• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2531 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
tanonev

[Workshop / Help] Blockade Token Bake-Off, revamped Reply to this Post

So there's been a lot of complainingdiscussion about how the competitions have difficulty balancing between rewarding top players and giving incentives for everyone to participate. How about we do something about it, by running our own massive bake-off? :D

Expected date: late September or early-mid October

This event would require a 2-round event blockade, perhaps on a Ringer island. Up to 280 people could participate, and I suppose cross-ocean participants are welcome, though all prizes would be awarded on the same ocean (most likely Sage).

Half an hour before the blockade begins, participants will be jobbed onto 4 Grand Frigates. Anyone may enter simply by sending an appropriate tell to an event runner. When the blockade begins, participants will have 2 segments to create as many tokens as possible. After those 2 segments, the 4 ships will exit the board, and the top half of each station on each ship (by token count) will be jobbed onto the next crew. The remaining participants will receive an average of 500 PoE per person, proportional to the number of tokens made with respect to the station type. This will all happen over the course of one segment.

At the end of that segment, the semifinals will begin on 2 Grand Frigates and last for 2 segments. In the semifinals, the number of points earned will be scaled according to the duty report earned (see below for details). After those 2 segments, the 2 ships will exit the board, and the top half of each station on each ship (by points) will be jobbed onto the final crew. The remaining semifinalists will receive an average of 1000 PoE per person. This will all happen during the break between rounds.

At the start of the second round, 1 Grand Frigate will enter the board for the finals. The finals will last for 3 segments, each progressively pickier in duty reports: In the first segment, only tokens made with a duty report of Good or better will be counted; in the second segment, only those with Excellent or better will be counted; and in the third segment, only Incredible tokens will be counted. At the end of the third segment, the ship will exit the board, and the final prizes will be awarded. The top 8 in each station will receive specific prizes; all other finalists will receive an average of 2000 PoE per person.

Breakdown by time:
Round 1:
Segments 1-2: 1 point per token
Segment 3: top half of each ship advances (jobbed into next crew); bottom half of each ship receives an average of 500 PoE
Segments 4-5: Fine: 1 point/token, Good: 2, Excellent: 3, Incredible: 4

Break: top half of each ship advances (jobbed into final crew); bottom half of each ship receives an average of 1000 PoE

Round 2:
Segment 1: Only Good+ tokens count
Segment 2: Only Excellent+ tokens count
Segment 3: Only Incredible tokens count

Top 8 in each station receive prizes; rest receive an average of 2000 PoE

Clarifications:
Participants ARE allowed to change station type between the preliminaries and the semifinals and between the semifinals and the finals. Participants are NOT allowed to change station type within any of those three puzzling sessions.
Participants ARE allowed to abandon and retake their own station for whatever reason (lag, glitch, bathroom break, etc.). Keep in mind that time spent off the station is time spent not making tokens ;)

Logistics:
Each GF will have 2 event running pirates on board before jobbing begins. Each of those pirates will have a copy of the OCR duty report reader running. (We are NOT going to count 280 pirates' tokens by hand.) Those pirates' players will collect duty report data and make them available online, for all participants (and spectators) to enjoy.

There needs to be a minimum of 4 GFs (6 preferable) for the event to work. (I own 0 GFs; I am hoping that I have generous hearties willing to lend materials for bake-offs :P) The PoE prizes alone total 140 * 500 + 70 * 1000 + 35 * 2000 = 210K. I'm currently very open to prize suggestions for the top 8 in each station; I'm hoping for OM prize support of some sort (familiars? or at least sleeping animals?). (It also would be nice if someone were willing to match the PoE prizes, because as is, the prizes are worse than standard blockade pay nowadays.)

On that note, I am looking for volunteers to help run the event. Volunteers would be responsible for running the OCR DRR on one or more pirates for the duration of the event, taking backup screenshots of the duty reports, entering and leaving the blockade board at the appropriate times, and transferring some files as necessary for posting the data online. I'd need to meet with any volunteers via IM beforehand to walk you through the usage of the OCR DRR, and we would need to remain in IM contact for the duration of the event. (An IM service that supports file transfer would be preferable.)

Comments? Suggestions? Volunteers? :D
----------------------------------------
Tanonev on all oceans; currently exploring Meridian.
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Aug 13, 2008 4:53:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
Skunkbeard9

Re: [Workshop / Help] Blockade Token Bake-Off, revamped Reply to this Post

ill join :-p

about what date would it be?

and what time?

Weekeneds would be best (i got school :-()
Yarrby of Cobalt
The Former King of Cobalt

Retired, Missing in Action, or Dead. Whatever you wish.
[Aug 13, 2008 5:23:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    yarrby@ymail.com [Link]  Go to top 
eeyore_guy

ill join :-p

about what date would it be?

and what time?

Weekeneds would be best (i got school :-()

My guess is that the time/date would not be made specifically for you, or adjusted to your liking. (I'm not saying that you wanted it to be).

By saying that, people can tell that you are a self centered person...

Tigger,
Just lookin' out.
The one and only me.
[Aug 17, 2008 7:51:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Chalk    Chalk    Chalk [Link]  Go to top 
poppopmimi

I love the idea :)

And I'd love to help out, feel free to PM me, or find me somewhere. :D

Edit:Spelling >.>
Salovation/Seized - Mostly Cobalt

[Edit 1 times, last edit by poppopmimi at Aug 17, 2008 8:39:08 PM]
[Aug 17, 2008 8:38:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

Oooh, this sounds amusing. Count me in as a helper. ^^ I have bhotes on Sage.
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Artsy Stuff
[Aug 30, 2008 10:08:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com    Tilinka    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

Thanks for the responses, everyone :) I'm waiting on an OM response right now regarding the legality of the OCR DRR, along with prize support and the like. If/When I get clearance for the tool, I'll send out some PMs and distribute the tool, to allow us to test things out well before the event itself.

A change suggested to me by a friend: Instead of paying only the bottom half of each ship, just pay everyone. That way the people who make it farther are guaranteed to get paid more.
Tanonev on all oceans; currently exploring Meridian.
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Sep 2, 2008 10:14:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
AndyOrr

Tigger, your posts makes you look as if you're the kind of person who likes to jump on people for no reason and have a go at them. He/she was showing some interest, and was hoping it would be scheduled at a weekend, and did not demand nor even request anything.

Oh and back on topic; that's a really great idea for an event, something different for a change. I daresay there will be fewer OM-run bakeoffs in future due to the Puzzle Competitions/Tournaments (Whatever you want to call them.), so it's up to the players to do it themselves.
- Shambo -
[Sep 3, 2008 1:22:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates