• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 15
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3112 times and has 14 replies Next Thread
garf

should gun damage be repairable during sea battles? Reply to this Post

right now, it isnt.. yesterday, we carped up until no damage was visible in a sea battle after taking a shot, and the black pieces still were there.

i can see there might be problems with people just running for a long time after getting hit to get the damage fixed, but then, this could lead to more real hunts in pvp.
----------------------------------------
- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others
[Jul 26, 2003 10:32:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
jfjnpxmy

Re: should gun damage be repairable during sea battles? Reply to this Post

Wood and nails aren't going to help you when you've been knocked for six by an explosion.
[Jul 26, 2003 10:50:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jfjnpxmy [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Cannonballs aren't explosive.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Jul 27, 2003 12:36:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jfjnpxmy

Gotagota wrote: 
Cannonballs aren't explosive.

Then how come in Sea Battles there's a little explosion thingy when they hit?
[Jul 27, 2003 2:59:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jfjnpxmy [Link]  Go to top 
Garthor

It's a visual indicator. And possibly wood shattering.
Cleaver wrote: 
I've never been logged on, let alone on a ship.

[Jul 27, 2003 3:08:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

I don't recommend doing the experiment at all. Reply to this Post

For a very visceral example of why you might think you see an explosion, try throwing a bowling ball at a sheet of drywall.* Notice that cloud of dust and debris thrown outward by the impact of the ball? Same thing.

The red you think you see at the interior of the "explosion" is just your superkeen ninja eyesight detecting the miniscule infrared radiation generated by the friction of the impact. I think that upgrade came with version 2 of your username.

*- [size=9]For the love of sweet merciful heavenly carp, please don't try this inside your home! First off, patching holes in drywall is annoying. Second, that dust gets everywhere. Third, the spackle you'll use in the process of patching the hole also creates an inordinate amount of dust and it's really a pain in the aft. Lastly, yer parent's'll kill ye. If you must try my experiment, go buy a piece of drywall, mount it in some parking lot or playground or something, and do it there, so you don't have to clean up. Plus, nobody you know will get hurt, should anything go wrong. har, har, har!
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Jul 27, 2003 5:50:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

garf wrote: 
right now, it isnt.. yesterday, we carped up until no damage was visible in a sea battle after taking a shot, and the black pieces still were there.

Correct. Carping will fix your ship but it won't fix the Cook's leg.
[Jul 27, 2003 10:01:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
garf

is there a reason it doesnt other than avoiding a "whenever ye take a hit, run until its fixed" strategy? because i think there would be other solutions for this problem, such as allowing more significiant movement hinderance fer cannon damage.
- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others
[Jul 27, 2003 10:44:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
LonesomeCrow

Cleaver wrote: 
garf wrote: 

Correct. Carping will fix your ship but it won't fix the Cook's leg.

How 'bout when ye run into rocks? Certainly this doesn't affect yer cook's (or anybody else's) leg.

I'm not even sure... does damage from hitting rocks appear in the sword fight puzzle? Seems to me it does, if so, this damage should be repairable to the point where it won't affect the sword fight (during sea battle phase).

Can anyone clear this up? I'm usually too busy frantically loading cannons and such to pay close attention to this.
Tarrna: [Insignificant] Senior Officer - Sinking Feelings

Sergio Aragones wrote: 

[Jul 27, 2003 11:34:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Rocks Reply to this Post

Rock damage does affect the swordfight. Yes, those broken planks happened to fly in and clap the cook around the head.
[Jul 28, 2003 3:15:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

Re: Rocks Reply to this Post

Cleaver wrote: 
Rock damage does affect the swordfight. Yes, those broken planks happened to fly in and clap the cook around the head.

Or perhaps the cook scalded himself in the galley when he was thrown about due to the impact with the rocks.
[Jul 28, 2003 3:21:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cedric

I don't think it should be fixable, since the grey blocks isn't ship damage, its damage to yer person. Holes in the ship wouldnt really affect the swordfight, but a cannonball to the head, or being slammed against the deck when hitting a rock would.

The only thing it would cause is people running to repair, and that would be boring.
Captain of the Yellow Jackets (Midnight)
Not to be taken internally (or seriously)
May cause rash
[Jul 28, 2003 3:53:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Maverick1701 [Link]  Go to top 
saynata

This is a bit of an obscure suggestion, and a wee bit off topic, but I've thrown this around in my mind for a little bit-To mix up the carpentry puzzle a little bit in sea battle, or when there's damage, and add another aspect of skill to it, does it line up with the logic of the penta-puzzle to have 'shards' of wood to use? I /think/ that the puzzle can stand to have 1, 2, 3, and 4 unit pieces that can be used to add a little bit of oddity to the puzzle.

Addendum:
- Fronsac, you are a strange and beautiful person.
- Cleaver, you still make the best sashimi, but I do begin to wonder how often you've been whacked about the head with a random plank.
[size=9] Saynata, Captain and Supreme So-and-So of The Sirens; Former Mistress of the ol' Sew 'n' Sew.
[Jul 28, 2003 7:46:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

I think the solution to this is all is to keep the cook carefully wrapped in pillows for the duration of the voyage.

Saynata, from a player who very much loves his carpentry puzzle, I would think the fragmented pieces would destroy its elegance. It would exponentially increase the frustration factor because it would mean you would have far more pieces to sift through to get the ones you want and you would have to come up with viable composite pieces to those chunks. That's a lot of pieces and a lot of sifting.

Also, it would mean that your carpentry rating was dependent on factors beyond your control.... also very not good.

-Nemo
[Jul 28, 2003 9:16:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saynata

Nemo wrote: 
I think the solution to this is all is to keep the cook carefully wrapped in pillows for the duration of the voyage.

Saynata, from a player who very much loves his carpentry puzzle, I would think the fragmented pieces would destroy its elegance. It would exponentially increase the frustration factor because it would mean you would have far more pieces to sift through to get the ones you want and you would have to come up with viable composite pieces to those chunks. That's a lot of pieces and a lot of sifting.

Also, it would mean that your carpentry rating was dependent on factors beyond your control.... also very not good.

-Nemo

Don't get me wrong, Nemo, I think that the Carpentry puzzle is beautiful, and I'm very much enamored with it, but as people were asking for a reason to fix the boat while in battle, I figured I'd toss that in just because it would be clumsy and difficult, and a bit out of control. I understand what you mean, though.

And IMO, sometimes puzzles are beyond control. Adds a little bit of frustration, but it makes you strive to improve.
[size=9] Saynata, Captain and Supreme So-and-So of The Sirens; Former Mistress of the ol' Sew 'n' Sew.
[Jul 28, 2003 11:11:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates