• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 42
Posts: 42   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4241 times and has 41 replies Next Thread
homullus

Re: PvP, game design, and what's fun Reply to this Post

Maybe this will sound stupid . . .

maybe shoppekeepers who traffic in raw materials should start assuming 20% of a shipment will be lost and price everything accordingly. Right now, a lot of the frustration with trading is that we think we're going to make it all the way there unboarded. What if it was <gulp> ok to be boarded once or even twice on a long trip, because you budgeted for it?

Note I haven't done this yet. But it's starting to sound reasonable, and if I profit by evading MOST of the time instead of ALL of the time . . . maybe I won't care so much? Plus I still have a chance to beat my attackers?
[Jul 28, 2003 1:23:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

upping prices Reply to this Post

Actually, I've been wondering about that for a while, but, realistically, I am extremely rarely attacked by players, and both players and brigands are pretty easy to evade, so I wasn't encouraged to increase prices (as a consumer) or ask for them to be increased (as a trader). And as a pillager, I want to see prices as low as possible...*smile*...
----------------------------------------
[Jul 28, 2003 1:55:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Soma

maybe our standards are a bit different.. Reply to this Post

I feel bad if I can't hand over a solid 3-500 poe after an hour's trip; 150 might satisfy for a players first run, but I have trouble believing that any would stay happy with that for long.. not trying to start anything, but that just seems rather meager.
Soma
Castaway of Alpha
Survivor of Old Spice & Nyx's Scions
Officer of Black Death
[Jul 28, 2003 3:29:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

Re: maybe our standards are a bit different.. Reply to this Post

Soma wrote: 
I feel bad if I can't hand over a solid 3-500 poe after an hour's trip; 150 might satisfy for a players first run, but I have trouble believing that any would stay happy with that for long.. not trying to start anything, but that just seems rather meager.

Aye, perhaps that's why I feel pillage is not sufficiently profitable. Those numbers are in line with what I expect from a decent hour's pillage.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shockedfrog

Except for a few good runs with 300+ poe shares, the majority of pillaging runs I job with pay a lot less than simply having several swordfight wagers for 50/100 poe a piece on the alpha docks. And at the moment, wagering is the only way that pvp and profitable will go together :)
[Jul 28, 2003 6:42:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

some data on pillaging Reply to this Post

Okay, data from pillaging yesterday and the day before. Yesterday, in an hour, we had five encounters; lost the first one, won the rest. Lost 2 units of rum and one of shot to the pillaging, spent 5 rum for the trip, used no shot. I ended up with about 650 pieces of eight between my cut and the crew cut, everyone else got 550 or so. A good day.

The day before was very different. Same route, but we had trouble getting brigands to fight at all. After an hour, we had had two encounters, which we lost (despite, in one case, having given the other ship quite a bit of damage, and they were aqua to begin with). Continuing to sail, we had two more, which we won (one against the same other ship, but with no damage). Between the loss of goods and the cost of shot and rum, I came out negative for the trip.

The difference? Last night, I sailed with four other seasoned crew members. The day before, it was me and a seasoned crew member, two swabbies, and a junior Pirate.

So, I think the problem is not so much in the pillage amounts (though they are sometimes disappointing) or in the rum shortage (though at least once I haven't been able to go out 'cause me orders weren't ready and there was no rum for sale, and I wasn't sure there was enough in the ship to survive any losses). The problem is in the fact that sometimes I still sail for a very long time without finding anything that isn't dark blue or red. The next day, the same route is a nice tasty one, with plenty of action. Obviously, part of this is the change in personnel, which will change the relative color of the same ships. I don't have enough data to say for sure yet, but it starts to seem as if "semi-soloing" might be the problem. Plus the apparent inconsistency.

For contrast, I also jobbed for the navy for an hour, coming out with a nice reliable 246 for an hour's jobbing. If ye average the two hours pillaging, the good and the bad, it's only slightly better than navy jobbing, and not much more exciting when the greenish brigands are hidin' out.

The navy jobbing was very relaxing, I would just get into me carpentin' trance and go on for leagues. This is kind of how I had previously envisioned working at a shoppe on land - no drama, no interruptions, ye just do the job for as long as ye feel like and are rewarded with money and standing. Talkin' with Frederico last night this came up - what would ye all say to makin' the shipwright crafting puzzle be carpentry? I know not everyone loves it like I do, but once Navy vessels are more active in battle (if they are), it would be just the job that those of us who love carpentry would take, in order to have, say, a half-hour of uninterrupted carpentry puzzling.
[Jul 29, 2003 8:30:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Carping in the Shipwright Reply to this Post

Carp in the shipwright sounds good.

I am also keen on just enabling the generic crafting puzzle so it does something and we can get the expert/basic distinction rolling. More shoppes first, though.

(edit: Tailoring -> Generic Crafting)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Cleaver at Jul 29, 2003 9:41:34 AM]
[Jul 29, 2003 9:41:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

Just wanted to second the carp-for-shipwright idea. Has this already been posted over in the Job Puzzles thread?
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Jul 29, 2003 9:59:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Teirlap

Speaking of the eventual activation of Crafting puzzles...

The Documentation wrote: 
In a future release, we will provide the ability for a laboring pirate to see the fruits of their labor more immediately by "using up" up to one day in advance worth of labor as they deftly perform the associated labor puzzle. For example, if a pirate works at a tailor shoppe that has a rapid influx of orders, the owner of the shoppe could request that her staff all come and perform their laboring duties online and while they all play their crafting puzzle, every five minutes, an hour of labor is generated and applied toward the pending orders. They can advance on up to one day's worth of labor, in the process seeing the satisfaction of the customers who received their orders early due to their diligent efforts. A pirate can, of course, continue to play the labor puzzles as long as they like, they will simply not generate any additional labor until 24 hours has elapsed and they are caught up on their advance.

I'm a bit wary of this... If all of a Shoppe's 15 (or however many) employees worked hard in the Shoppe for about an hour or so and advanced all 24 hours of their Labor, wouldn't the Shoppe be OUT of Labor for the next day or so, thus screwing over anyone else who stops by and places an order after the 'work party' has finished?

If that's so, perhaps make it so every player can 'create' an additional 24 hours of Labor each day by working in the Shoppe, giving each employee the ability to provide anywhere from 24 to 48 hours of Labor daily. In this way, not only are players more attached to their jobs and motivated to come in to work for a little while every day (they would get paid more for providing some of those extra 24 hours), but a Shoppe Manager can be more picky about their limited # of employees, choosing those ones who seem to be providing more hours of Labor above their standard 24.
Frederico del Mar, President of the Emerald Company
'Merchants and accountants by profession, the Company's men lived by the ledger and ruled with the quill.'
~ John Keay, The Honourable Company
[Jul 29, 2003 10:02:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Teirlap

Oh, si, that business about Carpentry becoming Shipwrightery reminded me...

How about a very basic classic Tetris-like puzzle for Weavery? I figure creating lines is somewhat similar to how looming works, so...
Frederico del Mar, President of the Emerald Company
'Merchants and accountants by profession, the Company's men lived by the ledger and ruled with the quill.'
~ John Keay, The Honourable Company
[Jul 29, 2003 10:06:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Garthor

My idea for a weavery or tailoring puzzle is like this: There is a big ring, similar to the Navigation puzzle, only there is a single ring. On the ring is a target (I don't know what this will be). Behind the ring will be a ghost of the pattern you are trying to make. A thread will drop down from the top of the ring, and head for the target, creating a line. This will be rather quick. Then, the next section of thread will start at where the target is, and move to where you move the target is. The goal will be to complete various patterns without wasting thread. If the section of thread you drop is in the wrong position, you will lose a good deal of performance, and the thread will be retracted back to where it was. Simple patterns would start out as something like a star, but the more advanced patterns would have branches of 4 or more from each point, making it a challenge to figure out the optimal method for dropping the thread into the pattern.
Cleaver wrote: 
I've never been logged on, let alone on a ship.

[Jul 29, 2003 10:14:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Akmed

Hrmm...maybe a PvP game off the sea. A team swordfighting game. But with an ante like the drinking game.
[Jul 29, 2003 2:06:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    krackerboyz [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 42   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates