• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 6
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2162 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
Birdmanjon

Planning a race type event... Reply to this Post

Planning a race event to run sometime in the future (exact date isn't yet determined!). Any comments or criticism is welcomed.

Here's what I've got so far...

--------------------

Rules
- Entrants must pre-register with name of pirate and name of sloop. The registered vessel MUST be a sloop. Any number of pirates may be on the sloop during the race. Any number of pirates from the same crew/flag may enter.
- The race will leave Labyrinth Moors and finish at Crimson Island ? the entrant may choose any route between these two points.
- The route can be run any time between 10am and 2pm pirate time. All runs must be completed by 2pm pirate time. Any run finishing after this time will not count.
- At the end of the run, a designated pirate is jobbed in to the crew as an officer to read vessel logs ? this is to stop people topping up the pineapples from another ship at the end of the race.
- The route may be run as many times as the entrant wishes.
- Each sloop can be stocked as much as the entrant wants, but there must be enough space to hold 50 pineapples.

Calculating times
- The start time is when 50 pineapples are transferred from a ship at Labyrinth Moors to the entrant's sloop.
- The end time is when as many pineapples as the entrant has are transferred to a specific ship at Crimson Island.
- Final run time is calculated by: (End time ? start time) x (start pineapples / end pineapples).

Examples
- Sloop 1 does the run in 2 ½ hours, starts with 50 pineapples, but only delivers 45.
Calc time = 2 ½ x (50/45) = 2 ½ x 1.1 = 2 ¾ hours
- Sloop 2 does the run in 2 ½ hours, starts with 50 pineapples and doesn't lose anything.
Calc time = 2 ½ x (50/50) = 2 ½ x 1 = 2 ½ hours
- Sloop 3 does the run in 2 ½ hours, starts with 50 pineapples and wins an additional 5 on the way.
Calc time = 2 ½ x (50/55) = 2 ½ x 0.91 = 2 ¼ hours
- Sloop 3 has the fastest overall time.

Prizes
1st place ? MB + 100 rum.
2nd place ? Cutter + 50 rum.
3rd place ? Sloop + 25 rum.

[EDIT]: changed numbers of pineapples...
----------------------------------------
Yarrmate: Captain and Profiteer of Quoth the Marlin
Looking for any sloops with the fish name Marlin
General Avoider of Bathing
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Birdmanjon at Aug 6, 2008 5:08:32 PM]
[Aug 6, 2008 10:46:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

Re: Planning a race type event... Reply to this Post

The idea doesn't sound too bad, but there is a problem that I have spotted. A sloop can only hold 108 pineapples if there is absolutely nothing else in the hold. This means that for a sloop to win more isn't going to end up helping the racer at all. Now, given, if you were using like fine rum, for example, as the commod you had to have 100 with at start, there'd be plenty of room for more, so you could stage a fight in the ocean and have one ship "lose" 1000 rum over to your ship. Now, since a sloop can only hold 8 more pineapples than the start, I don't see a staged fight as a problem, you'll probably end up hurting your time more than helping it.

Something else I'd like to point out is if you do a "between 10am and 2pm" type event, you have the problem that pirates will know exactly when to camp out and ruin someone's race time. I'd suggest giving a 24-hour window, so pirates can compete at their own leisure.
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Aug 6, 2008 3:49:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
Birdmanjon

Thanks for the input!! I was hoping a seasoned event runner like you would post something!!

A sloop can only hold 108 pineapples if there is absolutely nothing else in the hold.

Um, whoops - I was thinking of a cutter to start with when I wrote the rules out, but then changed it to a sloop as I figured more people would have one! Obviously I missed changing the numbers (/me used find and replace!!). I've changed it in the original post just in case someone else wants to say something about it!!

Something else I'd like to point out is if you do a "between 10am and 2pm" type event, you have the problem that pirates will know exactly when to camp out and ruin someone's race time. I'd suggest giving a 24-hour window, so pirates can compete at their own leisure.

This is something that I'd thought of... the original plan was to have the pineapples stashed on a ship somewhere, and to be transferred to another one at the end. Our crew is predominantly US based, so we really wouldn't be able to manage having 2 pirates to transfer stock to for a 24hour period. Any ideas how to work around that?

Thanks again.
[Aug 6, 2008 5:06:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stephensam

This is something that I'd thought of... the original plan was to have the pineapples stashed on a ship somewhere, and to be transferred to another one at the end. Our crew is predominantly US based, so we really wouldn't be able to manage having 2 pirates to transfer stock to for a 24hour period. Any ideas how to work around that?
Ah, yes. Well now that you say that I understand how you guys are doing the pineapples and that you need to be able to transfer them over to the pirates on the ships. Given a 10am to 2pm window isn't very much, if it was your crew can manage, then I understand.
Stevensam -Cobalt Native, founder and host of The PoE is Right. Creator of Lime Day.
[Aug 7, 2008 1:02:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Stevensam [Link]  Go to top 
Guppyzr

- The start time is when 50 pineapples are transferred from a ship at Labyrinth Moors to the entrant's sloop.

How will you know the exact times pineapples are transferred from the ships? Something like this would require alot of effort or Ocean Master assistance.
Guppyzra of the Imaginary Ocean.
Founder and Coordinator of Fight Circle

In the Name Of... ~carpe noctem
[Aug 12, 2008 8:35:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Birdmanjon

We have a stash of pineapples hoarded already - we would transfer them to and from a ship in our fleet. That way we would be able to check them on our own vessel records - no OM needed!
[Aug 17, 2008 10:41:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates