• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 18
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3717 times and has 17 replies Next Thread
CurlyKidd

Ice Parley? Reply to this Post

In at least half-seriousness, can we get an Ice Parley forum going now?
[Aug 15, 2008 4:13:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    tr1265 [Link]  Go to top 
Madmathilde

Re: Ice Parley? Reply to this Post

In at least half-seriousness, can we get an Ice Parley forum going now?

I think there are enough factions, some of them at least a bit hostile to others, to warrant it - and it would serve to keep certain pirates (who, me?) from cluttering serious discussion of development and de-bugging issues with silly commentary and discoursing on pirate morality and so forth...
----------------------------------------
Gwendolyn Bleu,
ubiquitously Gwennie
Midnight: Marooned Marauders of the flag Fairwinds
[Aug 16, 2008 11:04:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
soveruin

It would be nice to see Ice Discussion kicked off the Global index and have both an Ice Politics and an Ice Discussion forum. But considering Ice is regarded a testing ocean first and foremost, it probably wont happen.
~Ols
[Aug 16, 2008 11:41:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CurlyKidd

It would be nice to see Ice Discussion kicked off the Global index and have both an Ice Politics and an Ice Discussion forum. But considering Ice is regarded a testing ocean first and foremost, it probably wont happen.

Given that we have player-run Islands now, there really are a few factions now, and a different forum for that would help the developers keep an eye on testing related issues and ignore the parley issues.
[Aug 16, 2008 6:37:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    tr1265 [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Given that we have player-run Islands now, there really are a few factions now, and a different forum for that would help the developers keep an eye on testing related issues and ignore the parley issues.

Not just the developers - I would love to ignore all the non-release / non-bug type talk (it is extremely rare that I wander into ANY of the parley threads) without having to click on the Ice Discussion thread every time the icon turned blue. I also think it would help people in general be more aware when a new release was in the works and in need of testing.
Pletoo of Sage
[Sep 3, 2008 7:08:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
grizzlyly

Ya Lets have some fun here, make a Ice Parley, Bazaar and Event tab, it be a lot easyer for all us players trying to get jober support for blockades, buying ships, and runnign events
Kickhead on Hunter

Kickie forced Clotho to walk the plank.
Clotho has left the vessel.

[Sep 14, 2008 4:03:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
basso

I am confused, do people play Ice as a real ocean?
Montage of Sage
Mads wrote: 
OK, now I'm convinced. The problem here is that you cannot understand plain English.

[Sep 24, 2008 7:40:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inschato

You're not confused, you're just being condescending :D

And yeah, some do.... Technically, it wouldn't work properly if SOME people didn't log on every day to make sure all the stalls and stuff were still running *sigh*
-Undisputed Overlord of the Emerald Ocean
[Sep 24, 2008 7:42:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
basso

And yeah, some do.... Technically, it wouldn't work properly if SOME people didn't log on every day to make sure all the stalls and stuff were still running *sigh*

I see what you mean, but I actually was confused. By "real" ocean, I meant one in which parley would actually serve a purpose. If you are testing new features, why would you need politics or parley at all?
Montage of Sage
Mads wrote: 
OK, now I'm convinced. The problem here is that you cannot understand plain English.

[Sep 26, 2008 2:55:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Madmathilde

I see what you mean, but I actually was confused. By "real" ocean, I meant one in which parley would actually serve a purpose. If you are testing new features, why would you need politics or parley at all?

Ye would be surprised....
Gwendolyn Bleu,
ubiquitously Gwennie
[Sep 26, 2008 3:16:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CurlyKidd

Because politics is a "feature" of many Pirates, regardless of Ocean. And to help the people who play Ice for testing stuff, this would help us ignore that side of things just a bit more.
[Sep 26, 2008 3:31:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    tr1265 [Link]  Go to top 
Patetch

Because politics is a "feature" of many Pirates, regardless of Ocean. And to help the people who play Ice for testing stuff, this would help us ignore that side of things just a bit more.

Agreed. I'll say it again - I'd love it to be separated out so that when I see the Ice discussion thread has new posts I can check it for release information and completely ignore the Ice "parley" (or whatever it may be called) thread.
Pletoo of Sage
[Sep 26, 2008 3:40:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
legoking1235

Why not just have Testing Discussion and Ice Discussion then.

Cephalopod greeter chats, "I think... I think I might cry"

Gaea says, "I'm in yer ship, makin typos in yer rename."

[Sep 26, 2008 4:32:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
grizzlyly

i'd rather have a parley, event and bazaar tab =P
Kickhead on Hunter

[Sep 26, 2008 4:34:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
basso

Ok this is not me being anything but curious, what reasons are there to play ice other then to test new stuff? Someone mentioned separating the test stuff from the political stuff.
Montage of Sage
Mads wrote: 

[Sep 26, 2008 7:03:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Madmathilde

Ok this is not me being anything but curious, what reasons are there to play ice other then to test new stuff? Someone mentioned separating the test stuff from the political stuff.

It can be more challenging. There is a higher proportion of higher-end players, so it is a bit harder to get those higher rankings. EvP opponents are more likely to be tough - and the payout is better. The economy is truly a mess, making it more chalenging to keep supplied. The islands are, mostly - just so much cooler. I mean - there's one that has a giant chessboard on it.
Gwendolyn Bleu,
ubiquitously Gwennie
[Sep 26, 2008 8:29:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Reasons for playing Ice seriously:

Last time I checked, the target tax values for the non-commons was about 1/10th normal, and the commons about 1/2 normal. So finished goods are much, much cheaper. Combined with the higher base payout (about twice normal), and you more than make up for the "scoring lower ==> lower payout brigands" factor. 10 hours of play on Ice will get you much better "stuff" (ships, housing, furniture, etc) than 10 hours of play on any other ocean.

Combined with the "It's a sub ocean", and there's no hundreds of dubs spent on stuff.

Result? Faster "advancement" than on a "real" ocean.

You can do things like slooping in Atlantis for much, much less "preperation play time" than in a real ocean.

Now, the lower prep-time factor is critical for a testing ocean. So that's not a bad thing.

Economics? Shops? Much lower ocean-wide demand, fewer people to work for you -- as far as I can tell, you can't run a shop/stall without the support of your flag to provide workers. Heck, it seemed (last time I checked it out, anyways) that one deluxe stall of each kind is enough to supply 100% of the ocean's needs when there is no new thing to test, so just trying to cover rent without subsidizing is a challenge. (I couldn't manage it.)
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Oct 3, 2008 1:51:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
grizzlyly

It's a nice peaceful ocean
Kickhead on Hunter

[Oct 3, 2008 6:25:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates