• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 17
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1895 times and has 16 replies Next Thread
7513wsmi

NPP servants Reply to this Post

No, I haven't gone insane.

I and Jasen were talking and I gave some random statement...

You told Jasen, "I think they should make bots that are slaves...?
You told Jasen, "Like they follow you every ware by your side and stuff"
Jasen tells you, "or buy bots as pets"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What do they do? Where are they?
Yeah, there could be some lag involved... but if we make it, so it?s not on docks... but in houses and shops (That allow them) and maybe vessels.... (They help in battle if low on pirates.) Maybe, train them to SF and rumbe. Chalange them on your master skills.

They can also greet people into homes. (If someone enters the room, it can say, "Hello and welcome to ____'s house, on ____ island." You could also change what they say, so they can say "Hey guys, come into the ___ room. We are all waiting for you"

Now I know that... were could I get them?

Palace Shoppe? You decide... give us ideas!

Can we name them?

Yeah, anything you like. It could be "Slave" or even "Steve".

Price range.

I'm not too sure... this is where I need you guys to help me. I and Jasen were thinking around 50-100k.
What do they look like?

Anyway you like!!! You buy them clothes, or decide to keep them in rags with no shoes or rum!!! Yarr!

There hair color and style can be anything you want, and even there skin color.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please help me and Jasen bring this Idea to life and give us a few pointers on how to make it seem better.

[If there is any questions you need to ask, DO NOT HESITATE]
Get involved!

Servants are a more palatable idea than slaves. - Faulkston
----------------------------------------
Captain of the Crew "A Bird's Eye"
King of the flag "Look At The State Of Us"
AKA Chadwell - Midnight.

Avitar by Shazbot.
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Faulkston at Jul 17, 2008 6:06:48 PM]
[Jul 11, 2008 5:13:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nicholaz1989

Re: Human Bot Slaves Idea. Reply to this Post

I think you too this the wrong way, I was just thinking having Bots as a pet, The ones you find in Inn's, but this whole ship helping and house greeting is just kinda dumb..

What your asking for is a slave so you can laze about on ships...
666 Jasen 666
[Edit 1 times, last edit by nicholaz1989 at Jul 11, 2008 5:40:04 AM]
[Jul 11, 2008 5:33:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shorty_Jack

I believe this has been suggested before and turned down.
Shortyjack of the Midnight Ocean
[Jul 11, 2008 5:39:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    silversleak [Link]  Go to top 
7513wsmi

nope.. I didden't at all.
AKA Chadwell - Midnight.

Avitar by Shazbot.
[Jul 11, 2008 5:43:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tlz_allen

I just don't see a game like YPP delving into and romanticizing an occurrence in world history so heinous as slavery. And if it did, I know I and a lot of other people would cease to play.
TlzAllen
Captain, The Dawntreaders
[Jul 11, 2008 7:33:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    tlz_allen2 [Link]  Go to top 
7513wsmi

They don't have to be slaves.... servents.
AKA Chadwell - Midnight.

Avitar by Shazbot.
[Jul 11, 2008 9:40:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hellblznlady

A human "pet" that does what you want it to is called a slave. If you buy it at the palace shoppe, and it counts as an item, then one will eventually end up in a bazaar up for auction.

Noty!
~Hollyberry
Better off alone.

Callistan tells you, "hollyberry=evil!"
You told Callistan, "yaso?"
You told Callistan, "Your point?"
[Jul 11, 2008 9:59:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AdlaiVermeer

There hair color and style can be anything you want, and even there skin color.

Does anyone else think this line is funny?

Slaves are anti-listed for a very very good reason
Adlai Vermeer, Freebooter at Large
[Jul 11, 2008 10:10:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Strider399

I can understand having some sort of auto-greeter for your house, that might be a (kinda) fun idea.... but calling it a slave is highly inappropriate >__>
Sid on Obsidian

Striderrs everywhere else
[Jul 11, 2008 1:11:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LeRoy82

I think you too this the wrong way, I was just thinking having Bots as a pet, The ones you find in Inn's, but this whole ship helping and house greeting is just kinda dumb..

That's What I see too...
"LeRoy82, is best known for leading Off Topic 7/10 times in his OWN threads/posts..."
Well, you didn't have to put it like that. )&
[Jul 11, 2008 2:11:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    LeRoy16_69 [Link]  Go to top 
Obaba

It's not a palatable idea. Slaves are absolutely a problem from a design and moral standpoint. Swabbies practically serve without question on a ship on the captain's XO's whim. But they do get paid in the way of rum.
So far in the game there has been a balance of atmosphere and function. Pets add atmosphere but can be a nuisance for t they do nothing except be cute and occasionally "speak" with a limited vocabulary.
The best a bot could serve as is a Retainer. The NPPs at the inns, with the exception of the old salt, could be hired for a regular wage to provide mostly what an Old Salt at the inn would do, take messages/greet guests, let's say for a party, and occasionally mutter something appropriately piratey in your home(s) for a short period of time.

A lot of requests for personal bots have come along, so don't be upset that it's not seen of favorably. The term slaves brings up a lot of negative ideas on how this could turn out badly.
Toji - Captain of "The Depths"
Obaba - Fleet Officer and Muse of "Le Freccette"
YPP Comic- The Depths of Midnight
Avvie by Pogo
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Obaba at Jul 11, 2008 6:50:37 PM]
[Jul 11, 2008 6:49:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://obabashut.com    Toji no Boushi [Link]  Go to top 
damagon

Make an alt and follow yourself around.
Damagon
[Jul 11, 2008 6:52:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barrelmonkey

So, you considered having humans as pets and didn't see a problem with that suggestion? If this were a futuristic game they could be robots, but here it's just slavery, which isn't a practice the game is going to support.

The NPPs at the inns, with the exception of the old salt, could be hired for a regular wage to provide mostly what an Old Salt at the inn would do, take messages/greet guests, let's say for a party, and occasionally mutter something appropriately piratey in your home(s) for a short period of time.

Why use an NPP for that? Give me 50 poe and I'll do it.
[Jul 12, 2008 6:07:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Welcome to Game Design. Please read the announcement thread for the rules.

There are many resources which may be helpful:
  • The List of ideas already given approval by the Game Developers. However this is not a delivery schedule and as the game gets updated, some of the ideas may become obsolete or unnecessary.
  • The Anti-list of ideas disapproved by the Game Developers. Note that they're not totally ruled out but the Game Developers often had some fairly strong objections. Any discussion on such ideas should start by addressing these objections, although the Game Developers are fairly firm on philosophical objections e.g. personal firearms in Puzzle Pirates.
  • Commonly discussed ideas is a fairly comprehensive listing of previously proposed ideas. Generally the Game Developers have not posted approvals or disapprovals of these ideas.
  • Search to see if your idea has come up before. You can ask for help with searching in this thread:
    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=6605
    Generally you can expect a response within 24 hours, though hard to find answers to questions may take slightly longer for a response.
If you do revive a thread older than a few months, be sure to call attention to the age of the thread. Simply putting the word "Bump" at the start of your post will do.

7513wsmi wrote: 
and maybe vessels.... (They help in battle if low on pirates.)

Here's an early proposal of that idea:
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=12121#12121
Unfortunately the thread the post was in was about renting familiars and wandered completely off topic (and back again and bumped for no particular reason).

There's also been a related idea on hiring additional swabbies for ships.

7513wsmi wrote: 
Maybe, train them to SF and rumbe. Chalange them on your master skills.

It is Anti-listed to have swabbies which improve in skill, so combined with the above idea, servant NPPs would have to remain able in brawls (i.e. team fights, even if they are the last one standing).

Palace trainer NPPs and island inn NPPs will fight for free. Swabbies can also do so but generally shouldn't be utilized in such a way on a ship out sailing.

7513wsmi wrote: 
They can also greet people into homes.

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=12125#12125
This post is from the aforementioned thread about renting familiars.

AdlaiVermeer wrote: 
Slaves are anti-listed for a very very good reason

The Developers have not in fact said that they would never put slaves into the game (as the Anti-list is a collection of Developer comments where they've said no or at least not yet). I would hope that they wouldn't need to make such a statement about slavery given the majority of modern attitudes and laws around the world against it.

I realize that the institution of slavery fit into the historical period but the Developers did rule out guns and the pirates we play in game do not go around having their way with innocent townfolk, up to and including murdering them, or for that matter, taking slaves.

Servants would be more palatable as an idea than slaves but likely would have to be paid weekly (analogous to shoppe and stall rent).

Faulkston,
:-)
[Jul 12, 2008 11:03:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
BaZZaMate

what about having Atlantean captives, which would cost more than humans and be more rare.

anyone like this idea?
[Jul 12, 2008 11:54:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

what about having Atlantean captives, which would cost more than humans and be more rare.

anyone like this idea?

At this point, the can of worms is large enough to be considered a drum. Atlanteans might not be human, but within the context of the game, they most definitely fall into the "people" category, so we can't just buy them, either.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Jul 12, 2008 11:59:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
GeriMorgan

Nope. Not even a little bit.

While the idea of having a PP bot to follow you around and do your bidding is kind of fun, I really find the "slaves" undertone to be rather disturbing. And when you assign values to them, as with the Atlantean captives, it becomes even more so. It comes down to treating people like commodities, which I firmly believe to be wrong. No one - not even automated Atlantean fish-men - should be treated that way.

That said, I like the idea of hiring (or renting) a "greeter-bot" for your house parties. You could program him with a certain number of phrases, which he could spew off at random; it could be a lot of fun. On the other hand, as barrelmonkey pointed out, you could probably hire a player-driven pirate to do the same thing. (I will happily take your pieces of eight to Rick Roll your parties. Just say the word!)

I would love to be an OM at this moment just so I could officially anti-list slaves, but since I'm not, would one of you big fellas mind stepping in to do the honors?
Ocean: Malachite
Pirate: Geronimo of the crew The Turtle Club
[Jul 12, 2008 12:05:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates