19:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.sff.net/people/a.gormley    skiffygrrl [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

I started up the MUNKEE BOTE article, and generally added information as I could understand it from the Ice discussion thread. I heard of two encounters - both of which named the ship the Petulant Kumquat - how foolish was I not to know they have a different name per vessel type :P

I'll try and work some of this new information into the article.
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Sep 6, 2008 12:14:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
seb_long_uk

I asked over /greeter if anyone had seen anything other than the Petulant Kumquat, and noone had, so I figured it was good enough to include in the article at the time. Good call on finding out the lot. *highfive*
Domokun
[Sep 6, 2008 4:58:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    My other sloop is a Gold/Gold rename [Link]  Go to top 
Z1Q

Well, I must say Thanks for the infomation for this.

Can you get monkeys for swordfighting, or just rumble?
Boom on Sage Ocean
Hanley on Hunter Ocean
Trib on Viridian Ocean
Senior Officer of Poorly Named Crew
Boom on sails here!
[Sep 7, 2008 7:08:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

I don't believe monkeys are capable of wielding a sword.
#TeamPurple
[Sep 7, 2008 8:02:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
skiffygrrl

I don't believe monkeys are capable of wielding a sword.

Totally correct. Monkeys rumble only, and use fruit for bludgeons :)

And a beautiful job of updating the wiki.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by skiffygrrl at Sep 7, 2008 8:19:43 AM]
[Sep 7, 2008 8:15:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.sff.net/people/a.gormley    skiffygrrl [Link]  Go to top 
Diver_Down

I'm mildly curious why there isn't a monkey named Daniel. Wouldn't this be the ideal place for the Dev Team to add some more sucking up to the High Captain?
Hildebrand of Silent Fools on Sage
Hilarion the labour alt on other doubloon oceans
[Sep 7, 2008 9:17:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gunnermooch

Just looking at the Wiki page I can see that some of the names and adjectives are still missing. Here is the ones from my chat log if someone has the time to go through them o.0

[18:45:42] Game over. Winners: Dexterous Fichte, Dexterous Kepler, Agitated Byron, Agile Diderot, Giggling Pascal, Determined Cellini, Animated Wordsworth, Giggling Maxwell, Crazy Mendel, Frugivorous Plato, Mad Beethoven, Angry Flaubert, Determined Kepler, Insane Goethe, Angry Leonardo, Agile Cellini, Churlish Diderot, Cheeky Proust, Giggling Pacioli, Laughing Husserl, Angry Spinoza, Vicious Emerson, Arboreal Mozart, Determined Virgil, Dexterous Cellini, Mischievous Virgil, Dexterous Babbage, Laughing Cervantes, Arboreal Hobbes, Dexterous Paine, Dexterous Cicero, Smirking Beethoven, Loopy Babbage, Insane Hobbes, Mischievous Emerson, Gibbering Malthus, Screaming Plato, Whooping Emerson, Howling Aristotle, Angry Vasari, Animated Tocqueville, Vicious Beethoven, Mischievous Jonson, Churlish Cicero, Angry Chopin, Hungry Cellini, Determined Leonardo, Hungry Dickens, Whooping Byron, Smirking Mozart, Agitated Plato, Smirking Newton, Giggling Blake, Crazy Babbage, Arboreal Shakespeare, Loopy Franklin, Howling Pacioli, Churlish Botticelli, Determined Socrates, Mad Shakespeare, Cheeky Bentham, Arboreal Socrates, Giddy Babbage, Loopy Spinoza, Gibbering Voltaire, Rapacious Hegel, Hungry Haydn, Determined Shelley, Rapacious Fichte, Hungry Euripedes, Giggling Kelvin, Arboreal Virgil, Vicious Racine, Agitated Schubert, Cheeky Darwin, Boisterous Hobbes, Smirking Cervantes.

[21:50:53] Game over. Winners: Whooping Raphael, Gibbering Spinoza, Insane Virgil, Howling Coleridge, Giddy Locke, Frugivorous Voltaire, Cheeky Haydn, Mischievous Leibniz, Animated Jonson, Screaming Hobbes, Gibbering Vasari, Hungry Michelangelo, Churlish Wordsworth, Hungry Newton, Insane Newton, Agile Byron, Famished Jefferson, Insane Dickens, Cackling Milton, Arboreal Leibniz, Animated Voltaire, Giddy Schubert, Famished Galileo, Whooping Milton, Famished Botticelli, Rapacious Kelvin, Frugivorous Mendel, Determined Marlowe, Crazy Beethoven, Whooping Leonardo, Determined Schubert, Cackling Hume, Arboreal Maxwell, Giddy Montesquieu, Cheeky Rousseau, Giddy Cicero, Determined Jefferson, Angry Pacioli.

[21:39:53] Game over. Winners: Giddy Rousseau, Agitated Shakespeare, Rapacious Copernicus, Boisterous Kierkegaard, Whooping Kelvin, Whooping Hobbes, Hungry Franklin, Cheeky Flaubert, Howling Galileo, Mad Copernicus, Famished Bentham, Loopy Plato.

[21:04:10] Game over. Winners: Famished Kierkegaard, Screaming Faraday, Whooping Kierkegaard, Smirking Paine, Giddy Tocqueville, Giggling Shakespeare, Famished Rousseau, Famished Blake, Crazy Emerson, Agitated Rousseau, Rapacious Galileo, Churlish Cervantes, Howling Flaubert, Churlish Bentham, Loopy Raphael, Famished Shakespeare, Cheeky Galileo, Insane Faraday, Whooping Galileo, Hungry Emerson, Giddy Darwin, Famished Kant, Howling Hegel, Agile Schopenhauer, Dexterous Michelangelo, Churlish Shakespeare, Agitated Hume, Smirking Maxwell, Agile Shakespeare, Howling Virgil.

[20:05:47] Game over. Winners: Gibbering Quesney, Hungry Cervantes, Screaming Malthus, Screaming Shelley, Gibbering Emerson, Giddy Michelangelo, Agile Descartes, Giggling Socrates, Frugivorous Shelley, Arboreal Proust, Dexterous Montesquieu, Giggling Wallace, Determined Quesney, Arboreal Aristotle, Dexterous Newton.

[18:26:33] Game over. Winners: Cackling Leibniz, Cheeky Euripedes, Loopy Faraday, Giddy Raphael, Mischievous Maxwell, Rapacious Goethe, Angry Bentham, Agitated Franklin, Rapacious Wordsworth, Hungry Socrates, Crazy Chopin, Animated Thoreau, Famished Mozart, Cheeky Emerson, Vicious Goethe, Animated Malthus, Insane Copernicus, Hungry Rousseau.

[18:13:39] Game over. Winners: Dexterous Darwin, Hungry Plato, Howling Vasari, Churlish Jonson, Agitated Pacioli, Angry Blake, Giddy Shelley, Laughing Malthus, Howling Goethe, Frugivorous Kelvin, Mad Maxwell, Boisterous Cicero, Cackling Bentham, Angry Kepler, Boisterous Leonardo, Giggling Aristotle, Agile Michelangelo, Giddy Blake, Screaming Proust, Agitated Schopenhauer, Rapacious Schopenhauer, Arboreal Cicero, Cheeky Mozart, Animated Coleridge, Mischievous Jefferson, Arboreal Darwin, Angry Hegel, Frugivorous Pascal, Cheeky Hegel, Gibbering Chopin, Dexterous Galileo, Churlish Descartes, Mischievous Hobbes, Whooping Dickens, Smirking Rousseau, Animated Virgil, Howling Rousseau, Arboreal Emerson, Boisterous Schopenhauer, Angry Kierkegaard, Loopy Malthus, Loopy Hobbes, Famished Hobbes, Animated Copernicus, Agile Babbage, Whooping Locke, Howling Haydn, Dexterous Thoreau, Crazy Galileo, Boisterous Wallace, Hungry Hegel, Smirking Byron, Dexterous Jefferson, Gibbering Haydn, Animated Fichte.

[18:06:50] Game over. Winners: Boisterous Proust, Frugivorous Marlowe, Hungry Hobbes, Frugivorous Malthus, Crazy Cervantes, Loopy Diderot, Famished Leibniz, Frugivorous Goethe, Agitated Jonson, Agile Bentham, Rapacious Byron, Whooping Beethoven, Loopy Mozart, Giddy Paine, Loopy Kelvin, Insane Quesney, Cheeky Descartes, Agitated Leibniz, Churlish Babbage, Vicious Hume, Churlish Euripedes, Insane Kelvin, Arboreal Hume, Famished Franklin.
[Sep 7, 2008 10:01:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

I have them all separated and sorted and duplicates eliminated. Now just finding links to all the names to throw up on the article :)

Awesome lists - thanks muchly!
#TeamPurple
[Sep 7, 2008 10:26:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gunnermooch

I have them all separated and sorted and duplicates eliminated. Now just finding links to all the names to throw up on the article :)

Awesome lists - thanks muchly!

You are welcome mate, I am just glad I am not sorting them.
[Sep 7, 2008 11:06:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Longest part of it all is finding the relevant Wikipedia articles for the names. I used Notepad++ to take out everything but the names and spaces. Then found a nifty online tool to remove duplicates and sort alphabetically. A little nitpicking to separate the adjectives - and I am all set!

Interesting find: Seems like they've typo'd Euripedes (Wikipedia and Google say it should be spelt Euripides ).
#TeamPurple
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Sagacious at Sep 7, 2008 11:11:49 AM]
[Sep 7, 2008 11:09:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

gunnermooch wrote: 
Just looking at the Wiki page I can see that some of the names and adjectives are still missing. Here is the ones from my chat log if someone has the time to go through them o.0

Aye, I could only put what I knew when I added that part, and I also knew someone would post some more names here shortly. But whoa, Gunny - you sure attack the monkey boat a lot. =)

Sagacious wrote: 
(Wikipedia and Google say it should be spelt Euripides ).

So do the Greeks. Ευριπι δης. =)

Mind you, I would have done it if I noticed this post first. No point in you going to all that effort for a project I started, Sagacious. =D
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Belthazar451 at Sep 7, 2008 3:16:14 PM]
[Sep 7, 2008 3:12:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 42   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates