• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 21
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4282 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
sweetnessc

Dead Men Tell No Tales [Post-Event Analysis] Reply to this Post

Phew! After a very riotous event today and one phenomenally amazing circus, just wanted to throw down a few of my thoughts before I forgot them overnight. I'd appreciate any other feedback anyone might have.

So, linky to the thread for reference.

- Maps: This was our biggest issue. A) Dusting: An eight day map dusts a week and a day from today. Maps can be generated no earlier than the same day of the week of the week before. B) Replacement maps: Additional maps to the same outpost will be created saying 8 days until dusting, but the outpost itself will poof before the map. Net result is you have persisting maps with no outpost tied to them. Which leads me to.... C) Number of maps: You really, really want all of your maps to be created on the same day. For this event on Midnight, I originally planned on 100 and had an extra 30 for backup, but between the contestants, the watching ships, the repeat attempts, etc., I think we went through close to 180 of them and needed more magicked up partway through the event. I would probably ask for at leat 200 maps on Midnight or Cobalt and twice that on the busiest doubloon oceans. Having to create more maps after the first batch leads to maps that go nowhere existing after the event. (For the curious, our original maps were created on July 4th and dusted around 1 am July 12th, and the outpost disappeared between 2 and 4 pm on July 12th. We exited the board at 2ish.)

- Helpers: Five was the perfect number of helpers. We put one on video x 2 cameras/alts (that board was BIG), one on map/replacement ship duty handing out the free maps, one on watching the shop records/confirming no early starts and sending a tell for the early start, and two as on the board judges - one responsible for announcing the ships that touched the wall, and one that confirmed to contestants that they'd done it.

- Yay /print!: The new /print command is a godsend. We took screenies of the leaders on the board at the end of each turn - about 4 screenies per turn to get them all in. I typed /info f12 over and over again.

- Surviving the turn to count: Doing the judging solely at the end of all moves was essential to tell who was there. 74 ships sank and I only caught three going down. You can't see which ship sank where after it's gone down.

- Timing: Shotgun start was essential obviously. Three hours might have been longer than needed (though the tan familiar winner did come in just before the end, pretty much everyone but the hardcore were off the board by then - we were down to two or three ships). A successful round trip, with 3 leagues voyage either way, took about 55 minutes. Two hours would allow for at least two tries each.

- Revised win condition: I would scrap the race into the board and require touching the far wall to win any prizes. It was both easier and harder than I expected. More teams touched the wall than I thought would, but few of them made it back to port. The judging would be much easier and clearer this way, and more than enough sloops made it across.

- Subscriber/badge status: All your on-board helpers need to be subscribed (or badged on doub oceans) - was a minor consideration for the videographer.

- Video: Video is pretty important. We had one ship that sank either just before or just after it touched the far wall. It ended up getting pushed out of the prizes by the ships making it back to port but we would've been scoobied without video.

- Understanding the rules and how the Atlantis board works: One poor fellow didn't realize you couldn't exit out the top of the board like in a blockade, and ended up sinking as a result after having touched the wall. A few navigators told me it was their first time in Atlantis. I would add an explanation of safe zones and the sloop safe zone to the instructions for the uninitiated.

- Starting the race: Several teams in the heat of trying to turn around quickly after sinking forgot to restart the race by trading at Cnossos and didn't realize until after they'd touched the wall. I'd revise it so that only the first ship had to trade, after that ship has entered the Atlantis board the same pirate name on any ship would do.

- Advertising: Intensive advertising is pretty key. I had the forums notice, sent tells in the game to all the navvers I knew and on the top ten lists for each arch, posted two or three 5k tournaments with an announcement card trinket each day for a week prior to the event, posted in many flag forums, and sent tells to all my hearties. Due to the intense nature of each puzzler's job, most teams did quite a bit of recruiting and planning before the day of the event. Though I suppose I should note that the winning team did not. :-)

- PVP: Two or three ships in the prizes were taken out by fellow players on the board. Though understandably people get upset about such things, I don't think it can be prevented, and so made it explicitly part of the event. A lot of people said they were going to set up pvp assistants to help their entry but I don't think anyone actually went to the trouble.

- Voice: We had the helpers on Teamspeak, on a googledoc, on gmail chat and on officer chat. Multiple channels of communication was very helpful.

All in all, the race was a riot to watch and I'm told to play in. Several people have inquired when I plan to run it on their home ocean. I may see about rerunning it on Malachite, but if anyone wants to pick up the format and run with it on any ocean (including on Malachite), I'd be delighted.

Also, thank you in advance for your input!
----------------------------------------
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by sweetnessc at Jul 12, 2008 11:55:54 PM]
[Jul 12, 2008 11:54:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nintendo_07

Re: Dead Men Tell No Tales [Post-Event Analysis] Reply to this Post

OP in event thread wrote: 
Prove your mettle by touching the far wall of Atlantis and living to tell the tale.

I could swear that I posted something about running an event similar to this in my "Anti-Holiday" event idea. I can't seem to find that thread no matter how hard I look though.
Obviously, I'm not accusing ye of stealing my event idea, but I am wondering where ye got the idea from. And if anyone remembers that thread, can ye please dig it up?
I believe I had posted an idea about having "Anti-Holiday"s around December '06(ish), and I'm fairly sure that one of the holidays was based around reaching the end of Atlantis.
Might just be me HWFOing again...
I wrote: 
Always think you're right, unless you're wrong.

Erdd on Emerald
Captain of Starfleet-East
Member of Hooked
[Jul 13, 2008 6:03:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

I got the idea from a screenie a hearty sent me of them touching the far wall on a sloop.

The thing about ideas is, if the time is ripe for them, more than one person will often have them at the same time. Two men in different locations independently came up with calculus. That's pretty cool.

The other thing about good event ideas is if someone has one, they should either do something with the idea, or not be surprised to see a similar event pop up. There's no such thing as ownership of event ideas.

Also, Atlantis didn't exist in December '06.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by sweetnessc at Jul 14, 2008 1:03:54 AM]
[Jul 14, 2008 1:02:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

Good event ideas always seem to come to multiple people... heck, I had an OM snipe an idea I was in the middle of writing up an event proposal for earlier this spring.

Pie, I have been trying to think of something do add to your post-mortem here, but you covered things pretty throughly.

One think I think this event told us is that with Midnight's current population, sloop events seem the way to go. 77 sloops is an awesome turnout, and far exceeds the number of people who showed up for the Season of the Flame event blockade, which wasn't even sinking (though in fairness, it was mid-day on a Friday). Maybe it's time for me to finish up planning for Sloop Blackjack 4: the Musical.
Feylind

Semi-retired Midnight Cerulean Event Addict
[Jul 14, 2008 8:07:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

One report I had: the island sold out of small cbs. That's something I had meant to check pre-event but got forgotten in trying to figure out if we'd have an outpost to play in. So yes, stock stock good.

Sublime is shame.
[Jul 14, 2008 10:03:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Varthlokkur

Sloops were fun because it was easy to do with crew, plus a pair of hearties, or with random "who's standing around" teams.

Sloops also means more navvers, and more individual input on events for puzzlers.

At at least one point, Cnossos ran out of small shot. This is a merchant issue as much/more than an event-runner issue, but might be something to watch for.

Oh, and having enough lesser prizes to reward full ships of helpers was very nice. It isn't the "sushi puzzle" Shur has asked for in the past, but I'm really happy to be able to give the whole team a reward from the prize pool.
Vistr of Innocent, of Crimson Tide
- Midnight, the grudge-holding ocean
[Jul 14, 2008 10:07:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    craigld [Link]  Go to top 
Nintendo_07

Sorry, for HWFOing...I just remembered what my event idea was. It was touching the wall of a Flotillaer.
Don't think I meant any disrespect in my previous post, I was just wondering where ye got the idea from.

Thanks for addressing my concerns!
I wrote: 
Always think you're right, unless you're wrong.

Erdd on Emerald
Captain of Starfleet-East
Member of Hooked
[Jul 14, 2008 7:35:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
Deborah

How much poe needs to be in the hold of a boat when it sinks for it to leave a wreck?

Would that work to get wrecks showing up in the Atl area for aiding in determining who sank where?

If it's expensive, though, that means pirates have to pay to race, which isn't so fun... though they are already laying out rum and shot (potentially), and whatever they 'buy' at the start island.

--m3
Hermes says, "At any rate, I'm afraid I'll have to cede to your blockade, ladies. Business calls."
Madmarymeade says, "I think this means Rexe-Mary 2, OMs 0?"
Hermes says, "We go down easily."
[Jul 17, 2008 9:34:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

The problem is that wrecks don't have labels on them, and the board is huuuuge - so huge that you can't see the whole thing with two screens.

Sublime is shame.
[Jul 17, 2008 9:42:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Just a quick note for future event planners, the OMs now have the ability to see when an Atlantean outpost will expire. I feel so speshul. :-)

Sublime is shame.
[Aug 18, 2008 5:26:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
UreMama

OK long dead thread but would love to see the 3rd event take place. Preferrably on viridian this time xD.
Kory on all oceans, but specifically Viridian
[Dec 16, 2008 2:42:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

I'm afraid Sage is next up. :-) I'll be posting the announcement just as soon as I hear back from Apollo on my requested timing.

Viridian will likely be after that though....

Sublime is shame.
[Dec 16, 2008 2:43:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
UreMama

good god you reply fast, i want another red monkey xD
[Dec 16, 2008 2:46:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
UreMama

This event will have to be cancelled unless the devs fix their mistake. A sloop will get an automatic shipwide it looks like when it gets next to an archelon. So heres what it should sound like

ZAMG we just barely dodged ramming that archelon. We are soooooo awesome. O noes, teh shipwide? WDF? /e curses.

Thats pretty much how it will sound. I prolly wont even participate in the event because its fruitless. In the last one every ship from what i saw ended up next to an arch/gorg at one point. SO honestly gl mates, but i think its going to be cancelled unless they make a new release
[Dec 18, 2008 2:19:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

That's a good point, and I'll have to take a sloop in to see what happens with the new goon bombs. If anyone does it before I do, please let me know the results, thanks.

Sublime is shame.
[Dec 18, 2008 3:56:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
freedomers

Sorry to ruin the point here, but have you done any on Hunter yet?
Swimchamp on
Hunta'

Haha... No.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by freedomers at Dec 18, 2008 5:50:54 PM]
[Dec 18, 2008 5:50:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
UreMama

only midnight and malachite so far
[Dec 19, 2008 1:11:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

*bumps HARRRD!*

Hokay! I need some brainstorming to come up with alternate formats. With the changes to Atlantis (removing the soft wall hiding spots, and increasing the goon bombs) the previous format doesn't seem to be feasible. Any ideas for what might be a workable format?

Sublime is shame.
[Jan 21, 2009 11:35:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

First to get back to port with a chest. 8)
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[Jan 21, 2009 11:38:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

Well, the most obvious change would be to use Cursed Isles instead of Atlantis. Would need some new requirements to make it harder, though, since navigating CI in a sloop isn't currently that difficult. Maybe having to touch all 4 corners of the board before exiting? Even that isn't too hard on the surface, but since the number of cultist ships on the board seems to be related to the number of player ships, a races worth of ships might be enough to make it challenging.

Hmmm......
Feylind

Semi-retired Midnight Cerulean Event Addict
[Jan 22, 2009 8:49:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Hmmm maybe if I bring out a loaded warfrig to get its spawn onto the board to contend with. New test to come!

Sublime is shame.
[Jan 22, 2009 1:07:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates