• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 9
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2509 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
muffy

[Implemented]Would ye be interested in a barroom brawl? Reply to this Post

The basic idea:

There would be bars where brawling was allowed (one of the existing inns on the island would do). Ye could not enter this inn without a certain amount of money in yer pocket (say, 100 pieces of eight, just like skellies require). If ye do enter the inn, ye are agreeing to be available for bar fights. Someone there can immediately challenge ye to a fight, for 100 pieces of eight. The rest of the people in the bar then choose sides in the fight, but the challenging side can never be larger than the challenged side (like skellies). There would be some reasonable upper limit on the size of the challenged side (perhaps 7 or 8, perhaps specified by the challengers), so that people would have some idea of what they are getting into. Essentially sea battle on land, with a fixed bet of 100 per person involved, divided equally among the winners.
----------------------------------------
[Jul 29, 2003 9:23:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Sweet Reply to this Post

This is basically what I'd like to have for land group swordfights. Perhaps more like the drinking game than entering a room; so everyone can inspect, buy in, and then it can start when sides are equal. Consider this firmly on the list.
[Jul 29, 2003 9:49:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Ramirez

Re: [Implemented]Would ye be interested in a barroom brawl? Reply to this Post

Good heavens! The Admiral is entirely displeased with this notion! What?! Why must you insist on breaking these liquor bottles upon my shiny helmet? Can you not see that you have caused my jaunty feather to bend?!

Why, you ruffians! Is it fisticuffs you desire, then? Have at thee, blaggard! Take this, ye foul-smelling ne'er-do-well! Ah, ah, had enough, eh? What? No, thank you, I have plenty of furniture in my fine home, you can put that table down - I do not need you to take it out to my coach. Sirs, I do not think the owner of this fine establishment would appreciate your blatant disregard for his property.

*crash*

Urk.
It's seven leagues to Turtle Island. We've got a full cask of rum, half a keg of gunpowder, it's dark, and we're wearing eyepatches. Hit it.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ramirez at Jul 29, 2003 10:57:48 PM]
[Jul 29, 2003 10:57:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
thies

On the other hand it means that there is one island with an inn not readily accessible to new players. Given that I guess this brawl inn will be an existing one on a big island where new players are frequent I don't think this is a good idea. group fights on land, sure. But having that restricting access to an Inn doesn't sound good.
[Jul 29, 2003 11:50:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.xyver.com    ThiesCEA [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Ramirez, that's the funniest post I've read in a long time.
[Jul 30, 2003 12:03:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

hee hee Reply to this Post

More, Ramirez, more!

As for the "restricted" Inn, ye're right, and I should have mentioned that I would think the island should have at least two inns in that case. Another way to do it would be to "check yer sword at the door" if ye don't intend to fight. Or, as mentioned earlier, have it be like a drinking game, where ye set up a fight with a bet and then let people join.

Also, as I mentioned in another thread but forgot here, the innkeeper of course should get a percentage of the money bet on the fight to pay for the damage to the premises.
[Jul 30, 2003 1:31:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rengor

Excellent idea Rif!

Perhaps to prevent everyone from wanting to join Ursela in the fight you could balance it so that the pool will be divided based on your odds (basically the compared strengths). So if two Ultimate fighters beat up two new able lads then they wont win too much, but if the able players instead wins it then they take most of the pool (and the honor!).

With the future recording of fights that Jack mentioned there could be a station to show the recorded fights in the Inn, and maybe even a simple voting system to have the top 10 fights of all time in the Inn. Legends are born in bars too you know!
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[Jul 30, 2003 3:47:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stoneman

The poll says it all.. 100% for Barrom brawls.. :D
-=Stoneman, Officer of Black Death=-
-=Feared now and then=-
[Jul 30, 2003 6:58:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://tt.bulie.com    ehaanaes    Ehaanaes [Link]  Go to top 
shockedfrog

anyone played tetrinet or similar games? i think it would be good to have a similar system to it where players can make special teams just for the fight if needed (or have an all vs all where everyone fights for themselves), target their attacks on any individual enemy (although obviously attacks in puzzle pirates aren't based on activating powerups) and basically have brawls where people aren't quite so organised.

But yeah, the earlier posts in this sound good, and allowing the people who 'left their sword by the door' to watch fights - either thumbnail versions of everyone's grid, or watch one person at a time - would give people a reason to come in even when they aren't up for a fight themselves.
[Jul 31, 2003 1:49:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates