• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 153
Posts: 153   Pages: 6   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 31328 times and has 152 replies Next Thread
MirandyJ12

Re: Captain Cook's Galley-Style Bakeoff - Win a War Brig! Reply to this Post

sorry just saw the question above mine. answered itself. But if wanted to split the prize, could we?
[Jul 30, 2008 11:55:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
soulfood

sorry just saw the question above mine. answered itself. But if wanted to split the prize, could we?

We will be handing out prizes to individual pirates. What you do with your prize once you get it is up to you. There are 10 prizes, so 10 pirates will receive prizes.
----------------------------------------
~Shannal~
SO Barnacle for Brains
Future Queen of Riot if things go my way...

Beautiful avatar made by Adida!
[Jul 30, 2008 11:58:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Darkdemons

can we us pre mix cake?the one that come in boxes you mix and bake :P?
DARKDEMONS FROM COBALT
FLAG ELEMENTS OF FEAR
SO CREW FIRE AND ICE
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Darkdemons at Jul 30, 2008 3:44:23 PM]
[Jul 30, 2008 3:43:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
soulfood

can we us pre mix cake?the one that come in boxes you mix and bake :P?

Yes. :)
~Shannal~
SO Barnacle for Brains

[Jul 30, 2008 4:28:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Panthie

Baked good/confectionery. Does this mean that I can bake multiple cookies to use in creating something?

Also, I'll probly need to 'tie' things together. I've been told there is 'rope candy' available from my local supermarket. Am I allowed yo use that in the creation process? It is confectionery
--Panthie--

Workmate: "I'm not lazy, I'm time savvy."
Me: "Observing the principles of the economy of motion?"
Workmate: *Nods*
[Jul 30, 2008 4:33:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EternalDaisy

Multiple cookies used to create something is well within the rules of the competition.

Rope candy is also allowed, so long as it isn't the entirety of the entry. I'm going to reiterate, in case someone has managed to miss it: this is a baking/decorating event, not a "glue candy together with icing" type event.
IsabellGrace

[Jul 30, 2008 5:09:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Panthie

Yup, all good, just checking that I could use a little to top off my monstrosity *Winks*. Details are essential to me, and, as you said, had to be 100% edible. String has the unfortunate property of being inedible.
--Panthie--

Workmate: "I'm not lazy, I'm time savvy."
Me: "Observing the principles of the economy of motion?"
Workmate: *Nods*
[Jul 30, 2008 5:21:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Deborah

You previously stated that breads were ok. Do these breads need to be baked in an oven, or is a bread machine ok?

So far as making candy and so forth to embellish, do these need to be baked candies (such as divinity), or can they be stovetop (like hard candies or taffy or nut brittle)?

What about premade dough products, like some of the Pillsbury items, or Phyllo?

I've got my idea all planned out, but I want to know before I start baking / assembling if I'm going to need to adjust the plans. *grin*

--m3
Hermes says, "At any rate, I'm afraid I'll have to cede to your blockade, ladies. Business calls."
Madmarymeade says, "I think this means Rexe-Mary 2, OMs 0?"
Hermes says, "We go down easily."
[Jul 30, 2008 5:43:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Master15S

Can we blur out faces in the enjoyment photo? Neither I or anyone I know want to be on the Internet. Or better yet, could we make a stuffed animal eat it?

You can blur your face, yes :)

Or just make it really close up so only your mouth is on the internet!

Stuffed animal doesn't prove that it's edible, sorry. :(

What about a real animal? /e doens't want to blur... takes work
PadmeMaster-- Only playing when she feels like it

I'm SICK of moving. Yay for one last move for a while!

[Jul 30, 2008 5:55:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Padmemaster.googlepages.com [Link]  Go to top 
EternalDaisy

You previously stated that breads were ok. Do these breads need to be baked in an oven, or is a bread machine ok?

So far as making candy and so forth to embellish, do these need to be baked candies (such as divinity), or can they be stovetop (like hard candies or taffy or nut brittle)?

What about premade dough products, like some of the Pillsbury items, or Phyllo?

I've got my idea all planned out, but I want to know before I start baking / assembling if I'm going to need to adjust the plans. *grin*

--m3

Bread machines are okay - you're still baking!

Candy is entirely acceptable if you've made it yourself, whether it is baked, microwaved, boiled, stovetopped, or boiled and poured onto snow.

Phyllo pastry and puff pastry are a go (they can be a pain to make) as are Pillsbury products. However, please don't bake a Pillsbury cinnamon roll, ice it, and try and convince us that it's a whirlpool - you won't get anywhere with it.

What about a real animal? /e doens't want to blur... takes work

Going to have to say no to that. I'm a dog person, and I know that a dog will eat (almost) anything. You will need to have a picture of a human being eating your creation, however for privacy/safety reasons, the picture may be cropped to include your mouth, the entry, and your namecard.
IsabellGrace

[Jul 30, 2008 6:51:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EternalDaisy

Just a heads up! It's the Civic Holiday long weekend here in Canada, so I won't be around until sometime Monday. Until then, please feel free to direct questions to the thread, or PM Shannal, as she will be comfortably at home and able to respond, while I laze happily on a dock in cottage country, with no internet access.

Have a good one!
IsabellGrace

[Jul 31, 2008 7:13:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jsail4fun

Great idea izzy!!

I'll try in the morning.

Stickyikky is all about wake-and-baking.
[Jul 31, 2008 7:29:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/~jsail4fun    jsail4fun [Link]  Go to top 
soulfood

**REMINDER**

Please read the instructions before you begin. It clearly states that a name tag must be visible in ALL photos.

If your name is not in the final product photo, you WILL be disqualified.

In the spirit of fun, we have decided that if you are missing a name tag in only one or two creation photos, we will allow your entry. Please understand, though, that if it comes down to a tie between you and another entry, it is likely that the other entry may place higher if they have followed all the rules, and their name is in all of the required photos.
~Shannal~
SO Barnacle for Brains

[Jul 31, 2008 8:03:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rolld20

If we bake a some chocolatey bars and send them to the judges, will we get brownie points?
;)
(I spent 3 hours trying to get one of my two digital cameras to function properly, and finally resorted to borrowing a camera from my co-worker; hopefully I'll have an entry up soon!)
Greyrat of Viridian
-------------

"The server is under heavy load due to calculating exactly how big of an idiot you are"

[Jul 31, 2008 8:14:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Milliny

OMG my photobucket account shut down, so my pictures wont show up. Im gonna try and get them onto another account tho :) I'll try and have them up by tomorow :)
A pirates life for me! A pirates life for meeeeee!
My friend, my friend and meeeee!
That makes us threeeeeeeeeee!
A pirates Life for meeee!

We bilge, we sail,
We con, we drink,
In carp we hit a naiiiiiiiiiiiil----
A pirates life for me!
[Aug 1, 2008 3:19:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
soulfood

If we bake a some chocolatey bars and send them to the judges, will we get brownie points?
;)

Hehe, the judges are anonymous, but if you want to send me some chocolate, I won't object. ;)

OMG my photobucket account shut down, so my pictures wont show up. Im gonna try and get them onto another account tho :) I'll try and have them up by tomorow :)

Remember all, Photobucket isn't the only photo hosting sit out there! Personally, I use Flickr. :)
~Shannal~
SO Barnacle for Brains

[Aug 2, 2008 6:38:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
VVlvr

Monkey :D
This idea got to me fast , i went shopping right away,
when i was done i thought of adding rasberries :D so i did, i think i did well.
Progress:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb229/ukranian_bucket/beachandcake020-1.jpg

Ingridients

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb229/ukranian_bucket/beachandcake019-1.jpg

Finished :

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb229/ukranian_bucket/beachandcake027.jpg

Eaten :P :

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb229/ukranian_bucket/beachandcake025-1.jpg

Prizes i prefer :

War Brig
Cauliflower Lamb (Pet Sheep - White/white)
Slab of Pork (Pet Pig)
Butcher's Knife (Yellow/Yellow Cleaver)
Baker's Outfit - Male (White/White Turban, White/white pants, White/white apron, white boots), or Female (White/White muffin hat, White/white apron, White/White flared pants, and white boots)
Pokeweed Berry Cake (Purple/red Cake)
Key Lime Pie (Lime Coloured Pie)
Flowers - Red daisies with card, inscribable once.
Kitchen Set - Table with Chairs, Recipe Books, Spice Rack (Table, 2 Plain Chairs Notebooks, Curvy Shelf)
Chocolate chip cookies
Ukranian! <3
***the finest pirate there is***
[Aug 2, 2008 6:43:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
soulfood

Please post your entry in the entry thread.

Only entries in the entry thread will be judged.
~Shannal~
SO Barnacle for Brains

[Aug 2, 2008 10:00:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
grand_druid

Re: Captain Cook's Galley-Style Bakeoff - Win a War Brig! Q Reply to this Post

i have a pirate on sage and a pirate on hunter,,, can i enter a dish for each pirate??
Grandm SO of rule brittania
king of god save the king
[Aug 3, 2008 7:47:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
soulfood

i have a pirate on sage and a pirate on hunter,,, can i enter a dish for each pirate??

No.

The reason for the 1 entry per person rule is that events are more fun when more people win. How would you feel if one person won 2 prizes and you didn't win any? We have 10 prizes, we want 10 people to win them.

So, 1 entry per person please.
~Shannal~
SO Barnacle for Brains

[Aug 3, 2008 11:52:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tradis9

If we were to make multiple muffins, but we used little paper cases to make the muffins, but then took them off before taking finished photo, would we be disqualified

(basically just using paper cases to make sure the muffins look the right size and shape)
[Aug 5, 2008 3:23:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Frostburnx

If we were to make multiple muffins, but we used little paper cases to make the muffins, but then took them off before taking finished photo, would we be disqualified

(basically just using paper cases to make sure the muffins look the right size and shape)

While I am in no way affiliated with the host of this contest, I think it is safe to say that it does not matter what you BAKE the delicious goods in. You just can't include anything inedible in your finished piece.
Baking cupcakes in their papers (and a muffin tin) is the same as baking a cake in a cake pan. If you are really unsure about it, simply butter your muffin tin and don't use papers! otherwise as you said, you can just take them off!
Liliene on Cerulean
[Aug 5, 2008 5:47:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/taradavis [Link]  Go to top 
Fizz

I do believe that question was addressed already. Read through the thread to find your answer.
Fizz -- RETIRED Senior Officer of Phoenix Warriors, Lady of Tyrs Own
[Aug 5, 2008 8:46:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
soulfood

Please just ensure there are no papers (or anything else non-edible!) in the final picture.
~Shannal~
SO Barnacle for Brains

[Aug 5, 2008 9:06:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fizz

I've noticed there are several of the photos for the enjoyment requirement do not depict someone actually eating the confection. Some are just parts of the cake cut away or empty plates, or even some that look posed as if they are eating, as in just in the lips, but not actually digesting. Will those sort of photos get their entry disqualified?
[Aug 6, 2008 8:12:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Frostburnx

I was just wondering that the other day Fizz so I am glad you asked, bc I want to also know!

Along with pictures of food in mouths, I am also planning on doing a short video of enjoyment~!
Liliene on Cerulean
[Aug 6, 2008 9:23:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/taradavis [Link]  Go to top 
sparkle1992

If we do a pirate scene does it have to look like the game, or can it look different?

EDIT: It said in the original post about it being on a plate/plank, what your making a cake, can it be left in its pan, or will we have to put it on a plate?

Elleana of Sage
Elleana, Sage I meant Emerald. Honest, I did. No, that's a lie. I did mean Sage.
Member of the Perilous Puppets, in good standing.
"Disclaimer: Our vow of support may or may not come with our actual support."
[Edit 1 times, last edit by sparkle1992 at Aug 6, 2008 10:48:59 AM]
[Aug 6, 2008 10:47:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rolld20

Some are just parts of the cake cut away or empty plates, or even some that look posed as if they are eating, as in just in the lips, but not actually digesting.

Um, what more do you want, an x-ray? Most photos show food entering the mouth, and the eater smiling. That's about the best you can do to prove enjoyment with a single photograph. :)
Greyrat of Viridian
-------------

"The server is under heavy load due to calculating exactly how big of an idiot you are"

[Aug 6, 2008 11:08:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fizz

Some are just parts of the cake cut away or empty plates, or even some that look posed as if they are eating, as in just in the lips, but not actually digesting.

Um, what more do you want, an x-ray? Most photos show food entering the mouth, and the eater smiling. That's about the best you can do to prove enjoyment with a single photograph. :)

I realize it can be hard to photograph "enjoyment" in eating something, but some of the photos just don't look like they actually ate their entry. Whereas there are a handful that definitely do. To me pieces cut out of the cake and a plate set up to look like it was eaten off of doesn't prove something is edible. I was just wondering. I am not a judge or anything. I just don't want people to get DQ'd because their photo wasn't proof enough. I don't even plan to enter. I don't have the time to make anything, let alone do I even like cooking. lol
[Aug 6, 2008 12:19:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
soulfood

I am going to suggest that everybody who enters should read the directions carefully. If you feel your photo does not fit within the directions, take another. (Please keep in mind though...looking at chewed up food IN somebody's mouth is icky)

Let's stop worrying about other people's entries and worry about our own.

If we do a pirate scene does it have to look like the game, or can it look different?

EDIT: It said in the original post about it being on a plate/plank, what your making a cake, can it be left in its pan, or will we have to put it on a plate?

If you do a pirate scene it does not have to look like the game.

A cake may be left in the pan.
~Shannal~
SO Barnacle for Brains

[Edit 1 times, last edit by soulfood at Aug 6, 2008 12:38:08 PM]
[Aug 6, 2008 12:36:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 153   Pages: 6   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates