• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 9
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1498 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
Cryptic

Social Advancement - sans l'argent Reply to this Post

Apart from the general good and sound advice that one should just enjoy oneself while playing YPP, the only real statistical progression in game which really marks standing is gold.

"Bah!" I say, "Bah! And extra humbugs to go with it!"

Of course an egalitarian and communistic social environment belongs in some la-la land of fluffy pink clouds and not in the realm of semi-brutal pirates who don't always remember to hold doors open for each other.

Now this might meet with some great opposition BUT I do propose some more social and other types of ROLE playing. "Oh! How original!" ;)

Level grinding is of course a big no-no! Definitely not something that I am proposing. YPP does just fine with out any sort of level system.

Here are some other suggestions though for some good RP features which YPP could somehow borrow or adapt. Why do I always love going around and doing any new quests added to an MMORPG even if they are meant for lvl 1 noob chars? Quests are one way to introduce story and vitality in to a world.

A life long grudge against a random NPP? A mission to find a certain color dye for your governor's next ceremonial hat? Anything and everything can be made in to a quest. These quests could also prove as ammo for any story-telling game such as has been discussed.

Beyond that... dare I say it? Classes! Alright, so perhaps everyone should be allowed to sail when they want to or pump bilge when they want to or even swim with the sharks when they want to...

Go ahead let them! BUT... what if being a member of certain class gave you advantages in certain puzzles? Simple things like this help people to develop an identity and background for their characters.

More to come after I get a popsicle and wash up; I was digging in the garden earlier and I just happened to have to swing by the boards when I got in. ;)

You know how it is! :P
----------------------------------------
Cryptic

When the fell moon rises and kingdoms fall
There's a time of darkness before cock's call
When the Tide washes in from windward to lee
And she leaves behind her a blood-red sea
[Jul 28, 2003 11:20:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Re: Social Advancement - sans l'argent Reply to this Post

The only way I really want to see classes is in uniforms and useless titles, so that people can have the look and persona they want. Nothing with a game edge, and nothing that restricts me from doing any particular thing.
[Jul 28, 2003 1:25:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

I only support classes if they allow the titles I've been wanting lately. So far on my unofficial title list I have

Designated Aggressor
Philosopher
Worthless Newbie
Fashion Plate
Faux Pas-ian
Rumrunner
Dictator-for-Life
Arm Candy
Nontraditional Barely Sub-Captain
Second Mate
Animal Trainer
Hustler
Storyteller

also, the ones listed below.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Jul 28, 2003 1:44:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saynata

Classes that allow for advantages on duty puzzles seems like taking it a bit too far and allowing for mediocrity to be good enough. If you like doing a puzzle, you'll have increds/excellents/goods no matter what you do, especially with a good amount of practice and any nudge will just be padding.

However, I would enjoy a taste of RP now and again. To state the obvious, I don't think that you could get too strict with it, since there's no way to monitor whether people are talking about the finer points of mending sails or the finer flavors of ice cream (ARR!), but if more people were inclined to RP, fun could be had. Quests would be great as a 'thing to do,' but I'm not sure of how it would do as a bolster for RP unless you had to RP to complete the quest, and I guess that could be coded (Don't see that going to high on 'The List', though).
-RP strict crews would be plausable, I think, but again, not necessary with effort.

-For Example: Roxy carps, she's blood-thirsty, short-tempered, haughty, a bit of a coquette, and she has a big mouth. Everyone in ARR! knows it. She and Soma will go and attack the brigs that Rifkind and Frederico are a little more cautious about. It's a flaky and thin background, for sure, but it works for playing a character, and I don't need to make any changes in-game to create it. I can tease Frederico for being a wimpy trader, even if he's better than I am, and be 'blind' enough to challenge bigger foes, even if I'm bound to lose. You can make yourself any kind of RP background that you want, and if you repeat it to enough people, you can even have a reputation-all it takes is effort.

---
Fron, are you going to answer to those titles even if they're not appointed to you?
[size=9] Saynata, Captain and Supreme So-and-So of The Sirens; Former Mistress of the ol' Sew 'n' Sew.
[Jul 28, 2003 2:27:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

I have always beena strong proponent of role-playing (as has Barnaby).

It seems that this sort of thing, however, would be easiest and most happily implemented in crew web pages. Having a character bio for everyone in the game (even though most would, obviously, not use it) might be a bit of a pain, data-wise. If one of our illustrious programmers looks up from his dilligent work on economic code to peek at this thread he may argue it one way or the other.

I like anything that improves RP, but never at the cost of our basic gameplay aims: ease of play, broad audience, no levels or numbers (or classes)

Done with your popsicle? More ideas?
[Jul 29, 2003 2:20:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cryptic

Actually yes I did finish that popsicle but I've also been polishing up a short story for a competition that closes on Thursday... :eep: ...and now I have to leave for work in a few minutes.

I will do my best though to jot down some other bits and pieces on the side. ;)
Cryptic

When the fell moon rises and kingdoms fall
There's a time of darkness before cock's call
When the Tide washes in from windward to lee
And she leaves behind her a blood-red sea
[Jul 29, 2003 4:10:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

The bio idea isn't, to me at least, a great idea. It hink on the most part it wouldn't be used, and could be filled by some type of visible item. If someone wants a detailed profile, you can always make a website for your crew.

One thought I was thinking of was having certain clothing become available when you have a certain experience rating (or maybe a certain consistency of standing, to take the idea away from the idea of the need to level) some item or clothing would unlock. Maybe allow a parrot to be worn on the shoulder for an expert navigator, or allow some other distinguishing mark for a great ability at a specific puzzle. An important restriction would be only one such distinguishing mark. Included in this should be items available to royalty, like a crown, so you couldn't have both a parrot and a crown.

Of course, there is still a need to have a personalized history available. But, in my opinion, there's no reason to clone features we have on the internet in the game. Which is just the reason I don't want ingame email and such.
[Jul 29, 2003 4:19:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

Although I would hate to see me crew become unionized, allowin' folks to form and join guilds seperate and apart from crews/flags might be nice. A trade guild or some such. I haven't really thought it out, but Duncan and I might could start a Grumpy Ole Grampy guilde whar we encourage gripin' about thangs. =D

Fronsac could take the Wolfpack to a whole new level as a cross-cultural drunkards group.

Ye might have the League of the Blade.

Eventually ye might even allow thar to be tangible benefits such as the discounts that Chambers of Commerce and Diners Club do.
Pennsuedo

My art: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all
[Jul 29, 2003 5:44:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
Melmoth

Economic incentives Reply to this Post

I think Pendalla has an excellent point there. Economic incentives for things like guild membership, or membership in a particular flag (buying commodities controlled by that flag less expensively than they are available to crews of other flags, for instance), even items only available to guild members, would be highly preferable to any kind of class system.

My opinion isn't worth much. I've been playing YPP for two days, after all, but I can tell there's a lot about this game I like which I really hated about many other MMORPG efforts.
------------------
Yar! Pirate pants!
[Jul 29, 2003 11:33:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://grassrootshell.org    dokt0rmel [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates