• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 13
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3934 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
loftling

Bank transfers Reply to this Post

This is mainly a question aimed at officers, but also regular pirates who regularly have the opportunity to go between two islands on their crew's boat.

Do you transfer the money and pay the 3% fee, or do you take it out and risk it on the high seas but hope for the chance that you'll be able to bring it all over?

Side question: if you could transfer money between archipelagos, how high would the transfer fee have to be before you wouldn't use it?
[Aug 6, 2003 2:22:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

add another option? Reply to this Post

I kind of need another option - I do both, with similar frequency. It has a lot more to do with convenience and time than the fees (at this point).

Example 1: I'm up on Turtle to do some skelly fightin' and I'm low in funds at the bank there. I'll just transfer some, 'cause I want it NOW, and 3% isn't so bad.

Example 2: I'm plannin' to buy some wood at Spring, settin' out from Guava. I always go through Epsilon, but I don't necessarily stop. I figure I've got a good chance of gettin' all the way to Spring without losin' more than one battle. I bring the money from Guava rather than pickin' it up at Epsilon, savin' meself time and possibly the 3% (depending on how well I do when intercepted between Guava and Epsilon).

Example 3: I want to move money from Guava to Cnossos to buy stone. I use a ship, as there are no brigands and it's a quick trip. Shipping the money is the best value.

As far as maximum fees, it depends. I'm assuming that most commonly I lose about one battle on any non-pillagin' trip, so if the fee is less than 10% and the trip is longish, then the fee is a safer bet, and less time-and-rum-consuming. If I'm already movin' the ship anyway, I'll most often take the money with me, and the higher the fee, the more likely I'll ship the money and take me chances in the sea battle. If the fee were above 20%, I would always ship it unless I was in a huge hurry for the cash (1000 iron just appeared and I can sell it for double what I pay for it, for example).
----------------------------------------
[Aug 6, 2003 2:45:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Re: Bank transfers Reply to this Post

I'm no math whiz, but you should also figure that if the contact points for the two archipelagos both have banks, it costs 3% to get it to the contact point, and 3% of a lower sum to go from the second contact point to the bank of choice, with a less-brigandy trip with your money between archipelagos . . . one short lower-risk trip makes it cost slightly less than 6%.

Having the flat fee as 10% or 15% might be ok for those in a hurry, as Rifkind indicated, but once colonization is up to us and not Ringers, you can bet there will be banks at the contact points (I don't think Cnossos has one now, does it?).
[Aug 6, 2003 3:03:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

If I'm short of time, carrying the money isn't an option at all...if I don't have an hour or more free then I can't rely on getting from one island to another without having to log, because of the number of intercepts these days.

If you want to buy something from a shoppe or market, by the time you sail money there it'll often be gone; especially if your ship isn't already at the island on which you have your money.

If you just want to move it from one island to another, it depends on length of trip, and whether you have a ship there or not. Moving my money from Alpha to Epsilon isn't going to happen any time soon though!
[Aug 6, 2003 3:27:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hanzii

I'm like Shadow.
Allthough being a shopowner slowly stopped me being a casual player, I still try not to spend a lot of time on menial tasks.
Luckily I have a product that helps in that regard. A lot of players have moved to Emerald, but still need ships from Turtle (competition is something new). - I merely build the ship and sells the deed over there instead, that way getting my share of the poe others have moved.
I've never transfered poe.

Deeds are good.
Hanzii - shipbuilder (retired), Turtle
[Aug 6, 2003 3:49:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.lauring.net [Link]  Go to top 
Rengor

Actually I haven't done a single bank transfer yet. But then I have my money spread out fairly nicely.
I've probably moved around 300k by ship so far some mine and some for our colonization of Guava. No problems so far.

But considering the million new pirates asking for moving money between archipelagos it would probably be a good idea with interarchipelago transfers.

As for fee. I thought it was up to bankers to decide the fee based on how high they value the risk of transporting it around? That way you encourage competition among banks.
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[Aug 6, 2003 3:53:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akebia

Rengor wrote: 
That way you encourage competition among banks.

Competition among banks? How would two (or more) banks on one island interact with the auto-whisking/auto-banking rules?
[Aug 6, 2003 5:26:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
oconp88

Bank transfer fees Reply to this Post

It seems like maybe not every bank should be able to do interarchipeligo transfers. Similar to a regular shop, depending on laborers or bank upgrades you could have "central banks" who could transfer money anywhere to regional banks who can transfer inside the archipeligo or only to adjacent archipeligos (once the ocean is much larger), all the way to little outpost banks who could only transfer money inside the archipeligo or not transfer at all and just be a place to stash your cash.

I think that this would be an additional cash sink for banks and would make the transfer of cash a little more difficult then having access to all cash at all times.
[Aug 6, 2003 7:15:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

I have an Idea...
I like some of what I have heard, I think any Bank should be able to tranfer within thier Arch, and to any Bank ownd by the Same Flag.
Here's the idea, If I am under Flag A and you are Under Flag B, we could tranfer to and from each other only inside our Arch. If you and I are in different Archs then we can not Transfer. End of Storie. However, if I am in Flag A and you are in Flag A then we can transfer to and from each other, no matter where our banks our.

This would be just like a National Bank system.
And one other thing, about the Tranfer Rate....
I think the Bank Manager should have control on that just like they have control on the Withdraw Fee.
And yes there should be a Max Limit, like 10 or 15%.
[Aug 6, 2003 9:07:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

One more thing...

The transfer rate inside and outside of the Arch should be able to be set independently.
[Aug 6, 2003 9:11:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
loftling

Transfers Reply to this Post

I didn't intend for this thread to become a retread of the whole banking transfer discussion. To sum up what has been decided:

1) In the future, we will have a real bank transfer system whereby the bank managers must weigh the risk of bankrolling the transfers against the expected profits from the fee.

2) But that requires a bunch of code to be written. It's rather complicated and will only ever be seen by bank managers, and there are very few of those, so for now we just have the flat-rate "magical" transfer system.

I'll not go into #1 much right now, but it will be very cool and should actually drastically lower the cost of most transfers.

Akebia, to answer your question, it's likely that the governor will be able to give preferential status to one bank and the money will be automatically banked there when you whisk out. It'd be nice if each pirate could set their own preferred bank, but there's no way we're keeping a record of preferred bank for each island for each user. Fiasco. As to why another bank would ever want to be on the same island as a preferred bank: transfers. When we have the real transfers (oh no, I'm elaborating on #1 now) any bank can be in the business of providing bank transfers, even between two competing banks.
[Aug 6, 2003 10:00:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

I transfer bits of money when I need to buy a map from emperor to spring (then grumble at the extraordinary 2 poe charge for deposit/withdraw) But I don't like moving massive amounts of moeny, I'd rather do it myself at this point... token creation is good and I can outmanoever brigands 90% of the time.

What you should do, is change the % rate to different idlands depending on the route difficulty... so from alpha to bryne would cost you more (if there were a bank there) than the transfer from alpha to oyster (or whatever an easy route is)
--Ursela, Captain of the Dastards
... and a few others ...
[Aug 7, 2003 10:14:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
loftling

hard route transfers Reply to this Post

Meghaford wrote: 

What you should do, is change the % rate to different idlands depending on the route difficulty... so from alpha to bryne would cost you more (if there were a bank there) than the transfer from alpha to oyster (or whatever an easy route is)

When we have the player-run bank transfer system (far, far in the future) then this will naturally happen.
[Aug 7, 2003 11:26:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates