• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 8
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2395 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
randy_chimp

Guide writing competitions for a website Reply to this Post

Currently I am building a website to fill with animated guides to help people learn the puzzles, so far I just have a few basic examples which can be seen in the links below.

I want to hold a guide writing competition with basic PoE prizes for people to help sketch some animated guides - Just the basic content and a description of the animation to go with it. It's quite simple, the entries that are the most useful will win and anything I use in the site will get smaller prizes.

I want help to be able to decide what a good reward for this would be, I am a very rich player that can afford to easily give a couple of hundred k for a brilliant entry but also want to encourage smaller entries that I can still use aswell.

I could also use some help with advice on hosting - currently I am using box.net just to host a few videos but it is not designed to stream downloads and as a result if several people try to access my video page at once it stops working and would greatly appreciate some advice on how to resolve this.

These are some examples of what I'm making and the competition would involve designing further guides.

http://www.freewebs.com/dachimpy/GuidesWebsite.swf

This contains a basic layout of a ship - the only functioning arrow so far leads to the back of the ship. It contains a basic animated tutorial on central loop guns, a couple of examples of explaining how the hold works (Obviously in a full guide I would expect more than two explanations), if you go to the back of the ship there is a nav wheel where there is a drag+drop quiz in its development stages and a quick example of a bnav tutorial. (For the drag and drop quiz the only answers it will accept is a block in the first space - then two rights then a forward as it hasn't been completed yet)

http://www.freewebs.com/dachimpy/Untitled%2D3.swf

This contains videos on every single bludgeon in the game - A full screen insta, full screen of strike spams and some sprinkling for each to demonstrate to people what each bludgeon is good at. These videos will be included in the final website. There are also videos demonstrating the size of each style of attack in rumble.

To view the videos just select either attacks/bludgeons, click on one of the buttons and then press play. I am well aware that the video's are not their best quality because they may be distorted in the bruises i used but I have already spent so much time on those videos i felt it was good enough for now.

The website is built using Macromedia Flash 8 and the videos were created using camtasia studio... until my free trial expired meaning I will now use hypercam :) The videos are encoded and uploaded to box.net in .flv format which is used for Macromedia Flash streaming. (Just to avoid queries I felt i would state this information here)

I welcome any advice or help on how I could plan this competition and what prizes people feel would be appropriate for writing these guides.
----------------------------------------
Dachimpy.com (video tutorials website)
Blockade Simulator
[Aug 15, 2008 2:57:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Re: Guide writing competitions for a website Reply to this Post

Is this intended to be different from the tutorial-writing competition that was done?
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Aug 15, 2008 11:31:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randy_chimp

I wouldn't know what that was... hence why im here trying to get help :)
Dachimpy.com (video tutorials website)
Blockade Simulator
[Aug 15, 2008 12:49:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

heh heh http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=32342&offset=0
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Aug 15, 2008 1:15:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TBPOTN7

hmm, i could try some guides.. but is it me or do the links take everyone back to this thread?
[Aug 15, 2008 1:21:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

yes Chimpy your redirects are going to the wrong place

Sublime is shame.
[Aug 15, 2008 1:22:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

Copying the link URLs into the address bar works. I have no clue why clicking on the links results in a redirect back to this page.
Tanonev on all oceans; currently exploring Meridian.
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Aug 15, 2008 1:33:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
TBPOTN7

Copying the link URLs into the address bar works. I have no clue why clicking on the links results in a redirect back to this page.

aye! anyways, the bnav test is solvable on RRxF and RxRF as well chimp! hmm, not sure if i can make a guide that way though.. it looks kinda complicated making one, but it could also just be my inexperience with programs and stuff
[Aug 15, 2008 1:46:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates