• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 4
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2052 times and has 3 replies Next Thread
SirCarl67

Alchemy Bake-off Reply to this Post

Alchemy appears not to be a financially rewarding puzzle and in a small way I would like to change that.

My idea is to have a bake-off. Participents would need to create an alt who would be jobbed into the event crew (not my main crew so there is no confusion with regular crew members / jobbers). On board it would be checked that they are novice able in alchemy and names would be noted. The other alternative would be to start in a house.

At the command to go they would rush to the nearest apothecary and alchemise like mad until they are oceanwide respected (to be confirmed). They would then come back on board where I would check they are indeed respected and announce on crew chat when the winning position(s) have been taken.

The event will take place on a Wednesday so no badges are required on viridian (my main ocean). Tomorrow I will puzzle with an alt to get an idea how long respected is likely to take (I'm good at alchemy but usually work very slowly I have done very little alch on the able/distinguished screens). I will also determine how many puzzles you are likely to be able to do before ceasing to be novice and make this public to try and level the playing field. If a participent has left the crew for some reason they will be able to send me a tell to get jobbed back when they reach respected.

I will probably set aside 50k for prizes and was thinking a medal & 30k for first and 10k for second. Alternatives would be all cash or include an achemy related furniture item (eg alchemicals).

I will be asking hearties to be a second adjudicator in case I d/c unlesssomeone here would like to volunteer (the event will probably start around noon game time).

Does anyone see any problems with this or have ideas to make it run smoothly.
----------------------------------------
Apollo tells ye "If you're ok for me to do one [bake-off], I'll go with that."
[Jul 29, 2008 2:48:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Re: Alchemy Bake-off Reply to this Post

This event looks quite similar to the distilling bake-offs that were done for familiars. I don't think you need to test the novice question, just note in the entry rules that you may be able to complete the puzzle without changing your experience, but all entrants must be novice (that way it's an even playing field in terms of information, and those who want to can bash their brains out maximizing their pre-start score).

Past ones were done with a time limit, with whoever got the highest rank first inside of that time winning the competition. Making it first to oceanwide respected would work as well, but then you'd need an idea of how long it would take. Keep in mind that at the lower levels of distilling, the fastest way to rank up was to deliberately perform much worse than you could but way faster - I'd hazard a guess that it'll work the same for alchem.

I would definitely start on the ship so you can confirm they didn't cheat and start early - you get a left the vessel message for people, but you don't get a left the house message.

I found the easiest way to check that everybody was novice was to finish jobbing, then using the jobbing pirates section of the crew page to click through each person - for your crew, the page is here: http://viridian.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/crew/info.wm?crewid=5000992

If you're going to rejob people into the crew, you'll need a way to verify that they were in the crew at the start. I would probably require them to stay in-crew, so that there is no confusion. Anyone who dcs will have a couple minutes to log back on and they'll still be in the crew after they dc.

Good luck!
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by sweetnessc at Jul 29, 2008 3:12:48 PM]
[Jul 29, 2008 3:11:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SirCarl67

Thanks for the response

If you're going to rejob people into the crew, you'll need a way to verify that they were in the crew at the start. I would probably require them to stay in-crew, so that there is no confusion. Anyone who dcs will have a couple minutes to log back on and they'll still be in the crew after they dc.

Chat logs would show who was on board at the start. I can also do a /pr immediately before the start. I would request that people try to stay in the crew if they can but if the winner needs to be jobbed back that shouldn't be a problem.

The time limit idea sounds good because I have never tried to speed ramp up so am weary as to how long it will take. Presumably the participent needs to tell me when they are up to oceeanwide distiguished etc so I can then chck the stats.
Apollo tells ye "If you're ok for me to do one [bake-off], I'll go with that."
[Jul 29, 2008 3:27:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

The OMs have run alch bakeoffs in the past, with rather minimal participation on each ocean (50ish people, if I recall correctly) considering the colored familiar prize. Of course, many of those people were also cross-ocean entrants, which you are unlikely to get without a familiar offered.

I would expect a relatively tiny turnout for an identical event that offered a mere 30K for first, 10K for second, and nothing for lower places. While I don't want to discourage you - the event will be fun for those who love the puzzle - the prizes are probably too small and too few to attract more than 10-20 competitors.

So, if you decide to run this, read over the OM bakeoffs and duplicate most of the rules (they stated novice/able, no incred trophies at the start). Also, plan for a large event (just in case) but don't be disappointed if you have only 12 people show up to compete. I also agree with Sweetiepiepi that the entrants should have to stay jobbed into the event crew.
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Jul 30, 2008 11:23:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates