• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 6
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3073 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
Paul_pegleg

Sloop or No Sloop Event idea Reply to this Post

I was wondering if there could be an event called Sloop or No Sloop ( run like the Television show Deal or No Deal). Something that could be held once a month like they use to do (or maybe still do) "the price is right".

You could have a crew just for this event where you could job the contestants into the crew. There would be 26 unlocked sloops ported at Dragon's Nest (for example) and each sloop would have poe in the coffers ranging from 1 poe to 1 million poe.

Each sloop could be named with the corresponding number for the event and an OM could be the banker to make sure that all is run legitimately.

The contestant would choose (in jobber chat) which number sloop for their first choice. They would then have to pick 6 more sloops where as they would board these sloops and see the amount of poe in the coffers (along with the "Host"). Once that sloop was looked at, it would then be locked and the coffers emptied by the OM. After the first six were chosen the OM (banker) would make an offer to the contestant, that could be accepted or refused by the contestant saying in Jobber chat, Sloop or No Sloop. The game would continue in the same manner as the Television Show.

The starting poe would total 3,418,418 just to put the poe into the coffers of the 26 sloops. But a normal payout would be somewhere in the range of 150,000 poe or less if this event follows the normal ways the Television show does.

Entrants could sign up in the forums for a chance to be selected as a contestant. Those chosen would be given advance notice of the time to be at the event and there would be 2-3 contestants at the event along with 3 alternates in case the original contestants were not able to make the event.

There could also be other items from the game to enhance the "offer" from the OM to try and get the contestant to take the offer. These could range from clothing to familiars as the OM sees fit to offer them.

I would volunteer to be the host for this event or the OMs could choose someone else. I can donate some poe to the prize poe given away and there may be others that might also want to give poe for the event as well. As for the OM being the "Banker", it would not be a requirement but it would speed things up between rounds with the rearranging of the poe between the ships between contestants.

I have an Excel sheet that I have made that works like the real game and can give this file to the OM (or whoever is the banker) so that they would be able to make the offers as needed for the event.

Not sure if this event would be a hit or not and not sure if there is something that could keep this event from running. So post any comments or suggestions about it here so we can hash it over thoroughly.

Dukeofwales
Captain of the Crimson Sabers
King of the Crimson Horizons
Cobalt Ocean
[Aug 21, 2008 6:41:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

Re: Sloop or No Sloop Event idea Reply to this Post

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Booty_or_no_booty

Deal or No Deal has been done before in Puzzle Pirates. It was the grandest event in the history of the game, in my opinion, and ran for a solid year. And speaking from experience, once you run the same event for a year, it gets old.

That aside, my critique for your event:

Each sloop could be named with the corresponding number
Ocean Masters do not provide custom renames for events. I also don't know that the Ocean Masters would approve numbers (whether in digit form or spelled out) as a rename for a ship.

an OM could be the banker to make sure that all is run legitimately.
Ocean Masters are incredibly busy and I cannot think of any event ran in the past 3+ years where an Ocean Master has played an important role in the process of an event run by a player.

Once that sloop was looked at, it would then be locked and the coffers emptied by the OM.
I must say that I like the visual of looking at the ships in port and seeing the locks on vessels already chosen as opposed to vessels unlocked being available.

The starting poe would total 3,418,418
I'm really curious as to where you got this outlandish number...

Entrants could sign up in the forums for a chance to be selected as a contestant. Those chosen would be given advance notice of the time to be at the event and there would be 2-3 contestants at the event along with 3 alternates in case the original contestants were not able to make the event.
How would said contestants be chosen?

There could also be other items from the game to enhance the "offer" from the OM to try and get the contestant to take the offer. These could range from clothing to familiars as the OM sees fit to offer them.
Read the Booty or No Booty event. This is what made the game so successful. The ultimate goal was the familiar, with mostly items as prizes along the way, with only a few poe amounts in there.

I can donate some poe to the prize poe given away and there may be others that might also want to give poe for the event as well.
I don't think any large gathering of pirates could donate 3.4 million poe to an event such as this one.

Where your intentions are good for this event, the functionality of it just isn't there. I would consider a serious overhaul of the event to make it flow into Puzzle Pirates in a better way. It's not impossible to make the event work, and to do so in a way different from Booty or No Booty, but you'll have to think up something that isn't so prize-heavy, especially if you haven't run events in the past. An event like this, I think, is best suited in a down-scaled fashion for flag mates and for fun.

Stevensam, founder and host of The PoE is Right, former multiple-time contestant on Booty or No Booty.
----------------------------------------
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Aug 21, 2008 7:07:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
Paul_pegleg

I had not heard of the Booty or No Booty event, nor seen it in the forums. It must be buried deep. And yes I am sure that after a year of it it would get old/tiresome to do.

Was not sure on the naming of the sloops, but with specialty names if could be done. I personally have one called "Blood Bank" so I am sure that numbers could work here as well, unless there is a problem with it in the programming.

The OM being the banker was just a way of assuring everyone it was run on the "up and up" , but I also said it could be someone else.

As for the total 3,418,418, that is the total of the following amounts that would be in the coffers of the 26 sloops (see below):

The entrants would be chosen from a random draw of all that had entered the contest.

There are lots of people out there with more poe than I will ever have but since this event has been done there would be no need in searching them out. And the only amounts that would be given out would be the poe accepted by the contestant. All the other poe could be returned till the next event.

I agree that it would not be something to be totally run by me since I do not have the experience in running many events. That was one reason to place it here before I even dared send an email to PP events.

Thanks for the reply and critique. I will go back to the drawing board for a different type of event since this type has already run it's course on the game.

Dukeofwales
Captain of the Crimson Sabers
King of the Crimson Horizons
Cobalt Ocean
[Aug 22, 2008 10:36:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bomby232

As for the total 3,418,418, that is the total of the following amounts that would be in the coffers of the 26 sloops (see below):

Your obvisouly from America :) The way the UK does it is that they only have 21 boxes and the price only goes up to 250,000
It is still a sufficent amount of poe for a prize, but to make it a little more excitting have the very biggest prize as a fam. so have 22 ships. This makes the game seem a little more affordable and eaier to run, as you said every month. With a little bit of work you might be able to make this run :)
Boomby
Cobalt Ocean
Senior Officer of Snap Crackle and Pop
Prince of Kellogs
[Aug 22, 2008 11:25:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

This be the U.S. version of the gameboard, when they aren't doing some special "extra million dollar cases" game.
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Aug 22, 2008 5:48:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

Your obvisouly from America :) The way the UK does it is that they only have 21 boxes and the price only goes up to 250,000

GBP1 ~= USD1.8

USD1 ~= Eights2.2

Thus, GBP250,000 = Eights1,000,000,000

You're.

Edit: Space for everyone!
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Edit 1 times, last edit by majestrate at Aug 27, 2008 3:20:16 PM]
[Aug 27, 2008 3:19:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates