• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 21
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4210 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
Christine

Character Names Reply to this Post

Is there a way to put spaces or Capital letters in character names??
[Aug 5, 2003 3:53:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Re: Character Names Reply to this Post

No.
[Aug 5, 2003 4:05:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Part of The Plan (which guides The List) is that people would earn their adjectives, and they already earn their titles. Clearly this is not at the top of The List, but you may want to keep it in mind before you make yourself another Mrjonesthesmelly.

-Nemo
----------------------------------------
[Aug 5, 2003 5:46:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
triskaideka

I guess it would be hopeless to try to argue for this? Disallowing spaces I can understand, as it's currently the best way to tell NPPs from players, and disallowing numbers and punctuation makes sense because no real names have them, but I'd be happy to see capital letters allowed in names. At least you could call yourself "McGee" instead of "Mcgee". Sure, people would probably take advantage of the feature to create names that are really several words run together, but down at the docks you ain't got enough room to swing a dead cat without hitting someone who's doing that anyway. If absolutely necessary, I suppose there could be a "No ALL CAPS/aLt CaPs" rule, but I don't really see that as a big deal.
[Aug 5, 2003 11:09:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

I would say that no all caps or alt caps should ever be part of the game. The last thing I need is to remember whether to /tell Nemo or NeMo or NEMO.

The argument for enabling names like McGee is sound-ish, but I would bet a large sum of money that 90% of the people who use multiple caps won't do it to make real names. Maybe 95%. It's not cool.
[Aug 5, 2003 11:39:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
triskaideka

homullus wrote: 
I would say that no all caps or alt caps should ever be part of the game. The last thing I need is to remember whether to /tell Nemo or NeMo or NEMO.

Agreed. Character names are currently case-insensitive and should remain so.

homullus wrote: 
The argument for enabling names like McGee is sound-ish, but I would bet a large sum of money that 90% of the people who use multiple caps won't do it to make real names. Maybe 95%. It's not cool.

Maybe so. An alternate approach would be to make names start with only the initial capital by default, but implement some mechanism whereby players could apply to the admins for a special exception. That might be time-consuming, though perhaps less so than going around changing names that use alt caps.

I'm personally only mildly bothered by seeing names in all caps or alt caps, and I'm about equally bothered by seeing names that don't have capital letters where they should, so I figure if there will be players with names that look bad no matter what you do, you might as well choose the option that gives more freedom to those who can use it responsibly.
[Aug 5, 2003 11:55:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
McDxi

I'm in favor of leaving things as they are. The last thing in the world this game needs is to give LQM3RZ the ability to name themselves something like xxx_V4Zh_z4_sT4Mp3D0_xxx. If you want that, I suggest giving Lineage a try; it's eaten up alive with it.
[Aug 6, 2003 3:56:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AaronZOOM

The last thing in the world this game needs is to give LQM3RZ the ability to name themselves something like xxx_V4Zh_z4_sT4Mp3D0_xxx.

I'm just shocked I can actually read that.
-- Riskyboots
[Aug 6, 2003 4:04:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Christine

thanks for the responses guys, it was more than I had hoped for. I agree that alt caps names are obnoxious, however my name as it is in-game now is Annerackham. I wanted to have Anne Rackham, or something of that nature. I would have just gone with anne, but that was taken, and in the interest of role-playing something like Anne2312425345 just doesn't jive with me. Perhaps there could be a first name field and then a surname field that would automatically format (make the first letters caps.) in order to eliminate the problem of capitals/no capitals.
[Aug 6, 2003 4:28:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Smurrf

Christine wrote: 
thanks for the responses guys, it was more than I had hoped for. I agree that alt caps names are obnoxious, however my name as it is in-game now is Annerackham. I wanted to have Anne Rackham, or something of that nature. I would have just gone with anne, but that was taken, and in the interest of role-playing something like Anne2312425345 just doesn't jive with me. Perhaps there could be a first name field and then a surname field that would automatically format (make the first letters caps.) in order to eliminate the problem of capitals/no capitals.

Aye, I'll agree with the idea of a surname, as long as it's made clear to new players (when they create their character) exactly how their name is going to look; something like....You have selected JackSparrow as your name. Proceed or Rename?
Hermit Smurrf
[Nov 10, 2003 10:24:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

There's always the option of allowing people up to two capital letters and one space in their name, which has no effect on the usage of /who or /tell and is only used for client display, and then simply making references to character case neutral (I think they are atm though) and making them ignore spaces.

Apart from characters named O O or V V I can't imagine much abuse for this- and the devs could deliberately register any such boring names and keep them inactive.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Nov 10, 2003 10:44:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
akebia

54x wrote: 
There's always the option of allowing people up to two capital letters and one space in their name, which has no effect on the usage of /who or /tell and is only used for client display, and then simply making references to character case neutral (I think they are atm though) and making them ignore spaces.

If we have a "Jack" and a "Jack Sparrow", then what happens when I type "/tell Jack Sparrow Ahoy"? Does Jack get a two-word message, or does Jack Sparrow get a one-word message?
[Nov 10, 2003 11:11:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kilbia

Nemo wrote: 
Part of The Plan (which guides The List) is that people would earn their adjectives

Oooh, I like this! Outdrink an NPP and earn the adjective of "Drunken". Or maybe the real trick is that you have to *lose* to hir instead! ;)
Fetal Pirate courtesy of http://www.queenofwands.net/
[Nov 11, 2003 1:35:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

in that case you would have type the name without the space. The idea being that all the names really have no spaces at all in them, but that you're allowed to make them display one space. I can see how this would confuse newbies.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Nov 11, 2003 10:25:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

as i see it, it's either no spaces or extra caps whatsoever, or make the first letter of the name automatically capital, and just allow one cap within the name.

so your Mc's and Mac's can get accurate names, and the worst you can get for alt caps are TwO CaPs IN A WoRd which, while vaguely annoying in short words, is no big deal in long ones.

Of course once we allow middle caps for the McEacherns and the MacDuffs among us, do we have to add in ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? and ? ? Once you start being equal oppertunity, you have to see it through.
[Nov 11, 2003 10:46:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

54x wrote: 
in that case you would have type the name without the space. The idea being that all the names really have no spaces at all in them, but that you're allowed to make them display one space. I can see how this would confuse newbies.

Then what happens if there is a JackSparrow and a Jack Sparrow?
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Nov 11, 2003 10:55:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

I think he might be talking about letting us make minor changes to the names like ye can on AIM (though AIM allows you to format your screen name much more freely). on the AIM system, your name is considered case-insensetive (doesn't matter how someone adding you types it in, they still see you), but ye can format it however ye like (extra spaces, random capital letters, the like). PP shouldn't allow for THAT much creativity though.

As an example, I'll use me own AIM screen name. Ye could add SSC Thunderbird (which is how I've got it formatted) or SSCThunderbird, and ye'd get the same result. Heck, ye could add s s c t h u n d e r b i r d and ye'd proabably STILL add me correctly :P. I think this is what 54x is thinking about.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Nov 11, 2003 11:01:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Greasy wrote: 

My idea was, as stated directly above, that your usename is actually jacksparrow, regardless of whether you ask it to show your name to other people as Jacksparrow, JacKsparrow, or jACksp arrow.

I'm thinking just allow the option of no capitals, first letter capitals, and two custom captials, but without the space, in order to be less confusing. That way, I wouldn't get:

/JacK sparrow tells you: Ahoy!/

[ /tell jack sparrow ahoy! ]

\You told Jack: sparrow ahoy!\

[ Barnacle! ]

<Diamondblade says: Barnacle!>

[ /tell jacksparrow ahoy!]

\You told JacK sparrow: ahoy! \

from Midnight.
[Nov 11, 2003 11:22:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
drewmetoo

54x wrote: 
Greasy wrote: 

My idea was, as stated directly above, that your usename is actually jacksparrow, regardless of whether you ask it to show your name to other people as Jacksparrow, JacKsparrow, or jACksp arrow.

I'm thinking just allow the option of no capitals, first letter capitals, and two custom captials, but without the space, in order to be less confusing. That way, I wouldn't get:

/JacK sparrow tells you: Ahoy!/

[ /tell jack sparrow ahoy! ]

\You told Jack: sparrow ahoy!\

[ Barnacle! ]

<Diamondblade says: Barnacle!>

[ /tell jacksparrow ahoy!]

\You told JacK sparrow: ahoy! \

I really feel sorry for the person with a character named Jack... although they might pick up a few interesting snippets of gossip!
For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century
But still, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral
I am the very model of a modern Major-General
[Nov 11, 2003 1:34:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Jack is a dev, so it might be more useful if they were instead talking about the latest patch ;)
from Midnight.
[Nov 11, 2003 3:35:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Kilbia

What do you say to a person playing a character named Jack Sparrow?

"Sorry for hitting you with this dead cat, sir."
Fetal Pirate courtesy of http://www.queenofwands.net/
[Nov 11, 2003 11:11:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates