• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 44
Posts: 44   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 36178 times and has 43 replies Next Thread
Clockwork

Sailing Puzzle Tips Reply to this Post

I've searched through the forum, and I haven't found any threads for tips on the sailing puzzle. I don't know if it's just because the terms 'sailing' 'puzzle' and 'help' are so common, but I found threads on most other puzzles.

I'm doing well at carpentry, swordfighiting and the bilge puzzle, but I just can't seem to get my head around sailing. Anyone got some pointers?
----------------------------------------
Marrcke
- Captain of the Royal FrogDogs
- Hailing from the Living Piranha
[Jul 31, 2003 2:59:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Re: Sailing Puzzle Tips Reply to this Post

You know, if we get enough of these, they might merit their own section of the forum . . . a section devoted to puzzle tips. It could perhaps wait until we have more puzzles, but I think it could go in now, considering the number of puzzles out there.

As for sailing . . . one good rule of thumb is work on the easiest and hardest platforms first. The easiest ones tend to be on top, and 2x2. The hardest ones are low on the screen and 3-2-1. The reason to work on the easy ones is that they give you more real estate to fiddle around, and provide room for pieces you may not need. The reason to work on harder low ones is that it's very easy to have something inadvertently drop from the completion of a higher puzzle into an inappropriate place on the bottom (you eventually become quite good at recognizing this).

Note that this same recognition can lead to rather advanced tactics: by mostly finishing an easy high and a harder low beneath it, you can wait for the piece that will finish the top one, and then the extra piece will drop down to the platform below and finish that one as well.

There are some other tips which have appeared here, but probably don't respond well to searches . . . like the fact that it is only the bottom of the two pieces that will "hit" a platform when they are aligned vertically, allowing you to move pieces THROUGH the platforms once the tip of the bottom piece passes that level when beside it.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by homullus at Jul 31, 2003 3:17:18 AM]
[Jul 31, 2003 3:17:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Sagittary

Another tip Reply to this Post

One 'trick' to learn is how to scoot pieces through/into tight spots. Recognizing the potential to put a particular piece in the most useful spot is vastly more useful once you figure out how you can finesse through a tight corner or space.

On the matter of scooting, something to realize is that pieces take a few moments to 'settle' into place. While this is happening, you can still move it (possibly off a ledge so it continues to fall) and rotate it.

Following up with that is that pieces are kinda ethereal. Once a piece is about half way past the lower border of something (shelf, another piece, whatever), it can be moved and rotated without getting caught up on the (shelf, piece, whatever). This means you can start scooting pieces around without waiting for the piece to line up which gives you a lot more time to fiddle with it.

Lastly, if you need a panic button, just toggle the chat window. Your piece will disappear but the board will remain; helpful if you want to keep at the board without worrying about a piece.
Darkwaters, Captain of the Sagely Swashbucklers, Owner of the Mean Stickleback & the Ignorant Grunion
[Jul 31, 2003 3:33:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
triskaideka

The best tip I ever read for sailing, and I don't remember now where I read it, is Use Pieces Efficiently. Try to keep the board as clear as possible. If you only have a couple of targets left and are getting pieces you don't need, don't just throw them somewhere. Use them to take out the square floating pieces, or build and clear new stacks while you're waiting for the right piece. It's pretty easy to set up your own combos when you have a clear section of the board to do it in. Also, as mentioned above, if you only need one ball to complete a target, don't just waste the other one in the piece -- try to make it fall someplace where it'll be of use, ideally into the final space of another target. If you've got a piece that will complete a target, but the other ball will get in your way when it falls, don't rush to complete the target. Put the piece someplace where it'll be useful, and wait for the right piece to complete the target. There are only three colors, so it shouldn't take that long. Finally, don't overlook the possibility of making lines horizontally as well as vertically.

I have a couple of questions for someone more advanced than me, though:

First, suppose I have a stack of balls of the same color, two wide by three high. Now I get a piece that contains two balls of that color. Do I put it vertically on top of one side of the stack, earning points for connecting five balls at once, or do I lay it horizontally on top of the stack, clearing the whole pile? So far I've been doing the latter.

Second -- and this applies to other duty puzzles as well, to some extent -- suppose I've mislaid a piece and think it will take a fair amount of work to correct my mistake. Will I be rewarded in the end for keeping at it, or should I cut my losses and quit the puzzle at the next league point, in order to re-enter with a fresh playing field?
[Jul 31, 2003 3:47:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cellophane

First, suppose I have a stack of balls of the same color, two wide by three high. Now I get a piece that contains two balls of that color. Do I put it vertically on top of one side of the stack, earning points for connecting five balls at once, or do I lay it horizontally on top of the stack, clearing the whole pile?

I usually go for the five in a row and save the other stack. A 3 in a row just sitting there often makes a good starting point for a combo.

Second -- and this applies to other duty puzzles as well, to some extent -- suppose I've mislaid a piece and think it will take a fair amount of work to correct my mistake. Will I be rewarded in the end for keeping at it, or should I cut my losses and quit the puzzle at the next league point, in order to re-enter with a fresh playing field?

Personally I strongly dislike leaving and reentering a puzzle to get a new board, it seems too much like admitting defeat. But it seems that with the recent patch, keeping at it isnt going to hurt you as much as it used to, especially if you combo away at it. This might just be my perception however, I havent done it enough to truly test it. But combos and 4/5-in-a-row clears are scoring higher now so as long as you keep up a steady rate of scoring it doesn't affect you too adversely, if at all.
[Jul 31, 2003 7:58:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

When you booch placement on the very first piece* I think it's perfectly okay to call a mulligan.

This is the only time, however. I once was a wayward lad, fond of resetting me board at any inoppurtune placement (be it carp, sails or nav) for I rather enjoyed keeping me efficiency up. It was a personal thing, an' it warn't 'till crazy ol' Garf gave me a ear-whoopin' fer cuttin' me losses at carp that I have mended me heinous ways. Now I jest allow tha' one small margin fer error, fer we all make mistakes sometimes and deserve ta try agin.

Garf, feel free ta lecture me agin on me cheatin' ways if'n ye think e'en this be too much. I'll jest ignore ye, anyways...

*- [size=9]Not that this has ever happened to me. Especially not last night. And it certainly didn't cause me to joke to Disaster that that's the very reason I became a captain...so I wouldn't have to sail anymore...
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Jul 31, 2003 8:09:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
keepersa

Because I don't feel like going into small tips I say the basics for getting good sailing is comboing targets. The blocks in the way and cleaning the board are very minor compared to doing those things, you'll figure out other tricks and stuff as you get experience.
Saskatch, pirate with the SM
'cause, I used to be a farmer and made a living fine.
[Jul 31, 2003 10:18:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Until you gain more experience at reading the board quickly, try pressing Esc to pause the puzzle when it first starts; then you can see the first piece which starts to drop, and the piece queued after it, and plan where to place them best. I've found that a misplaced first piece can seriously mess things up!

After you get a bit more practice you don't need to do this any more; you can spot a "problem" board that has all the targets single coloured etc very quickly, and usually manage to decide where to put the first piece much faster.

I've found that quitting and restarting tends to give you a good now, whereas keeping going after you misplace a piece and clearing it is rewarded with a better score. Which I must say I like.
[Jul 31, 2003 10:34:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CrashCat

My sailing scores really stink, so I'm probably going to be bumping this old thread a few times with some silly questions. I hope it helps someone besides me as well though.

What do you find to be easier when trying to get a combo and clear a target to get a bonus, lining up a combo over the target to drop a piece into the last slot or making the extra piece from the last one you put in the target drop onto a 3-high stack of the same color? I'm having trouble managing to do either at the moment, because I have a hard time getting under the target to lay a 3-high stack and I have a hard time creating a stack over the target because the pieces get really high.

I think the target-bonus double is my first goal to master, but what would be a good thing after that? All my triples (non-target of course) seem to be sheer luck, even though I 'know' how to arrange the pieces I can't seem to make one without so much garbage left over on the OTHER side of the screen that I lose any ground I gained from doing the combo in the first place.

I'm not sure what I'm in need of here, but getting Good and Fine every time I sail, which is the number one needed job is not really encouraging, since I've only got carpentry down to a science. Any advice on what I've managed to ask so far?
a pirate is drinking lots and lots of rum
a pirate is just an oversized kid with an eye patch
a pirate is like being a fireman and a pyromaniac
a pirate is fun
a pirate is surely for me
-Googlism
[Aug 20, 2003 12:56:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

I would say that the two types of doubles are equally easy/difficult when the situation is right. Square blocks above your platform lend themselves well to having a column be the first part of the combo, while well-organized garbage below your platform makes a better combo in that order.

Again, when possible, have it be two platforms, rather than a column and a platform.

When in doubt, though, concentrate on platforms. If you have to go to great lengths to get that double or triple, it's not worth it.
[Aug 20, 2003 1:05:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

You can also lay out a horizontal row of 3, rather than a vertical stack, to make a double under a platform.
[Aug 20, 2003 4:02:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
djayxero

always consider horizontal plays combo'd with vertical plays, and combo combo combo to other targets.
[Aug 22, 2003 5:53:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clockwork

My sailing has come a long way since I started this thread, and I've got a few pointers of my own now.

The combos are definitly where it's at. A solid double or triple can take that luffing blue sail straight up to the glittering gold we all want to see.

I think the biggest thing though is, when the board starts, work out a place for every kind of piece. As you clean things up a bit, you can work toward combos and fancy playing, but in the beginning it's important to have a place decided on for any piece you'll get so you don't accidently mess up something else you're working on.

A good tactic I've found for setting up space for the pieces you don't know what else to do with is to setup four columns going Blue Yellow White Blue (or similar arangement) along the bottom. This gives you a useful place for every possible piece.

Remember, there are only 6 different pieces...
Marrcke
- Captain of the Royal FrogDogs
- Hailing from the Living Piranha
[Aug 22, 2003 6:31:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bocheezu

My general tips are along these lines:

For the first league, don't worry about combos too much. Maybe try to set up one double, and just clear the other platforms as quickly as possible. This gets you a little breathing room to start making triples the next league.

The absolute key to this game is combos. You get a triple that clears 3 platforms, that's basically a guaranteed incredible (for multiple leagues probably). The key is knowing how to set up the combos.

When you first get a board, look at how the platforms and square blocks are laid out. Sometimes a platform will be all by its lonesome and you can't really use it for combos (just put pieces in it to get it out of the way), but usually each board is lined up for a good triple. The square blocks are really important, because if you don't watch how you set up your pieces, the square blocks will stop your pieces from falling properly and interrupt your combos.

How you set up the pieces properly is really best shown with screenshots but I don't have anywhere to host them. So I will try to describe it as best I can with an easy example.

Imagine a 2x2 platform above another 2x2 platform. Say the bottom row of the bottom platform is white/white and the top row is yellow/yellow. Then say the top platform has the alternating colors blue/yellow for each row. Then imagine that there's a square block of some kind between the two platforms on the left side. So a quicky diagram looks like this (where the X is the square block):

BY
YB
X

YY
WW

The first thing to realize is the left column should be your "intiator" column and the right column should be your "builder" column. You use the left column to start the chain reaction and the right column to drop pieces on the platform below. So the proper sequence to do things with the least number of pieces (4) and the least risk (like booching the piece trying to move it around) is this:

1. Drop a YW piece vertically to fill the left side of the bottom platform
2. Drop a BY piece vertically to fill the right side of the top platform
3. Drop a YW piece vertically on top of the right side of the top platform (on top of the BY piece you already put there, in the proper orientation so that it'll fill the bottom platform when it drops, so Y above W)
4. Drop a BY piece on the left side of the top platform to start the combo.

Always use columns with square blocks in them as INTIATORS and the other column as BUILDERS. Now when you try to set up triples, where you have top, middle, and bottom platforms, there are two ways to go about doing it. You either:

-- alternate which column is the intiator and which is the builder from platform to platform
-- make one column an "uber builder" that will fill all the platforms below it when the combo starts.

I'll try to outline both here. In this case, a lower case letter is an UNFILLED box and an upper case letter is where the pieces ACTUALLY ARE.

An alternating triple would look like this (a dash [-] is an empty space, this won't line up properly if I don't put it in);

-Y
-Y
bB
bB

X
B
B
Yy
Yy
-X

bB
bB

Notice the square blocks are in DIFFERENT columns.

Now, an "uber builder" triple looks like this:

-B
-B
-Y
-Y
bB
bB
X

Yy
Yy
X

Bb
Bb

In this case, the square blocks are in the SAME column.

(I know my explanation probably booched it, but I did the best I could.)

Other important things I try to keep in mind:

-- Sometimes you have to use pieces just to get square blocks out of the way. If you have to really start moving pieces around corners and then over half a screen in like a split second to put it where it needs to go, chances are high that you are going to booch it. Relax, just try and clear the platforms above or get more square blocks out of the way.

-- Pieces that are double of the same color (YY, WW, or BB) are really good for getting square blocks out of the way. If no platforms require them, I usually just use them for knocking out bothersome square blocks instead of building with them.

-- If you have room, try to build combos from the bottom up. For some reason, it just makes it easier for me to set up the stuff above it properly for the combo.
[Aug 22, 2003 7:29:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Daagar

A big thanks to Bocheezu. I don't know what my problem is, but my poor brain could not wrap itself around this puzzle for anything. Reading Bocheezu's post was what I needed to flip on the lightbulb. What's sad is that it (apparently) isn't _that_ hard of a puzzle ;)
[Aug 22, 2003 12:27:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fireballl87

Id mainly sudjust combos, Seriously, Ill take over 4 times aslong to get a combo to break two targets, and i almost never drop below excelent, and i normaly sit at Increadable for most of a voyage.
"Even if I die... I'll come back alive."
[Aug 22, 2003 3:43:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Moonripple

Re: Reply to this Post

Like Bocheezu, the first thing I do when I enter the sailing puzzle is to clear the top half of my screen of all the platforms and anchored pieces as quickly as possible. This usually results in a fine or good rating over the first league, but it leaves me with a clear board where I can set up my combos.

Once most of my board is clear, I just start on the left or right side, and build my combos across. I get donkeys quite frequently, and a vegas isn't a rare sight (although the double vegas still eludes me). I can get to the point where I never fall below excellent once I have room to work.
[Sep 9, 2003 1:03:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hangmann

I just recently pushed my way into an Ultimate rating in sailing. How'd I do it? Like so:

The first thing to do is see where your openings to lower platforms are. I've seen only 1 board that was completly cut off from the bottom half by blocks, most the time it's accesable. Make sure you don't block these.

Next start filling in platforms. I try to start from the bottom and work up, but don't actually complete a platform. Use any double of 1 color to break up the darn floating blocks that are in the way, and any combonation of colors that falls correctly. The blocks are just annoying.

Now, with a lot of platforms almost done set up the combos as suggested by Bocheezu. I usually do half the platforms in 1 combo, half in another. This usually results in Bingo's, if I add a colum of blocks. The text size for the bingo is VERY large tho, since it includes at least 3 platforms. Finish boards with a good speed and just keep at it and ye'll be an Incredible sailor in no time. The double Vegas is cool and all, but not nessacary by any means to get the Incredible and to push yer rank up.

All of this doesn't apply to the first leauge. To get above fine ye actually need some score. Since the rating averages your performance over the leauge and ye start at 0 it's really hard to push up there. Break everything in sights. Blocks, targets, trash, everything. Go for some pretty easy doubles, but nothing elaborate. Need to hoist that gold sail as fast as possible. Usually after clearing 1 board in this mannor I start sailing as above.
~Thorek
Senior Officer of the Serial Pillagers (Cobalt)
[Sep 9, 2003 3:33:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akebia

Re: Reply to this Post

Moonripple wrote: 
Like Bocheezu, the first thing I do when I enter the sailing puzzle is to clear the top half of my screen of all the platforms and anchored pieces as quickly as possible.

Hangmann wrote: 
Use any double of 1 color to break up the darn floating blocks that are in the way, and any combonation of colors that falls correctly. The blocks are just annoying.

I can't believe what I'm seeing here. I've always left the floating blocks kicking around. I use the floating blocks to set up three-in-a-rows near my incomplete targets. I also leave pieces around to set up target chain reactions, but I always start the process off with a 4IAR, usually balancing on a square block. I know that a 4IAR is worth diddly-squat, but getting another step up the combo ladder is useful, no?

This, however, may explain why I haven't been able to hold my number one ranking in sailing with the new scoring systems.
[Sep 9, 2003 8:12:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
OrionM31

Fast or slow? Reply to this Post

My Question would be is it better to do a puzzle fast, or slow? I know the more peices out there, the lower your score will be (since the amount of peices comming down deturmines your ranking + your cleared blocs and such. Most of the time I do it fast to start and if I have built up some nice combos, I slow down.

OrionM31
[Sep 10, 2003 10:50:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hangmann

akebia wrote: 
I know that a 4IAR is worth diddly-squat, but getting another step up the combo ladder is useful, no?

I set up my own lines for this type of stuff. No floating block is going to tell ME where to start a combo. Also trying to combo stuff to high can lead to much trouble if you are using several diferent colors. Also also there seem to be MANY more stationary blocks now than there were when I was but a novice sailor. It might have something to do with experience in sailing. I really like having more room to work with.

Point of all this: Ye don't need a floating block to start a combo with a line of 4 that drops onto targets.
~Thorek
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akebia

Hangmann wrote: 
No floating block is going to tell ME where to start a combo.

Don't be so antagonistic towards the floating blocks. Be one with the game. Be at peace*.

[size=9]*: Or is it "piece"?
[Sep 11, 2003 12:42:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Re: Fast or slow? Reply to this Post

OrionM31 wrote: 
My Question would be is it better to do a puzzle fast, or slow?

Every puzzle is "better" done fast. However, you have to think about what you may be sacrificing in forethought plowing through those pieces. For most humans a balance of speed and strategy are what win the day.

-Nemo
[Sep 11, 2003 2:16:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hangmann

akebia wrote: 
Don't be so antagonistic towards the floating blocks. Be one with the game. Be at peace*.

[size=9]*: Or is it "piece"?

A zen masters guide to sailing.

Even if you start a combo with a block there's usually half a dozen for me above the top platforms. So clearing 5 or so to make sure I don't bury myself in the mean time seems good to me.
~Thorek
[Sep 11, 2003 3:03:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
burrito

Re: Fast or slow? Reply to this Post

Nemo wrote: 
Every puzzle is "better" done fast. However, you have to think about what you may be sacrificing in forethought plowing through those pieces. For most humans a balance of speed and strategy are what win the day.

-Nemo

This however is not entirely true with swordfighting. Depending on your playing style, you may do much better by moving extremely slowly in the swordfight and then counter-attacking whenever your opponent drops something on you. That's not necessarily true for everyone. I tend to switch between both styles of swordfighting.

Edit: stupid BBCode...
-Peppy, Senior Officer of the Salty Mouthfuls
"Yarr, thar be stairs here."

1st Place, First Drinking Contest, Gaea 24 Hour Bash
2nd Place, Cayte's Sword Tournament, 9/29
[Sep 11, 2003 3:07:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    burrito+OMG [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

I'm sorry. I should have said: "Every duty puzzle is "better" done fast." There isn't much gained in tossing about Drinking cups willy-nilly either...

-Nemo
[Sep 11, 2003 3:09:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aur

Yes, and swordfighting has pros and cons of going either slow of fast against certain opponents. I've found that against some players its better to go slow and build up a nice set of combos and hope the other person builds up a cue of sprinkles. That way you can drop your big bomb on them before their big bomb hits you. ;)

On the duty puzzles, yeah, speed is definitely better. I've even noticed that sometimes sacrificing accuracy and good combos for a great speed can be the best way to go. I still find a comfortable medium myself.
~Aur
Original Riot Starter

"So now you know, and knowing is half the battle. The other half is HWFO." -Hermes
[Sep 11, 2003 3:12:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Ask me about the difference between buddha and tao... Reply to this Post

Hangmann wrote: 
akebia wrote: 

[size=9]*: Or is it "piece"?%

A zen masters guide to sailing.

The alternative, of course, is merely to work around them, taking advantage if they are convenient and obliterating if they are not. Naturally, then, if you and your floating blocks are irreconcilable, you must take decisive action: Booch, or go carpent.

%- [size=9]"Peas"
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Sep 11, 2003 6:27:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

I'm requesting a tip:

Since even though I can outsail most people, I can't keep an ultimate (because gosh darn 40 seconds of sailing before the ship you're on ports or gets grappled without an excellent means you suck and lose your ult), I've decided to do other things to make the puzzle tolerable.

Latlely it's the stars. I can fill two stars at once with a double vegas, I'm wondering, since your comboing is nearly limitless, how many vegases would it take to fill six stars at once?

Is the growth exponential, or [the other way, I suck at math and can't remember the term] between combo levels? It would seem that if a double vegas fills two stars that triple vegas fill four.
Rome
Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
[Jan 2, 2005 12:17:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
Jacktheblack

Umm, I think that you fill a star when get the whole board cleared. I have never noticed any difference when ever I use big combos and just clear the platforms as fast as I can.
[Jan 2, 2005 1:12:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacktheblackypp    samergamer [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 44   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates