• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 4
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1167 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
Redhand

Yarr! Give 'em a taste o' hot lead! Reply to this Post

One thing I think be missing from this fine game be black powder fire arms. 'tis rare indeed to see a pirate picture without his single shot pistol in hand.

I c'n see how it might be a wee bit hard to implement such a device and I wonder if'n it ain't been talked about before.

If not, here are me thoughts.

First, here be a great way to make the player spend monies. Iron for the shot ye see? A useable resource.

Next it gives a potential new game (pistol duels) as well as a potential add on to sword fights.

Here be the outline so far.

The player uses up two of this three slots for the pistol, if'n ye don't want to change the inventory interface to allow for different types of pistols.

One slot be the pistol, the other be the ammo. The ammo is a numbered bag. Say 10 shots per ammo bag, which costs the same as one cannon ball for resources.

The pistol cannot be used in a sword duel or shore brawl because it's dishonest and cheating. It can be used in a ship fight though. The mechanics being roughly along the lines of:

At the start of the fight a time limited pistol phase occurs where the player designates a target player. The shooter has (say) 10 seconds to designate a target or else it is assumed that he didn't have time to draw the pistol before the brigands decended on him. He gets one shot with his pistol which is applied to the target player before the fight begins. The result is that the target player starts with extra 'damage' the same as if their ship was damaged by cannons.

Notes about this:

A limit on how many pistols can be directed on one opponent may be needed to prevent a side from filling up 3/4ths of a persons slots before the fight even begins.

Even if a limit of three people can target one person at a time, some might think it would be too much. Consider this then, what if the pistols extra 'damage' were regular blocks instead of the solid unremovable cannon shot? This opens a few possibilites, such as you may not have to worry about a limit on how many people can target the same, er, target because filling up an experienced players slots by 2/3rds at the get go may just be setting him up to put a lot of hurting fast on your side. Another possibility of pistols giving colored blocks is that you could then sell pistols that give certain colors. So people could then buy pistols who's colors compliment their drop patern.

The result would be that you would have a resource consuming item that's neat and adds flavor to the game. In use it would most likely be thrown against the NPP or the inexperienced player to slow them down while the shooter concentrates on a more dangerous opponent.

Now about the new game.

Pistol Duel (1v1 only)

Pistol Duel would be a short fast paced game, setup basically like a horizontal version of swords. The playing space would be shorter and more narrow, thus making for a fast game. I envision somthing along the lines of GO where each opponent strives to change his opponents pieces into his own. Whomever fills the board with more of his pieces wins.

A player would use one ammo per duel.

As a possible example, you have a grid, 6 by 4. Challenger goes first.

There are 5 types of pieces. Disks with arrows on them, one disk with no arrows, one with one arrow, one with two, you get the idea. The combination of arrows and the directions (all right angles) they point are randomly assigned, the randomness of what you get depends on the type of pistol you use. Mechanics are simple. When you place a piece on the board, enemy pieces that are in squares adjacent to the arrows on the placed piece change to your color. Then any enemy pieces on arrow sides of those pieces change, etc.

A Small board means a quick game. There is however a fair bit of strategy here compared to a straight sword game. This is only an example.

If you don't understand the game as described let me know and I'll wip up a quick demo at home. May have to wait till Saturday though, Thursday and Friday are going to be awful busy.

Pistol Skill

This is purely speculation. Based on the number of pistol fights you win a high skill wouldn't effect the duel game, but could add a chance to increase the number of extra damage pieces dropped in ship to ship battles. Just a thought.

*takes off scholarly thinking cap*

That's it then. Tell me what ye think.

S!
----------------------------------------
Redhand "Sonar" Ward
Me father was a pirate, me mum was a bat, and don't get me started on all that...

WWIIOnline (Windhund) <-> Puzzle Pirates (ARR!)
[Jul 30, 2003 3:17:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.windhund.org [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Re: Yarr! Give 'em a taste o' hot lead! Reply to this Post

Booched.

Devs have repeatedly stated firearms do not belong in this game.

I learned that one after my brilliant gunbattle idea...
I like the idea though.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Redhand

Arr! Sank me before I got out of port!

Least wise I did try to keep the impact very low key. Ah well. I'll leave it up in case some other soul can mine a few good idea's from it.

--edit--

Dug around and found the thread ye were talking about. Hmmm. Allright I've drawn my conclusions.

Next topic :)
Redhand "Sonar" Ward
Me father was a pirate, me mum was a bat, and don't get me started on all that...

WWIIOnline (Windhund) <-> Puzzle Pirates (ARR!)
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.windhund.org [Link]  Go to top 
Longshot

That realy wouldnt be plausable. The truth was pistols back then were extremely inaccurate. What they would do would be to carry as many as possible. They would fire one throw it down and grab another out of their belt. Seeing as how in your version they would never miss, I don't think it would work.
[Jul 31, 2003 11:17:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates