• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 27
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5811 times and has 26 replies Next Thread
Stephensam

Tournament-in-a-box! [Sept. 2, 4 & 5th][Win a renamed sloop!]

After just recieving the prize support I requested, I present to the Cobalt Ocean.... Tournament in a box!

Ahoy mates! It's time to think inside the box for a great event brought to you by the great treasures in Atlantis! That's right... old weapons! This tournament is giving every pirate a chance to wield the best?weapon against pirates who weren't as fortunate. Test your true puzzling skill instead of your specific weapon prowess!

Tournament-in-a-box:

How does it work? There will be a series of three tournaments, one for each of drinking, rumbling and swordfighting. For each tournament, contestants show up to Stevensam's Estate on Kirin Island and pick a box from a numbered grid. Inside that box will be the weapon you will be using for the duration of the Swiss-paired tournament. Prizes are given to the pirate with the best score, as well as the highest placing pirate with the worst weapon*.

Where is it again? Stevensam's Estate on Kirin

What if I want to use my own weapon? All of the numbered boxes will have their contents written on my screen, so if you try to use your own weapon instead of what was inside your box, you will be disqualified.

How many rounds are in each tournament? The number of rounds in the tournament all depends on the number of entrants. At the minimum, it will be 3 rounds and at the maximum it will be 6 rounds.

When is this event? This event will be on [September 2, 2008] at [1:00 PM] for rumbling, [September 4, 2008] at [1:00 PM] for drinking and [September 5, 2008] at [1:00PM] for swordfighting.

What are the prizes? First place in each event will receive a plain ribbon as well as a sloop commemorating their event win. The sloop names will match the event, so the drinking winner will get the Drinking Boxfish, the rumbling winner will get the Rumbling Boxfish and the top swordfighter will get the Fencing Boxfish. There will also be red/white hankies for the top placement with the worst weapon*.

How will tie-breakers be determined Since there are bound to be ties in this event, tiebreakers will be figured by using the opponent win % numbers. This method will only be used to determine the top two pirates at the end of the event. Once the top two have been decided, they will battle for the top prize. If one pirate is the clear winner after the regular rounds, there will be no tiebreakers/final match.

*What does worst weapon mean? The worst weapon for the swordfighting tournament is the foil, drinking's worst weapon will be the pitcher and rumbling's worst weapon will be the gaff.

*Will Stevensam be the host for this event? No. As with most of my events, one of my event alts will be the host. Poeroddy will be the host for this event.

Edit1: Fixed punctuation marks disappearing.
Edit2: Fixed more punctuation
Edit3: Times added in
----------------------------------------
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Stephensam at Aug 17, 2008 11:37:18 PM]
[Aug 14, 2008 3:23:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
slntslayer

Re: Tournament-in-a-box! [dates not yet determined]

Nice event. I'll be there once the dates are determine.
When all else fails, go blow something up.
I'm a BK hunting trollop, and how!
Rehio wrote: 
There's gotta be some law that prohibits Rashnu from having any sort of contact with greenies.

Rashnu
i R slo kiddo.....
[Aug 14, 2008 3:40:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hackersacker

Little boxes on the hillside, little boxes made of ticky tacky; little boxes on the hillside, little boxes all the same.

Good idea, i wanna play!... and to think people were tarting over you making an event lol
Manalt
[Aug 14, 2008 3:44:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bkny612

I stocked up on old weapons in advance cuz I heard about this event from OMs
Kill your brother, you'll feel better-----Edgar Frogg (The Lost Boys)

Freak
Captain of Freakshow(a non-crew)
King of Carnival Of Oddities(a non-flag)
[Aug 14, 2008 3:49:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

Presently, I am looking at early September for this event, but I'll edit the above post when I have official dates and times.
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Aug 14, 2008 3:59:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
IVdripper

The Jerk wrote: 

<3 Freak.

Awesome event idea, Steven, wish I could drink.. in game..

IV(who hasn't seen the bone lately)

IVdripper/IVdripperone

"They sicken of the calm who know the storm."
-- Dorothy Parker
[Edit 1 times, last edit by IVdripper at Aug 14, 2008 5:04:15 PM]
[Aug 14, 2008 5:03:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    On the porch, with my friends, drinking brandy,    watching the sea, and talking 'bout the good ol' days. [Link]  Go to top 
nover62

I think I need to brush up on my drinking!

I'll do my best to make it, as long as it doesn't conflict with my work schedule. Great event! :-)
Fireangel
[Aug 14, 2008 6:04:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bobothehobo

Freak wrote: 

Me, too.
Hats, a mighty pirate.

[Aug 14, 2008 7:04:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
troop85eagle

Count me in.

One small quibble - IMHO, the pitcher isn't the worst drinking mug. I'd say that the Goblet is much worse.....
Netopalis
Captain of Different Drums
King of Ixiam
Dean of Ixiam University's School of Piratology
Grand Vizier and Chief Scallywag of the Order of the Palindromic Paladins
[Aug 16, 2008 12:51:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    anetopalis [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

Count me in.

One small quibble - IMHO, the pitcher isn't the worst drinking mug. I'd say that the Goblet is much worse.....

Well, when it comes down to it, lots of pirates have lots of different opinions on the drinking mug strength and weakness. For the case of this tournament, I'm considering the pitcher the worst drinking mug. This is just my opinion based on the settings that I have in mind (that aren't finalized yet).
[Aug 16, 2008 4:23:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

Times have now been posted! Make plans to be there as this will be a great opprotunity to try out a different form of competition!
[Aug 17, 2008 11:21:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
cajuninferno

*sigh* so much for that. i'll be at work... poop
Lissaboo of Cobalt
Senior Officer & Bait of serenity
Owner of Lissaboo's Furnishing Stall on Kirin
[Aug 18, 2008 3:00:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ilyarus2004

*sigh* so much for that. i'll be at work... poop

me too...

(ME KIX SAM!!!)
Ilya on most of the oceans,
Russian on Midnight.

Hypnos tells ye, "i burn u"

Avatars by Silverransom, Domokun, Shortyjack and Tilinka!
[Aug 18, 2008 3:05:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

My apologies for pirates that find the times bad, but these are the best available times for myself.
[Aug 21, 2008 7:43:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
cajuninferno

My apologies for pirates that find the times bad, but these are the best available times for myself.

oh its quite understandable :)
Lissaboo of Cobalt
Senior Officer & Bait of serenity
Owner of Lissaboo's Furnishing Stall on Kirin
[Aug 23, 2008 5:38:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BrotherDog

For what Time Zone's 1PM?
[Aug 25, 2008 3:57:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

For what Time Zone's 1PM?

My apologies. All times that I list for events are game time. If ye need to know what time it is ingame, just log on and type in /info.
[Aug 25, 2008 3:39:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
Issaica

Just caught sight of the event, but I was wondering if you're allowing someone to continue to participate in the tournaments, if they win one of the previous ones.
Mathieujg - Ice
Mathieujg - Cobalt
[Sep 1, 2008 12:45:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

Just caught sight of the event, but I was wondering if you're allowing someone to continue to participate in the tournaments, if they win one of the previous ones.

Yes, you may participate in all three events, regardless of your placement in the previous events.
[Sep 1, 2008 8:57:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

Alright, I'd first like to thank the 20 pirates who showed up for the Rumble event! After 4 rounds and one final tiebreaker the results are as follows:

First place: Fondammit 5-0
Handkerchief winner: Dhamon 3-1

All of the pirates who stayed around until the end got a special prize of an extra box to commemorate the event. I look forward to a good turnout for the next Tournament-in-a-box event on the 4th. See you all there!
[Sep 2, 2008 2:40:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Prizes delivered!
[Sep 2, 2008 3:00:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
sirwinston

I participated, and it was tons of fun. I fail at rumble, so of course I didn't place, though I hope to make it into the finals of the Drinking one.

Congrats on the win Fon, and for Goo for bringing up second.
BloodyBill on the Cerulean Ocean (of Cobalt origin).
[Sep 2, 2008 6:31:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Bloodybill [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

I'd like to thank the 22 pirates who came out and made drinking another fun event! The final results are after 5 rounds and a special tie-breaker for the hanky:

Winner - Xelliana 5-0
Hanky - Nalaj 4-2

I hope to see an even higher turnout for the swordfighting event tomorrow! See you all there!
[Sep 4, 2008 3:04:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Prizes delivered. Xelliana, trade the ship deed away and back if it is not showing up in you crew correctly.
[Sep 5, 2008 11:50:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

I'd first like to thank the Ocean Masters for providing support for my fun little event. Next I'd like to thank everyone who came and made this a fun event to run.

The swordfighting tournament was an exiting one for only having 9 people show up! Tiebreaker points ended up deciding our winner, and congrats to Rozachka for pulling of a win with the foil!

Tournament winner - Starlix
Hanky winner - Rozachka

Now, the pirates that will be sailing the new ships on the ocean:
Fondammit - Rumbling Boxfish
Xelliana - Drinking Boxfish
Starlix - Fencing Boxfish

See you all at my next event!
[Sep 5, 2008 2:20:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Prizes delivered. Congratulations everyone!
[Sep 5, 2008 2:57:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
gooblenka

Now, the pirates that will be sailing the new ships on the ocean:
Fondammit - Rumbling Boxfish
Xelliana - Drinking Boxfish
Starlix - Fencing Boxfish

<3 Hah.

Thanks for running these, Steven. T'was good fun. :)
Jooles @ Frostmourne.
[Sep 5, 2008 8:27:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates