• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 66
Posts: 66   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7528 times and has 65 replies Next Thread
Neonila

Kitty cat help! Reply to this Post

Found a small cat tday outside my office ... there was a thread on how to take care of em if anyone can post a link cause I've never had a cat.

ps. Cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuteness!!!

edit: its bout 2 weeks old me thinks n its black with golden brown here n there. It's currently crawled betwwn our decorative pillows n sleeping :D
----------------------------------------
Alniyat,
Booching Blaggards -> http://dirac.dynalias.com/bb/

If the Fish Rumour Mongers had their way, we'd be dropping on everything.
I dropped a plate the other day. Does that count?
-- Missiep --

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Neonila at Jul 10, 2008 2:25:34 AM]
[Jul 10, 2008 2:18:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://neonila.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
peerage

Re: Kitty cat help! Reply to this Post

hi there

having had 4 x cats two of which were born in my lounge I feel that I am equipped to help you!

You need to get the cat to the vets asap so they can find out how old it is and make sure its ok health wise etc as if it is 2 weeks old it should really still be feeding off its mum but the Vet will be able to advise you on how to feed it etc

also its a myth that cats can drink milk - they cant digest it so pls get a milk that is especially for cats but again the vet will advice

also best to get the cat registered on a missing cats list so any local animal centre or association that is in your town as there could be someone looking for it

hope this is of help and all the very best and if you need anymore advice then please let me know :-)

Peerage - Hunter
Captain of Peer Pressure
[Jul 10, 2008 2:55:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fanta

Only 2 weeks? That is way young. It will need special care at that age, as it would still only be drinking milk from it's mother. It can't eat or drink by itself yet at that age. First thing to do is take it to a vet i'd say. They can tell you if it's indeed 2 weeks old, they could provide you with information on what to do and possibly provide you with special formula or at least give you info on what you should try to feed it. If it is only 2 weeks, you'll need a bottle to feed it.

This website if from a dutch woman who hand-raises many abandoned kittens every year, it has a lot of important information; http://www.geocities.com/turbo502002/index-en.html

Do realize it's not an easy "cute i now have a cat"-thing. Kittens that young need to be bottle-fed every 2-4 hours, day and night. You can't leave it alone to go to work, you can't sleep through the night. You may want to consider finding it professional help, like shelters or animal protection services. If you decide to take on the responsibility, then make sure you thoroughly read the page on bottle feeding in the above linked page. And get as much information locally as you can.

I really hope it's older then 2 weeks... Good luck. I'll try to find the other thread for you, but that was about slightly older cats i think.
Pleun,
First Mate of Monkey Militia, TO in Carpe Noctem, Midnight ocean,
owner of the Dainty Dolphin and the Mystical Dragon.

Avatar made from artwork by Kagaya
[Edit 2 times, last edit by fanta at Jul 10, 2008 3:04:09 AM]
[Jul 10, 2008 3:02:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Burnt_Water

Are you sure it's really abandoned?
Hard and big guide to whack off Brigands
How to make a pirate feel good
[Jul 10, 2008 3:27:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Bored en route? Bring a book or puzzle next time. [Link]  Go to top 
peerage

i would very much doubt that is only 2 weeks old, kittens can look younger than what they are so fingers crossed that it is older

i had a very ill kitten that needed to be hand reared from birth and yes it involves two hr feeds - the formula has to be just at the right temperature otherwise they wont drink it and it can be alot of work although my kitten did live to 6 yrs old even though she was alot smaller than normal cats - she also thought she was human where she been raised by me which was very entertaining as she would follow me everywhere at home and even try to chat with me!

but i cant stress enough how important it is that you get this kitten to the vets ASAP

Peerage - Hunter
Captain of Peer Pressure
[Jul 10, 2008 3:35:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Neonila

Are you sure it's really abandoned?

Yup, I work at a college n a lot of stray animals around. Thanks for the 'no-cows-milk' tip I had no idea.

I'll get it to a vet first thing tom. I'm not sure how old it is -some people told me bout 2 weeks but they didn't have cats either.

Thanks for the info :)
Alniyat,

-- Missiep --

[Jul 10, 2008 3:40:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://neonila.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

Can it open its eyes and move around fairly well?
Nemesis wrote: 
You ruined my joke, Goth.
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 
Goth is right. *shudders*

[Jul 10, 2008 3:53:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Neonila

Yup and it got into my car engine on the way home didnt even know there was a way in there :(

It can run too and its got teeth btw
Alniyat,

-- Missiep --

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Neonila at Jul 10, 2008 4:01:34 AM]
[Jul 10, 2008 3:55:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://neonila.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
fanta

If it's really 2 weeks, you shouldn't wait till tomorrow...

Let's try to find out how old it is. Does it have any teeth yet? And if so, which ones? Incisors start coming at 2-3 weeks, the canines at 3-4 weeks, and the premolars at 3-6 weeks. Can you take a look? It might tell us if you need to call a vet now, or whether you can wait till morning. If you can try feeding it some mushy solids, or not.

Oh and another thing, make sure it stays warm enough. A single kitten could cool down very fast.
Pleun,

[Edit 1 times, last edit by fanta at Jul 10, 2008 4:19:54 AM]
[Jul 10, 2008 4:19:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fanta

Yup and it got into my car engine on the way home didnt even know there was a way in there :(

Ah missed this while posting mine. Which teeth? It sounds like a lot older then 2 weeks. That's good.
Pleun,

[Jul 10, 2008 4:21:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Drusilla

Here is the link to the previous "Help! Stray kitten!" thread.

If you can't get the kitten to the vet until tomorrow, you could buy canned cat food specifically for kittens (it's important - more nutrients) and try feeding it that; you could also moisten dry kitten chow and see if it'll go for that.

Good luck! Let us know how the vet visit goes!
Avast! Jesus were a leopard.
[Jul 10, 2008 4:27:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    drusilla_ypp    raspberryjamdeg [Link]  Go to top 
fanta

Alright, a kitten of 3 weeks can try walking, but would still fall a lot, so it's older then that.

Very young kittens will only have excretion on stimulation, this is normally done by the mother. At 4 weeks they start to excrete independently and will try to copy the mother by trying to use a litterbox. On that note, if it's old enough, which i'm starting to think it is, you're going to need something for that too. Something flat, it's still a small kitten so a regular litterbox may be too high, if you can't go out to buy something yet, try filling something it with sand, or pieces of newspaper or something. You're going to need to get something to feed it fast though.

Edit* I found that at 5 weeks they can run pretty well. Could you also weigh it? This might be a helpful reference; http://www.geocities.com/turbo502002/groeischema-en.html
Pleun,

[Edit 1 times, last edit by fanta at Jul 10, 2008 4:42:08 AM]
[Jul 10, 2008 4:37:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nunny_45

Damn kittens sound hard to take care of... im happy i only have to deal with lambs which only need a warm place to sleep and to be feed 2/3 times a day.
Nunny
[Jul 10, 2008 4:54:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Neonila

Ah missed this while posting mine. Which teeth? It sounds like a lot older then 2 weeks. That's good.

Hes got quite a few teeth. Been looking at it for ages till it decided to open its mouth ... lol. 2 sharp ones in the front and 4 or so very tiny ones in the back. Both upper n lower jaw.

Got him some kitty milk from a pet shop :) and he likes my curtains ... hmm
Alniyat,

-- Missiep --

[Jul 10, 2008 4:59:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://neonila.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
Neonila

Here is the link to the previous "Help! Stray kitten!" thread.

If you can't get the kitten to the vet until tomorrow, you could buy canned cat food specifically for kittens (it's important - more nutrients) and try feeding it that; you could also moisten dry kitten chow and see if it'll go for that.

Good luck! Let us know how the vet visit goes!

Ty for the link :D
Alniyat,

-- Missiep --

[Jul 10, 2008 4:59:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://neonila.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
Neonila

Last questions mates:

1. kitty and ac? will it freaze? or will it melt with no ac?
2. kitty and sockets. hes trying to reach it ... should I close up all accesible ones?

Alniyat,

-- Missiep --

[Jul 10, 2008 5:17:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://neonila.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
Madmathilde

Hes got quite a few teeth. Been looking at it for ages till it decided to open its mouth ... lol. 2 sharp ones in the front and 4 or so very tiny ones in the back. Both upper n lower jaw.

Got him some kitty milk from a pet shop :) and he likes my curtains ... hmm

Aha - you've found out a big difference between keeping cats and keeping dogs then. :D Cats are instinctive climbers, so they will try to climb anything. They like being above things - so that means they like countertops, even tops of doors if they can manage to get there. Cats also scratch things - partly to mark teritory but mostly to keep their claws clean and sharp - their claws get a dead husk that they remove by scrtching things.

Myself, I decided furniture and curtains can look ratty and torn up, and countertops and tables can be wiped every time I want to use them - but then I've lived with cats all my life.
Gwendolyn Bleu,
ubiquitously Gwennie
Midnight: Marooned Marauders of the flag Fairwinds
[Jul 10, 2008 5:39:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yearbook50

Last questions mates:

2. kitty and sockets. hes trying to reach it ... should I close up all accesible ones?

1. Both. Have a blanket the cat can get into and it will work on regulating its own temperature.

2. Yes you should. Think of having a kitten as a toddler. (I have a 6 month old puppy that I'm still can't un-puppy-proof yet when it comes to wires, sockets, etc...)
Yearbook
Cerulean/Emerald
[Jul 10, 2008 5:40:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Madmathilde

Last questions mates:

Cats can adapt to cooler or warmer temps - most cats are comfy in the temps that we are comfy in, though they will seek radiant heat - sun, space heaters, warm car engines, stovetops. Cats can get overheated in stuffy summer rooms in climates where ac is commonly used, and in my experience overheating is a bigger concern than being a bit cool. I get worried if my house might get above 90F during the day.

About the sockets - kitty sees a hole and wonders what's in it. I doubt he can get his claws inside it, they aren't long enough. Even as kittens, cats are hunters, and holes are places prey might hide - in the case of a socket, some part of his brain thinks there might be a tasty insect hiding in there. (This hunting instinct and curiosity are useful - if you need to coax him out of someplace, crinkling paper or cellophane will often work - the noise is the sort of sound scurrying food animals might make, and he won't be able to resist taking a peak.)
Gwendolyn Bleu,
ubiquitously Gwennie
[Jul 10, 2008 5:48:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Neonila

Ty :D kittenprofing the house ... lol

He's cute, doesnt like being alone ... hihi
Alniyat,

-- Missiep --

[Jul 10, 2008 6:23:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://neonila.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
peerage

Ty :D kittenprofing the house ... lol

He's cute, doesnt like being alone ... hihi

it amazes me that people think cats are singular animals - they are so not!!

they're originate of course from the wild cats who are pack animals and love being in a group so i always say to people who are considering getting a cat as a pet to get two - this will provide them with company for each other

people are amazed when they see my cats interact and play/fight etc (they dont have to be kittens to play) as they imagine that cats normally just sleep eat etc

so if you do consider keeping the kitten then maybe you should consider another for company - a rescue centre is always a good place to look as i rescued my original two cats when they were kittens from a rescue place

from what you have said about the kitten it sounds like it is about 6 weeks old

also please put up posters etc around your place of work saying that a kitten has been found as you dont know if there is a heartbroken person looking for it already

Peerage - Hunter
Captain of Peer Pressure
[Jul 10, 2008 6:41:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gothmog1065

Your kitten sounds like it's good and ready to be properly weened. It sounds to be a little older than ours who is just now getting to run around well.
Nemesis wrote: 
You ruined my joke, Goth.
Arakael wrote: 
Goth is right, as usual.
Blobbles wrote: 
Goth is right. *shudders*

[Jul 10, 2008 7:02:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nikells

Myself, I decided furniture and curtains can look ratty and torn up, and countertops and tables can be wiped every time I want to use them - but then I've lived with cats all my life.

Lived under cats more like!
I don't think its unfair of you to expect them not to wreck your house in exchange for the free accommodation, food and full body massages.

As soon as my cats start bringing home something more substantial than a dead pigeon at night they can begin using the curtains as a scratch post.
Nikells - Viridian
[Jul 10, 2008 8:05:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://nikells.shackspace.com [Link]  Go to top 
ellopoppet

If your kitten is running about it's no where near two weeks old. It puts it more in the 3-5 week range and from what you have said I would guess it's at the very least 4 weeks old. If it's eating solid food as well and going the bathroom on it's own you don't need to bottle feed.
While it's best to leave kittens with their mothers for up to eight weeks I've known of many people who have raised kittens from 5 weeks up.

The reason the kitten may look so small is due to lack of food in it's first few weeks. Our vet told us to feed our kittens
Ensure , it's what older people drink because it's so full of nutrients, be sure to ONLY use the vanillia flavor. This worked very well for us and our kittens didn't seem to have any issue with their tum tums because of it. Also, worms and fleas are important to take care of. Your vet can fix both issues when the kitten is younger than 6-8 weeks.
~Athens~ Hunter

Want to know who makes my avatars?
[Jul 10, 2008 8:15:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tennveil

Why has no one demanded pictures yet? I demand pictures.
[Jul 10, 2008 6:37:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Madmathilde

Lived under cats more like!
I don't think its unfair of you to expect them not to wreck your house in exchange for the free accommodation, food and full body massages.

As soon as my cats start bringing home something more substantial than a dead pigeon at night they can begin using the curtains as a scratch post.

:P
I do let the little monsters get away with a lot...
Gwendolyn Bleu,
ubiquitously Gwennie
[Jul 10, 2008 6:39:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Neonila

Why has no one demanded pictures yet? I demand pictures.

lol ... I'll get a pic when he stops hiding :P Jumps on my desk whenever I'm out the room and runs and hides as soon as he sees me. It's vet day for scaredy cat :D
Alniyat,

-- Missiep --

[Jul 10, 2008 10:08:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://neonila.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
Neonila

There he is :) Likes soft food after all not milk ...

edit: How do people ever get a good photo of a cat? It wouldn't stand still :P
Alniyat,

-- Missiep --

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Neonila at Jul 11, 2008 3:21:35 AM]
[Jul 11, 2008 3:19:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://neonila.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
Yearbook50

edit: How do people ever get a good photo of a cat? It wouldn't stand still :P

When they get older, it will be easier as they calm down.
Yearbook
Cerulean/Emerald
[Jul 11, 2008 4:51:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
frodoslegacy

Awwww, what a cutie! Kudos on your decision to keep and take care of the little guy. I've had cats my whole life (starting with two who slept in my crib when I was just a wee pirate, lol) and they are wonderful companions.

I'm sure it will be less shy as it gets to know you and becomes familiar with its enviornment. Some cats are more outgoing than others but even they shyest cat usually comes to know and love their "owner" though they might hide when strangers approach.

("Owner" put in quotes because, as you'll soon find out, it's really the cat's world, they just kindly let us live in it).
Arick
SO and Diplomat of the "Werewolves"
Prince of the "Rogue Wolves"
on Midnight

Obsessions are the spice of life.
[Jul 11, 2008 5:32:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 66   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates