• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 19
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 12849 times and has 18 replies Next Thread
bassgoonist

vista x64 question Reply to this Post

Ok, so I know I'm way out on the hairy edge here...
But when I run ypp in vista 32 bit, I have no problems, but in x64 it disables aero when it runs, anyone know why this would be?
----------------------------------------
"My unoriginal avatar ROCKS!"
I'm Hairybeard, from Midnight. Been around since the Azure days :D
[Feb 11, 2007 2:27:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Re: vista x64 question Reply to this Post

It's probably related to your version of Java. Try updating it, or if it's up to date, you may need to wait for a future update to x64 Java. I had the same issue with Vista disabling Aero when loading PP - updating my Java and changing my PP desktop shortcuts to point to the new version fixed that - but I was on 32bit.
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Feb 12, 2007 4:31:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bassgoonist

OH!
I have to point it to the new version!
I installed java 6 AFTER ypp, so...THANK YOU SO MUCH!
That was so annoying
[Feb 12, 2007 9:29:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DobdobBodpa

Might I suggest an alternate shortcut target to what the Nullsoft installer creates?

Instead of:

"C:\Program Files\Sun\Java\[etc etc]\javaw.exe" "C:\Program Files\Three Rings Design\Puzzle Pirates\getdown-dop.jar" .

Use:

"C:\Program Files\Three Rings Design\Puzzle Pirates\getdown-dop.jar" .

...in other words, point the shortcut to the JAR file and not the javaw.exe executable? And don't forget to keep the period at the end - that's a command line paramater GetDown needs to find its config files. It means "use current directory."

JAR files are automatically associated to the current version of Java. When you update Java, you automatically update the JAR file association.

I'm also curious: The last time someone attempted to use YPP on Java 64-bit on a preview release of Vista, island maps wouldn't load and you'd see 'Loading...' instead. Other dynamic content also stopped working. This was a permissions problem. The web launcher works better with this because the installation goes into a user-writeable area instead of in Program Files.
The so-called "First Vista Virus" needs the user to be stupid enough to open it.
[Feb 12, 2007 11:39:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bassgoonist

I am having no problems with it showing island maps...
[Feb 12, 2007 3:02:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

My Vista PC is single user, so I disabled User Account Control and that fixed 99% of permissions issues.
#TeamPurple
[Feb 12, 2007 7:57:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bassgoonist

My Vista PC is single user, so I disabled User Account Control and that fixed 99% of permissions issues.

Oh yeah...UAC is the first thing I turn off...lawl
[Feb 12, 2007 11:00:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DobdobBodpa

Oh yeah...[User Account Control] is the first thing I turn off...lawl

People like you are why the anti-virus industry has years of business ahead of them. Next time you blame Microsoft for the first Vista virus, I'll be there with this quote in hand. :-p
The so-called "First Vista Virus" needs the user to be stupid enough to open it.
[Feb 13, 2007 12:48:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

UAC doesn't stop viruses. Anti-virus software and firewalls do.
#TeamPurple
[Feb 13, 2007 7:41:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kraggard

Ummm, setting user accounts to limited securty absolutely stops viruses.

A Virus that can't modify system files is an unsuccessful virus.

Of course, how things are lately where every other web page wants to install some (hopefully legit) activex control or another, running with limited permissions is absolutely hellish. Every time you go to a website you have warning popups and broken apps until you log in from a privledged account and install all the crud.

THAT'S the reason trying to get folks to run from limited user accounts is difficult. There should be a way to invoke a full Admin user for installation of these things, providing you can enter the account name and password. (Yes you can 'run as...' in windows, but running your browser that way is just as bad as running it from a fully open user in the first place. But when you get installation popups there is no way to run that single install instance as a privlidged user, that I am aware of.)
Avatar used by permission of Scupperer
erfan wrote: 
It's not his, honey. He's posting pictures of other guys' snakes to make himself feel better because his isn't as impressive.

[Feb 13, 2007 10:31:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

The feature just gave me annoying prompts when trying to do anything, which if I was anything other than the PC administrator, I'd need a password to get past. The popups really were rather pointless. A decent Anti-virus application, firewall and "Common Sense" prevent viruses. UAC is purely an annoyance.
#TeamPurple
[Feb 13, 2007 2:22:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bassgoonist

Oh yeah...[User Account Control] is the first thing I turn off...lawl

People like you are why the anti-virus industry has years of business ahead of them. Next time you blame Microsoft for the first Vista virus, I'll be there with this quote in hand. :-p

Yeah, that's really nice of you to be such a jerk.
I run without AV for months, do a scan, and never get a virus...so stuff it.
[Feb 13, 2007 4:40:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DobdobBodpa

Yeah, that's really nice of you to be such a jerk.

/me bows

[ActiveX, broken applications and install-on-demand is] the reason trying to get folks to run from limited user accounts is difficult. There should be a way to invoke a full Admin user for installation of these things, providing you can enter the account name and password.

This is actually what User Account Control is all about. Similarly, there's an ActiveX manager of some kind that lets folks install updates to controls (ie: Adobe Flash) without admin intervention, if a site's admin permits this from certain publishers.

I have a particular problem with broken applications. In fact I maintain a list of them, as do others like Threat Code and Keith's Hall of Shame. It's a really sore point, especially since Windows 2000 introduced halfway-decent account control seven years ago.

Sadly, Three Rings is on my list until their self-contained installer gets fixed. In the meantime there's the web launcher.

As for stopping viruses, don't get me started on that, or I might have to tear into my airport security rant again... ok make that Rob Rosenberger's airport security rant. I have a bad design rant instead. Suffice to say I can boast a 100% virus prevention track record over three years for my clients. These are average folks, not computer experts.
[Feb 13, 2007 6:31:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dec540

ok, so i am running vista home premium 32bit and i downloaded the new java 1.6.0. i have changed the target to "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\javaw.exe" yet it does not seem to be doing anything.. i have probably completely screwed everything up lol i suck with computers >__< anyone able to help?

Thanks

Decone
[Feb 17, 2007 3:50:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

If you have User Account Control active, it may be blocking it from launching...try Right clicking the icon and 'Run as administrator...'.
#TeamPurple
[Feb 17, 2007 5:17:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
m0nde

lol!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control

Read that first and take a look at the links.
Then understand why OS/X and anything based on *NIX had this in it from the beginning...
[Apr 11, 2007 1:26:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DobdobBodpa

Then understand why OS/X and anything based on *NIX had this in it from the beginning...

While you're at it, go read why Windows 2000 had it seven years ago, but no one bothered to use it back then. Also while you're at it, explain how this happened without using anti-virus software.

And why the hell was this thread bumped, anyway?
[Apr 11, 2007 6:51:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

And why the hell was this thread bumped, anyway?

I don't know, but as a Vista tester and hardcore Vista user - I can tell you that UAC doesn't stop viruses. Vista UAC is like...a restrictive religion with solid moral guidelines. And no confession.
#TeamPurple
[Apr 12, 2007 2:02:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DobdobBodpa

Vista UAC is like...a restrictive religion with solid moral guidelines. And no confession.

You have Vista confused with MacOS X; they don't call it the "Cult of Mac" for nothing. Mind you, I'll admit a lot of MS marketing folks did the same. :-)

Yeah... Vista UAC is like the seat belt warning bell in your car. You can still choose not to use it, but you can't say they didn't warn you.
[Apr 12, 2007 6:32:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates