• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 377
Posts: 377   Pages: 13   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 101647 times and has 376 replies Next Thread
Fiddler

Beat the Champs - Redux Reply to this Post

With the release of Malachite, we now have a shortage of ready islands for the future. You could help remedy this situation! Give a try to one of these design challenges and show us your stuff. If we like what we see and we think you've got the skill & the eye for design, you may be invited to join our team of island designers to work on the next ocean. Please note that creating a good island takes many revisions, even for practiced island designers, so be prepared for plenty of feedback and several iterations of your idea.

I'll paraphrase the submersible one from the original contest thread:

Nemo sort of wrote: 
This is the thread for posting further island attempts. If we notice a particularly well-executed island, you may be asked to make an island for a new ocean. Post as many islands as you like, changing them as much as you like. Post islands within the general guidelines of island rules quoted below. Post critiques and comments here, if you like. Enjoy yourselves!

Here are the basics:
* Download the scene editor.
* Read the Editor Basics and Design Tips
* We want a lot more natural, normal islands than spicy ones.
* Don't use every plant. Give your island an ecological niche by favoring certain plants over others.
* Islands absolutely must fit their colonization needs. That means you need to leave enough room for all the buildings an island of that size should have.

What this means is try making islands that look like islands instead of skulls or fish or your boyfriend's face. There are plenty of opportunities to get clever once you've shown that you can do it well. When you're ready to show off your island, take an overview screenshot, upload that image somewhere on the internet along with the island's XML file, and link to both of them in your post.

Some advanced tips and guides.
* Hosting Files - Emerson gives some good advice on how to put your island snapshot on the web.
* How to make a dock - Emerson provides step by step instruction for adding a dock to your island.
* Island Design Guide - A thorough guide to island sizes, commodity types, and building restrictions.

Larges
These islands will have to hold dozens of buildings.

Large 1
*150 wood
*50 stone
*10 sassafras
Heavily wooded with a small inland lake to the north.

Large 2
*100 sugarcane
*50 hemp
*10 lorandite
Mostly swampy, this island has recently been devastated by a hurricane.

Large3
*125 iron
*10 papagoite
*10 thorianite
A smoldering volcano has thrust out of the ocean, exposing a rich seam of iron and precious minerals. A few daring plants have taken hold along the shoreline.

Mediums
A small handful of buildings helps to give these islands character.

Medium 1
*30 iron
*12 broomflower
A dock and an empty fort are all that remain on this grassy plain.

Medium 2
*50 sugarcane
*11 butterfly weed
Serveral streams meander through a light tropical jungle.

Medium 3
*60 stone
High cliffs make this island treacherous. Still, intrepid colonists can carve out a living in these rocks.

Outposts
Large enough to provide a fort and a few choice shoppe locations

Outpost 1
*20 iron
*10 wood
*5 of any one herb or mineral
A natural cove protects some vegetation while rocks in the harbor prevent deep moorings.

Outpost 2
*15 wood
*5 of any one herb
A small pine forest with a smattering of oak.

Outpost 3
*15 stone
*5 of any one mineral
Muddy land devoid of most life.

Tiny
No commodities grow here and there's not enough room for two buildings. Try to be creative within a tiny area.

Tiny 1
Rocky, a spit of land jutting out of the water.

Tiny 2
A sandbar with some oceanic detritus washed up.

Tiny 3
A shell island with dense overgrowth on unstable land.

----------------------------------------
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Fiddler at Jun 9, 2008 9:41:34 PM]
[Jun 9, 2008 12:10:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
paaaad

Re: Beat the Champs - Redux Reply to this Post

Tiny
No commodities grow here and there's not enough room for two buildings. Try to be creative within a tiny area.
Is This a new Class of Island?
Gali on the Meridian
Galitwo on the Emerald
[Edit 3 times, last edit by paaaad at Jun 11, 2008 2:11:46 PM]
[Jun 9, 2008 2:06:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
paaaad

Wow! All Three "tiny" islands done in less then an houer!
Gali on the Meridian
Galitwo on the Emerald
[Jun 9, 2008 3:08:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Debbi9

SOmeone mind giving their thoughts on this Island for Outpost 2?

I am not the most technologically Wise person so i cannot figure out this XML thing.
Amberre of Cobalt

Me Carpenting

Crip says, "but i wouldnt mind her as a gf i would just use the words"
Crip says, "sthu woman."
[Jun 9, 2008 5:33:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

paaaad wrote: 

Tiny
Is This a new Class of Island?

No, it's a design challenge. In some ways smaller is easier, in some ways it's much more difficult. Can you effectively convey your message in as few squares as possible?
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Jun 9, 2008 6:55:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

I am not the most technologically Wise person so i cannot figure out this XML thing.

It looks promising but we really need to have the XML file so we can see the image in full size and check for errors and problems. Take a look at http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Scene_editor_basics#Saving_your_work, http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Island_Design_Guide#Saving_Your_Work, and http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Hosting_files.
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Whitewyvern wrote: 

[Jun 9, 2008 7:03:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
Dexavis

Lets hope this works.

Medium 2

http://www.freewebs.com/dexavis/Medium%202
Any ideas?
Dexavis
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Dexavis at Jun 9, 2008 8:46:21 PM]
[Jun 9, 2008 7:40:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
strider_ani

Great! I'm gonna get right on em.
Rolf on Cobalt
Perrin on Hunter
Captain of Checkmate on Cobalt
[Jun 9, 2008 7:51:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
blissbabe

Lets hope this works.
{insert Dexavis' image here}
Any ideas?

Hmm. The description says several streams. It kind of feels to me like there is too much water to be streams.
Blackdress.
The Wise Romtu wrote: 
A quote is a fragment of the soul that flutters through the breeze like dominoes. Grasp it too tightly, and it will reach critical mass. One cannot own ones words.

[Jun 9, 2008 9:15:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/theroseline [Link]  Go to top 
Holy_Fire

Wow... I just got back to playing with Yohoho Tools a couple of days ago. ( I was working on a pirate museum but I will finish that some other day)

Well I am excited, I know it won't be days or weeks until I finish making a island I would post but if you like to look at my past work and help me become better that would be great!

Here is a link My Island Designs ... (WARNING lots of pictures give time to open all!)

I am off to work on a new island....
[Jun 9, 2008 9:41:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

Dexavis
1) This island is not nearly big enough to hold ten buildings. Look at the building requirements on the Island design guide, and then leave room for one or two more so as to give a potential governor options in building placement.
2) You need to remove all the tiles of seawater that you have placed. The game automatically adds them to the island background, and by placing them explicitly you have rendered large swaths of your island unwalkable, as explained here. You can set seawater as the default tile while you are working on your islnad by selecting the seawater tile, clicking on Actions, and selecting "Make default base tile". Emerson's "Howto:Make a dock" has a good example of the default base tile in action.
3) Once you've done that have a look at hiding the grid, an excellent post originally by Yngvild. You've got agood start on smoothing the curves on your shoreline but the sand and grass transitions are still quite blocky.

4) As for the actual design I think you're headed in a good direction. While these feel more like lagoons and pools rather than streams, you've definitely headed for "light tropical jungle". Have a look at the Islay of Luthien on Midnight or Sargasso Island on Malachite for good examples of streams.
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Whitewyvern wrote: 

[Jun 9, 2008 10:04:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
SM_Forums

Criticism appreciated!

Outpost 3

Uncolonised: http://www.egoshare.com/download.php?id=B5ABFC0A9

Colonised: http://www.egoshare.com/download.php?id=0644350E9

Sorry I don't have pretty pictures, I forgot how to get them and my PrntScrn button is broken.
Swordmaster on Hunter
Timmeh wrote: 
Life is so depressing with pants on.
Current avatar by Tilinka <3
Taking a break.
[Jun 10, 2008 4:06:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
blissbabe

I can't open them. =[
Blackdress.
The Wise Romtu wrote: 
A quote is a fragment of the soul that flutters through the breeze like dominoes. Grasp it too tightly, and it will reach critical mass. One cannot own ones words.

[Jun 10, 2008 4:24:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/theroseline [Link]  Go to top 
ellopoppet

I have been waiting for this for over two years!

I'll get to work tonight :)
~Athens~ Hunter

Want to know who makes my avatars?
[Jun 10, 2008 5:05:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Debbi9

It looks promising but we really need to have the XML file so we can see the image in full size and check for errors and problems. Take a look at http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Scene_editor_basics#Saving_your_work, http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Island_Design_Guide#Saving_Your_Work, and http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Hosting_files.

Whenever I save my file as an XML i can never find it on my computer.
Amberre of Cobalt

Me Carpenting

Crip says, "sthu woman."
[Jun 10, 2008 5:07:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

Debbi9 wrote: 

The default folder for the save files should be the same folder where you've installed the scene editor.

SM_Forums wrote: 
Criticism appreciated!

Outpost 3

Sorry, I'm having trouble downloading these files.
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Whitewyvern wrote: 

[Jun 10, 2008 11:48:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
Remalle

What exactly is a "shell island"?
Edit: My take on Tiny 2 (I wasn't sure how large tiny is, so I made it quite small). Any comments on shape? I personally like the shape. What about the plantlife? I wasn't sure how much plantlife to put on a sandbar, and added a bit more then I was comfortable with (to make it easier to remove stuff, if necessary).

XML
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Remalle at Jun 10, 2008 3:17:00 PM]
[Jun 10, 2008 2:25:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Debbi9

Debbi9 wrote: 

The default folder for the save files should be the same folder where you've installed the scene editor.

Thank ye, Found it i believe
I am still a bit confused what to do with it though.

EDIT: after playing around with i finally found the XML file...
http://www.freewebs.com/amberre/IslandDesigns/Iletto.XML
Amberre of Cobalt

Me Carpenting

Crip says, "sthu woman."
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Debbi9 at Jun 11, 2008 6:02:24 AM]
[Jun 10, 2008 5:59:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Seaslush

This is my take for either Tiny Island One or Two.
I think it fits more with Tiny Island Two.

I named it the suitable name of 'Detritus Spit'
XD
Is it too tiny?

'So who wrote the bible?'

'Jacqueline Wilson!'

Captain of Cubic Zirconia, King of the 'Carnival' Flag.
Seaslush's Avatar Shoppe!
[Jun 11, 2008 2:35:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SM_Forums

Okay, I think I've fixed up those hosting problems.

Outpost 3

Colonised
http://www.freewebs.com/smypp/Outpost%203%20Colonised.xml

Uncolonised

http://www.freewebs.com/smypp/Outpost%203%20Uncolonised.xml

Feedback is appreciated!
Swordmaster on Hunter
Timmeh wrote: 
Life is so depressing with pants on.
Current avatar by Tilinka <3
Taking a break.
[Jun 11, 2008 2:41:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

Remalle wrote: 
What exactly is a "shell island"?

It's basically an island made entirely of (or at least covered densely by) shells, both whole and crushed. I saw something on the Travel Channel about them but couldn't find a good online reference. Think white sand when looking at this one.

Seaslush wrote: 
Is it too tiny?

That's probably about the lower limits, yeah. I like it though. Nice use of the seabattle rock. If you revisit this island try going a bit bigger with more stuff washed ashore.

I'll post again when I get back to my computer with the scene editor on it.
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Whitewyvern wrote: 

[Jun 11, 2008 6:14:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
Holy_Fire

Edited, I didn't like how the island turned out making some fixes to it and my start over on it =)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Holy_Fire at Jun 11, 2008 6:27:47 PM]
[Jun 11, 2008 9:45:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
paaaad

Should you be able to fit a fort on a tiny island?
Gali on the Meridian
Galitwo on the Emerald
[Jun 11, 2008 2:13:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

Let's put it this way - if you can fit two buildings on your tiny island, it's too big. Keep in mind that Typhoon on Viridian almost fits the definition - if some of those larger masses were smaller, it'd be a perfect tiny island.
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Whitewyvern wrote: 

[Jun 11, 2008 2:52:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
Daggerdarla

Would something like this fall into Tiny 3 category?
(all comments and advices are welcome)

Tiny 3 xml
DaggerDarla of Sage
(exploring all other oceans too)
[Jun 11, 2008 3:17:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
paaaad

Let's put it this way - if you can fit two buildings on your tiny island, it's too big. Keep in mind that Typhoon on Viridian almost fits the definition - if some of those larger masses were smaller, it'd be a perfect tiny island.

I'l take that as a no.

Oh, bye the way, the comodity counter on the sean edtor seams to be broken.
Gali on the Meridian
Galitwo on the Emerald
[Jun 11, 2008 3:36:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexavis

Thanks for the feedback, this is what I have so far.

Uncolonized

Medium 2(Uncolonized)

Colonized

Medium 2(Colonized)

Any other suggestions?
Dexavis
[Jun 11, 2008 4:16:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Remalle

It might just be me, but those streams looks a bit squared.
Is it just me, or is finding a feasible island concept really hard?
[Jun 11, 2008 4:37:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
paaaad

Would something like this fall into Tiny 3 category?
(all comments and advices are welcome)

Tiny 3 xml

/me bonks head on table. You dont need to put seawater tiles around the edges, as a matter of fact they make the shoreline unwalkable, just get get rid of them and then set the seawater tiles as defalt base tile. same for you dexavis.

Edit to add
Gali on the Meridian
Galitwo on the Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by paaaad at Jun 11, 2008 5:11:13 PM]
[Jun 11, 2008 5:09:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

An overview snapshot will automatically create seawater fringes around the edge of the island even if there is no explicit seawater tile.
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Whitewyvern wrote: 

[Jun 11, 2008 5:33:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 377   Pages: 13   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates