• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 327
Posts: 327   Pages: 11   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 73424 times and has 326 replies Next Thread
dcyborg

Re: Design Easter Eggs for the game! Deadline 10th March. Reply to this Post

hehehe, I am so eggcited to do this again.. I did not even submit some of my best ideas last year! =)

Sweet! Now if i can remember where I placed that file of designs I will be grade A~!
----------------------------------------
Dcyborg on Cerulean, Jade, Opal.. etc etc
[Feb 23, 2007 1:42:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    dorothycyborg [Link]  Go to top 
Sprtn_117

YAY! i missed this last year, and i just entered 4 entrys now, hopefully yall like em.
Cptnosdn On Cerulean
I Want To Own A Giant Fleet Of Longships...
[Feb 23, 2007 5:03:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
countrydiva

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n319/CountryRoxs/Checkers.jpg
Very hard to make I made a heart on the left bottom corner ;)
Arrr I will hunt and haunt you down!!
[Feb 24, 2007 9:46:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    countrydivatigers [Link]  Go to top 
poop_poop

Heres my egg design...
Squallydolly
On Hunter
[Feb 24, 2007 10:10:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
poop_poop

A white chocolate egg with magnificent milk chocolate swirl with a creamy caramel center...
Squallydolly
On Hunter
[Feb 24, 2007 10:19:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

Mates, egg designs need to go to the entry thread.
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=58387
If you're looking for a test render, check out this thread, and remember to ask nicely:
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=58453
Silveransom
makes art like this or this &
Blender Eggs!
[Feb 24, 2007 10:39:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
jdnx429

I'm totally entering this one....I have a few ideas...:P
Josephdaniel on Midnight.
[Feb 24, 2007 11:47:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sardtok

Can anyone export the max scene to a different format?
Either a simple .obj (yeah, I know, it's only the model)...
Thing is, max is a proprietary format, thus Autodesk has basically not allowed other software developers to use it, unless paying a huge license fee of some kind...
Which is why there are no free converters, like for instance max2obj(no it does not exist, there are two converters or so out there, but they cost almost as much as a decent 3d package)...
[Feb 24, 2007 1:47:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sardtok

Uhm, for some reason I don't have privileges to edit my own post,
yeah, if not a .obj maybe a 3ds or something similar...
Or if you know of a scene format that keeps all the data which should be possible to open in most 3d packages, then that would be nice...
[Feb 24, 2007 1:51:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

I know no one here is in charge of the art department, but I'd like an official answer on whether semitransparent eggshells are allowed. According to those who have 3DSMax, the Illustrate! plugin ignores the transparency in my Ghost Rhegg skins. However, there were plenty of see-through pirates just last Halloween. Would a true transparent egg be impossible?
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Feb 24, 2007 2:42:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
SeaLassey

Are easter eggs rare throughout the game?

This looks like fun!
ERG! I'm a pirate!!!!
[Feb 24, 2007 4:16:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
toolz91

i hope mine worked its cool

title is egg

Toolz-Hunter ocean
Fleet officer of The Mystery Fleet
Lord of Requited Desires
[Feb 24, 2007 4:39:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

I know no one here is in charge of the art department, but I'd like an official answer on whether semitransparent eggshells are allowed. According to those who have 3DSMax, the Illustrate! plugin ignores the transparency in my Ghost Rhegg skins. However, there were plenty of see-through pirates just last Halloween. Would a true transparent egg be impossible?

Rhodin, my suspicion on the transparent pirates is that they were rendered as solid objects, and the whole graphic was made semi-transparent. That's why we didn't see the backside of our pirates' heads. You're looking for the egg to be "self-transparent" or internally transparent in addition to being transparent with regards to the scene. That sort of internal transparency is what the Illustrate! plugin ignores. It's a relatively simple matter to render the egg as solid then display that render as semi-transparent.

...but if we can get semi-transparent eggshells like you're thinking, that would be very impressive, and would open some new avenues to creativity. I would love to do a crystalline egg, myself...

/e is just theorizing...
Silveransom
Blender Eggs!
[Feb 24, 2007 4:53:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

I don't think they're going to create semi-transparent egshells for ye, I'm afraid.
[Feb 24, 2007 7:39:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Cooldragon23

I have a question about 3ds... it's my first time using it, so dont yell at me if its a simple fix.

Well, I folowed the rendering guide step-by-step, but when I press render, I get this message

Output path: C:\Documents and Settings\Jon Demos\Desktop\yoart2\JonDemos\objects\chest_small\renders does not exist -- aborting render

Anyone know how to fix that?
Cooldragon on Sage Ocean

Arora says, "would sume1 please give me poez to help my sister and I buy an estate?

[Feb 25, 2007 7:52:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SilveRansom

I have a question about 3ds... it's my first time using it, so dont yell at me if its a simple fix.

Well, I folowed the rendering guide step-by-step, but when I press render, I get this message

Output path: C:\Documents and Settings\Jon Demos\Desktop\yoart2\JonDemos\objects\chest_small\renders does not exist -- aborting render

In the rendering options (F10), look for a place where it's looking to render to a file. Either change that file location to something on your computer, or just turn the option to render to a file off (it's a checkbox, I believe). It'll render to a window then, and you can save it from there.
Silveransom
Blender Eggs!
[Feb 25, 2007 8:12:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s13.invisionfree.com/Peregrine_Design/ [Link]  Go to top 
Cooldragon23

In the rendering options (F10), look for a place where it's looking to render to a file. Either change that file location to something on your computer, or just turn the option to render to a file off (it's a checkbox, I believe). It'll render to a window then, and you can save it from there.

Uh... in english please? I didn't understand a word you said... im just gonna mess around with the rendering options though and hope I do somtehing right...
Cooldragon on Sage Ocean

Arora says, "would sume1 please give me poez to help my sister and I buy an estate?

[Feb 25, 2007 8:43:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cooldragon23

Uh... in english please? I didn't understand a word you said... im just gonna mess around with the rendering options though and hope I do somtehing right...

Uh I got it to show the render screen thing, but it only shows a black box. Anyone know why?
Cooldragon on Sage Ocean

[Feb 25, 2007 8:48:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
vixyish

By default, it's set to save to a file with a specific file name. I don't know why that's in there, but it is. (Leftover from whoever made the mesh egg template.) But that file doesn't exist on your computer, so when it can't find it, it gives up.

In the same screen as where you click the "render" button, BEFORE you click that, somewhere there is a checkbox next to the word "Save". (You may have to scroll down some by grabbing the whole menu box and dragging.) Just uncheck that, if you are okay with not saving the rendered egg. This is what I did, since I'm just rendering to see what it looks like.

If you are dying to save it, there is a box next to the word "save" with a path and filename. I imagine you can browse to wherever you want to save it on your computer.
-- Vixyfish on Cerulean
[Feb 25, 2007 10:34:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.vixyandtony.com [Link]  Go to top 
vixyish

Uh I got it to show the render screen thing, but it only shows a black box. Anyone know why?

Yup! You need a plug-in, as described here...

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=569011#569011

BUT, hold on, you need to get the beta version, because the old plug-ins don't work with the latest version of the program; find out about that here:

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=58386&offset=20#966533

It's kind of a pain in the ass-- you have to email the developer and he emails you back with an activation code-- but I found it was worth it to be able to render my own eggs to test them, as I can make little changes and keep rendering it over and over and over to see how each little change comes out.
-- Vixyfish on Cerulean
[Feb 25, 2007 10:41:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.vixyandtony.com [Link]  Go to top 
vixyish

Most noble and wonderful Apollo... I have a question. I hope it's not a stupid one.

I notice in test rendering mine (and in viewing last year's winners) that in the actual rendering, only about 1/3 of the design actually shows. And it is not always the very center 1/3. (This is most obvious on the ones with faces; if you compare egg to design file, a space of only about eyepatch-to-earring is shown.)

So my question is this: for the purposes of judging, when whoever does the judging is rendering them, will they rotate the egg to its best advantage before they make their decision? Do they see the pre-rendered squares, so that it's obvious what elements are the most important to be seen (like faces)?

When I discovered the 1/3 thing, I changed my design so that the key elements I'd like to be seen are all within that slice... but when I do my test renders, they don't always appear in the center. I have to fiddle around with the rotation a bit to get the best view. I have a design that isn't just tiled and repeating, and I happen to think it's really cute... and I'd hate for it to miss an opportunity because its best face wasn't seen! :/

Reassure a girl, if you can?
-- Vixyfish on Cerulean
[Feb 25, 2007 10:49:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.vixyandtony.com [Link]  Go to top 
vixyish

OH! And I wanted to say a huge THANK YOU to those who posted the information on getting 3Dmax, the egg file, and the plug-ins all to work. It was a bit of a pain but it's so very very worth it.

I was up 'til 2am last night because I was having a BALL making little changes and rendering them to see how they came out. This is a hoot!

Thank you again! :)
-- Vixyfish on Cerulean
[Feb 25, 2007 10:51:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.vixyandtony.com [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

So my question is this: for the purposes of judging, when whoever does the judging is rendering them, will they rotate the egg to its best advantage before they make their decision? Do they see the pre-rendered squares, so that it's obvious what elements are the most important to be seen (like faces)?

If there are critical elements, such as faces, then optimize the position using the camera angle and resolution suggested here. Otherwise, though, you should be aiming for all-round goodness, including seamless joins, as the final angle could be different for the different eggs.

Last year's winners are here.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Apollo at Feb 25, 2007 11:14:21 AM]
[Feb 25, 2007 11:13:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
da_ripper

If there are critical elements, such as faces, then optimize the position using the camera angle and resolution suggested here. Otherwise, though, you should be aiming for all-round goodness, including seamless joins, as the final angle could be different for the different eggs.

Last year's winners are here.

/e clicks the link

/e sees this popup

The requested page title was invalid, empty, or an incorrectly linked inter-language or inter-wiki title. It may contain one more characters which cannot be used in titles.

Return to Main Page.

Retrieved from "http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Bad_title"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Silly Apollo :).

Game over. Winner: Expel.
Antix says, "Expel just pikachu'd the charizard out of him"
Antix says, "Nice one"
Expel says, "Super effective"

Chimeravirus of Viridian.
[Feb 25, 2007 11:15:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

It's working for me - is anyone else getting the same?
[Feb 25, 2007 11:16:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
vixyish

Link works for me. Thanks muchly, Apollo. :)

(I'd post my design now but I don't wanna spoil the surprise... I wanna get it juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust right first.) :)
-- Vixyfish on Cerulean
[Feb 25, 2007 11:27:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.vixyandtony.com [Link]  Go to top 
da_ripper

Er... Now it works XD.

Silly me =d.

Game over. Winner: Expel.
Antix says, "Expel just pikachu'd the charizard out of him"
Antix says, "Nice one"
Expel says, "Super effective"

Chimeravirus of Viridian.
[Feb 25, 2007 11:27:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
vixyish

Hrm. Here's the problem. The instructions say this:

Edit^2: Wheee...got the directions from Nemo. For those of you also playing with 3DS Max, just use the camera angle and render at 640x480.

But when I follow those instructions exactly, without changing ANYTHING, I don't get what SilveRansom appears to be getting for an output, that egg nicely tilted slightly, and with the center of the design in the center.

In fact I get an egg that is shown SIDEWAYS, and viewed largely from the TOP.

In other words, the default camera angle in that egg mesh file that's available for download is obviously NOT the angle that's going to be used. Which means if I already have to turn it around to make it look like the samples in this thread and in the winners' thread, then I have no idea how the judges are going to be turning it.

Help? SilveRansom? How are you getting this?
-- Vixyfish on Cerulean
[Feb 25, 2007 11:53:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.vixyandtony.com [Link]  Go to top 
vixyish

Here's an example of what I mean, 'cause I'm not sure I'm explaining my problem clearly:

Here's a sample Rhegg that was posted to the test thread:

Here's how SilveRansom rendered it:

When I download and save the original square design png, and enter it into 3DS Max, without changing the default camera angle on the egg grid file or anything else at ALL, here is what I get when I render it:

So you see... I *can't* optimize the position using the camera angle and resolution suggested in that link. The only thing that link says is "use the camera" and gives a resolution. It doesn't give an angle, and the egg grid file doesn't have the right default.

So I have to change the angle. So I want to know exactly what default angle the judges (and SilveRansom) are using.

Am I making any sense? :/
-- Vixyfish on Cerulean
[Feb 25, 2007 12:20:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.vixyandtony.com [Link]  Go to top 
vixyish

*sigh*... I apologize for spamming everyone with my frustration. I'll just mess with my camera angle until I can make Rhodin's egg look like SilveRansom's render of it, and then save that camera angle.

I was just kinda hoping to be *sure*... :/
-- Vixyfish on Cerulean
[Feb 25, 2007 12:30:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.vixyandtony.com [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 327   Pages: 11   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates