• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 11
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4255 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
Ramirez

Repairs while in port Reply to this Post

Repairing damage is now, er, hard. On a small sloop, you can only put one NPP on carpentry at a time, plus players. So, even working alongside the best carpentry NPP I could find, it took me many leagues to repair the damage that had accumulated to my small sloop. That's a lot of work for a small sloop, and we were pretty much dead in the water as we worked.

And then I thought, hey, most ships were repaired in drydock, not at sea. And it would sure be easier to bilge when you're not moving.

Thus, the suggestion(s):
Allow players to play the bilging and carpentry puzzle while in port.
Alternatively, have ships in port slowly "regenerate" bilge and damage.
Alternatively, allow pirates to pay for repairs while in port.
Alternatively... um, we can just suck it up and deal with it. :)
----------------------------------------
It's seven leagues to Turtle Island. We've got a full cask of rum, half a keg of gunpowder, it's dark, and we're wearing eyepatches. Hit it.
[Jan 14, 2003 12:24:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

Re: Repairs while in port Reply to this Post

the only problem is if ships slowly suck up bilge and damage in port, they're always going to be full when ye want to use them... (how irrigating!!)
--Ursela, Captain of the Dastards
... and a few others ...
[Jan 14, 2003 12:30:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
AvaPoet

Carpenering - Ye Booched It Reply to this Post

Aye! I aree with Ramirez. It's stupidly difficult to cut down the damage to a ship.

If the rate at which the bilge fills directly related to the damage taken (leaking), plus a constant (big wooden ships DO just leak, slowly), as would make sense? If so, and the damage model is sensible (i.e. an undamaged or barely damaged ship does not take much damage at all, while cannon fire, collisions, rocks etc. do reasonable amounts of damage, and having a fullish bilge in an already damaged ship only extenuates the damage, necessitating a full-stop while the ship gets "overhauled", or pulling into port to get repaired).

I think the option to undergo repairs in port should be available - perhaps have the ship merchant be able to offer this for a reasonable price (over a reasonable amount of time - I'll be making a post about game-time soon too).

But I also agree that it should be possible for players to bilge and repair boats in port - I mean: why the hell not! Why should you have to pull out to sea and traipse up and down (which of course requires an officer to be logged on... and your port not to be blockaded... etc etc etc) between two leaguepoints for ages.

In fact, I really think you should be able to repair and bilge in port. As Ramirez said, this is where most of these activities happened anyway!
Ava
[Jan 14, 2003 12:56:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.avangel.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Repairs and bilging in port. Reply to this Post

Yes. It's happening. You will be able to do these things in port. In fact, I already said so in another post. So keep your (stripey) shirts on, hold your (sea)horses and don't get your briches in a bunch.

-Nemo
[Jan 14, 2003 2:20:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SephirothRyu

As for payment, couldn't it simply be based on how much that person actually repairs or pump? that way, if someone is doing the job and the ship doesn't need it yet, they wouldn't get all that extra just for not waiting around. Of course, this would only apply while in port. payment would be done the usual way when sailing.
[Jan 20, 2005 5:31:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

SephirothRyu wrote: 
As for payment, couldn't it simply be based on how much that person actually repairs or pump? that way, if someone is doing the job and the ship doesn't need it yet, they wouldn't get all that extra just for not waiting around. Of course, this would only apply while in port. payment would be done the usual way when sailing.

Note that this is two years old. Things after this flowed in to just having the 30-minute auto-repair. If you'd like to discuss new proposals, keep the thread's age in mind.
[Jan 20, 2005 5:35:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
FenrirWolf

Let's take this item off "The List" then.

- Hoping for a more accurate "The List"
Fenrir , the one with a crappy signature.

The Eye - Former King
Odin's Demise - Former Captain
[Nov 15, 2005 12:00:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zim_was_here

Let's take this item off "The List" then.

- Hoping for a more accurate "The List"

Seconded.

Quintillaz has been assigned the title of Builder in Dagger Revolution.
Juliah says, "because you "erect" things.... *giggles*"

wee howdypedia

Quintillaz
[Nov 15, 2005 12:03:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.geocities.com/zim_was_here    zim_was_here    zimwashere2 [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

An accurate "The List" would be nice, but a small suggestion to avoid bumpage of many outdated threads - perhaps drop a private message to the Keeper of the List listing the no-longer-relevant topics to be de-Listed.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Nov 15, 2005 12:05:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

SephirothRyu wrote: 

Note that this is two years old. Things after this flowed in to just having the 30-minute auto-repair. If you'd like to discuss new proposals, keep the thread's age in mind.

Perma-damage off the list, then?

Smythe,
curious

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Nov 15, 2005 12:06:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
LeRoy82

"Bump"

An accurate "The List" would be nice, but a small suggestion to avoid bumpage of many outdated threads - perhaps drop a private message to the Keeper of the List listing the no-longer-relevant topics to be de-Listed.

Agree... :D

I have looked to this many times and still get the same old thread... )&
"LeRoy82, is best known for leading Off Topic 7/10 times in his OWN threads/posts..."
Well, you didn't have to put it like that. )&
[Jul 8, 2008 4:55:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    LeRoy16_69 [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates