• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 45
Posts: 45   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7968 times and has 44 replies Next Thread
Azat

Keeping my interest up Reply to this Post

This is something I was worried about when I first signed up, but an Oceanmaster or two assured me that new content came out frequently. I'm currently the first mate of a newish crew, and I've hit Legendary on all of the puzzles I care about. We've done our share of pillaging, and we're vaguely saving up to buy a cutter. I've jobbed and hired jobbers, fought in sword tournaments, and so on. We're sort of shopping around for a flag, but the monarchs/royalty of any of the interesting flags seem fairly inaccessible, and most small flags are unappealing.

I feel like I've burned through all of the content that's available to me. Sure, I could play for a couple of days and buy a new outfit, or keep going and get a cutter. I could keep playing the same five puzzles over and over and over to increase my rating. I'm just not seeing the appeal of any of that.

It feels like, for players at my point, there's nothing new to do for a long time, and I don't care to drudge while I wait to happen upon a flag that seems worthy. Is there some bit of the game that I'm missing, or is there really nothing new until I amass a couple hundred k poe, or join a flag?
[Apr 6, 2004 1:17:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crystallina

Re: Keeping my interest up Reply to this Post

This is about where the social puzzle kicks in, and it generally kicks in much more when you're in a larger flag.
----------------------------------------
Rapmasta26, in a surprisingly accurate assessment of many posters' attitude towards things:

PLEASE PEOPLE, IF YOU DONT AGREE DONT REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!

[Apr 6, 2004 1:27:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YPP+Crystallina [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

With the next release you'll be able to buy a stall in a bazaar and get into shopkeeping. I also expect that the allure of being in a flag will increase substantially with all the hurrah surrounding blockades.

Although we will be adding more things to acquire, like hosues, I'm not sure if 'content' is the right way to look at this. Puzzle Pirates has never been intended as a content-oriented game, like EQ or somesuch where there's an ascending ladder of stuff to plough through. Our philosophy of design is much more about making a fun environment with a set of tools and rules to interact with the environment and other players. This type of gameplay is not necessarily for everyone, and particularly for some goal-oriented players it can't compete with the enormous quantity of content that a huge company with an order of magnitude or more resources can provide.

That said we do have some more content-oriented plans, namely Adventure Islands, but those are going to be a wee while in coming. More puzzles will come first, but I'm not certain that's going to be what you're looking for. Much as it pains me, if you feel that the game's not thrilling you, I would suggest taking a break and coming back in a few months. There's sure to be more to entertain you then.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Cleaver at Apr 6, 2004 1:31:31 PM]
[Apr 6, 2004 1:31:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Nikells

At the moment its the community and new features being added that keeps me playing.

I consider myself a pretty softcore player though, I don't spend a great deal of time in the game more of it is spent in the forums (and my crew forums) talking about new features etc. I spend about one or two hours a day actually playing the game, and even then I find myself hanging about on the docks rather than sailing.

I've played other MMORPG games, putting in hours of game time so I can reach the next level. Here I think the higher level activities are all about managing and increasing the size and power (not to mention quality) of your crew/flag, blockades should add a new element to this.
I like that i'm not required to constantly play the game for hours a day just to keep up with things. However I can understand more hardcore players probably need something to keep them playing after the first month.

That said the dev team are constantly adding new things to do, but it takes time. Hopefully in a year or so they'll be plenty to do in game so nobody gets bored for a long time.
Nikells - Viridian
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Nikells at Apr 6, 2004 1:33:54 PM]
[Apr 6, 2004 1:33:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://nikells.shackspace.com [Link]  Go to top 
Azat

This is about where the social puzzle kicks in, and it generally kicks in much more when you're in a larger flag.

Well, that would be something to keep in mind, if I were in a larger flag. However, as pointed out above, the process of finding and joining a flag is daunting, and looks to be lengthy, neither of which interest me. There's some kickstart to folks looking for a new crew, as the jobbing system introduces you around a bit, but there's no assistance to anyone looking for a flag, or incentive beyond the fact that the game is less tedious.

I really do want to like this game, so I'm hoping that there's something I've skipped over, but if there really is this chasm between me and the next bit of content I'd rather just move on. I don't mean to threaten to quit if I'm not catered to, but if what's there now isn't holding my interest then I'm uninclined to keep at it.
[Apr 6, 2004 1:34:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Morrigan

Go introduce yourself to the Looterati
~Beryl
Captain of the Pernicious Plunderers
Queen of the Alliterative Aristocracy
Owner- Terran Wear, Gaea
[Apr 6, 2004 1:40:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Azat

Cleaver wrote: 
With the next release you'll be able to buy a stall in a bazaar and get into shopkeeping. I also expect that the allure of being in a flag will increase substantially with all the hurrah surrounding blockades.

I'm looking forward to trying bazaars out, certainly. Joining a flag is already appealing, it just doesn't seem feasible.

Although we will be adding more things to acquire, like hosues, I'm not sure if 'content' is the right way to look at this. Puzzle Pirates has never been intended as a content-oriented game, like EQ or somesuch where there's an ascending ladder of stuff to plough through. Our philosophy of design is much more about making a fun environment with a set of tools and rules to interact with the environment and other players.

Oh, that I understand, and that's what I was looking for when I signed on. I've been deeply disappointed in the "kill-and-acquire" MMORPGs I've played in the past, and even ATITD started to irritate me as I felt like I had to work to keep up, and I'm not looking for "work" in my pasttime.

My meaning with "content" is a bit more general than yours, I think. I'm referring to things like new puzzles and nfty gadgets, and jumping-off points for social interaction like the jobbing system. I like what's there, it just feels like there's a gap between what I've done and what I've yet to do.

This type of gameplay is not necessarily for everyone, and particularly for some goal-oriented players it can't compete with the enormous quantity of content that a huge company with an order of magnitude or more resources can provide.

Ugh, understood. Believe me, I'm not looking for another Asheron's Call or EQ, or even A Tale in the Desert.

That said we do have some more content-oriented plans, namely Adventure Islands, but those are going to be a wee while in coming. More puzzles will come first, but I'm not certain that's going to be what you're looking for. Much as it pains me, if you feel that the game's not thrilling you, I would suggest taking a break and coming back in a few months. There's sure to be more to entertain you then.

More puzzles would be more than enough to slake me. I guess I feel like there's a middle point where there's not much to hold my interest, and that blockades and colonization add more on to the top, if you will, while there's still a blank spot that I'm looking at.

Maybe taking a break would be the answer.
[Apr 6, 2004 1:42:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Azat

Morrigan wrote: 

Are they looking for new crews? That would certainly be a good place to try; I'm pleased to be acquainted with anyone who can write an octometric quatrain.
[Apr 6, 2004 1:45:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Morrigan

I'm sure if you went and posted on their forum they'd be willing to talk to you. Spinn's a nice guy and they're all pretty fun/amusing people *

* This plug brought to you by someone who is not a member of their flag.
~Beryl
Owner- Terran Wear, Gaea
[Apr 6, 2004 1:48:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nikells

Rabid crazy people, they'll eat you alive.

*This off putting remark was brought to you by someone who is.
Nikells - Viridian
[Apr 6, 2004 1:51:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://nikells.shackspace.com [Link]  Go to top 
Morrigan

Except that Nikells guy, he sucks
~Beryl
Owner- Terran Wear, Gaea
[Apr 6, 2004 1:52:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DrunknBfly

edit: DANGIT! 8 posts made while I was writing this monster! I am booched. ]= However, I refuse to erase that which has taken me longer to write than most of last quarter's term papers. It shall remain, (much like my bottom in this computer chair) in all its ponderous enormity!

P.S. I agree; introduce yourselves to us! (If I haven't frightened you off, that is.) I wasn't going to plug our flag, since it's rather in poor taste, but now people've gone and done it FOR me. We're always glad to hear from new players. We need fresh meat. Mm... meat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There'll also be the more accessible way to economy and management when bazaars come in. It'll be much easier for players that don't have hundreds of thousands of poe to try out the shopkeeping puzzle.

Are you interested in the player-driven economy aspect of the game? I like watching the ebb and flow of trade goods and monitoring the raw goods coming from islands. I certainly don't know nearly as much about the economy as some of the buffs out there, but it perked my interest.

What are you looking for in the game? For example, I know I wanted a tailor shop more than anything when I started, but then I got tossed into the 'command puzzle' fairly quickly (good for me; bad for ocean!) so it's been a good deal of meeting new players and showing 'em around the game I enjoy so much since about my 3rd-4th week. Some find that very enjoyable. There are training crews that exist to teach new players about the game. There are also greeters that volunteer to answer questions from new players. Alternatively, you can also just run a normal crew and cheerfully teach new jobbers and new crew members.

I also agree with Crystallina that joining a good flag deepens the community/family feel that you have for your crew. With luck, you gain a large number of additional mates with whom to job, to staff your ship with if you have little or no crew online, who will come to your aid if you're attacked, and with whom you can work together for the larger goals (bigger than cutters and outfits) that you seem to be searching for. With colonisation, flag wars, and bazaars and blockades being the Next Big Thing, flag membership seems to be the way to go. (And I don't mean to imply that you have to join an existing one; you can also try the challenge of building your own if there's nothing out there you fancy.)

If you exist in a world that has no conflict and in which everything, such as the next new outfit, or cutter, is easily obtained, it's easy to see how you'll get bored and stagnant. Perhaps the solution for you may be conflict. Have you tried PvP, either on the open seas or in the season-long OCL tournaments? There are several players (Shuranthae pops to mind as an example) that enjoy PvPing; you can talk to them if you'd like to fight.

Additionally, flag wars is a feature that has already been implemented. You can try going to war and seeing if the competition perks your interest.

**** WARNING! Personal opinion and rambling forthcoming! ****

I too was intimidated by the large and well-established flags when I was a senior officer in a crew that had no flag moving into Midnight.
Luckily, it was also a fascinating challenge, because who doesn't want to join the ranks of well-known pirates out there? I suppose this is where the so-called social puzzle comes in; I tried to conduct myself well, meet lots of pirates, and then build the crew with great people that lub sailing together and be the most respectable-type captain I could be, because I figured that's how they got there. (Or at least, how I wanted to get there. Be The Best Pirate That You Can Be, and all that.) Personally, it's that challenge and the political air of the ocean that go on in this game, and the way that it's, you know, a microcosm, keeps me endlessly interested.
Pierut of Crimson Tide, formerly Looterati, not dead.

Shinrai tells you, "zomg u r an om i meen loot"

[Edit 2 times, last edit by DrunknBfly at Apr 6, 2004 1:57:57 PM]
[Apr 6, 2004 1:57:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://magiccheese.pyen.com/    Ravenlarke [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

Azat wrote: 
Morrigan wrote: 

Are they looking for new crews? That would certainly be a good place to try; I'm pleased to be acquainted with anyone who can write an octometric quatrain.

Ok, I'll byte. What is an octometric quatrain?

(Heck, check google: Your search - octometric quatrain - did not match any documents)
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Apr 6, 2004 2:01:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DrunknBfly

You can google trochaic octometer.

An octometric quatrain is a stanza of four lines, each of which consists of eight feet. For example, Shakespeare commonly wrote in iambic pentameter, which is lines of five feet. (Iambic refers to the type of foot used in the poetry. An iamb is unstressed-stressed, like du-DAA. Trochees, what Spinn used to write the poem for Looterati, are stressed-unstressed, like 'anal') So I suppose an example pentametric quatrain (?) would be like one of the stanzas from his sonnets:

Whoever hath her wish, thou hast thy 'Will,'
And 'Will' to boot, and 'Will' in overplus;
More than enough am I that vex thee still,
To thy sweet will making addition thus.
Pierut of Crimson Tide, formerly Looterati, not dead.

Shinrai tells you, "zomg u r an om i meen loot"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by DrunknBfly at Apr 6, 2004 2:07:47 PM]
[Apr 6, 2004 2:07:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://magiccheese.pyen.com/    Ravenlarke [Link]  Go to top 
Cedric

Part of your problem lies in the fact you started (or helped create) a small crew fairly early in your game experience. This is not recommended, and in fact discouraged as much as possible. The social networking you go through when you're a pirate or an officer in training is very valuable, I expect that if we polled people, most of the reason they ejoy the game is the group of people they associate with, rather than the puzzles, or the pillaging, or the clothing, or the challenges. Those things are just to entertain you, to give your "group" something to do.

"Joining" a flag isn't going to solve the issue, because unless you know the people within the flag, its not likely to mesh.

Some suggestions: Go jobbing some more. Now that you're an actual skilled player, jobbing is much more rewarding and enjoyable. The crews will likely be a little less patronizing (We all do it; adapt that "teacher voice" when we start explaining something: "Waahh waah wah waah aah wahhh Charlie Brown")

Especially look for job offers for other crews and flags that interest you.

Dock chats and events are also good mingling places, inn tourneys, too.

And hey, if Spinn's horrid odor turns you off, look up our flag as well. ;)
Captain of the Yellow Jackets (Midnight)
Not to be taken internally (or seriously)
May cause rash
[Apr 6, 2004 2:20:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Maverick1701 [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Leaving a lot out. Reply to this Post

Also, in keeping with Cleaver's design philosophy (and blatantly stealing a page from Spinn's Handbook of How to Enjoy Yourself and Entertain Others With Only A Little Bit of Effort) you can make your own fun.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Apr 6, 2004 2:22:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AkMedic

Imperio is designed around a 'family' environment. We also would be a good choice, but we don't promote, in fact, are quite agaisnt it. I do however state this here because we have at times kept folks from leaving, and got them back into the game, which, as Cleaver correclty points out, is more about the people and enviornment then 'stuff'.

So, baring a stop at Looterat or MAi (fine flags, either would probably work as well) look us up, or come job. We are...unique, and I think my mates would tell you we try to always make it fun and entertaining.

Besides, insult the monarch day is coming up again:) Fun times!

Cleaver- Player housing, before or after adventure islands? You know, inquiring minds.

Anyhow mate, what ye choose will be correct for you. However, this game, to me, is unique. I like it alot. I think given the right people ye become involved with (and 99% of the folks here rock), it can change yer perspective alot. When I started out in the game, I had a hard time finding an environment I wanted to exist in, hence why I created my own crew. However, it took a LONG time to build, and I wouldn't recomend it for everyone. It can be lonely and frustrating, espically now days in the days of 'uber wealth', ie, not being able to attain things as a small crew that may excit yer interests. However, and again as Cleaver has stated, that is about to change. Hurrah bazaars (yep, officially, my opinion changed. I now love the idea, because it brings something fun to many, and that's important, I think).

Anyhow, reguardless of yer choice, good luck! may ye find what ye are looking for:)
Captain of the greatest crew in the seas.
King of the honorable and just flag Imperio.

Retired

Adversus solem ne loquitor
[Apr 6, 2004 2:29:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AlaskanParamedic [Link]  Go to top 
Telastyn

Honestly, if you're having trouble saving for a cutter, ye've not scratched the surface of gameplay.

And Honestly, if ye're having trouble being recruited by a flag, ye've really not scratched the surface of gameplay.

That said, I might just be arrogantly presumptuous of your situation, so let me reiterate something I posted here a while back. The context was complaining about the lack of 'stuff' between shipowner and shopowner levels. I had a similar period where I felt burnt out. I felt I had everything I wanted, but couldn't get some of the "more" stuff. For me, it meant having ~100k in personal poe. Enough to buy anything really. I was legendary at the puzzles that 'mattered' [at the time it didn't involve carpentry]. But shopkeeping just required a ton of poe or a bunch of asskissing I couldn't get or do. There wasn't much else.

I ended up forming me own crew. Not for these reasons, but a side effect was that alot of these problems were alleviated. Going through and orginizing crew members, recruiting, training; all helped take up some of my time so I wasn't monotonously puzzling. Even when I was pillaging, it was quite different when trying to set an example for the crew and greenies. Plus, I got to sail more frequently with a set group of pirates. Extra communication led to everyone being better puzzlers. Everyone being better puzzlers led to more victories and more challenging victories, and both of those led people to play more.

Now with Bazaars, there will be something for the middle level pirate to obtain. Something a bit more than a ship, but a bit less than a shop. For me and my mates, it is finally an oppertunity to try out trading and actual orginized ship movement. When ye just pillage, it doesn't much matter where or when ye go.

So for ye, it might be forming yer own flag, or a crew to join with yer current one to form a flag. It might be a stall. It might be something entirely different.

Make an alt, and have them join an established crew. Even if you don't do much with them, just sail around. Puzzle a bit. Just seeing how a good established crew is run will give such insight as to what the game can really mean...
[Apr 6, 2004 3:02:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Azat

Cedric wrote: 
Part of your problem lies in the fact you started (or helped create) a small crew fairly early in your game experience. This is not recommended, and in fact discouraged as much as possible.

It's certainly discouraged by the players, on the forums, but within the game itself there's little to suggest that this might be a bad idea. In fact, as soon as you click on your crew tab, the instructions for starting your own are laid out before you.

In any event, I hardly thought that, by electing to become part of a new crew, I'd find myself with less to do. ;)

The social networking you go through when you're a pirate or an officer in training is very valuable, I expect that if we polled people, most of the reason they ejoy the game is the group of people they associate with, rather than the puzzles, or the pillaging, or the clothing, or the challenges. Those things are just to entertain you, to give your "group" something to do.

Well, that's really the point of any MMORPG, but if the game aspect weren't important we'd all be on IRC.

Some suggestions: Go jobbing some more. Now that you're an actual skilled player, jobbing is much more rewarding and enjoyable. The crews will likely be a little less patronizing (We all do it; adapt that "teacher voice" when we start explaining something: "Waahh waah wah waah aah wahhh Charlie Brown")

Unfortunately, I'm on from 12am-8am eastern, and there's little in the way of available jobs. I've had some good experiences, but most of the crews I run into are unsociable, and the booty a sloop earns isn't enticing. I also still run into the problem of playing the same old puzzles, only now my options are whittled to three.

And hey, if Spinn's horrid odor turns you off, look up our flag as well. ;)

I may, at that.
[Apr 6, 2004 3:05:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Azat

AkMedic wrote: 
Imperio is designed around a 'family' environment. We also would be a good choice, but we don't promote, in fact, are quite agaisnt it.

May I ask why? None of the flags really seem to promote themselves, but that doesn't make any sense to me. How are new, small crews supposed to find out who's who, and who's looking for whom?

I do however state this here because we have at times kept folks from leaving, and got them back into the game, which, as Cleaver correclty points out, is more about the people and enviornment then 'stuff'.

So, baring a stop at Looterat or MAi (fine flags, either would probably work as well) look us up, or come job. We are...unique, and I think my mates would tell you we try to always make it fun and entertaining.

I have a few places to look now, so I'll definitely do that. With a little luck, maybe I'll find us a flag.

Besides, insult the monarch day is coming up again:) Fun times!

Har. That does sound like rip-roarin' time.

Anyhow mate, what ye choose will be correct for you. However, this game, to me, is unique. I like it alot. I think given the right people ye become involved with (and 99% of the folks here rock), it can change yer perspective alot. When I started out in the game, I had a hard time finding an environment I wanted to exist in, hence why I created my own crew. However, it took a LONG time to build, and I wouldn't recomend it for everyone. It can be lonely and frustrating, espically now days in the days of 'uber wealth', ie, not being able to attain things as a small crew that may excit yer interests.

It's not so much the difficulty in establishing a crew, as it is finding a place to go with it once you're there. Basically, we've got a couple of sloops, we've gotten good at the puzzles, and we rarely lose to brigands or PvP, and we're kind of saying, "Okay, what now?"

Anyhow, reguardless of yer choice, good luck! may ye find what ye are looking for:)

Thanks. I'm sure we will; enough folks seem quite helpful here.
[Apr 6, 2004 3:11:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
burnt

Your Quandrary Reply to this Post

Lol. I know how it goes too. And along with these other flags, we're open to new crews as well.

As for things to do, have you checked out the "legendary recipes contest" that's linked in the in game information page?

Besides, run a /fwho on rogues' pact, ct, rr, or some o the other bigger guys, there's lots of people online at weird hours. In fact, we're makin efforts to BE on at those hours.

Another option, if yer finding the social life of yer crew lacking, you can always combine with a bigger crew. Most captains will understand yer situation.

But I understand. I am also personally hoping for more new puzzles. In the meantime, we're just kinda hoping for ways to make fun for ourselves.

I know each flag has ways of doing this. They may vary from pyjama parties to organized skellie hunts to crazy flag pillage and quiz contests to outright tourneys. Social puzzles are important, and really, what keeps me logging on is the fact that I have a lot of really nice interesting people to talk to. And bilging. Don't forget bilging...

Anyway - I wish ye best o luck with this.
[Apr 6, 2004 3:27:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AkMedic

May I ask why? None of the flags really seem to promote themselves, but that doesn't make any sense to me. How are new, small crews supposed to find out who's who, and who's looking for whom?

Sure, but it requires some history. Way back when, I (and a few 'survivors' I know of) were a member of a crew called the Green Birds. They would 'recruit' by random jobbings/crew offers. The crew itself was horribly corrupt, and disorganized. This was my first introduction to ypp, and had it been my only, I would have disliked the game. So, I vowed to never randomly recruit, but to know people before I asked them to join.

Flash foreward to now. Even today as a flag I still have the philosphy. It has new facets however. I believe that if you 'pitch' yourself, or are trying to sell yourself, you do a diservice to the crew your trying to have join, and really, to yourself as well. Imperio is a very close knit family, and we believe that anyone coming into that family should come in knowing what we are about, and also because they want to be there, not because we sold them on the idea. This also speaks to a larger picture: If crews/flags 'recruit' mates, and do it under some false pretense (or simply, by promoting in ways which do not truely represent what the flag is), then you do a diservice to not only yourself, your crew/flag, but the game as well. That person may take the experence as a bad one, and may judge the game on this. For me, I believe that the game growing and gaining good peope is really important. The ringers have bills, and I'd like ypp to exist for a long time. So, more happy people= Imperio together for some time. That's a good thing.

I also never was comfortable with pitching Imperio. I believe her mates and her crews do that well enough. We have gotten all our crews through jobbers, people know us, or word of mouth. It's awesome. Even the negative (and mostly false) things that exist out there about us, or any flag really, are usually because people don't know us. I think as folks do come to know us, they find we are honorable, just, and really, damn good people. I think that 'sells' us more than anything could.

I have a few places to look now, so I'll definitely do that. With a little luck, maybe I'll find us a flag.

Definatly. Every flag does it a little different, but I think most are in it for fun. Find what works, and what is best for your crew, and chase the dream:)

Har. That does sound like rip-roarin' time.

More for them:) Actually, it's damn fun. One of my favored events (also because taking oneself to seriously is dangerous, and it's also a good way to be an equal to my mates, which I am and always will be).

It's not so much the difficulty in establishing a crew, as it is finding a place to go with it once you're there. Basically, we've got a couple of sloops, we've gotten good at the puzzles, and we rarely lose to brigands or PvP, and we're kind of saying, "Okay, what now?"

I think, as others more ellequent than I have said, you may be ready to step into a larger political and social scene. Job around, and find a flag with an atmosphere you like. Talk to their royalty, and set up a meeting. Hear what they have to say, and see if it's right for you.

Thanks. I'm sure we will; enough folks seem quite helpful here.

I think this is something that is prevelant here,a nd in the game. Like I said, 99% of the ocean are good, smart, and awesome mates. Hence why this game sells itself, mainly because of them, and also because our oms are of the same mentality.
Captain of the greatest crew in the seas.
King of the honorable and just flag Imperio.

Retired

Adversus solem ne loquitor
[Apr 6, 2004 3:50:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AlaskanParamedic [Link]  Go to top 
Azat

Oh, as a side note: the reason we haven't got a cutter yet isn't really that we can't afford it, it's that no one is selling them. Every shop we run across is either closed to orders or out of sail cloth.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

DrunknBfly wrote: 
edit: DANGIT! 8 posts made while I was writing this monster! I am booched. ]

Hey, your monster wasn't up when I started writing my last post.

Are you interested in the player-driven economy aspect of the game? I like watching the ebb and flow of trade goods and monitoring the raw goods coming from islands. I certainly don't know nearly as much about the economy as some of the buffs out there, but it perked my interest.

Indeed, I am.

I am very much interested in the flow of goods, the operations of a shop, etc.

But to this day, almost a full month after starting, I have no real idea how to get into this area of the game. Lots of people post on the boards about how "horrible" the shopkeeping experience is. Yet everyone wants to run them. Or, more accurately, everyone that is currently running them wants to keep them and keep running them. Even to the point of spending a million poe on a non-generating inn. (Hey, maybe they plan on renting out the back room and back message board? Selling ads on the front board?).

How do I get started in this area/puzzle? I have no idea, really:

#1. To track goods/etc, you need ships. Yes, next release will permit you to check the pricing boards from the market without ships, but right now you need ships. My first crew -- Sea Rats -- had spare ships everywhere, and were very nice and quick to make me an officer, so I had a chance to see this. But I couldn't do anything really past that. And, this doesn't address the diamond/emerald inter-arch -- there's no easy way to do that. There could be, if say, Alpha and Epsilon each had a navy ship that just bounced back and forth between two islands close to each other in the other arch, with no maps going back home.

#2. To actually start trading runs, you need money for your initial investment, the ability to scout around and find a good price difference, the ability to plot a course between things, and the ability to make the run.

Money? Har. Yes, people say that you can get money by putting in the hours. But I'm looking for a game where I can play and enjoy, not work. Until the recent shop auctions, that was difficult; now, with I'm-Sic owning a monger (and me with about 1% of that!), I'll see some real income. Besides, although everyone says "jobbing for a crew, or making pillaging runs with your crew" as a way to make money, the truth is, until I jobbed on Dorel's ship, I wasn't making a very large amount (heck, not even what seemed to be a significant amount). And unlike Dorel, I couldn't put in a full 24 hours on that, as much as I wanted to.
Scout around? See #1, ships everywhere.
Plot a course between things? Depends on the maps present on the ship.
Make the run?

In the Sea Rats, scouting was easy -- ships everywhere. Plotting the course? Most ships had almost complete maps for diamond and emerald, but nothing really out of the base arches, so I could trade between shops (not really much profit that I saw in that), but not much in the way of foraging runs [I'm sorry, but every time I've gotten to an uncolonized island in Diamond or Emerald there has been nothing to forage.] Money? Asking an SO to move maps between ships to make a better run? Most of the time that I played, there were no SO's from the Sea Rats online. [And, even when there were, at that point in time I didn't realize that you could ask an SO to move maps for you.] Money to get started? I never got any indication from the other Rats that that could be worked out. Making the run? Sea Rats policy -- all trade runs completed, and the ship returned home, before finishing/logging out.

From all this, I came to the conclusion -- NOT that the Sea Rats were a bad crew, but that they were a bad fit for me. So, I switched crews. RifKind had, through postings and PM's, made it clear that she had no problem with people taking ships for long/extended trade runs, her schedule generally matches mine (as do other SO's from the flag), so I figure map moving isn't a problem (heck, I figure that they could probably plot any request from memory for me). Rif had also made it clear that she could loan any reasonable amount needed to get started doing trade runs. So, that only leaves ship's everywhere. Well, right now I'm in her training crew (ok, the forces ("That's FAMILY") of darkness's training crew), and they don't have them everywhere. Soon, graduation, ...

#3. Running a shop.
I'm currently working on an assignment from FluffyCloud, researching HogWash's _RENTAL_ of a shop (something that had never occured to me before her assignment); from this, when I'm done, I expect to make rental offers. That might be a way into this area before bazaars. And, given what the taxation/limited capacity of bazaars seems to be looking like, renting a real shop might still be a better value.

I also agree with Crystallina that joining a good flag deepens the community/family feel that you have for your crew. With luck, you gain a large number of additional mates with whom to job, to staff your ship with if you have little or no crew online, who will come to your aid if you're attacked, and with whom you can work together for the larger goals (bigger than cutters and outfits) that you seem to be searching for. With colonisation, flag wars, and bazaars and blockades being the Next Big Thing, flag membership seems to be the way to go. (And I don't mean to imply that you have to join an existing one; you can also try the challenge of building your own if there's nothing out there you fancy.)

Keep in mind that good flag, additional mates, etc, strongly depends on your schedule. Make sure that it's a crew that will have people online when you are.

There are two major crew-level features in the game -- your crew list, which shows who is on when you are, and the "Crew" chat channel, that lets you talk with crew mates -- that have no easy flag level equivalent. And, I never knew about them at all when I was in the Sea Rats. To save you the trouble, here they are:

#1. "/fwho", or "/fw" -- with no arguments, displays information about your flag in the "Ahoy" panel. Included in this is the list of people online right now. It does not tell you which of these are SO's, O's, P's, CP's, or jobbers. But it does give you the names, and with time you'll recognize names. And, the names are clickable for the little "summary" item, so you can see where they are. Note that you don't get the full player page, so you can't see which crew or rank they are in; you don't see which crew the vessel that they are on is part of; and when you do this a few times, the flag information is pushed down. It's not perfect, but it's a basic start.

#2. "/tell". Yes, use "/tell <name> message. Yes, I'm sure you're thinking "That's obvious". It wasn't to me at first. I'm not sure when I realized it and how it works, but it wasn't immediately obvious.

Combine "/fw" to see who's on, recognizing names over a few sessions, and "/tell so-and-so Ahoy, what's up?", and you can start to find out what's going on in your flag, and not just what's going on in your crew.

(Of course, if I had know about it while in the Rats, I would have gotten into flag level stuff while one Monarch was on the way out, instead of just the day he was leaving.)
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Apr 6, 2004 5:00:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

As far as I know ALL of the large flags are looking for new members right now. Shop around, don't give in to advertising and propaganda alone, spend some time with each of the flags you're interested in, and choose from there. If you're looking to be in a large flag, they should not be daunting you.

If you wish to look at our flag, you can contact anyone who appears on the flag page, and the junior members are usually nice enough to contact the more senior ones punctually. I'm not gonna give you a bunch of spam about how our flag is the best: Whoever's the best for you is your own decision, and if you need more information, any flag that's recruiting is likely more than happy to give it to you.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Apr 6, 2004 5:43:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
RedDog

Azat wrote: 
Oh, as a side note: the reason we haven't got a cutter yet isn't really that we can't afford it, it's that no one is selling them. Every shop we run across is either closed to orders or out of sail cloth.

If you were to join one of the big flags which have shops I'm sure they could make you a cutter. Smaller flags like mine may already have ships that they could trade. There are always people advertising in the forums selling ships that they find are too big for their solo outfits or too small for their growing crews. I myself have been known to buy ships for my senior officers to start their own crews under my flag. Maybe the answer is not to join a flag but to join a bigger crew in a flag. A bigger crew can be more fun if you all get on. The Alchemists Guild in my flag for instance has loads of ships you could take out as a senior officer and there are usually enough crew on to take out a decent sized ship. Your present sloop would remain as your own personal ship for when there are fewer crew than you would like on or if you want to solo to learn navigation points. On that same point can you navigate the whole ocean without maps? Have you even experienced some of the harder routes were every brigand that attacks you is Red/ Imperial or Dread Pirates? Have you won a Familier or even entered one of the contests? I doubt from what you say that you have scratched the surface of this game. Doesn't it give you a clue when some people are buying shops at over a million PoE and you are scratching around to buy a cutter that there is more to this game than meets the eye?

Anyone interested in joining my flag or one of our crews can send me a PM, an e-mail or a tell in game. You can also contact DarkViper of the Alchemists Guild the same way. If you require some help with money or learning routes for example then just ask. I can always say no.

If you want it the easy way join a bigger flag such as Nyx, The Rudder Lubbers or Looterati. I'm sure they will welcome you with open arms.

Whatever you do please don't quit just yet, give it a bit longer and if need be try a few options until find your niche. What ever you do good luck.

Seasnake

Captain of the Flying Tigers, King of The Patrician's Flag
Fortunatly the seasnake rarely bites humans.

11 years and still flying the flag.
[Apr 6, 2004 6:07:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://seasnake.mysite.freeserve.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Demeter
OceanMaster

Azat wrote: 
How are new, small crews supposed to find out who's who, and who's looking for whom?

The Flags Recruiting Crews sticky topic in Piratical Parley is worth a look.
"Demeter is sneeeaky." Trickykid

[Apr 6, 2004 6:41:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Azat

I've been there--you'll have to forgive me if flags with names like "No Homers" are unappealing--but just in this thread we've had three or four flags speak up to say that they are looking for new members, and none of them have posts on that thread.
[Apr 6, 2004 7:10:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jahred

I think a lot of flags (and crews for that matter) don't openly advertise the fact that they're hiring for the simple reason that it is easier to approach crews/players you would like to hire, as opposed to turning away droves of idiots and useless startup crews that would detract more than they'd add to your organization (then again, I could be completely wrong here, thats just the way I think). So if there's a group you're interested in joining, *ask*. If your record/reputation doesn't already speak for itself, offer to demonstrate your abilities to any hesitant parties.

As for getting bored/burnt out, I can identify there. For a long time I was in a crew that could be considered a little elitist, since we would only hire players with legendaries and ultimates in whatever puzzles they primarily preferred, and tended to shy away from newer players who weren't already supper-puzzlers?. Now, while this did lead to a crew that was extremely fast and efficient pillagers, it wasn't a whole lot of fun. We'd go out and win battle after battle, but in complete silence, and then when it came time to allocate crew money, and decide which political issues to support, it could become a bit of a "clash of the titan (egos)" type deal. Now, it wasn't always like that, to be sure, there were quite a few occasions where I quite enjoyed being able to win 99% of my pillage battles and have the record as the fastest crew on the seas (we entered 3 sloop races and won all 3). But it got stangnant, especially since I was sailing with the same 3 or 4 people ALL THE TIME. I guess where I'm going with this is: you can be extremely successful puzzlewise, and still be as bored as all hell. The wonderful thing about this game is, you can create your own fun (Party Barge events and Cranberry Socials? anyone?). So perhaps you need to step back from where you are right now in the game and see if there's anything you can be doing (orthodox or not) to entertain yourself and your friends, and perhaps create some new friends as well. Parties, events (especially non-traditional tournaments) and the like are great ways to break up the monotony of "make poe, spend poe to increase your assets, make more poe from your new aquisitions, spend more poe to expand your empire." Afterall, there is no point in spending money solely to make more money, if thats all there is, then money is pointless.

That made no sense *I think*

If you're ever online at the same time as I am, preferrably a weekend, feel free to ask if I have a leisure party cruise planned for the near future ;)
Russel - official YPP anti-Greeter
People hate me, but not really.
[Apr 6, 2004 7:40:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RedDog

Azat wrote: 
I've been there--you'll have to forgive me if flags with names like "No Homers" are unappealing--but just in this thread we've had three or four flags speak up to say that they are looking for new members, and none of them have posts on that thread.

Nyx are in there, I'm in there. I haven't gone through the lot but there are two pages of them. Not ever crew bothers with the forums and lots of them have their own web sites and forums, me included.

Seasnake

Captain of the Flying Tigers, King of The Patrician's Flag
Fortunatly the seasnake rarely bites humans.

11 years and still flying the flag.
[Apr 6, 2004 7:54:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://seasnake.mysite.freeserve.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 45   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates