• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 151
Posts: 151   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 32406 times and has 150 replies Next Thread
Fava

Pirate Paparazzi - Win a Red Monkey! [Winners announced] Reply to this Post

Click here for announcement of winners

I heard it through the beanstalk that the gods up on Mount Olympus have been snickering behind my back about an unfortunate affair involving myself and a particularly seedy character. To turn the tables, I need you, bold pirates of the YPP oceans, to dig up some dirt on the Ringers.

I am offering rewards for the piratey paparazzi that catch the OMs or developers when they are the least attractive and most vulnerable. Snap a picture of the god and give me a snappy headline. The creator of the best tabloid cover will go home with a red monkey, for making blushing fools out of the Ringers.

The VERY Important Rules (if you are found to be breaking these rules, you WILL be disqualified):
  • DO NOT STALK, FOLLOW, PM, OR OTHERWISE ATTEMPT TO CONTACT ANY OCEAN MASTER OR DEVELOPER REGARDING THIS EVENT. The Ringers will not reply to your questions. You are encouraged to make up your headline; it doesn't have to be true.
  • All material in your entry - pictures, headlines, and sub-headlines - must be forum-appropriate. This applies to both language and images. If a word would be filtered, use the filtered version in your entry.

What to include in your entry:
  • Entrants will create the cover to a tabloid (see the example links to real tabloids below). You'll have to come up with an original name for the publication and invent a headline for your feature article.
  • The cover should include a picture of an OM or developer in a compromizing (but still publishable!) situation. This picture can be cut-and-paste, hand-drawn or computer-drawn art, or a photograph. It must be original work and it should look appropriate for a tabloid cover picture.
  • The cover you create should also include the title of the publication, the headline for the story, and perhaps a sub-headline or a poignant quote from the featured article.
  • Entries should be between 250 and 750 pixels per side.

How to submit an entry:
  • Entries must be jpegs, gifs, or pngs no larger than 1.5MB each.
  • Submit your entries by email to favaevents@gmail.com.
  • Include your pirate name and ocean in the subject line of the email. (For instance, my subject would be "Fava - Hunter.")
  • In the body of the email, please repeat your pirate name and ocean and provide the order in which you prefer the prizes listed below.
  • The deadline for submission is Feb 18 at 11:59PM pirate time. All emails timestamped after that time will be ignored.
  • Do not post entries here. If submitted properly, entries will be anonymous to allow for completely fair judging. Posting here compromizes the anonymity and will lead to disqualification. When the judging is complete, I will make all of the entries available for public viewing.

Prizes:

The top ten winners will choose in order of placing from the list below:

• Red monkey familiar
  • Sleeping turtle furniture
  • Stone figurine (rare furniture)
  • Sloop, renamed Tabloid Starfish
  • Fancy ribbon trinket (red/yellow)
  • Bouquet of orchids trinket (red)
  • Orchid trinket (red)
  • Conch shell trinket (red)
  • Ribbon trinket (red/yellow)
  • Handkerchief trinket (red/yellow)

Honorable mentions will each receive a red starfish trinket.

This thread should be used for any questions you may have regarding this event. Should you, for whatever reason, prefer to ask your questions in-game, you can hunt me down on Hunter as my alter-ego Polly.

Example real-world tabloids:

The National Enquirer
The Weekly World News
The Sun
----------------------------------------
Hiding from Hades on Hunter

FO of Flocktarts on Hunter
Exiled Captain of Pod People and Queen of Stalkers on Cobalt
Former Governor of Lima
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Apollo at Feb 24, 2007 2:05:23 AM]
[Jan 17, 2007 6:43:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
freddunkins

Re: Pirate Paparazzi - Win a Red Money! [Deadline Feb 18th] Reply to this Post

Good grief, I thought the title said "Real Money," so I think, Billions of Blue Blistering Barnecles!

The title is mispelled, money instead of monkey ;). Might want to get an OM to edit that.
Kevlar on Hunter
Former Captain of Southern Cross, Prince of Treasure Hunters. Died many months ago.
Reborn 3/5/08 and in the process of rebuilding my pirate
[Jan 17, 2007 7:01:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fava

Re: Pirate Paparazzi - Win a Red Money! [Deadline Feb 18th] Reply to this Post

Oh for the love of...

*bangs head on desk repeatedly*

Yes, the top prize is a MONKEY. I don't have nearly enough cash to go painting it red and mailing it out to fellow pirates.

Former Governor of Lima
[Jan 17, 2007 7:14:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fava

Judging Criteria Reply to this Post

I was just asked what the judging criteria would be for this event, so here's what the judges will be looking for, in no particular order:

• Does the entry look like a tabloid cover?
  • Is the headline appropriate for a tabloid?
  • Is the headline amusing and original?
  • Does the art correspond well to the headline?
  • Quality of art - if it's drawn, is it drawn well? If photo, is it staged well? If cut-and-paste, is it done so in a clean way?
  • Is the title of the publication appropriate and/or funny for a YPP tabloid?
  • Overall feel - Did you make us laugh? Would it catch our attention in the grocery-store checkout? Will it help me blackmail the Ringers?

If art is not your strong suit, creativity and humor can win significant points if you choose a good headline. If art is your strong suit, use it - but don't forget that the headline will also be extremely important. The headline is your punchline - make sure it doesn't fall flat.

Former Governor of Lima
[Jan 17, 2007 7:55:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
freddunkins

Re: Judging Criteria Reply to this Post

Should we actually write up an article to stick in the tabloid, or just fill it will lorem ipsum?

In other words, will any text but the headline be judged?
Kevlar on Hunter
Former Captain of Southern Cross, Prince of Treasure Hunters. Died many months ago.
Reborn 3/5/08 and in the process of rebuilding my pirate
[Jan 17, 2007 8:11:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fava

Re: Judging Criteria Reply to this Post

Your entire entry should be contained in the image. You should not write an article, but you are welcome to include a sub-headline or quote in addition to the headline. The sub-headline should also appear on the cover image you create.

An example headline and subheadline that ran when I was governor:

Governor Stinks!
Fava flatly denies flatulence. Protests "It wasn't me!"

Former Governor of Lima
[Jan 17, 2007 10:16:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gov_Marley

Re: Pirate Paparazzi - Win a Red Monkey! [Deadline Feb 18th] Reply to this Post

So make it look like the cover we would pick up at a grocery store? We can include the main photo of an OM and some other sub photos of different OMs?
Ladyturner but Please Call me LT

Just me

Cobalt
[Jan 17, 2007 10:27:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fava

So make it look like the cover we would pick up at a grocery store? We can include the main photo of an OM and some other sub photos of different OMs?

You may include sub-photos and headlines for lesser articles, but the only artwork and headline required will be for the main article. Quality will be stressed over quantity with regards to the headlines and pictures.

Also, regardless of how you choose to lay out your cover, all entries must be submitted as a single image.

Former Governor of Lima
[Jan 17, 2007 10:32:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ray_Leo

Are you telling us to make a cover for a newspaper? with topic about what is in the newspaper?
Sharkiez, Sage
My first comic
[Jan 18, 2007 3:10:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
johnboring

Are we limited to one entry Polly?
Boring. Hunter.
[Jan 18, 2007 7:48:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Discojack

the link exmaples shown are internet kindof newspaper frontages
is that what you are looking for or a more conventional printed morning paper ?
When God gives you lemons
Find a new God!

Viprince
[Jan 18, 2007 9:14:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zandia

This is going to be so much fun...I got the whole thing all planned out (in my head)... muahahahaha!!!

But with one month to go, I think I will wait until it's close to the deadline to unveil my counterfeit creation. XD
Teh Eighth
[Jan 18, 2007 11:25:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fava

Sharkiez wrote: 
Are you telling us to make a cover for a newspaper? with topic about what is in the newspaper?

Yes, that is what is required for this contest. But it shouldn't be a traditional newspaper with real news. It should be a tabloid gossip paper, with dirt on the Ringers.

Boring wrote: 
Are we limited to one entry Polly?

I will not limit you to one entry (since with alts this really isn't possible), but I can assure you it is in your best interest to submit one entry of a very high quality as opposed to several entries of lower quality.

Discojack wrote: 
the link exmaples shown are internet kindof newspaper frontages
is that what you are looking for or a more conventional printed morning paper ?

I am looking for you to create an image more like the printed covers of the tabloids.

The links were provided primarily for examples of tabloid publications, particularly the kinds of gossip they publish. If you search those sites, you can also find images of their printed front pages. Think of what you see in the grocery store checkout line and design your entry accordingly.

Zandia wrote: 
This is going to be so much fun...I got the whole thing all planned out (in my head)... muahahahaha!!!

But with one month to go, I think I will wait until it's close to the deadline to unveil my counterfeit creation. XD

I will not make any entries available for public viewing until after judging concludes, so if you would like to submit your entry early, you do not need to worry about anyone else copying your ideas or otherwise making a derivative entry.

Former Governor of Lima
[Jan 18, 2007 11:57:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gsdogizzle

Will the monkey also be an option for Opal as well?

Oceanus tells you, "Tell all the greenies to stop stealing from each other!"

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=57196&offset=0
[Jan 18, 2007 12:13:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
karlathemex

Will the monkey also be an option for Opal as well?

yeah, is this on any ocean, or just hunter?
pazy on midnight
[Jan 18, 2007 3:10:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fiddlesticks

Entries should be between 250 and 750 pixels per side.

Is this 250 w x 750 h? Or minimum 250x250 and maximum 750x750?
Am asking because that is a weird proportion for covers as a 250 width cover would be proportionately 300 pixels in height.
Muffy's Princess
Idol on all oceans
Idol says, "That's why you love me"
Muffbeard says, "nope, I love you because there is no one else like you and I can't imagine not having you in my life =)"
[Jan 18, 2007 4:08:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
thebuddy229

im sueing you for reading my mind

I was gonna run a pirate paparazi where you had to take screenies of certain pirates

this is an art contest though not a screenie one right?
dudedude
officer of a crew he cant spell
member of riddle makers
event runner person

[Jan 18, 2007 4:34:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fava

[quote=Idol"][quote]Entries should be between 250 and 750 pixels per side.[/quote]

Is this 250 w x 750 h? Or minimum 250x250 and maximum 750x750?
Am asking because that is a weird proportion for covers as a 250 width cover would be proportionately 300 pixels in height.[/quote]

You can choose whatever proportion you find appropriate, as long as no side is less than 250 pixels, and no side is longer than 750 pixels. So the maximum is 750x750 and the minimum is 250x250. Entries do not have to be square. I set such a wide range for size limits just so people wouldn't be disqualified for slight variations. Use whatever looks best to you within this reasonable size range.

[quote]this is an art contest though not a screenie one right?[/quote]

This is in part an art contest, so pure screenshots will not score well. Cut-and-paste that employs portions of screenshots, however, could score highly if done well and paired with a suitable headline.

[quote]yeah, is this on any ocean, or just hunter?[/quote]

The contest is NOT just for Hunter. It is certainly for all English-speaking oceans. I am currently double-checking with the OMs about Opal.

Former Governor of Lima
[Jan 18, 2007 5:05:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zandia

So do you want us to send you an email with an attachment or an email with a link to the picture?
Teh Eighth
[Jan 18, 2007 10:28:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jennygalaxy

is 270743 bytes too much?
How much is a mega byte?
Jennygalaxy, formally Cobalt, now Meridian Ocean.
[Jan 19, 2007 7:35:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jennylikesgalaxy [Link]  Go to top 
Fava

So do you want us to send you an email with an attachment or an email with a link to the picture?

Because of the way I am making pictures available to judges, I will have to save your image to a folder on my computer either way, so it is your choice whether to send an attachment or a link, but either way the file size limit applies. If you send a link, it is in your best interest to make sure your picture is hosted at a site that will allow me to download a full-resolution version.

is 270743 bytes too much?

Nope. A megabyte is about 1 million bytes.

Former Governor of Lima
[Jan 19, 2007 8:47:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jennygalaxy

Well I'm ready to send my entry in then!
If I suddenly realise a typo or something in my entry, can email you another one?
Although I think its ok..
/me reads the rules again just to check.
Jennygalaxy, formally Cobalt, now Meridian Ocean.
[Jan 19, 2007 9:52:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jennylikesgalaxy [Link]  Go to top 
Fava

If I suddenly realise a typo or something in my entry, can email you another one?
Although I think its ok..
/me reads the rules again just to check.

Yes, if you make any changes to your entry, it is ok to send another draft. For the sake of my inbox, though, please proofread your entry before sending it to limit the volume of updated entries.

Former Governor of Lima
[Jan 19, 2007 10:49:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
crosby1

I may have missed this but is there an entry limit?
*Bumpkins*
*SO of NORTHERN LIGHTS
*Princess of NORTHERN LIGHTS*
[Jan 19, 2007 4:28:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fava

I may have missed this but is there an entry limit?

As I said a dozen posts up:

Fava wrote: 
I will not limit you to one entry (since with alts this really isn't possible), but I can assure you it is in your best interest to submit one entry of a very high quality as opposed to several entries of lower quality.

I strongly recommend putting together a single entry of as high a quality as possible, rather than submitting many entries that will likely be less refined than you could make just one.

Former Governor of Lima
[Jan 19, 2007 4:54:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IVdripper

/me searches furiously for her Key West picture of Roparzh passed out by the bidet next to Hypnos' fuzzy pink bunny slippers.

IV(who wants to live until her next birthday, so bags that idea)

IVdripper/IVdripperone

"They sicken of the calm who know the storm."
-- Dorothy Parker
[Jan 19, 2007 9:36:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    On the porch, with my friends, drinking brandy,    watching the sea, and talking 'bout the good ol' days. [Link]  Go to top 
Fava

IVdripper wrote: 
/me searches furiously for her Key West picture of Roparzh passed out by the bidet next to Hypnos' fuzzy pink bunny slippers.

You can email it to me anyway. I promise no one else will ever get hold of it...

You believe me, right? Sure you do!

Former Governor of Lima
[Jan 19, 2007 10:05:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zandia

My laptop's backlight just burned out, which means no Photoshop for me this time around...desktop does not have it...must...get...creative!

Oh well, I'll just make do with Word & Paint.
Teh Eighth
[Jan 20, 2007 12:04:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shallows

Help me to understand something please.

Do we acctually have to find one of the OM's somewhere in the game to get get a snapshot? Or can we make our own art?

Just curious, thanks.
Rudoc on the Viridian Ocean, Prince of La Dolce Vita, Fleet Officer of the crew Ocean Raiders.
[Jan 20, 2007 1:52:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IVdripper

soon to be bean dip wrote: 
IVdripper wrote: 

You can email it to me anyway. I promise no one else will ever get hold of it...

You believe me, right? Sure you do!

I didn't realize you had a death wish.

IV(who loves bean dip)

IVdripper/IVdripperone

"They sicken of the calm who know the storm."
-- Dorothy Parker
[Jan 20, 2007 3:08:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    On the porch, with my friends, drinking brandy,    watching the sea, and talking 'bout the good ol' days. [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 151   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates