• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 15
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3830 times and has 14 replies Next Thread
Deborah

[Event Redux] How to improve the Woolly event Reply to this Post

I loved hosting this event, the entries were amazing. The skill and quality (and variety!) blew me away.

But, I know there are things I could do better if I host this type of event in future.

Any suggestions??

--m3
----------------------------------------
Hermes says, "At any rate, I'm afraid I'll have to cede to your blockade, ladies. Business calls."
Madmarymeade says, "I think this means Rexe-Mary 2, OMs 0?"
Hermes says, "We go down easily."
[May 24, 2008 12:31:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Re: [Event Redux] How to improve the Woolly event Reply to this Post

As was pointed out in the event thread, I think that familiars for all is the only sensible solution. If only I could persuade my employers to allow me to be sensible... *sigh*
[May 24, 2008 9:13:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Knowledge13

*Maybe have it as an all year long event(but the again...)

*More variaty of prizes maybe.

I had a great idea in mind, but I forgot it. <.<

/e trys to remember... (I'll post it here if I do)
Know of the Hunter Ocean.
[May 24, 2008 9:55:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BlackBeth

I think I would suggest lengthening the entry period, maybe to 6 weeks instead of 4. Making all those stitches takes a LOT of time.

It was fine this time around; I considered time management and planning a project that could be completed in the given time to be a part of the event. But I sure would have loved to be able to make a more detailed entry, and use finer stitches (which I knew I couldn't do if I wanted to actually finish). Maybe next time...

-- Fey
Feylind

Semi-retired Midnight Cerulean Event Addict
[May 24, 2008 8:00:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeythePirate [Link]  Go to top 
ellopoppet

Time was a massive issue for me as well. I'd love to see it run again with a different theme.
~Athens~ Hunter

Want to know who makes my avatars?
[May 24, 2008 8:03:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

I would definately love to see this run again. I didnt see anything I would consider glaring issues.

Three suggestions I have for if you do run it again:

1. Longer deadline

2. Open up the size requirement to allow bigger pictures.

3. Possibly do a pre-post on the event to allow a bit of extra time for people to get some of their supplies. Include enough information for people to have a general idea on what supplies they will need but not enough that they could actually start. The 'coming up with an idea, drawing it out, getting supplies' part could easily take a week on its own.

Edit: Actually, on second thought, I do have one way I think it should be changed - I wouldnt allow people to glue down their string - its much faster, easier, and against the original spirit of the event.
Taco - teh one and only

Deer season hell, I'm waiting for stupid season to open.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Shandra at May 26, 2008 7:12:52 AM]
[May 26, 2008 6:56:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fizz

3. Possibly do a pre-post on the event to allow a bit of extra time for people to get some of their supplies. Include enough information for people to have a general idea on what supplies they will need but not enough that they could actually start. The 'coming up with an idea, drawing it out, getting supplies' part could easily take a week on its own.

Yes. This would be the biggest reason I didn't participate. I had mind block on what to do and didn't get a sketch done before I would have had enough time to stitch. (And gathering of supplies as well.)
Fizz -- RETIRED Senior Officer of Phoenix Warriors, Lady of Tyrs Own
[May 26, 2008 7:07:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Deborah

One reason I allowed gluing was that I was concerned that making it sew-only would severely limit the # of participants, which in turn would prevent the awarding of a familiar. I believe that only 2 or 3 entries out of the 34 actually used gluing (2 were entirely glued, and 1 used gluing and stitching, IIRC).

I definitely think increasing the time is a good idea, but I was concerned that people would forget or delay if given 6 weeks, and ultimately not be able to finish a project in time.

Thanks for your suggestions, please keep them coming!

--m3
Hermes says, "At any rate, I'm afraid I'll have to cede to your blockade, ladies. Business calls."
Madmarymeade says, "I think this means Rexe-Mary 2, OMs 0?"
Hermes says, "We go down easily."
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Deborah at May 26, 2008 12:41:01 PM]
[May 26, 2008 12:40:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

There was one instruction I would've deleted - the reference to "--final product looks similar to a traditional "woolly" as per the examples given, regarding both content and texture." suggested to me that replication of historical type woollies, which were quite 'serious' I guess I would say - was a desired contest goal, but from the prize-winning entries I'm not sure that came out in the end.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[May 26, 2008 12:44:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ellopoppet

There was one instruction I would've deleted - the reference to "--final product looks similar to a "woolly" as per the examples given, regarding both content and texture." suggested to me that replication of historical type woollies, which were quite 'serious' I guess I would say - was a desired contest goal, but from the prize-winning entries I'm not sure that came out in the end.

Agreed, I was a little shocked when I saw the winning woolly, don't get me wrong it was amazing but I thought 2nd should have won because it was much closer to a true woolly. Looking back I must have not read the rules right,
~Athens~ Hunter

Want to know who makes my avatars?
[May 26, 2008 8:21:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Teuts

Agreed, I was a little shocked when I saw the winning woolly, don't get me wrong it was amazing but I thought 2nd should have won because it was much closer to a true woolly. Looking back I must have not read the rules right,

The "traditional woolly" and the "variety of stitches" criteria might have been a bit at odds. It just gave me the impression that the judges could choose on either at the end, rather than the contestants having to try to do both.

For the next event everyone will be able to see the woollies that were made this time. I think that will help people design, find materials and plan their time better.
Teuts on Viridian
Compulsive Event Enterer
Rabbitfish development
Avatar by Foilbeard (andman). Won in "Crabs, puffers, jellies, oh my!" competition.
[May 27, 2008 2:11:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~jteu004/ [Link]  Go to top 
Zandia

One thing I would like changed is the size requirement. I don't think the minimum dimensions matter as much as the minimum area matters. Why should an 8x8 inch (64 sq. in.) entry be valid, while a 7x9.25 inch (64.75 sq. in.) entry be disqualified?

Edit: This also applies to shapes...a 64 sq. in. circle, trapezoid, rhombus, etc should also be acceptable even thought they wouldn't necessarily fit the 8x8 dimensions.
Teh Eighth
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Zandia at May 27, 2008 8:02:26 PM]
[May 27, 2008 7:52:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
L_J

There was one instruction I would've deleted - the reference to "--final product looks similar to a traditional "woolly" as per the examples given, regarding both content and texture." suggested to me that replication of historical type woollies, which were quite 'serious' I guess I would say - was a desired contest goal, but from the prize-winning entries I'm not sure that came out in the end.

I was also very shocked by this. While great work, I thought many of the entires would be disqualified as they looked nothing like a traditional woolly.
Lj
Captain of White Rose
Royal of Blood and Roses
Midnight Ocean
[May 29, 2008 12:17:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

I was also very shocked by this. While great work, I thought many of the entires would be disqualified as they looked nothing like a traditional woolly.

In retrospect I have to agree with this.
Taco - teh one and only

Deer season hell, I'm waiting for stupid season to open.
[May 31, 2008 1:38:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ocelotspot

I wasn't able to participate in the event the first time due to real life. So, I just did a woolie for GH'08. The 6 week time frame there was perfect. I don't think I would have been able to finish in 4 weeks, although I did do a fairly large entry.
Sallymae of Meridian
[Jul 20, 2008 11:03:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates